[Magnhild] From a Slave to a Shield-Maiden.

Windranger

I want some of that casserole! ;)

Me too, yes please. I'll be right over.

I am a bit stressed so I'll keep it short. Life is AWESOME!!

There's so much to do because I got to manage the current semester (5th), three subjects from the 3rd and three from the 4th. I really somehow could freak out.. But it seems like that's good for me  :)

Isn't it funny how having more to do makes it easier to get everything done? There's a quote, probably misattributed to Lucille Ball, that goes something like "If you If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do."

I feel your pain -- I get on the train this morning for an intensive residential session at school (12+ hours of lecture each day for three days, plus presentations and 'mandatory fun' socializing). Instead of doing the necessary last-minute packing and buying my train ticket I'm playing around on NF :)

We're in the zone now. Keep blocking, keep swinging, keep fighting! Let's win this!

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 ]

[ Current: The Last Homely House ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

I want some of that casserole! ;)

That sounds nice. Keep going and rock that semester :)

Me too, yes please. I'll be right over.

Isn't it funny how having more to do makes it easier to get everything done? There's a quote, probably misattributed to Lucille Ball, that goes something like "If you If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do."

I feel your pain -- I get on the train this morning for an intensive residential session at school (12+ hours of lecture each day for three days, plus presentations and 'mandatory fun' socializing). Instead of doing the necessary last-minute packing and buying my train ticket I'm playing around on NF :)

We're in the zone now. Keep blocking, keep swinging, keep fighting! Let's win this!

Haha :D Yeah the casserole is really tasty ^_^

The quote about being busy is so right!  :highly_amused: This fact is somehow weird but so true :)

"12+ hours of lecture each day for three days, plus presentations and 'mandatory fun' socializing" Oh My Gosh, that's damn harsh  :eek-new: This is going to be exhausting I guess. I hope the strain keeps within good limits and you have some good days although there's so much going on. Busy is good but too busy.. meeh :D

"Instead of doing the necessary last-minute packing and buying my train ticket I'm playing around on NF" hmm.. on what does this remind me?... oh yes ME xD

Thank you guys for your encouragement!

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character

Yesterday was a great day also. Lectures on the forenoon, take a look at the measuring system for our project in the early afternoon and going for a walk again in the late afternoon (2 h, 10k m). Ate a bread with green salad, schnitzel, tomatoes, throughout the day (unfortunately no time for canteen because of the measuring system stuff), in the evening I had again a bowl of cereals, casserole with tuna, one toast with butter and one with nutella.

Today... Yeah.. Dammit. I said to myself that I will stay at home because I need my laptop for working and because it is so loud I don't want to work with that at university (it's really inconvenient loud). This was a *** excuse and I didn't even realize that it was one until one minute ago. I am awake for three hours now and have done nothing for university, still worse I ate two bowls of chocolate-cereals plus one 25 g piece of cooking chocolate -.-'

Character

I've done much work in the household, have done the groceries shopping and studied a lot. As yesterday I didn't go for a walk, I didn't meet anyone and besides the shopping stayed in the flat the whole day. I ate a lot of unhealthy stuff (milk, grain, sugar, chocolate,..) and my health problems are there again. Way less than they've been before the fasting but well everything starting all over again.. And.. I have gained sooo much fat. Lost much on muscle while fasting and gained a lot of fat now.. My body looks.. uhmm.. well I don't like it.  :unsure:

I am studying a lot but hardly make progress and I miss the walking. Going for a walk together is so much easier than motivating oneself to go ;D Once I'm out and on my way I love it but the willpower I need to get there is rather high though xD Sounds bad.. guess it really is, but it is keeping within the limits and with today (started three minutes ago) I will fight powerful again.

• Like 1

Character

You just have to keep at it!! Ups and downs are expected when you are trying to make changes.

Steve talks about willpower in one of his blog posts. Maybe read up on some inspiration from his NF blog or go back and reread your first post and motivation? You need to keep reminding yourself why this is so important! And why it is worth doing!

We are cheering for you!

- Mobile communication granted.

• Like 1

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

You just have to keep at it!! Ups and downs are expected when you are trying to make changes.

Steve talks about willpower in one of his blog posts. Maybe read up on some inspiration from his NF blog or go back and reread your first post and motivation? You need to keep reminding yourself why this is so important! And why it is worth doing!

We are cheering for you!

Yeah I am probably way to upset every time I don't manage what I'd have intended to. But actually I've made some great changes in my life the last month and thinking of that I am really proud of myself. Coming out of desperation and hiding in my room and now enjoying life so much and being so motivated for it is a damn huge step and I am so happy how thing's are now.

Reading Steve's posts to gain motivation again is always a good idea, thank you for the reminder! :)

Today I set up a bet with a friend (the one I was hiking with and going for a walk now so often). I have to

* walk 5 km per day

* drink at least one liter water per day

* eat simplified paleoish (avoid milk, grain, sugar) except for lunch

Betting stake: if I don't make it I have to go to university with high heels and red painted finger nails (that's simply not me)

Could be that he finds a better stake and this get's changed.

For him there are a quest and betting stake also :)

The bet goes until 2nd November :)

Plus I've been walking / hiking with my mother cross country to a "Jausenstation" (kinda tavern) and studied a lot :)

• Like 3

Character

But actually I've made some great changes in my life the last month and thinking of that I am really proud of myself. 

Yes yes yes! This is the whole point, isn't it? All the non-existent internet points and random level 1 dungeon challenges and carefully composed forum posts are one thing, but at the end of the day it's about making real changes in your real life. You're doing that. What a wonderful statement this is!

Two weeks to go, shield-sister. If we don't give up we'll see the end of this battle. I'll hang in there if you do :)

• Like 1

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 ]

[ Current: The Last Homely House ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Thank you so much shield-sister, your words always mean the world to me ♥

I have three weeks left - luckily, because I just get started :D

Have been walking again with the colleague yesterday. We went 14 km in 3 hours!! I just wanted to go a small round because there's so much that I have to study for but well.. xD xD Was a very funny walk and when I came home I was so tired because of sleeping too less the night before and so much walking that I fell asleep very early in the evening, woke up around 23 pm and fell asleep one hour later again :D Had not eaten much also - lunch at the canteen and an omelet (one egg, bit zucchini) in the afternoon.

Today I went for a walk for 5 km when it was dark already because otherwise I'd have lost the bet ;D It reminded me of my night walks during secondary modern school time.. I loved to go out for a walk at midnight and went rather long distances. I wonder how it comes that I stopped doing that. Today I ate lunch at home. Very, very much. Two toasts, bit 70% chocolate and a bowl-chocolate cereals. Because of the bet I then stopped eating unhealthy and had again a vegetable casserole with tuna in the evening :)

• Like 1

Character

I have three weeks left - luckily, because I just get started :D

Well, thanks be to all the gods that I only have two left -- I'm not sure I could keep expending this level of willpower much longer... Although -- to be fair -- I am just getting started myself. You're probably more honest than I am about what's really been accomplished :)

Today I went for a walk for 5 km when it was dark already because otherwise I'd have lost the bet ;D It reminded me of my night walks during secondary modern school time.. I loved to go out for a walk at midnight and went rather long distances. I wonder how it comes that I stopped doing that. 

Well, you did it yesterday, right? So you haven't really stopped. You just took a long break between walks, that's all. You're still the kind of person that does that sort of thing.

Glad to hear you sounding so positive! Keep it up, or we all might pester you to post a picture in high heels and red-painted nails :)

• Like 2

So? How fares my shield-sister??

102043525.jpg

• Like 1

the slave is hiding under the blanket. too exhausted from the week. now that I bogged down ("versumpfen" in german...?) at home for a whole two days I am struggling with health problems again. i am angry, tired, feckless

also bought very much unhealthy stuff today, why? because little money and too lazy to do cooking.  :torn:

it's like i shouldn't have even one day off from actions (other than sitting at home and studying), like there must be something going on always  so that won't happen to me

thank you for writing, i hope you are fine!

Character

And another THANK YOU to you amberdisa, and also one to my colleague but I already told him.

During answering you I listened to Chandelier. And by writing that post I had to review and recap the last days and my current situation. After I finished writing and clicking "Post" I stood up and made my way to the bed where my mobile phone was laying. Going there I directly saw out of the window, with the sun going down whilst immersing the landscape in a beautiful red and orange play of colors, the song Chandelier still playing. Looking at my mobile phone I read messages of the colleague who was trying to persuade me to go for a walk. And his words and way of writing were just so indescribably perfect fitting that I threw the mobile phone back on the bed, dressed for going outwards, stepped out of the flat and headed in the direction of the setting sun.

It was an awesome walk. With mist everywhere, beautiful lights, the purling of the brook and the insects and animals soundings from the fields, meadows and forests beneath. With the time the environment got devoured by the darkness and the mist and I didn't want to stop walking anymore. I even ran some meters every now and then because I was so extremely energized. I enjoyed the walk to the fullest. Two hours later I came back home :)

• Like 2

Character

YAAAAY!! Hooray! Get some! Rawr!!

MAST__003301a_1116.jpg

And another THANK YOU to you amberdisa, and also one to my colleague but I already told him.

You're most welcome. The shield wall only holds if we all stay in the line, and I'm trying to survive this battle too :)

I threw the mobile phone back on the bed, dressed for going outwards, stepped out of the flat and headed in the direction of the setting sun.

It was an awesome walk. With mist everywhere, beautiful lights, the purling of the brook and the insects and animals soundings from the fields, meadows and forests beneath. With the time the environment got devoured by the darkness and the mist and I didn't want to stop walking anymore. I even ran some meters every now and then because I was so extremely energized. I enjoyed the walk to the fullest. Two hours later I came back home  :)

There's only one like button so I'll hit it several more times here: Like Like Like Like Like LIKE!! This is awesome. I was very busy chasing around yesterday, but when I read your first message on my phone I thought "That sounds like a woman who needs to go for a walk." I didn't have time to post until today, though, and I'm so happy to see you've already done what I was going to suggest you do :)

it's like i shouldn't have even one day off from actions

I once told a friend that I really just wanted to "get the house cleaned up once and for all." She laughed at me and said "that's like saying you're going to take a shower once and for all." I glared at her, but she was right...

Making good choices, reasonably consistently, is a process, not an event. We won't get every one perfect. Some days I haven't quite managed to take a shower recently :(  But no matter how dirty I (or my house) gets, there is always the option of just simply taking a shower, and then everything is OK again!

SO I think I need to go clean my house...

Congratulations, shield-sister! Well done!

• Like 2

At the moment there's really much going on in private and university life. On the one hand I feel completely overwhelmed by that, on the other hand this is keeping me on track and pushes me to work the best only possible.

I am going to have a pre-fasting day tomorrow, then 5 fasting days and then build up days till the end of next week. If I manage this I will see this challenge as mastered. I know I hardly achieved my goals but my progress is, in my eyes, something I can be proud of.

With the end of the next week I will start the 30 days bodybuild workout, try to only eat once a day and do 1h cardio every no-workout day which will form the quests of my next challenge.

• Like 2

Character

It sounds like you have kept up your focus, which is great! Looking forward to the next challenge.

And I'm no fitness/diet expert so please take this with a grain of salt and seek out professional advice, but please be careful with the fasting and removal of meals in general when increasing your exercise and activity. I know intermittent fasting can assist in helping your body use up unnecessary fat, etc, but complete fasting or removal of meals actually does the opposite if your body doesn't get what it needs to help fuel you before and after workouts and throughout the day. I would rather see you avoid injury and hurting your progress!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Thank you for your concern!

You surely are right about the fact that this is something risky. I am going to see how my body deals with it and if this way of living causes troubles I will reconsider that concept :)

I thought about taking one hour each day for having lunch (or dinner if there's no time at noon). The lunch/dinner @ the students rooming house costs 5.50 € and you can eat as much as you want; contains soup, main meal, salad, dessert. Or I eat in the canteen @ university what costs 3.70 € or 4.70 € depending on the type of meal but only the main meal and one portion. This way I would keep myself from snacking at home - with the idea of just eating there, wouldn't spend money on buying things for eating at home and would try the intermittent fasting what I've never tried before. With doing the fasting cure now and then when I start eating again limiting the meals to just one per day I hope my body get's used to that easier what would be a nice side effect of the fasting. 

• Like 1

Character

I am going to have a pre-fasting day tomorrow, then 5 fasting days and then build up days till the end of next week. If I manage this I will see this challenge as mastered. I know I hardly achieved my goals but my progress is, in my eyes, something I can be proud of.

Wow, good for you! What a great way to finish this challenge! How is it going so far?

I am going to see how my body deals with it and if this way of living causes troubles I will reconsider that concept  :)

This is the most important thing to remember when fasting. Learn to hear what your body is saying. There is a difference between "WAAAAH! I want the empty carbs you've been pouring into me every hour for years, and I'm going to throw a tantrum if I don't get them!" (which is safe to ignore or quiet with a cup of coffee) and "Um, I'm not really working as well as I should be, you need to give me some more water/protein/fat/slow carbs so we can keep going" (which you should consider listening to, eventually). Ask yourself -- are you really hungry? Or are you bored? Go for a walk or read or do something else for a while and see if you feel differently. Whatever you do, don't sit around doing nothing and obsess about food.

Fasting in the mornings is now easy and normal for me, and I generally work out fasted with no issues. Coffee is good, tea is good (but do be careful -- the fluoride in tea can make you nauseous if you're sensitive to it), and sparkling water is nice too.

There's a lot of hand-waving out there on the internet about women and intermittent fasting. Don't let it scare you. As long as you're listening to your body you'll be all right. A Danish blogger points out exactly how foolish some of the more strident opposition to IF in women really is -- some people want so much to insist that women and men are SO VERY DIFFERENT that that they will actually argue that female humans will respond to fasting more like female rats than like male humans! You can read his article here: http://www.kropblog.dk/en/intermittent-fasting-for-women/

Wishing you luck! Only a few more days -- hang in there and keep fighting. The end is in sight!

polemistries-456x300.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you to both of you for your great support!! :)

Private struggles are really going on my nerves -.-' Have tried working for university since yesterday noon but wasn't able to convince myself to do anything till now. Too lazy. A colleague is coming over then and we go hiking this afternoon. It's the second day of fasting and I don't know if hiking is the best idea now but we'll see. When I'm too weak we simply have to turn around and go back. I'll sleep early then today and make a new attempt for studying tomorrow after visiting a lecture again. 

• Like 2

Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines