SevenFootGeek is awesome!

SevenFootGeek

Ahem.

"Yes, it's true.  I may not be a Master Builder.  I may not have a lot of experience fighting or leading or coming up with plans.  Or having ideas in general.  In fact, I'm not all that smart.  And I'm not what you'd call a creative type.  Plus, generally unskilled.  Also, scared and cowardly.  I know what you're thinking.  he is the least qualified person in the world to lead us.  And you are right."

- Emmett, The LEGO Movie (also how I feel almost all the time)

Alright, guys.  I know I'm late.  Like, really late.  I get it.  The realization that the Spartan was coming up immediately after this challenged may have kicked my ass.  That, and nerd withdrawal from Chicago made this a bad week.  Was I posting on all of the nerds' threads whom I missed from Chicago?  Was I doing that to avoid dealing with my own training?  Maaaaybeeee....

So let's fix that.  Together.

Because everything is awesome.

I feel more awesome than an awesome possum

Lego-movie-meme-84531e880725f5a.jpg

When I lift weights, when I get under the barbell and crank out a full set, I feel amazing.  I feel like a fucking monster.  Like I could just tear down walls with my hands.  When I was in Chicago, I got to lift with bigm141414 and emcee.  These two radically sized people were just absurd.  I got tips from biggums to help me with my lifts and things felt amazing.  I watched Rob_ and Flex_Luthor benching me and a half like it was nothing.  I got to watch and learn from these incredible, strong people.  When I got back to the gym, despite my weights being way back down, I felt like I had levelled up a bunch of times.  Things just felt better.  And I want to keep feeling like that.  I can be better than an awesome possum.

Lift 3 times / week.

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

465370.jpg

The summer threw off my schedule of hapkido classes.  Though I've been focusing very heavily on my strength training, it all comes back to wanting to be a better martial artist.  I stuck with my Mondays for my black belt class, but I need to get back to at least twice a week.  My wife is no longer on call on Thursdays (which used to be my go-to day) so I can take the car and make that happen.  I want to spend more time with my cool team.

Go to hapkido 2x / week.

Everything is better when we stick together

tumblr_n6h2pk2Y161qdfs7xo6_250.gif

Know what I hate more than anything?  Running.  Running sucks balls.  It is the worst thing there ever was.  But, there's this thing in Boston.  It's called the Spartan Sprint.  Stupid running.  I hate you, RP.  I really do.  This is your fault.  So, I guess I'm going to be running?  But I won't have to do it alone.  I blackmailed convinced my wife to do the Sprint with me, so we are going to run together.  And we're going to do it on my terms.  See, behind our house there's this great sodding hill with a walking path going right over it.  We're going to get up early three times a week together and run up that bastard five times.  Is that the equivalent of doing the November Project some unholy number of times?  No, it's not.  But from a not-running lifestyle to one where one can sprint up sharp inclines (or, I don't know, stadium stairs) this feels like good training.

Run the hills 3x / week.

A Nobel prize, a piece of string.  You know what's awesome?  EVERYTHING!

il_340x270.571387063_6qzx.jpg

And now, tacos!  Wait, hold on.  Food is always my nemesis.  Too many times, I end up cobbling together a sort-of-meal from whatever I can scrounge in the house.  Grocery shopping?  Fah!  Meal planning?  A pox upon it!  I can do better than that.  Breakfast is covered.  I've ground that into myself that I need a good meal to start the day.  I don't do cereal, so I've got to prepare food that I can actually eat (yay, celiac!).  But my lunches are usually a collection of snacks or, more usually, a tiny snack that just leaves me weary and cranky.  And my dinners are what I pick up at the grocery store that night probably 5 days of the week.  That's gotta stop.  In light of leftovers being a thing, my goal is to plan 4 dinners and make sure I have a plan for my lunches during the work week.

4 planned dinners and 5 lunches / week

And that's it, nerds.  Super late, but trying to get myself back on track. 

• Like 2

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

It's all good, man. As long as you're charging on, right? We'll charge with you.

Hillsprints are the way of great athletes. The hill can and will always humble you.

And leftovers are very a thing. They make the whole 'eating lots of healthy food' thing crazy easy if you do it right.

You got this, man.

Yo, awesome giant. Don't slow down for me. I'll run while you walk

Except I'm going to be running about half the time.  What will you do then?  :P

It's all good, man. As long as you're charging on, right? We'll charge with you.

Hillsprints are the way of great athletes. The hill can and will always humble you.

And leftovers are very a thing. They make the whole 'eating lots of healthy food' thing crazy easy if you do it right.

You got this, man.

We've been bad about leftovers, largely making meals that are just enough for the two of us.  But things are on the uptick!

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Let me give you a lowdown of my week with regards to keeping to goals.

Nerd crash is a thing.  Staying in a condo with 8 other nerds, having constant nerd-stimulus and hanging out with basically amazing people is like having a constant feed of energy and intensity.  Those three days were AWESOME.  Then we were in a car for 10 hours to get home.  Monday was a hard crash day.  Slept poorly, ate poorly, did not go to class (first black belt class missed in almost 4 months), did not exercise.  Generally garbage.  BUT, we made a plan for our meals, went grocery shopping, and I made some lovely pork chops, mashed squash/parsnip/carrot and a pile of broccoli.  Like, literally just a pile of broccoli.  Cooked how?  With a knife.  Just raw broccoli.  That's how tired I was.

I made a roast on Tuesday with roasted potatoes and carrots.  Finally got the pan size right to cook a roast, so that turned out pretty darned tasty, and has provided fuel for a number of leftover-based meals.  Wednesday saw us hosting a littlewings and we made tacos.  I love tacos.  Thursday had Sandylion making a pretty darned tasty black bean and salsa soup.  Did we take advantage of our leftover guacamole to beef up the soup?  Indeed we did.  And then I went to class.  Picked up OptimusPrimarch from the bus station and then had my first taste of running the whole freaking class by myself.  The grand master was working with the red belts, so I was left to my own devices to divide the class and circulate and teach everyone in bits and pieces.  Yesterday, we went to the gym and, with the tips from super-strong Warriors, I felt like a monster again, even lifting tiny baby weights.  Dinner was leftover roast, which is what it's for.

And this morning, to round off my catch-up, I got up at 6:15 on a Saturday to go and run up hills for half an hour.  My legs are a little achy, but I intend to stretch out, take a hot shower and let the rest of the day be rest for my poor, beleaguered muscles.

Not bad for not writing up the challenge until last night, eh?

• Like 2

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Know all those times you made fun of me for running? This is my revenge. :D

Nerd withdrawal is real. November is going to be just as epic. The 15th will be awesome. The 17th, terrible.

Get going!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Hello!

I was wondering if I'd see a new thread from you.

I still haven't been able to delete the awesome text chain you forced at Cheechoe.    Memories.   Feels.

I has them.

49744-So-many-feels-gif-YfWK.gif

• Like 2

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I've had the lego song stuck in my head for days.  But lucky for me, it's pretty awesome!

135153-risk-of-awesome-today-meme-ext-oS

I also ran the hills... 

RP is getting a shot in the arm in Boston. And AgentSka.  Hill running is their fault.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

RP is getting a shot in the arm in Boston.

WHY AM I ALWAYS GETTING PUNCHED BY NERDS!?!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Shorter legs work better on hills. Just sayin'.

Churn and burn with a fast leg turn.. over.

What are these hills you speak of?  This is in preparation for the Fenway Spartan Sprint.  We're doing stairs, tiny legs.  My natural prey.

So, you're doing....awesome. I still haven't recovered from the crash. The feels are everywhere. Meanwhile I couldn't even theme my challenge. Yep. You're definitely awesome.

I'm still deep in crash mode.  Fortunately, I've got nerds who text me a lot and remind that...

Wait for it...

Keep waiting....

Indeed, everything is awesome.

WHY AM I ALWAYS GETTING PUNCHED BY NERDS!?!

If it makes you feel any better, I'll be putting you in wrist locks in Boston.  Lots and lots of wrist locks.

I get punched too. I'm calling it love. Painful love

Good to know.  I can punch Wuf and she'll accept it as affection.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Well, today was a day of hard nerd-crash.  I did not want to go to the gym.  I made a point of psyching myself out of going to the gym.  I was tired and haven't slept well.  DOMS were hitting me really hard.  I missed all my lovely nerds.  Bad brain places all day long.

But my wife came home and said, "Let's go to the gym.  We have time before it closes."  And you know what?  I didn't argue with her.  I didn't fight her.  I went and did my full workout.  Today was squats, OHP and deadlifts.  Two of my three favourite exercises.  Stretched it all out afterwards and came home to a delicious homemade soup, which I will talk about later.

I talked to a lot of nerds today to combat the bad feels and tried to replace them with good ones.  I was about 90% successful.  There's still some bad feels there, but I came out with a story which made me laugh.  More on this later.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Cooked how?  With a knife.  Just raw broccoli.  That's how tired I was.

dont be hating on raw brocoli! i pretty much only eat brocoli raw (some days even for breakfast) and it is freaking delicious :D

I talked to a lot of nerds today to combat the bad feels and tried to replace them with good ones.  I was about 90% successful.  There's still some bad feels there, but I came out with a story which made me laugh.  More on this later.

thats great yo, glad to see you smashing out this challenge :) looking forward to hearing your story!

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

dont be hating on raw brocoli! i pretty much only eat brocoli raw (some days even for breakfast) and it is freaking delicious :D

thats great yo, glad to see you smashing out this challenge :) looking forward to hearing your story!

I'm sorry HLS, you are wrong. Raw broccoli is only suitable for punishing transgressions of heinous magnitude.... I don't know what I did to deserve it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Well, today was a day of hard nerd-crash.  I did not want to go to the gym.  I made a point of psyching myself out of going to the gym.  I was tired and haven't slept well.  DOMS were hitting me really hard.  I missed all my lovely nerds.  Bad brain places all day long.

But my wife came home and said, "Let's go to the gym.  We have time before it closes."  And you know what?  I didn't argue with her.  I didn't fight her.  I went and did my full workout.  Today was squats, OHP and deadlifts.  Two of my three favourite exercises.  Stretched it all out afterwards and came home to a delicious homemade soup, which I will talk about later.

HAY, I got no love from you. oh. wait. we traded book-of-faces nonsense.

you're.. somewhat forgiven. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry HLS, you are wrong. Raw broccoli is only suitable for punishing transgressions of heinous magnitude.... I don't know what I did to deserve it!

but you can pretend youre a giant eating a tiny forest! and its crunchy and tasty and amazing. 

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Alright, my little nerdlings.  Settle in and let me tell you a story.  This story is true, except where it's not.

There was once a man with the aspect of a fiery bird of prey on the rise.  This man, for all of his virtue, is a dick.  When a friend is alone and hungry, one does not send him photos of the bounties of the sea prepared in glorious technicolour.  That is monstrous.

The next day, still alone, still hungry, I began my revenge.

It began with a pan full of leeks.

IMG 0445

What cannot be seen is that these leeks, carefully trimmed, washed of the nourishing soil, are simmering in bacon fat.  Lovely, lovely bacon fat.

From this.

IMG 0446

That is batch one, my dear nerds.  If I was to be taunted with food, I would taunt in return.  Not one, not two, but THREE batches of bacon.  No less will be accepted!

What's this?  Batch number two on its way!

IMG 0447

What's that, slice of bacon?  You want me to eat you?  No, I couldn't possibly...

IMG 0448

Well, maybe I could...

IMG 0449

Now, let's see what else we can put together.  I think I can do something with these...

IMG 0450

Yes, yes!  Now into the pot with you!

IMG 0451

Season delicately with chicken broth and the potatoes may serve a purpose soon.

IMG 0452

Wait!  I've forgotten something.  Yes, it's the last tray of bacon.

IMG 0454

Now what to do with all of this bacon.  I think we'll start by making a big pile of it and chopping it to bits.

IMG 0455

Voltron Force, assemble!

IMG 0456

I think we can do better, though.  Cheese never goes amiss.

IMG 0457

You know what's amazing?  Soup you can heap up.

IMG 0458

The previous was an edited story of the day I made potato, leek and bacon soup and taunted RP with it all afternoon.  Thank you for watching.

• Like 4

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines