Aspiring martial artist seeking advice

Kaji

The Phillipines were invaded over and over by a variety of invaders, and they tried to develop a quick way to teach folks to kill invaders.

I actually make a joke about this when I teach Escrima that the Phillipines are the only nation in the world that has been conquered more times than Ireland (I'm Irish). Still, fantastic arts.

Kaji - I had another thought for you after I walked away from my first post. Remember that you can't start a D&D campaign as a level 2 multi-class character. You have to build your character as a level 1 solo class of some sort. Also, there is a sweet spot for multi-classing in D&D. If you do it too soon you drastically lower the survivability of your character. The level 1 Warrior/1 Wizard/1 Cleric/1 Rogue is fairly useless compared to any level 4 single class. If you do it too late, there is little benefit to be had. A level 18 Warrior would benefit much more from 2 more levels of Warrior than he would from 2 levels of Wizard. The time to think of multi-classing would be around level 7-9.

Martial arts are no different. Starting TKD, Boxing, and Aikido at the exact same time would do more harm than good. They all have some merit, but a lot of those merits seem to be in conflict with each other at first. Also, an extremely skilled master who has put 50 years of training into Goju ryu Karate probably has no reason to take up Savate in the bottom of the ninth. What will it really give him that is valuable? I have a few reasons I have taken the path I chose:

1) I have ADD. Martial arts have helped me to adapt to this aspect of who I am. Sometimes the best way for me to do that is to do something fresh for a little while and then come back to my main focus.

2) I like to have a comparative understanding of skills. There is a difference between the way the Chinese, Okinawan, and Korean arts all perform a Side Kick. I am capable of readily showing the differences. This give me the ability to really make a decision on which one is best for me. Remember the old saying, "When you only have a hammer, you want to nail everything!" or something like that ;) 

3) Martial arts training is my own personal crack cocaine. I tell people that Taekwondo is the marijuana of the martial arts. It is the gateway drug that people start with. You might do it for awhile and decide it is not for you. You might do it and decide it is exactly your speed and continue forever. Or you might do it and then realize it is no longer enough for your buzz and move on to more hardcore things. lol

With all my training, I define myself as a striker. I am not a grappler or a weapons expert. Do I have training in them? Yep. But those are augments to what is my "go to"

skill. You will not catch me at a BJJ tournament trying to compete. In the MMA world if you are a grappler, I will try to make sure I play my game better than you play yours. If you put me in a real fight, I will use anything at my command, but my preference will be to strike and kick you. If I joint lock you, it is most likely to imbalance you enough for me to knock your block off and not because I am trying to control you.

• Like 3

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

I had another thought for you after I walked away from my first post. Remember that you can't start a D&D campaign as a level 2 multi-class character. You have to build your character as a level 1 solo class of some sort. Also, there is a sweet spot for multi-classing in D&D. If you do it too soon you drastically lower the survivability of your character. The level 1 Warrior/1 Wizard/1 Cleric/1 Rogue is fairly useless compared to any level 4 single class. If you do it too late, there is little benefit to be had. A level 18 Warrior would benefit much more from 2 more levels of Warrior than he would from 2 levels of Wizard. The time to think of multi-classing would be around level 7-9.

36530-ryan-stiles-love-it-gif-dg7r.gif

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I would take the free 1 week in all of them if I were you. While martial arts is personal, physics is not. And the enemy gets a vote on how awesome your martial arts work. All of the above styles had some soul searching after the first UFC matches came out. Many of the arts are adjusting their training due to MMA testing, so criticisms of historic weak points in the art may have had in the 90s may be addressed the individual school.

I once asked an Akijujitsu instructor about going to the ground with a Brazilian jujitsu practitioner, he was very honest that I would get destroyed by a BJJ guy on the ground even if I took his class for years. It's best to take instruction from a person that is honest with what they can and can't provide.  

I went to a "Kung Fu" place that practiced in a Japanese Gi. I won't mention the name of the style. They were obviously drawing in Kung Fu movie fans. The claim of historic lineage was laughable. They did a lot of what I would call "tricking", fancy moves that looked cool but were low probability of success. Yet, when the students started sparing, none of the tricking came out and they were working some really street practical scenarios. Bottom line, the senior instructor was ensuring good training, and still teaching cool Hollywood tricks. Kung Fu has a lot of magical thinking appeal. As long as you train realistic scenarios, who cares. Parkour guys can trick and still move through obstacles. Why can't martial artists trick, as long as they can fight too. I know I'm going to get flamed by some kung fu guys, but it seems to me as an outsider that a lot of kung fu that some people are more fascinated with lineage than training.

3. Traditional Akido had a pretty brutal attitude from what I understand. But many schools went kind of hippie in the 70s and I'm not sure Steven Segal helped the community or hurt it. Aiki means "Joining Spirit", and that can appeal to one's inner hippie, but what that really means in martial terms has more to do with physics than philosophy. (that I can attest to from Akijujitsu). While wrist locks, standing arm locks, and large circle takedowns are rarely used in MMA, they are used all the time by police and bouncers. Most of what I see in modern Akido breaks down in a "fight" where both sides are prepared.  I got this from a person that practiced Akido for twenty years, then got mugged. He did get the weapon out of the muggers hand (Yeah Akido) but then it was just a fight between two untrained guys after that, his words not mine.

Middle Age Mutant Ninja Panda

Monk Level 13, Epic Quest Level 3

Academy Class Achievements: General=21, Academy=12, Ranger=11, Warrior=8, Scout=14, Assassin=15, Monk 7, Druid 8, Adventurer 29,

This thread has been fascinating. I had no idea there were so many martial arts I hadn't heard of. I do tae kwon do, and I love it because it's made me faster/more aware of my movement/much more flexible already and I'm only a yellow belt. My teacher is wonderful too, having once held two national and one international titles simultaneously. I think its very important to find a good teacher, that's what everyone says anyway. My favourite part is definitely sparring, which doesn't feel too much like belt-mill choreographed dance, although there's an element of that too haha. So yeah, from my personal experience (which isn't much) - the tae kwon do has been brilliant!

• Like 1

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I found this thread really helpful. I took pai lum kung fu in high school and the hand to hand combat we did in the army was based on BJJ but it's been years since I did any martial art, and I would like to get back into it. I'll have the money to commit to joining a MA gym in June, I think, so I'm taking the opportunity between now and then to try a few different things. I got a group on for a month of kickboxing and a month of parkour to start with (not in the same month, of course). Since I just joined I think this is a good chance for me to start doing something I really want to do, and I have found some of these threads so inspiring. 

Level 8 Asura Warrior

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 [10]