• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SuperXM1ke

Knee pain during pushups and planks

Hey guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. If not, I love guidance...

Anyway, here goes: when I'm doing pushups or planks I get pain in my left knee. It gets pretty painful and pretty much buckles, I take that foot off the ground and finish my set with only my right foot on the ground and my left resting on top of my right. I'm getting through everything but it's painful and annoying. I stretch it often, there's absolutely no pain during my squats or sprints, and I bike to work every day and it stays fine. The only time I experience pain is during planks and pushups. Also, as soon as I let that leg rest and don't apply any force to it the pain slowly fades and leaves completely. I haven't tried using a brace or wrapping it yet, and also haven't rested it yet... which are logical first steps I suppose. I just don't want to lose my workout routine because a small subset of my workouts cause non-lingering pain. Does anyone else have any ideas or input? Thanks guys.

I'm one of those things and on the way to being the second but you can't diagnose anything without seeing it in person. Still, it can't hurt to try and whittle the diagnosis down a bit.

What do you mean by 'buckles'? Does it sag? If so, does the lower leg sag in front of the upper leg or the other way round in the pushup? Sagging in full extension (like this) is usually the lower leg over the upper suggesting an anterior cruciate laxity or tear, but that'd be unusual without preceding injury. Symptoms fit, though.

Does it ever feel unstable? Does it ever lock (in flexion or extension) or feel like it's going to?

I'd still go to see someone but I don't know how long that takes where you are. Here in the UK it'd be a few weeks before you got to see someone other than your family doctor so there's a good few things you could be doing in the meantime to help it.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna see someone about it in about a week (gotta love free clinics, right?). I'm in grad school now and all my med school friends have asked me about it and along with my strength increases in squats and sprint run times it seems like there's nothing wrong, but there obviously is. I guess I have been locking my knees out completely during these exercises and should try not doing it, thanks. During planks my knee doesn't sag, its just painful to the point where I don't want to use it and I lift my foot off the ground so I'm not applying pressure to my knee. It never feels unstable (it's never felt stronger) and if I want to bear the pain (almost cramp like pain to the sides of my knee, I would rate it a 6 if 10 was the worst pain I've ever felt) it is completely capable of supporting me through my full sets of all my workouts. It doesn't even hurt until maybe the 15th pushup or about 30 secs into planks so it doesn't start off quick. It was also only on and off pain at first but has become more frequent and intense within the past week. I'll keep you guys posted if you keep up with the helping! Thanks everyone.