n00b, reporting for duty

Hello! I'm a 27 year old female, wandering aimlessly in a weight loss journey. Over the past two years I have gone from the typical SAD eating style, to low fat (high fake!) diet, to now, a basically clean somewhat balanced diet. Through all that I managed to lose about 20 lbs. and become fairly active. I found Nerd Fitness and the paleo lifestyle while searching for an elimination diet and ways to heal your gut. I think years of processed junk and wheat overload has really compromised my system. I became intrigued by the simple, nutrient dense paleo eating style.

I have decided to commit myself to 30 days of clean eating (high quality meat, veggies, fruit and nuts). The simplicity is what really draws me to the lifestyle. I've been known to drive myself crazy with counting calories, counting macros, burn this to eat that, weigh, weigh weigh. It usually ends with me getting entirely depressed and binge-eating anything I can get my hands on, usually wheat based. I want to break that cycle!

MyGoals:

Follow this simplified way of eating for 30 days.

Make a fitness schedule and stick to it (not over complicate it!)

Train to complete my first 5k.

My long term goal: Be comfortable in my own skin and not be negative to myself. Also to get in the best shape of my life before my 30th birthday!

I'm looking forward to starting my fitness regime tomorrow!

Thank for letting me into this community!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Everything you've said in your post is shockingly familiar to me, especially the backlash from attempting tedious tracking and scheduling. I'm new to the forums, too, and pretty new to bettering my health, but so far I've been learning quite a lot just from reading other people's experiences here and reading helpful links people give.

I've lost over 50 pounds since March just by loosely following the fundamental principles of Paleo-eating, plus some very basic strength training and general cardio. I mention this because I've only just emerged out of the 'trying to suddenly be puritanical about health leading to a junk food binge leading to beating myself up for it then starting it all over' phase. Been there- done that. Never again.

Different things work for different people, but if there's one underlying convention that has helped me get passed the psychological aspects of getting fit, it's to keep it simple and be patient. Which you seem to be aware of now.

Man I'm talking like I'm a seasoned fitness expert! Truthfully, my new life has only just started in the past few months but I feel so overwhelmed by the abundance of knowledge I've accumulated I just gotta spew it out all over the place. I suggest to really pay attention to what works and what feels right and let yourself transition naturally. Then, in a few months you can post in the introduction thread of a new member of a health forum and pretend you're the authority on fitness!

Have fun :]

• Like 2

Oi Sqthreer!!!! That's far too serious a post for you, take it back right now OR ELSE!!!! :P

Hey Valkyrie. I'd pretty much echo everything that Sqthreer just said, there's no right or wrong way to get healthy, just go with whatever works for you. I pretty much followed the same path, and THANK GOD i ditched the "diet" and started eating properly.

I hope you're Whole 30 goes well, I've been trying to build up the courage to do it myself for a while now (I have a serious cheese addiction, I don't know if I can live without it...). Let me know how you get on. :D

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks Sqthreer! It's always nice hearing that someone goes through the same thought patterns and cycles. Also helps to know that the cycle can be broken! Congrats on losing the 50! That's awesome!

I have a bit of that feeling too Guzzi! I'm used to eating yogurt pretty much everyday and cheese a few times a week. I'm not vowing it off forever though, just long enough to see if I can get my system to healthy order and then see how I feel. I may not want it after all!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Oi Sqthreer!!!! That's far too serious a post for you, take it back right now OR ELSE!!!! :tongue:

I don't respond to THREATS! Take your best shot, but know that I am highly trained in the art of running away really fast.

Also, if you'll take notice of the end of paragraph 4 of my post, I realized I was getting too serious and decided to balance it out with my 'spew' metaphor.

Thanks Sqthreer! It's always nice hearing that someone goes through the same thought patterns and cycles. Also helps to know that the cycle can be broken! Congrats on losing the 50! That's awesome!

Yeah! I'm beginning to see that a lot of people share a similar story. Just furthers the proof that we're all human-beings (except me) and we are prone to the same challenges of life. I'm not much of a social creature, but it is nice to know I'm not totally alone in my plight.

• Like 2