Anamal

Something is changing with my diet and its kinda confusing the crap out of me.

I've been eating paleo-ish for the better part of two years now. I call it paleo-ish because I am not all that strict when it comes to certain foods (corn, rice, beans) basically stuff that eight seam that harmful. Although I am good at noting when my body reacts poorly to these foods and minimizing hour often I eat them.

The issue I'm having recently is with protein. I used to be able to eat 120+ grams daily with no issues, but now even getting 100 grand is a struggle and leaves me feeling gross. I've been relying on Vega protein powder to get near 100g/day.

Its like I've gotten tired of eating. Note that's laziness.

I just read that race review and it was a good read. It seems like the people who never quit, the ones who keep going, just "get it". It's about pushing yourself in the first place and the medal is a nice thing to add after the fact.

As for the diet thing, if you've taken your workouts down now after the UB, it might be hard to shovel that much food down. I know I've been making sure to skip entire snacks now that my activity level has gone way down, and that's where a lot of my protein comes in. Especially post workout snacks.

But I also eat dairy and use it to get a lot of my protein. I'm not so much Paleo as avoid all processed food, sugars and keep my wheat consumption down.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

I just read that race review and it was a good read. It seems like the people who never quit, the ones who keep going, just "get it". It's about pushing yourself in the first place and the medal is a nice thing to add after the fact.

As for the diet thing, if you've taken your workouts down now after the UB, it might be hard to shovel that much food down. I know I've been making sure to skip entire snacks now that my activity level has gone way down, and that's where a lot of my protein comes in. Especially post workout snacks.

But I also eat dairy and use it to get a lot of my protein. I'm not so much Paleo as avoid all processed food, sugars and keep my wheat consumption down.

I've decreased my calls a good among, but since I'm still doing the IF protocol I think I'm having a hard time cramming a days worth of food into two meals, hence the protein shakes. I've also learned that I don't actually like protein shakes.

Yesterday I had a really off day for some reason. I guess it happens to everybody now and then, so I did my weight training in the morning but then blew off soccer at night and went home to drink wine. Yeah, that should happen less in the future.

Still I was up this morning for my run, just three miles but I didn't want to go crazy before soccer tomorrow, especially because we're playing one of the best teams in the league.

On a general life note, I've been feeling very bored lately and am in the process of planning new adventures! But I'll have to hold off on that until I actually pay for them next week.

I just went on a huge LeanGains deep dive on both NF and the web and wow... just wow. I learned several things in the process however and thought I'd try and consolidate things in my brain/on paper.

1) Following an IF protocol so far works pretty well for me, as in I'm not starving to death or anything and I actually like having to plan fewer meals. However, I'm not sure it works for fat loss and muscle gain yet. This is mainly because between a race, travel, and general life shiz I haven't been consistently implementing any kind of diet. Starting this week, and for the next 5 week I plan to stick to IF and see how it works.

2) One of the major tennants of the website is calorie and macro nurtient cycling. AKA more carbs and cals on training days, more fats and fewer cals on rest days. Protein stays high always. I will not be doing this, at least not for now. Mostly because I know myself and if I let things get too complicated I get frustrated and bail, it's better to eat the same calories every day and let more intense training days make a greater calorie deficite.

3) There really is a push on BCAA consumption which makes some sense to me and actually fits with my previous experience in taking them. They're not terribly expensive (at least the brand I tried last time) and they taste ok, so I'll probably add them in on days I do fasted training just to see if they aid in recovery.

4) There are about a million studies, and about 99% of them are on dudes, which as always is incredibly frustrating. It can also become overwhelming so I'm pulling myself out of the rabbit hole and generating a program for me that I believe will work. I'm going to stick with this until Thanksgiving (11/27). Just over 6 weeks should give me plenty of time to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted.

THE PLAN (of glory? maybe?):

Nutrition:

1800-1950 calories/day

125g/Protein

Sub 150g/Carbs

Remainder of cals from fats.

On days when I have a soccer game and a long run the next day I'll allow myself some more cals if I feel I need them, as well as lowering fat and prioritizing carbs for recovery and so I'm ready to run/hike long the next day.

Training:

6 Days a week, alternating long/two a days and easy recovery runs.

Monday: Easy recovery run 2-3miles to start, build slowly to 5ish miles by December.

Tueday: Weights AM/SoccerPM (if no soccer then HIIT Session after weights)

Wednesday: Easy recovery run

Thursday: Weights AM/Soccer PM (if no soccer than 3miles before weights in AM)

Friday: REST

Saturday: Soccer Match

Sunday: Long Run (Starting 6miles, builing to 10-12).

TRACKING
This is probably the most important part. I'm going to track weekly milage as well as weights for all my lifts, and post them here. Additionally I'll be taking measurements and weighing myself, but I probably won't post those for a while because a) I'm vain, and B) I'm self concious. Deal with it.

Week ending in 10/5

Mileage 24 (14 hiking, 10 running)
Deads @ 135

Push Press @ 55

Assisted Pull Ups  @ -55

Bench @ ?

Squat @ - Unknown due to mild quad strain

Bent Over Row @ ?

Lunge @ 45

Week ending in 10/12

Mileage 7 (mile quad strain resulted in canceled long run)

Deads @ 145

Push Press @ 55

Assisted Pull Ups  @ -50

Bench @ 60

Squat @ - Unknown due to mild quad strain

Bent Over Row @ 70

Lunge @ 65

Lols. That's a great shot. 

Good looking training/diet plan, too. And I completely feel ya at the frustration of finding different athletic diet plans aimed at women - why do they never think to put one out?! (or at least let you know, hey, your body works differently). 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Lols. That's a great shot. 

Good looking training/diet plan, too. And I completely feel ya at the frustration of finding different athletic diet plans aimed at women - why do they never think to put one out?! (or at least let you know, hey, your body works differently). 

I always hate my race photos and so this time around I made a concerted effort to ham it up for the photographers. Although it appears that my face didn't get the message about smiling... odd.

Thanks! I'm excited to actually stick to it instead of jumping around and chasing the next shiny thing all while being "paleo-ish." But it drives me nuts that so many diets that actually look effective (paleo, lean gains, whatever that might actually be good for you and not rely on 100 cal snack packs) focuses on dudes! And then some ladies write that it either did or didn't work for them but nobody says why! It's so annoying.

Also, I never told you, but your last challenge inspired a total closet purge! Two big garbage bags, an old sheet/comforter set from a bed size I no longer own, and an old printer all made it to Goodwill! Plus some serious bin-based unter the bed organizing of all my hiking/running/whatever gear. Now I just need to finalize what I want my capsule wardrobe to look like and actually go buy some clothes. Anyway, thanks!

• Like 1

Yay! I'm glad to hear you've gotten some inspiration from my massive closet purge :) 

This, btdubbs, is me trying to look badass(?) coming up with the only "pose" I could think of after trudging through the ocean at my last run:

11180877_race_0.7154653145384254.display

Muuuch better than the serious dork face I was pulling earlier in the race :) 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Yay! I'm glad to hear you've gotten some inspiration from my massive closet purge :)

This, btdubbs, is me trying to look badass(?) coming up with the only "pose" I could think of after trudging through the ocean at my last run:

11180877_race_0.7154653145384254.display

Muuuch better than the serious dork face I was pulling earlier in the race :)

Hahahaha I love your pose! Normally I look really angry in my pictures so really among is better than that.

I've been waiting to post this until it was official, but this morning I registered for my first 24 Hour event! I can blame AgentSka and QuirkyDM for convincing me to do this event. I'm sure it will be both a blast and awful. But I think my boyfriend might crew for me, and a good friend of mine is debating running the event with me! It would be really great to have the company, although I never expect people to want to come along on these kinds of things.

For those of your who don't know, a 24hr event in one in which you try to complete as many loops of a course as you can in 24 hours. This event will consist of a 10(ish) mile lap through the Malibu hills. I figure that if I complete three laps that will be the furthest I've ever gone in a day, but my real goal is five laps and 50 miles.

I guess I better get training.

Which brings me to my next adventure! I'm going to be spending Thanksgiving alone this year. Or perhaps I should say alone again. Maybe that sounds sad, but it's really not! I like the alone time and having a vacation all to myself. Normally I would have just started at home and ended up booted out of my mind by the end of the weekend. This year I'm taking myself on a running vacation! I found a cheap cabin rental up near San Luis Obispo that is secluded in the woods and has access to some great running and hiking trails. I'll cook a massive amount of turkey day food on Wednesday night and then spend the next three days running, eating, running some more, and reading books. Now that's my mind of vacation! Maybe the weather gods will smile on me and it will rain the whole trip so I can go play in the mud some!

Hopeful these two upcoming events will knock me out of my boredom rut!

Oh and on a side note I'm still doing well on the diet and training front! I do notice that I sometimes want to eat but on further examination I'm not actually hungry, it's privacy just a hold over from when I was training harder.

• Like 4

I've been waiting to post this until it was official, but this morning I registered for my first 24 Hour event! I can blame AgentSka and QuirkyDM for convincing me to do this event. I'm sure it will be both a blast and awful. But I think my boyfriend might crew for me, and a good friend of mine is debating running the event with me! It would be really great to have the company, although I never expect people to want to come along on these kinds of things.

For those of your who don't know, a 24hr event in one in which you try to complete as many loops of a course as you can in 24 hours. This event will consist of a 10(ish) mile lap through the Malibu hills. I figure that if I complete three laps that will be the furthest I've ever gone in a day, but my real goal is five laps and 50 miles.

I guess I better get training.

Which brings me to my next adventure! I'm going to be spending Thanksgiving alone this year. Or perhaps I should say alone again. Maybe that sounds sad, but it's really not! I like the alone time and having a vacation all to myself. Normally I would have just started at home and ended up booted out of my mind by the end of the weekend. This year I'm taking myself on a running vacation! I found a cheap cabin rental up near San Luis Obispo that is secluded in the woods and has access to some great running and hiking trails. I'll cook a massive amount of turkey day food on Wednesday night and then spend the next three days running, eating, running some more, and reading books. Now that's my mind of vacation! Maybe the weather gods will smile on me and it will rain the whole trip so I can go play in the mud some!

Hopeful these two upcoming events will knock me out of my boredom rut!

Oh and on a side note I'm still doing well on the diet and training front! I do notice that I sometimes want to eat but on further examination I'm not actually hungry, it's privacy just a hold over from when I was training harder.

You are living my dream.

Congrats on the race entry. I can't believe how easy it was to sucker you in I think you'll have an awesome time. I wish I was doing it. I'm going to start keeping my eye open for events like this. Now that I know how much punishment I can take.

That running vacation sounds amazing. I can only speak from my own experience, but alone time is something you get very precious little of when you get a family. I'm sure I'll appreciate the full house more once it empties out, but a weekend of running and reading is a little slice of heaven.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Whaat? That sounds crazybananas and fantastic. 

And the alone running vacation sounds like a great way to recharge your training batteries (not to mention person batteries). Kick ass!

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Well Frick.

So it turns out that my boyfriends holiday party is on the same day as the 24hr Race. And I know he wants me to be there. Also, the party is a total blast. I feel like I can't say "I've been training for this all year" because I super haven't, and I don't want to be one of those people who puts my racing above other people all the time.

What do I do? Help!

So far I can see four options.

1) Do the race, bail on the party.

2) Go to the party, volunteer for a few hours at the race.

3) Try and do both. Likely die in a terrible car crash driving while sleep deprived. Fail at both.

4) Bail on the race and hold my own personal 24hr event. (maybe the best option).

I dunno. This is a bummer man.

Is your friend that might do it with you still onboard? How cute is your boyfriend really ... ?

This might surprise people but I'm inclined to go with option 2. The hills will still be there the weekend after, right?

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I'd go 2 or 4 -- or #5: sign up for one of the other 34 (stab in the dark) 24-hour events being held next year. There will be another opportunity to do the 24-hour deal for stat points. 

Pushing yourself is awesome and rewarding, but so is spending time with loved ones and nurturing primary relationships. Plus, giving the bf a chance to show you off at his holiday party can be pretty bamfy, too :)

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

No 24 hour race for me, but it's all good. Instead the boyfriend and I are going to do Cactus to Clouds the next weekend after his holiday party, which has the privilege to claim the most elevation gain of any hike in the US. You start in the desert near palm springs and ascend something stupid like 10,000ft to the top of Mt San Jacinto. So I have that to look forward to.

My friend was ok with me bailing, mostly because I think he was only 50/50 on doing the race anyway. I'm still considering doing my own solo event, mostly because I'm curious as to what would happen if I started walking and didn't stop for 12 or 24 hours. Like, where would I end up?

Anyway today is a rest day! I have managed to blow off squats for three weeks in a row now because although bailing on the race is the right thing to do, it did sap my motivation to hit the gym after work. But I did go to pickup soccer for over an hour so that's something.

Is your friend that might do it with you still onboard? How cute is your boyfriend really ... ?

This might surprise people but I'm inclined to go with option 2. The hills will still be there the weekend after, right?

I'd go 2 or 4 -- or #5: sign up for one of the other 34 (stab in the dark) 24-hour events being held next year. There will be another opportunity to do the 24-hour deal for stat points.

Pushing yourself is awesome and rewarding, but so is spending time with loved ones and nurturing primary relationships. Plus, giving the bf a chance to show you off at his holiday party can be pretty bamfy, too :)

You guys are right, and I pretty much knew that when I considered asking my bf how much he really wanted me to be there. Douche level 1 trillion. So i told him yesterday that i would be going to the party with him instead. He's far more important in my life than running in circles for hours on end. Plus he put up with me while I was training for the ultra beast and somehow didn't dump my ass.

It's not a 24 hour event... but, road trip?

You had me until I read "drastic elevation change" [emoji1] and the fact that is the same weekend as my Spartan Sprint and hurricane heat. Gotta get that trifecta!

That race sounds like a great compromise - and a good excuse to do something together. Bananas, but good relationship building. 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

This weekend was a little off and as a result I'm feeling a bit bummed out regarding my physical fitness. It started at my soccer game Saturday (we won by the way 1-0) my muscles felt really shaky going into the game, my cardio felt like it was lacking, and my quads especially felt like they fatigued quickly. I didn't sub at all the first half and twice the second half, probably amounted to less than 7 minutes on the side line. I basically felt like I played like shit. However when I mentioned this to my coach he seemed surprised and said I was "all over the field." Whatever. Also being fouled by two chicks on the other team messed up my back and hips decently. Can you have whiplash in your low back?

Sore back = slept very poorly. But I felt OK when I woke up today so I dutifully headed out for my long run. Going into it I wanted to run 7 miles although I technically only needed 6 to best my last 'long' run by a mile. Instead I made it 4 miles and walked the last two back to my car. Weirdly enough my gamin told me I ran one mile at close to a minute faster than my normal per mile time. I'm inclined to chock that up to either GPS error, or I went out way too fast which is perhaps why I totally fell apart at the end. That and my form started to really deteriorate. My arms felt so heavy!

Anyway I'm going to move weight training to tomorrow and take a day off cardio. Hopeful a good night of sleep will set my mind and body right.

Anyway I'm going to move weight training to tomorrow and take a day off cardio. Hopeful a good night of sleep will set my mind and body right.

SHE CAME BACK. THEY ALWAYS DO!

• Like 1

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Yeah.... Except I didn't. I still basically felt like crap this morning and while I made it to the gym the best I could manage was 30 minutes of stretching. Here is billing that tomorrow is better.

RUNNING STOLE UR GAINZ. TOLD YA.
  • Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Confession time:

I have become lazy, unmotivated, and if I'm not careful I'm soon going to become very, very fat.

I've fallen into a rut, and I'm not sure how to get out! And at points I'm not sure I even care to get out of it. I'm just too unmotivated by whats going on around me to be bothered. That sounds very juvinile and pathetic I'm sure, but it's also honest, so deal. This city bores me, with it's endless miles of traffic and smog that obscure the mountains. My desire to get away and spend more time in nature is thwarted by the fact that it would take me more than an hour in morning traffic (EACH WAY!) to get to the closest mountains whose trails I've run more times than I can count. Work is OK, but I feel like I've stopped progressing. I've asked my boss for more work and so I am kept busy all day, but it's not challenging per say, it just is.

I'm not sure where to go with this. I want something new in my life, adventure, or just anything really. But then my meager bank account and always looming student loan payments remind me to calm the fuck down and try not to drive as much.

It sounds and feels a bit pathetic to complain like this but this is the best way I can figure to articulate my head space at the moment. From where I stand now everything around me looks like one big "meh" that stretches into the horizon. Bored.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines