Anamal

I'm admittedly coming in late to this challenge after a very intense summer of training. Because of this I plan to have this thread serve as a longer battle-log style thread with some moderate goals and some general keeping track. After the Ultra Beast this September I'm planning on taking a bit of an off-season until the start of December. I'll still be training and eating well, but with a decidedly different focus and less pressure. In fact this week I've decided to do nothing I don't want to! And I'll get back to real life in earnest next week.

Upcoming Events:

Soccer Season - starts 9/27 continues Saturdays through Dec 20

Malibu Spartan Hurricane Heat - Sat Dec 7th

Malibu Spartan Sprint - Sun Dec 7th

Tinsel Triathlon (short course) - Sun Dec 14th

Here are some goals I have for the coming months:

1) Start taking pride in my apartment/look!

- Organize wardrobe and start building a better career-centered clothes base

- Redecorate living room and bedroom

- Finalize bathroom

2) Lose weight (no I'm not that overweight, but 10-20lbs off my frame will be a huge relief if I want to run a 50miler in April 2015).

- IF Protocol

- Track Cals and Macros

- Actually be accountable for weigh ins and measurements

3) Run 3-4x a week (with one HIIT/Speed Session)

4) Weight train 2x a week

5) Spent 15mins 3x a week focusing on yoga/foam rolling before bed

My overarching goal is to reach a sustainable place with my training where I am consistent, and yet can miss a workout without fearing the world will end.

Well this off season is certainly off to a slow start. I came down with a bit of a bug this week and as a result decided to put off my return to exercising until my first soccer match this Saturday. Not the end of the world, but exercise has become such a large part of my life that it feels weird taking a break.

This weekend I plan to do some real apartment therapy as well as meal prepping for the week.

Monday I'll start my new training program after I finish writing it this weekend. Now that I'm not training as much there is so much free time for activities!

Well this off season is certainly off to a slow start. I came down with a bit of a bug this week and as a result decided to put off my return to exercising until my first soccer match this Saturday. Not the end of the world, but exercise has become such a large part of my life that it feels weird taking a break.

This weekend I plan to do some real apartment therapy as well as meal prepping for the week.

Monday I'll start my new training program after I finish writing it this weekend. Now that I'm not training as much there is so much free time for activities!

Yeah taking a break feels odd. Haven't been in the gym in a month and dropped out of an entire weekend of racing through illness. Feel better soon.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Yeah taking a break feels odd. Haven't been in the gym in a month and dropped out of an entire weekend of racing through illness. Feel better soon.

Me feel better? I'm more or less fine. You on the other hand. I'm pretty sure one day I'll check in on your feed only to find a picture of you holding the literal lung you coughed up.

Me feel better? I'm more or less fine. You on the other hand. I'm pretty sure one day I'll check in on your feed only to find a picture of you holding the literal lung you coughed up.

True, but I'll have a trifecta medal in the other hand :)
  • Like 1

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Soccer Saturday and Sunday Funday!

Well I could definitely tell at our game on Saturday that I wasn't quite recovered from my race last week. I felt generally good and speed wasn't an issue but I'd notice feelings of fatigue in my quads after a long sprint and my calf which cramped really badly during the Ultra Beast was still giving me issues. My coach almost certainly noticed and I provably played only 70 mins of the game instead of the full 90. I'm not used to needing to sub!

Sunday. Not doing much today workout wise. But I am getting together with a friend for brunch, cleaning my apartment and doing laundry. I also need to buy food. I also need to head into work later tonight for a quick video shoot. Yay for catching up on all the things I put off while training!

Monday! New training plan is organized and I went on a very easy and very short run this mornig and it totally counts as a workout! Why you may ask, I'll tell you why! Because in recent months I became so ingrained in training that I kinda lost my love of running. I really enjoyed training for the Ultra Beast but it wasn't always fun. Rewarding, sure, challenging, absolutely, fun, not always. So my goal for the next two moths is to learn to love running again, and if that means running a slow two miles and then heading home, then that's what I'll do! Plus my left calf is still cranky at me from soccer and my race last week.

Here is what my training schedule will look like moving forward:

Monday: Easy Run

Tuesday: Weights A and Easy Run **

Wednesday: Speed work

Thursday: Weights B **

Friday: REST

Saturday: Soccer game!

Sunday: Long run (can be subbed for long hike). Starting Dist: 5miles

Optional Pick Up soccer games. I need to get more time on the ball.

Calorie counting is also starting today. This site is incredibly helpful: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Calorie counting is also starting today. This site is incredibly helpful: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

I've used RFS or http://iifym.com/ previously but that is pretty detailed.

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Fitness Stuffs:

Monday - Super slow and felt kinda shitty 2 miles

Tuesday - Morning weights and after work pickup soccer.

Wednesday - The best run ever! Ok, so this was a really slow, like reaaaally slow 3 miles but it felt freaking great! Like "why haven't I passed that walking mom with a stroller yet" kinda slow. But whatever I loved it and that's what these next two months are about, loving running again.

My breakthrough was the shoes. I re-united with my Newtons which are a little more cushioned and they were just what my legs/calves needed. Previously I've been racing/running in some pretty minimalist (inov-8 and Oesh) shoes and recently I've found I'm struggling to get the miles in. To the point where I take a walk break, look down at my watch and realize I haven't even gone half a mile! WHAT? Today I sailed through the first mile so easily and it really boosted my mood and confidence. I probably could have run more, but knowing I have a speed session tomorrow I decided to keep it simple and end on a good note.

I also tried a new technique where I tried to breathe through my nose the entire run. This was really effective at controlling my pace and making me breathe more from my diaphram. Yeah... nerdy runner things.

Life Stuffs:

Today marks one year since I met my bf. WHAAAA? How did that happen already? Also, he's booked tickets to come see me over new years... which means he'll be meeting my parents. I'm both way excited and way freaked out. I'm not sure why. I guess I just want everybody to like everybody else. This weekend we're taking a backpacking trip into the Sierras and I'm bringing champaigne... because why not, right?

Also, in two weeks I'm heading down to visit an ex whom I've actually managed to stay friends with and we're having lunch.

Is this what adult relationships are?

** Disclaimer, looking at my bank account vs the number of running shoes I own reveals that I am not a real adult. **

I know the feeling. After the big events, a mental recovery is nice, but then you need to look into the next challenge to keep everything going.

I'm in no place to tell you what to do since I'm sitting on my butt and you just tackled the UltraBeast.

That being said, I'm telling you to go for your run. Is there any possible way you're going to regret going for that run? Not likely. Will you regret not going for that run and staying home? Chances are much greater.

Oh, and I'm sub'd, since I haven't commented on here yet. :)

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Dear Weight Training,

This is going to be hard for me to say. But I feel I need to come clean. I've been spending a lot more time with Running recently and I've come to realize that I love her more than you. I know we've had some good times Weight Training, I know. And this doesn't mean good bye forever. But lets just take it slow for a little while. I'll still come visit a few times a week. I'd be lying if I said 'it's not you, it's me.' The truth is... it's running. She's just more fun.

Sincerely,

A Ranger who is Secretly a Scout

I swear this city was trying to sabotage me today! Between having to drop off my rent check and then massive traffic it took me more than an hour to get to the beach path where I run. But I wasn't going to miss two workouts in a row and so I decided that today I would get in my long run for the week since I know I'll be backpacking this weekend. At first I only set out to run 4 miles, but at the turn around point I thought "hey, if I run just another 1/2 mile I'll be forced to complete 5 miles!" So that is what I did. I think my legs only wanted to run 4 miles but it's that extra push that makes you strong :) I'm so glad I got my run in today because now I feel awesome and really proud of myself. I've decided to start my long runs at 5 miles and build from there, mostly because the notion of going back to 12-15mi long runs felt really soul crushing.

I know the feeling. After the big events, a mental recovery is nice, but then you need to look into the next challenge to keep everything going.

I'm in no place to tell you what to do since I'm sitting on my butt and you just tackled the UltraBeast.

That being said, I'm telling you to go for your run. Is there any possible way you're going to regret going for that run? Not likely. Will you regret not going for that run and staying home? Chances are much greater.

Oh, and I'm sub'd, since I haven't commented on here yet. :)

Hello! Glad to see you're back on the NF forums! I didn't see your post until 10pm last night at which point running was not happening. But, I went out and had an awesome 5 mile run today, so it all worked out :)

Dear Weight Training,

This is going to be hard for me to say. But I feel I need to come clean. I've been spending a lot more time with Running recently and I've come to realize that I love her more than you. I know we've had some good times Weight Training, I know. And this doesn't mean good bye forever. But lets just take it slow for a little while. I'll still come visit a few times a week. I'd be lying if I said 'it's not you, it's me.' The truth is... it's running. She's just more fun.

Sincerely,

A Ranger who is Secretly a Scout

Dear Ranger that is secretly a scout,

You know running's only after one thing right? Your gainz. Maybe I should say MY gainz since you have me to thank for them. Once running has taken them from you, how are you going to keep running interested? You'll have nothing left except a collection of worn out sneakers and a half eaten granola bar. Well don't come crawling back to me once running is through with you. Assuming you have the strength left to open the gym door that is. WHICH YOU W-

(Maledictus puts weightlifting on the couch with a bottle of wine and leaves it crying into the note, sobbing incoherently)

So more running eh? Always good. I need to up my distances for next year. I may try the nose breathing thing at the weekend - I'm doing tough guy 10k with a bunch of first timers so I think my health is up to it. A whole heap of grip work required so I have to stay on speaking terms with you know who(gestures over to weightlifting who is now using a copy of 'Runners world' as a dartboard) Hopefully this won't be one of those breakups where we have to pick a side. :)

• Like 2

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

haha.

This happened with me a few months ago re: the Weight Lifting.  You guys have seen the pics - my running peeps are just far more fun than ol' WL.  However, I'm recommitting.  Next week, I'm brining the pain train to the gym.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

haha.

This happened with me a few months ago re: the Weight Lifting.  You guys have seen the pics - my running peeps are just far more fun than ol' WL.  However, I'm recommitting.  Next week, I'm brining the pain train to the gym.

THEY COME BACK THEY ALWAYS DO.   WHAT'S THE MATTER?  RUNNING LEAVE YOU WITH A CASE OF BURNING LOINS? I KNEW I-

(Maledictus drags weight lifting off to bed and wonders how long he should extend the joke before slinking off..)

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

New Adventures!

This weekend the bf and I went backpacking in the Sierras, we started at Sabrina lake and ended up at Moonlight falls, a total of 7 miles each way with only 2,200 ft of gain. Over all a pretty easy weekend for us, but the decision was to take it easy and be kinda lazy... while backpacking. Don't question the logic! It was crazy beautiful with perfect weather.

Leaving Sabrina lake.

Just below our camping spot. So pretty!

The lake we camped at (I believe it was called Hungry Packer) at sunset. With a brief appearance by the bf as I normally see him while we hike, aka taking pictures.

The only downside of this weekend was that my body is in this weird limbo where it can't decide if it's going to get sick or not. I feel like I've been fighting off a cold but not actually getting sick for the better part of a week now! As a result of this my legs felt like lead and I was glad this trail had pretty minimal elevation gain. Oh and my IT band was being a pain in the knee (hahaha) which just goes to confirm that I've been lazy with my foam rolling recently. As a result of all this today will be a rest day. But I'm already planning more new adventures! (see next post)

THEY COME BACK THEY ALWAYS DO.   WHAT'S THE MATTER?  RUNNING LEAVE YOU WITH A CASE OF BURNING LOINS? I KNEW I-

(Maledictus drags weight lifting off to bed and wonders how long he should extend the joke before slinking off..)

This has got to be on the of the funniest rants on my feed! I'm a fan of conversations between real people and imaginary fitness programs for sure. Carry on.

haha.

Yup... Tuesday, as in tomorrow I shall return (again) to the gym. Although I think I'm very lucky in that I don't drop strength very quickly. I started deads back at 135 mostly because I didn't want to end up devastatingly sore but I was totally fine! My PR is 205, but when I last did deads like two months ago I was at 155 so not a ton of loss. Now the plan is to ramp regular lifts up 5lbs/week and deads 10lbs/week. Pain train indeed.

• Like 1

Oooohhhhh .... pretties. That sounds like a fantastic hike!

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Gorgeous hiking shots. Here, we're getting ready to tighten everything down for the winter, and you're still camping. Nice.

You are completely a Spartan racer, though, when you're tossing out statements like "with only 220ft of gain". :D Everything is small after the Ultra Beast, I'm sure.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Gorgeous hiking shots. Here, we're getting ready to tighten everything down for the winter, and you're still camping. Nice.

You are completely a Spartan racer, though, when you're tossing out statements like "with only 220ft of gain". :D Everything is small after the Ultra Beast, I'm sure.

Hahah True. And when you have all day to accomplish it, the gain seems pretty minor, even with an overloaded bag. After the UB I didn't think twice about packing a heavy  bottle of celebration champagne!

Winter is coming to the Sierras too (though not nearly as fast as where you are) It snowed a few weeks back and we probably only have a few more weeks of good weather. Meanwhile in LA it's 90 and I hate it grumpy cat style.

Hahah True. And when you have all day to accomplish it, the gain seems pretty minor, even with an overloaded bag. After the UB I didn't think twice about packing a heavy bottle of celebration champagne!.

AND I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU NEED TO THANK FOR THAT, DON'T WE? NOT RUNNING, THAT'S FOR SURE!

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

AND I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU NEED TO THANK FOR THAT, DON'T WE? NOT RUNNING, THAT'S FOR SURE!

Woah now weight training, remember that nice hour we spent together today? Buddy, come on... chin up, it's going to be ok. If you ever start feeling neglected, just remember that we're doing squats on Thursday ;)

• Like 1

Woah now weight training, remember that nice hour we spent together today? Buddy, come on... chin up, it's going to be ok. If you ever start feeling neglected, just remember that we're doing squats on Thursday ;)

CALL ME.

If I can just hijack this for a bit,

http://www.regimentrunning.com/ultrabeast2

Read this today and thought of you.  Particularly the quote

Less than 200 of 1,200 people made it to the finish line this year, some finished more honorably than others.  This DNF is not a defeat in any sense of the word, and it never will be.  

That is one insane statistic right there.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

CALL ME.

If I can just hijack this for a bit,

http://www.regimentrunning.com/ultrabeast2

Read this today and thought of you.  Particularly the quote

That is one insane statistic right there.

Wow, that is certainly a stat to marvel at. (ha, rhyming). To be honest I haven't read any race reviews. I kinda find them depressing at least right now. But it's good to know I'm not alone in my DNF.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines