A fighter enters the ring......

Ekco

So......this is my first challenge. I know I'm late. Sorry. But better to start late than never at all. I just want to start so my main quest is pretty vague, but I'm hoping in the next few weeks as I complete this challenge I can really focus my goals. Also, any advice given would be appreciated towards my quest and goasls.

Main Quest is to get healthier in both physical and mental capacities.

3 Goals to get there: 1. Cut out soda COMPLETELY.

2. Get at least 8 hours of sleep. (Big issue)

3. Do the beginner bodyweight exercises at least 3x a week

Life Quest is to finish one nonfiction book in the challenge timeframe.

I know the goals are pretty generic, but like I said, I just wantedd to start. Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

Level 0-Assassin

I forgot to enter my motivation. I have three kids with another on the way. I was recently fired from my job because of poor health and too many sick days (kidnedy stones suuuck). On top of my main focus of finding a new job, I want to get healthier for my family. My girls and would take advantage of my "extended leave" and play, only to have me wheezing and gasping for breathe ftr 5 minutes. And I get tired ay to easily. I've become soft and have let my asilments define who I am. This challenge and the ones to follow are my initial step to change so I can play with my kids and out last them and to feel better about who I am. Thanks for reading.

Level 0-Assassin

Hey there, this is a great reason to start a 6 week challenge.

Really sorry about everything you've been through in regards to your health and job, but you know what? A new chapter begins now! =D

Those are some good goals you've set, there's nothing stopping you. So, best of luck!

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

Hey there, this is a great reason to start a 6 week challenge.

Really sorry about everything you've been through in regards to your health and job, but you know what? A new chapter begins now! =D

Those are some good goals you've set, there's nothing stopping you. So, best of luck!

Thanks! I appreciate it. Definitely a new chapter inmy life and one I have to face with a positive attitude.

So this morning was first day. It's 6:07 am and I just finished the first workout of the week. Here are the results:

10 pushups (I could have done more, but I wanted to complete the workout to see how I would do)

20 squats

20 sec plank

30 jumpingjacks

10 sec wall handstand

After the attempt at a handstand, my whole body kind of said no more, plus I didn't want to hurt myself the first day. I didn't do the lunges or the rows because of time constraints, but I'm hoping to bring them into the workout later on.

Also, I only got 5.53 hours of sleep last night. Told you it was an issue, but I am tracking it using the Sleep Cycle app.

Today will be day one for no soda. It has been a part of my life for a very long time and since my kidney stones have reared their ugly faces, I've cutdown quite a bit, one a day. Butnow I need to cut it out completely. Does anyone have any tips for the cravings?

One more thing. I really appreciatethis site and the people here. Everyone has been so awesome and helpful. I'm done being sappy. Have a great day guys and gals!

Level 0-Assassin

You can try replacing them with something more healthy that you already like as well, preferably something you can double down on without as much adverse side effects.

I love sizzling beef tendons and crispy pork shanks. I also love milk, eggs, salmon sashimi, and fantastic slabs of steak, so flipping the switch on my diet was easy. I kept my cravings at bay by always filling my belly up and with the occassional cheat day in the local japanese cuisine buffet or steak house, so it's pretty much win win.

Work with the stuff that you already like.

No body, no mind.

My Battle Log: A Weightlifting Story

You can try replacing them with something more healthy that you already like as well, preferably something you can double down on without as much adverse side effects.I love sizzling beef tendons and crispy pork shanks. I also love milk, eggs, salmon sashimi, and fantastic slabs of steak, so flipping the switch on my diet was easy. I kept my cravings at bay by always filling my belly up and with the occassional cheat day in the local japanese cuisine buffet or steak house, so it's pretty much win win. Work with the stuff that you already like.

Oooooooohhhh...I'll have to give that a try.

Level 0-Assassin

Hey! Great goals! And even better reasons to get in shape! Good way to start! 

Also, I'm really routing for you on this one! 

Today will be day one for no soda. It has been a part of my life for a very long time and since my kidney stones have reared their ugly faces, I've cutdown quite a bit, one a day. Butnow I need to cut it out completely. Does anyone have any tips for the cravings?

A few things you might try are:
1) herbal teas (I know it sounds like super-yuck at first, but there are some great flavors out there that might just work for ya! No harm giving it a look)

2) I've got one of these bad boys and it's great! (you can probably find it cheaper than amazon, so look into it) Try putting your favorite fruit juice or just a few squeezes of limon/lime juice in it. Might help with even the really bad cravings... like the serious, "I need something carbonated RIGHT NOW before I go on a rampage and kill every small woodland creature within a five mile radius!" type cravings (I've had similar type cravings before... do it for the squirrels! Vive le squirrels! [i do not condone the wholesale slaughter of small mammals or birds, even if you are an assassin :playful: ])

Hope this helps! And keep up the good work!

As a side note, while this particular thread is probably isn't the right time or place for it, I'm more than happy to recount the story some time about how losing my job was a catalyst for a whole new life for me that was even cooler and better than I ever expected! Chin up! Best is yet to come!

Level 2 Adventurer

Quest History: 1

Current Quest

STR 3 | STA 2.5 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Hey! Great goals! And even better reasons to get in shape! Good way to start!  Also, I'm really routing for you on this one!   A few things you might try are:

1) herbal teas (I know it sounds like super-yuck at first, but there are some great flavors out there that might just work for ya! No harm giving it a look)2) I've got one of these bad boys and it's great! (you can probably find it cheaper than amazon, so look into it) Try putting your favorite fruit juice or just a few squeezes of limon/lime juice in it. Might help with even the really bad cravings... like the serious, "I need something carbonated RIGHT NOW before I go on a rampage and kill every small woodland creature within a five mile radius!" type cravings (I've had similar type cravings before... do it for the squirrels! Vive le squirrels! [i do not condone the wholesale slaughter of small mammals or birds, even if you are an assassin :playful: ]) Hope this helps! And keep up the good work! As a side note, while this particular thread is probably isn't the right time or place for it, I'm more than happy to recount the story some time about how losing my job was a catalyst for a whole new life for me that was even cooler and better than I ever expected! Chin up! Best is yet to come!

That is an awesome idea! And I'm loving how it doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup and aspartame. Really grabbed my attention there. And you are totally right on the cravings-it's more the carbination than anything else. And so far no woodland creatures have perrished byy my hands. Although there were some ants who did partake in my wrath. I had to kill something, being an assassin and all.

I've been experimenting with teas a little bit. The only things I know is that a chi tea with milk is really good and Earl Grey makes a great sun burn relief.

I appreciate the encouragement and I would love to hear your story. Jot it down here or just send me a message! Either way I look forward to it!

• Like 1

Level 0-Assassin

So first day completely done. Workout in the morning, no soda all day (I was trying to substitute it with water when cravings hit, but it didn't really take em away), and read a chapter in Cultivating a Life for God. Right after I am done here, it is to bed and then waking up at 6am to continue my routine. No workout, but I will stretch in the morning, might practice handstands, and get in some prayer time. Again, I can't believe this community exists where everyone is so awesome and helpful, understanding and completely understand the idea of accepting someone for who they are and not for how they look or wat they believe. Thank you Steve for the idea and thank you to all the Rebels out there making a difference!

Level 0-Assassin

This is the third day of my challenge. I woke up with a not too pleasant headache which I can only surmise as being the sum of no soda for the last two days and a rough night's sleep. But I got up (a little later than I wanted) and got to my workout. Here are the results:

14 push ups

24 squats

51 second plank

0 jumpjacks (the up and down motion was not a good thing for my head)

0 second hand stand (my middle daughter interuptted me to get ready for school-I'll get a handstand in today at one point)

As for the other parts of my quest, I've got to chapter three in the book I'm reading and as I said earlier, this is day 3 with no soda. My sleep has improved-the last two nights have been at least 7 hours or more.

Level 0-Assassin

Hey Ecko--looks like you're off to a good start! Giving up soda is very tough. I grew up on it, we used to go through ten 2-liter bottles a week at my house. It's well worth it in the long run, though... you can get the caffeine other ways if you really need it (I drink black tea when I need a little pick-me-up... took some getting used to, but I like it now), and dump the useless liquid calories forever!

Keep on fighting the fight! The BBWW is my primary strength workout right now too, and while at first it was just exhausting, now in my fourth week of doing it regularly, I'm really starting to see some genuine strength improvements. Keep it up!

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Carbonated water. Seriously. For a long time I absolutely *had* to have something sweet and fizzy with my meals. I switched to caffeine-free diet soda, which is basically a bucket of nasty chemicals, and then finally to plain fizzy water. You can squeeze some lemon or lime juice into it, too, but really I just like it plain now. And it still feels like I'm treating myself because it's not, you know, boring and tasteless old still water.

I eventually went out and bought a SodaStream :)

Great quests! Your caffeine withdrawal headache should go away in a day or two, so good job powering through that one.

For your reading, have you considered audiobooks? They ROCK. These days I get almost all of my non-school-related nonfiction reading done in the car or while doing chores -- they do a great job of distracting you, whether from traffic craziness or the unpleasantness of cleaning the house.

Good luck!

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 ]

[ Current: Misty Mountains ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]   ~   [ Books ]  

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Hey Ecko--looks like you're off to a good start! Giving up soda is very tough. I grew up on it, we used to go through ten 2-liter bottles a week at my house. It's well worth it in the long run, though... you can get the caffeine other ways if you really need it (I drink black tea when I need a little pick-me-up... took some getting used to, but I like it now), and dump the useless liquid calories forever!

Keep on fighting the fight! The BBWW is my primary strength workout right now too, and while at first it was just exhausting, now in my fourth week of doing it regularly, I'm really starting to see some genuine strength improvements. Keep it up!

Thanks for the uplifting! Today I needed it! I'm trying to find a tea I like, but sometimes, it's a little overwhelming.

Level 0-Assassin

Carbonated water. Seriously. For a long time I absolutely *had* to have something sweet and fizzy with my meals. I switched to caffeine-free diet soda, which is basically a bucket of nasty chemicals, and then finally to plain fizzy water. You can squeeze some lemon or lime juice into it, too, but really I just like it plain now. And it still feels like I'm treating myself because it's not, you know, boring and tasteless old still water.

I eventually went out and bought a SodaStream :)

Great quests! Your caffeine withdrawal headache should go away in a day or two, so good job powering through that one.

For your reading, have you considered audiobooks? They ROCK. These days I get almost all of my non-school-related nonfiction reading done in the car or while doing chores -- they do a great job of distracting you, whether from traffic craziness or the unpleasantness of cleaning the house.

Good luck!

More and more people are bringing up the SodaStream. I'm really gonna have to check it out. See, I'm with you on the fizziness of the drink. You just get attached to the caffine part as well. And besides, plain water is just so...plain. : )

As for books, I've got a couple stored on my phone. When I'm out working in the yard, I plugone in. I still like the feel of a real book too. Tbanks for the awesome tips!

Level 0-Assassin

So now ends the third day of my challenge and boy, was it a challenge. I ended up having a cup of home made root beer at the rehersal dinner for my sister in law who is having her wedding tomorrow. It was kinda a choice of the lesser evil. There was no drinkable water on hand and the other options were beer and caffinated soda. I guess I'm going to have start bringing my own drinks when I go places. The headache never went away but did diminish throughout the day. And I never completed any kind of handstand workout to make up the missed one this morning. I will just have to get it done in the morning.

I know in every post I write, I say something to this effect, but I'll say it again. The people on here are awesome and amazing. The encouraging words and uplifting attitudes just amaze me. Thank you to all who have helped me along this journey, it being a small so far. Truly an amazing thing.

Level 0-Assassin

Alrighty. Sixth day of challenge and third workout-my arms are so heavy. Here's the results from this morning:

80 jumpingjacks

16 pushups

27 squats

1:09.55 minute plank

And 6 second handstand (on wall)

If that seems a little excessive, I was going for failure on the individual workouts.

Headache is gone! Yea! I'm definitely looking to try the SodaStream just to get the carbinated portion of the drink. I've started drinking club soda with a mixture of cranberry juice (50/50). The club soda for the carbination and the cranberry for cleaning out my system.

I'm getting quite along on my reading. I'm to chapter 7. For my next challenge on the life quest portion, I am going to choose to start reading more posts on NF and responding to them as well. The comments left on my posts have really encouraged me and kept me motivated. And even though I am not working, my time is still very full with my daughters, fixing up the house, and looking for a job.

• Like 1

Level 0-Assassin

Fourth day of BBWW, eighth day of challenge.

My youngest daughter work up around 4:30 this morning. I got up (let the pregnant wife try to get some sleep) and got her back to bed (a little daddy time does wonders). But I had set the Sleep Cycle app to wake me at 5:30 am and I knew that if I went back to bed, nothing would happen til I had to get up to get the older girls ready for school. So I decided to stay up and do some research online. I then went ahead with my normal routine around 5:15 am on the workout. I'll probably zonk out later this afternoon (especially with no caffine), but I can say I got it done. : )

Here are today's workout results:

30 Jumpjacks

30 BW Squats

1 minute 11 seconds handstand hold (that sucked)

49.08 second plank (I did the handstand first and by the time I was done, my lower back was killing me. I went straight to the plank without rest and could feel the same part of my back put back into tension. I think that's why I couldn't get more time on the plank.)

10 pushups

I am trying to change up the line up of my workout so that one exercise doesn't take lead all the time. That way, my body doesn't get use to one type of exercise and not the others. Balanced.

I was reading some posts and came across the Battle Logs. I'm guessing that's where I should have started posting the results of my workouts. Sorry guys and gals. I'll continue this method, if for no one else but myself, and start up a Battle Log for the next challenge.

So I have been conflicted ever since last Friday. I had a soda. So my whole challenge on that level was shot. Sure, it wasn't caffinated, but it was still sugarfied. So I'm not sure if I should start over and say day one is Saturday, or just count that one day as a cheat day and move on. Or should I scrap the whole no soda thing til next challege. I have been laxing on the book reading the last couple of days and I need to get back on that. And I think that's it. Have a great day.

Level 0-Assassin

Good morning. This morning I was able to get up fairly easily to start my workout. Usually, I just lay in bed for 20 minutes while my brain has time to wake up. This morning I said to heck with it and just got up. Here are the results from the 5th day of working out (10th day of the challenge):

20 pushups (2 sets of 10)

30 squats

30 jumping jacks

40 seconds of handstand practice

54.91 seconds of plank

Now that I have completed the second week, I'm going to up my workout by adding another set to the mix. So starting Monday, I'll do two sets of each exercise. I will probably throw in another exercise to keep things interesting. 

My whole "no soda thing" is done.....I had another one yesterday. I was trying as hard as I could NOT to, yet I succumbed to temptation. I've let myself as well as everyone who has motivated me on this subject down. Sorry guys. So, I'm altering this part of my quest: to reduce my soda intake down to 3 a week for the rest of the challenge. Next challenge it will be 2, and the challenge after that 1.

Level 0-Assassin

It's a hard road getting off of sugars for some people. The stuff I read on sugar addiction... Easy to understand taking it in gradual steps. But I'd make the same suggestion that another poster already has. There are so many varieties of herbal teas that I couldn't list em all. My personal favorite is spearmint. Many of them have pretty nice benefits as well. You might consider trying Lady Grey, as it has a sweeter flavor in my opinion. The bergamot or something.

Also, on the topic of kidney stones, do you eat alot of foods that are high in oxacylic acids? From some things I've been reading to further wilderness survival I've learned that plants can be high in that type of acid. Eating too much of something like spinach or dock can cause kidney stones as well.

And I'd like to say I think you started this challenge off with a very reasonable set of goals. Certainly a good challenge. See you in the Assassins soon, if it's still the direction you're planning on heading.

°¬° 

I've let myself as well as everyone who has motivated me on this subject down. Sorry guys. So, I'm altering this part of my quest: to reduce my soda intake down to 3 a week for the rest of the challenge. Next challenge it will be 2, and the challenge after that 1.

First off, you haven't let anyone down. You don't stop a marathon if you trip in the first hundred meters. You get up, brush yourself off, and keep going. But it's good that you have a plan of attack now. We're still routing for you!

Oh, and I promised you a story in an earlier post... so, here goes (the super abridged version)

There have been two very specific times where I lost a job and was left feeling super dejected about the whole thing. Once I was working at an auto repair shop. This was back in '09 or something like that. I'd worked my butt off and tried to make friends with all the right people, but they canned me at the end of the 90 day trial. After feeling like an utter failure for a week or so, I decided to try something different, and just applied for a Masters Degree program... I still don't know how or why I got accepted, but that was the first big step in what is my current path. Ended up moving to London and getting my degree in a year. Then I ended up working a bunch of jobs that didn't exactly catch my passion the way I was expecting, which led to mediocre performance on my end (if I am gonna be brutally honest)... well, mediocre performance resulted in exactly what you'd expect... let me tell you, being jobless and without an income in a city like London... not fun. Not fun at all. Then, despite swearing up and down that I was done with higher education forever after suffering through a masters dissertation that was much harder than I expected, I ended up applying to several PhD programs in the area I really wanted to work in from the beginning (automotive interface/interactions). One of the first places to get back to me told me I was the 2nd choice, which stung pretty hard... sometimes you'd rather hear that you weren't even in the running... but that made me think that I actually might stand a chance at this (even though it was a failure, technically... as I didn't get the position). So instead of saying, 'Aw, screw it,' I tried for another position. Well, I'm now in France, getting a PhD and doing all kinds of cool stuff... which is still kind of an uphill battle because they tend to speak French here (surprise surprise), and I straight up don't. Although, I think I've mastered at least 47 ways to insult someone's mother, because every time I try to say something, the facial reaction lands on the spectrum somewhere between confusion, disgust, and anger. So, I'll just have to keep at it with the language learning, as well. 

tumblr_mrq7ea7KVQ1sfhwqbo1_500.gif

Every day, man... every day. *sighs

So, sometimes these things that seems like a catastrophe (i.e. losing a job) end up sending you down a path that you never expected, with a few more twists and turns than you'd probably like... but at the end of it, you stop and look around and think, 'Wow! How the heck did I end up here? This is exactly where I wanted to be all along!' And you may not be making a bazillion dollars a year (heck, I'm actually in debt up to my eyeballs for the Masters degree), but you will be somewhere that you want to be. Find what you are passionate about, and pursue it with as much vigour as you can muster, and don't let a near miss, or an unexpected stumble, or a ridiculously complicated foreign language, get in the way of what you want. Keep at it, dude! We're all behind you!

• Like 1

Level 2 Adventurer

Quest History: 1

Current Quest

STR 3 | STA 2.5 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Yup, it's nothing more than a small setback. If even that. Just don't quit. I've had plenty of setbacks myself. And a few times that I had to lower the bar. Currently working to get the ball rolling for myself again.

• Like 2

°¬° 

Also, on the topic of kidney stones, do you eat alot of foods that are high in oxacylic acids? From some things I've been reading to further wilderness survival I've learned that plants can be high in that type of acid. Eating too much of something like spinach or dock can cause kidney stones as well.

And I'd like to say I think you started this challenge off with a very reasonable set of goals. Certainly a good challenge. See you in the Assassins soon, if it's still the direction you're planning on heading.

I knew it! I've always told people that green stuff is bad for you! LOL. I actually did not know that about some plants. Mine were caused from WAY too much sugar, soda, and bad decisions in my diet. It's just caught up with me.

Thanks for the suggestion on tea. I will definitely try the Lady Grey.

And yes...Assassins is were I will be. I'm looking forward to joining the guild!

Level 0-Assassin

First off, you haven't let anyone down. You don't stop a marathon if you trip in the first hundred meters. You get up, brush yourself off, and keep going. But it's good that you have a plan of attack now. We're still routing for you!

Oh, and I promised you a story in an earlier post... so, here goes (the super abridged version)

Thanks Kaine! That is a great story and great motivation! It's the pick me up I needed! I tend to be hard on myself, so I appreciate what you said!

Level 0-Assassin

Yup, it's nothing more than a small setback. If even that. Just don't quit. I've had plenty of setbacks myself. And a few times that I had to lower the bar. Currently working to get the ball rolling for myself again.

I'm starting to see it that way. I was just reading of how a small setback can derail you if you allow it to lead you to another small setback to another. But if at the first small setback, you reposition and get back on track, all it is, is a small setback. Thanks for the encouragement!

You can easily get the 'ball rolling' again for yourself. What do you need to do?

Level 0-Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines