Lilia's first steps

Lilia

Hello, fellow nerds! I'm Lilia and this is my first challenge. I am a few days late, but I figured that it's better to join the challenge a few days late than wait for the next one. 

I am a 22-year old girl and I've always been chubby. In my mind, the thought of sports has usually been connected to a lot of shame - being slower or weaker than others or being the last one to be picked to a sports team. Failing. However, my way of thinking is changing. I have finally realized that it is fruitless to compare myself to others. I can improve and be stronger than I was yesterday! I believe that I can find a sports activity that I really look forward to doing. 

I'm currently doing my exchange studies in Amsterdam. I want to enjoy my time here, party and get more confident in being around new people - however, I also want to feel happy, healthy and comfortable in my own skin. am trying to find a balace between the social aspect of the exchange student life (aka partying), healthy eating and exercise. 

Main quest: Make healthy habits a normal part of my life.

I have tried strict diets before and failed miserably. The focus on my first challenge is therefore on building healthy habits that last. I want to create a solid foundation for a healthy life! During the next six weeks I want to increase both my mental and physical strength. 

Side quests

1) Go to gym two times a week. 

I want to create a habit of going to a gym. I am looking forward to tracking my process and seeing myself get stronger!

2) Go for a 10-minute walk every day. 

The 10-minute walk is more about building a healthy habit than actually excercising. I want to overcome the difficulty of starting - of getting out of that front door. My quest is to repeat this every day for the next six weeks. No excuses. The walk can be longer than 10 minutes if I'm the mood for walking. 

3) Eat vegetables or fruits daily

I want to be the kind of person who eats vegetables and fruits daily. I am changing my eating habits towards a mostly-paleo diet and a day without veggies or fruits would be a miserable failure. 

Life quest

A trip to a new city alone. I love travelling and have spent countless hours reading blog posts about people who travel for extended periods of time. I have never really travelled alone and now it's time to challenge myself. The most scary part for me is the social part of travelling - will I find people to hang out with? Will they accept me to their company? I really want to challenge myself and go to a new city alone because then I'm going to have to socialize with new people. 

My motivation

want to feel happy, healthy and comfortable in my own skin. I want to be stronger and have more energy. I want to feel confident (and look good) naked. A big motivation for me is the fact that I'm now away from home: I'm going back on christmas and by then I'd love to look and feel better than I looked and felt like when I left. My overall goal is an increase in my strength combined with a decrease in my measurements ;) I want to change my thinking and learn to do things I thought were impossible for me: for example, I want to be able to do a pull-up one day! 

I'm a newbie at this forum and writing this post has not been easy. However, the only way to improve is to step out of my comfort zone. I need a positive community to make lasting changes in my habits - thus, I need to be brave enough to write here and commit to a challenge. I look forward to chatting with you all! 

• Like 2

Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer

Challenges: 1 2 Current

Accountability group: The Cutlasses      

STR 4 | STA 5 | DEX 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 | CHA 5 

Yay, you did it!  The first post is always the hardest ( I rewrote mine like, a hundred times ^-^;; ) but you just took a big step towards making yourself AWESOME!! :D

The community here is seriously one of the best I've ever found.  Everyone's here to work hard and support their fellow nerds and geeks unconditionally through all of their journeys.  I'm so happy I found NF, it's so hard to do it alone and I've failed multiple times... but no more!!  I've already noticed a huge uptick in my motivation to get stuff done because I know everyone else is trying to hard too!

Going to a new city alone would definitely be a little scary for me!!  That's an awesome life quest and you definitely need to post some pictures of your charge into bravery when it happens. :D

I'm subscribing to your challenge thread to cheer you on!!  Your goals are going to be a great base to change yourself for the better!  Congrats & welcome!!

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Hey Lilila , I'm KingLeeroy an Adventurer Ambassador!

Awesome to have you abroad, your goals sound great, I think this a really good base for starting getting healthy, small steps to a healthiers you, eating veg can be tough to get in some times but I know you can do it!

If you’re interested in finding more tips, stories, and motivation from Adventurers that have similar goals to yours head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find people always willing to chat. If you’d like to talk to me you can either check out my current challenge or pm me on the board.  If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial. I’ll be following your topic here as well so you’ll probably see me again anyway.

See you around and good luck with your challenge!

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Shaarawy - thank you! It feels awesome to have someone who cheers me on! KingLeeroy, thank you for the tips, I will definetely check out those links!

So far my challenge has gone quite well. I started doing the 10-minute walks on tuesday (16.9). The hardest part is to get out of the front door - I live on the fifth floor in a building that doesn't have an elevator. It makes for a great excercise, but at the same time the 73 steps can make leaving the room a bit more difficult. I have actually enjoyed the walks a lot and got some beautiful photos of canals of Amsterdam in the morning sunlight!

I managed to go to a gym twice this week - success! I am not a huge fan of the atmosphere at the two gyms I tried, but I will not let that stop me from going. So far I've focused on the beginner bodyweight routine, it feels like a great way to start! Yesterday I completed two circuits and next week I will complete three. 

Eating has gone quite well, too. There is a market close to my house and I've bought huge piles of veggies and fruits. They just taste so good! I've also been able to minimize the amount of pasta, white bread and sugar in the meals I cook for myself. Eating out is still difficult, though and alcohol has many empty calories... I'm trying to learn to make good choices :)

I'm on my second challenge and have been late twice now. No one around here sweats it too much if you're a little late, and the accountability groups are normally more than happy to let you in late if you ask [especially considering this is just ending week 1; I was welcomed by two groups around week 3ish on my 1st challenge]. The level 1 groups are a great option if you want to meet some other new folk and learn answers to beginner questions together.

Looks like the King is taking care of you with links, so I'll just say gratz on the good start!

• Like 1

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I was in Holland for almost a month about 2 years and I found the Dutch very very friendly and easy to make friends with. There's a stunning little market in Zaandam (a 14 minute train trip) and the whole place is just sweet.  I made new friends everywhere I went in Zaandam. So maybe that's a good place to start. otherwise definitely check out the NF meetups in Holland or Europe

Also cycling is a great way to get exercise in Amsterdam - awesome dedicated parking, loads of respect for cyclist and relatively level terrain. So even great for a level 1 beginner.  I enjoyed going round there by bike (and I weighed almost 300lbs at the time).

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Finding fellow nerds in Amsterdam would be awesome! Thanks for the tips, Blaidd, I'll definitely need to check out that market! Cycling in Amsterdam is really cool :)

I've done my 10-minute walk this morning. Grocery shopping felt almost like an excercise today - carrying large amounts of food up those 73 steps will surely make me stronger! 

• Like 1

It has now been one and a half week since the trip that started the change in my attitude towards healthy life. Since that weekend I've been focusing on a mostly-paleo diet and have already started to see some changes in the way I feel. I'm more hungry than before! Eating lots of vegetables feels really good - somehow, my body seems to think that I'm doing something right. 

Comfort food (especially chocolate) has always been my kryptonite, but I haven't eaten any chocolate in 1,5 weeks and haven't really missed it! I guess that it's an symptom of living in a foreign country that I crave food from my homeland - however, those cravings aren't really unhealthy! Salmon, blueberries and mushrooms are apparently my new comfort food. Rewarding myself with food is a mindset that I kind of want to get rid of, anyway. 

I've continued the 10-minute walks. I've cycled for almost 1,5 hours today just by going from place to another. Leaving to gym took a lot of willpower today, I had to remind myself that this challenge was not about going to gym twice a week if I happen to feel like it. I will go to gym twice a week, no excuses. I eventually went to the gym and completed three rounds of the beginner bodyweight workout! Feels good :) I'm currently doing the dumbbell rows with 8kg, feels like my arms are really weak. I really want work towards being stronger! 

• Like 1

Went to the gym twice this week! Both times took a lot of willpower but were very rewarding. I did my dumbbell rows with 12 kg today - feels like I might actually be getting stronger! The atmosphere of the gym wasn't as uncomfortable as previously.

I've continued the 10-minute walks and eaten lots of fruits and veggies. I have succumbed to the temptation to eat toast a few times, but I've managed to stay away from chocolate and sweets! Haven't been drinking that much alcohol either. Next week is going to be a bit difficult, as I'm leaving to Oktoberfest on thursday. The trip will be awesome! 

I don't have a scale here, but when I left home I was around 87 kg. My ideal weight would be 65(ish) kg, so there is some way to go. I've had some thyroid problems so I don't think that losing the weight will be easy - however, right now I just want to focus on gaining strength and feeling better overall. 

• Like 2

Well done on getting to the gym twice, that is awesome! It can be really intimidating, I just started going back to the gym and it is a mental exercise as much as a physical one sometimes!

Nice job on your other goals as well sounds like you've been doing really well on the avoiding sugar front!

You are ace keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

The gym is even more intimidating as the one at my home as here almost everything is in dutch ^^ The fact that I don't understand when somebody says something to/about me can be both positive and negative! Fortunately almost everyone speaks really good english here.

I'm still doing well with my challenge. I've done my 10-minute walks, they are definitely easiest if completed as the first thing in the morning. Today was a gym day, I'm still doing the beginner bodyweight workout. I managed to do 5 dumbbell rows with 16kg in each round and completed 3 rounds. My form in the squat is improving, my pushups were a bit lower than before and I managed to stay in the plank a bit longer than before. Improvement, yay! I'm working towards the courage of trying a deadlift some day, with some low weights, just to see how it feels like and what is the proper form. So far I'm still intimidated of all the dutch guys at the weightlifting room... Maybe someday :) Right now my workout goal is to be able to do that one pushup.

Eating is going fairly well. I've been eating veggies and fruits and learning more about paleo - it seems like a good direction to go. The amount of sugar in bananas and oranges came as a surprise! This week I've changed my morning oatmeal into a morning omelette and I'm trying to make better drink choices when drinking. Oktoberfest on friday-saturday will obviously be an exception, but I'm not going to let that trip stop my momentum. Maybe I'll even play Steve's vacation workout game! 

I have a break in my studies in mid-october and I think I'll fulfill my life quest then. I'm currently trying to decide where I'd like to travel. Prague would be cool! 

Overall, this progress feels really awesome. I've been in Amsterdam for over six weeks now and my life feels fairly stable. I was scared to come here as I didn't know anyone from before and wasn't sure if I'd find any people who would like to be in my company. I found out that I have some thyroid problems right before I left, so I was also scared of that affecting my time here. I was also nervous because I have a history with depression. Being in a strange country without being able to speak finnish (my native language) - I was scared of a relapse. Instead, I feel more free than I ever have before. I'm gaining positive momentum with excercise, eating, music and life overall. My studies are interesting and I've met some awesome people. Yes, I feel lonely and anxious sometimes but most of the time I feel pretty good. And when I remember all the fears that I had about coming here I feel pretty darn good! 

• Like 1

Wow, your progress is seriously motivating, especially with being in a new country... I would be terrified! You know what you have to do and you're just doing it, no fear!! You'll totally be in that weight room soon! ;)

If you choose Prague please post some photos!! I have always wanted to go, it seems beautiful/mysterious/modern and authentic all in one!

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

I will definetely post some photos if I go there!

Today's big accomplishment was trying HIIT for the first time! Running has never been my sport and I really hated it at the gym classes in school. I usually feel out of breath really quickly and I get the feeling that somebody's stabbing my side, meaning that I'm not breathing properly. At this point I'm used to walking, biking around and climbing lots of stairs, but I haven't been running for ages. Regardless, after reading the blog post of HIIT I really wanted to try. I liked it!

The workout took me maybe 30 minutes in total. I started by walking 5-ish minutes and did seven 30-second jogging/running sprints with 1,5 minute intervals (walking), trying to increase the speed of jogging/running towards the end. I completed seven sprints and the workout felt really effective! I was sweating a lot, but surprisingly 30 seconds of jogging/running didn't feel that bad. Now I know that I can push myself harder the next time :) 

Haven't been really motivated with schoolwork this week, though, as I'm so excited for the weekend!  

tumblr_mam63sGfa61qgf1i8o1_500.gif

Maybe next week will be easier :)

Eating is going quite well. I feel like I have more energy than before! Tomorrow is going to be a gym day so that I'll get my two weekly workouts done before the approaching beerfestival. I don't think that I would be doing all of this without Nerd Fitness - the push, encouragement and general feeling of being able to accomplish things here is truly amazing! 

• Like 1

I'm back from Oktoberfest now. The trip was epic and I had a lot of fun! I really recommend visiting this awesome festival. However, I really felt the effects in my body and I didn't completely succeed in my challenge.

1) Gym twice a week was a success - I went twice before the fest. Haven't yet gone this week, I'll do that tomorrow.

2) 10-minute walks. Well, we did walk in Munich, but I didn't separate from my group at any point. The status of the 10-minute walk is a bit questionable for two days. Yesterday I failed with the walk. I was so tired after the festival that a 10-minute bike trip to the grocery store was all I could do. 

3) Eating. I did succeed in eating fruits and veggies on all days! I did my best to keep a mostly-paleo eating style and that included cucumber, oranges, bananas and peppers as a bus snack (others were eating crisps, I wasn't ;) ). However, in the land of pretzls it was almost impossible to avoid white bread. And as we know from Steve's blog, beer isn't really a paleo drink. 

I came back on sunday and really felt the effect that the trip had on my body. I didn't have a hangover thanks to drinking a lot of water, but I was really tired. On sunday and monday I've been feeling physically weaker than before and my jeans feel tighter. Today has been a bit better, thankfully. I'm happy to be able to eat vegetable & protein based food again! 

I've been feeling a bit miserable as I've been looking at the photos taken of me at the festival. I gained a lot of weight last spring due to thyroid problems and a really busy schedule (no energy to take care of myself) and the pictures showed me once again my physical state. Feeling like I look ugly&fat isn't really that nice. And I know it's mostly just a feeling, not necessarily a fact! I'm on my exchange and the pictures taken here are supposed to be for good memories - I don't want to feel miserable when looking at them :(

While the trip was awesome, it did remind me of some deep insecurities that I still have. I really want to get back on track and regain the feeling that I'm making progress. 

Positive ending: I haven't eaten any chocolate or sweets since the challenge started! Yay :)

• Like 1

You can do it!!  I think the fact that you're so ready to get back into the swing of things, instead of feeling bad about things and not trying anymore, is a BIG STEP!  You can totally do this... you know what you want, and you can get there! :)

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really needed to hear those words :)

Today seems like a more positive day than yesterday. The fit of my jeans is a bit more loose again and I'm back on track on the 10-minute walks. It's time to do a 3-week summary! 

My main quest is to make healthy habits a normal part of my life. I feel like I'm making a nice progress! I haven't eaten chocolate or sweets in the three weeks and haven't really even craved them. Yesterday my friends were talking a long time about nutella pancakes and all the different kinds of cakes & desserts they want to eat - I was just nodding politely, recognizing that those things taste good but aren't really something I crave or need. I feel that I have a good sense of what's good for my body and what's not and on that basis it's easy to avoid the food that I don't need. I have succeeded with the gym challenge and mostly with the walking challenge too! I haven't made my life quest trip yet but I'm going to make it :) Overall I'm quite satisfied with my progress!

1. Goal allocation 
SQ1 Go to gym two times a week. +2 STR, +1 STA

SQ2 Go for a 10-minute walk every day. + 2 STA, +1 DEX

SQ3 Eat vegetables or fruits daily +1 WIS, +1 CON

LQ A trip to a new city alone. +1 WIS, +1 CHA

2. Mid-challenge summary

SQ1 Go to gym two times a week. 100%, A

SQ2 Go for a 10-minute walk every day. 90%, B

SQ3 Eat vegetables or fruits daily 100%, A

LQ A trip to a new city alone. 10% E

3. Allocation:

SQ1 = +2 STR, +1 STA

SQ2 = +1 STA, +1 DEX

SQ3 = +1 WIS, +1 CON

LQ = No points yet. 

So, the result is:

STR 2 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 0 

Levelling up feels good! Yay :) 

• Like 1

YEAH LEVEL UP!  Many high fives!!

GIF-Baby-high-five-cat.gif

Awesome progress on the sweets! I'm usually pretty good at avoiding cravings (I don't have them that often either, anymore) but once in a while, ugh, CHOCOLATE. ;)  You know it's not going to help you reach your goals and that's a HUGE part of the battle.  Rock on!!!

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

Alright, time to wrap up this week.

This week I've been doing a lot of thinking about different things in my life. I have seen during this week that I'm still very insecure about some things in my life and I definitely want to improve my confidence! Lots of my insecurities are social and I can get really nervous around guys that are flirting with me. I think that in my next 6-week challenge I'm going to have a life quest related to improving my confidence in all kinds of social situations :)

I've taken a bit more relaxed approach to my diet for a few days - eating some pasta and tasting some chocolate again. I was surprised to notice that the chocolate I had didn't really taste good, the taste was really processed! All the more reason to not crave that :) Eating lots of vegetables, meat, eggs and fruits still feels very good and I'm going to continue eating that way. 

I've gone to gym twice this week. Today I had a really good time as the gym was almost empty! Hmm, student gym on a sunday at noon, wonder why ;) I'm still doing dumbbell rows with the 16kg weight, today I managed 7 reps. I also added a bit of weight to my squat for the first time! When I lifted the 5kg weight with my hands, it felt really light. That was an amazing feeling! Looks like I'm getting stronger! I also did some dips and they didn't really feel as heavy as I expected. I also visited the scary weight-lifting room and did a few deadlifts with an empty bar. The bar was surprisingly heavy!

I've been a bit lazy with the 10min walks, going to have to get back on track with those! 

I did manage to get back on track with those 10-minute walks. Actually, I did them as HIIT:s on monday and tuesday. Monday was a good one - running for 30 seconds at a time didn't feel bad! I've always hated running but on monday it felt surprisingly easy. On tuesday I was a bit sore after monday but I'm still happy I did it. It was raining a bit (Oh Amsterdam, how I love thy weather...), but I completed my workout! Healthy eating is going well, too. I've had some sushi (yum!), but avoiding grains and sugar is still fairly easy. I actually like brusselssprouts and broccoli nowadays - who would have guessed! 

Today hasn't really been a good day. I guess its homesickness after being abroad for two months. I miss my friends from home and just generally feel like I'd like to curl into a ball and stay in bed. I've been thinking about some things that caused me feel quite miserable back at home, things that caused my depression. I feel very sad when I think about those times, but at the same time I feel thankful. Those experiences made me who I am today and I have learned a lot from them. Feeling sad feels good, because it is a feeling. It would be much worse to feel numb and uninterested. 

While being away from home feels rough at the moment, I've had some positive experiences. I cleaned my room yesterday and noticed that the hoover felt a lot lighter than the previous time I used it. I haven't dared to measure myself yet, but my jeans definitely feel loose! Going to have to do some shopping soon :) 

I did it! I booked a trip to Prague and I'm going on my own! I'm leaving on tuesday :) I have a big deadline for schoolwork on tuesday, so it will be the perfect time for a vacation. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Adventure is out there!

tumblr_loyll2mPSL1qgiiajo1_400.gif

• Like 2

WHOOOAA!!! Too cool!!! Have an amazing time, you are super brave! :D

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

So, I'm leaving tonight for Prague. I'm really excited of finally taking the step of travelling alone. The real challenge will be the social side of travelling alone: can I meet new people? Can I feel comfortable with them? 

Other parts of my challenge are going fairly well. I've gone to gym twice a week, though for this week I will only manage one time. I'll try to do some kind of excercise during the trip, too. I have missed a few 10-min walks, but I've done most of them. I have eaten my vegetables and fruits. I have also eaten chocolate a few times, but I haven't overloaded with it so I'm still quite satisfied. 

Happy-GIF_2.gif

It's adventure time :)

• Like 1

I'm back from Prague! The six-week challenge is now over and it's time to wrap things up. 

Main quest: Make healthy habits a normal part of my life.

I feel like I've succeeded fairly well! Going to gym feels normal and I've adopted some really good eating habits. 

Side quests

1) Go to gym two times a week. 

Only missed one and that was because of the trip to Prague. A. 

2) Go for a 10-minute walk every day. 

I did miss some walks. On the other hand, on three days I did a HIIT instead of just walking. I'll give myself a C for this one. 

3) Eat vegetables or fruits daily

96% success, A. When I cook for myself, it now feels natural to not make pasta/rice but instead cook a lot of veggies. I did manage to avoid sugar fairly well, although I did slip in the end of the six weeks. 

Life quest: A trip to a new city alone.

I was in Prague for five days and it was amazing! I could never have imagined that travelling alone would be so social. The city was beautiful and my hostel was beyond amazing: the staff truly made us feel like home! I met some incredible people during these five days and had a lot of fun. The trip did wonders to my confidence. 

So, my end stats are following: 
SQ1 Go to gym two times a week. +2 STR, +2 STA

SQ2 Go for a 10-minute walk every day. + 2 STA, +1 DEX

SQ3 Eat vegetables or fruits daily +1 WIS, +2 CON

LQ A trip to a new city alone. +3 WIS, +2 CHA

My biggest regret for this challenge was not joining an accountability group. I'll definitely do it for the next challenge! I will probably complete the next challenge in the adventurers' guild, although I might aspire to be an assassin at some point: during this challenge I've gotten really curious about what kind of things I could actually do with my body. 

Thank you for all of you who have followed my first steps! Especially Shaarawy, your support has been so valuable :) 

• Like 1

VICTORY

tumblr_n8rofcUUnd1sf74k0o1_500.gif

YEAH YEAH YOU DID IT!!  I bet Prague was amazing, I've always wanted to go... someday!!  And it's so awesome when a fitness routine feels 'normal' and not like a chore you have to do... 

We are going to do another Skullcrushers accountability group for the next challenge, I fould it SO integral to my success... it's awesome to have (and be part of) a big cheering squad! I'll let you know when it's time to sign up again, I think you'll love it. :)

• Like 1

»  kom starkru

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines