Anamal

We all have the mehs at one time or another. They're probably also the 'I just got done doing my big physical thing and have nothing I'm reaching for this second' blahs, too. A double whammy of blergh.

A few things I've done in the past to break out of the mehs (that don't involve fire-bombing my life or moving - both of which I was at one time an expert at):

Rearrange the house 

Get rid of shit

Repaint, hang new art, get a rug - just make things look different

Go have a cheesy touristy day 

Join a Meetup in your area 

Manicure/pedicure or new hairstyle

Take a class or do one of those paint things with wine dealies

Take a looooooonnng drive

Hit the farmer's markets/fruit stands/local food things

Naked night

And things I've heard espoused all over the Internets but suck at:

Something along the lines of a thankfulness journal or taking time each day to meditate on what you want/how to get it

Practicing mindfulness. 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

We all have the mehs at one time or another. They're probably also the 'I just got done doing my big physical thing and have nothing I'm reaching for this second' blahs, too. A double whammy of blergh.

A few things I've done in the past to break out of the mehs (that don't involve fire-bombing my life or moving - both of which I was at one time an expert at):

Rearrange the house

Get rid of shit

Repaint, hang new art, get a rug - just make things look different

Go have a cheesy touristy day

Join a Meetup in your area

Manicure/pedicure or new hairstyle

Take a class or do one of those paint things with wine dealies

Take a looooooonnng drive

Hit the farmer's markets/fruit stands/local food things

Naked night

And things I've heard espoused all over the Internets but suck at:

Something along the lines of a thankfulness journal or taking time each day to meditate on what you want/how to get it

Practicing mindfulness.

Oh but the urge to firebomb and move is so high! I think part of this current fink is that I haven't lived in one city for this long since I left high school.

But I like your suggestions! I'm actually gong out of town this weekend after my soccer game. And maybe I'll register for that spring 50 mike race so its in the books and official.

Firebombing is fantastic and satisfying, but totally doesn't *actually* fix the issue, unfortunately. 

Hopefully this weekend's trip will help with the perspective shift - and Spring races are definitely good to look forward to. 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

You've just conquered some big challenges and now you're probably in a state of "don't want to kill myself right now" and "I need something to keep me interested".

I ran into this a few years ago. When we're kids, everything is all about "hitting the next level". You move up a grade every year. You get to try out for new teams, become a senior, graduate, etc. You take a martial art and you get a new belt every few months to a year. (or a stripe even more frequently) You're learning new skills all the time. You get a job which is a new goal in itself. Then you might get some promotions and that's hitting the next level.

Then somewhere along the way, the level ups are way more infrequent, or they're a lot more subtle and hard to figure out. Motivation becomes pretty tough.

I think you've got the right idea. You don't need to make snap decisions, but if you end up feeling this way for a while, think about what you want and how to get it. Maybe you need a new job. Maybe you need a new sport to try out. Playing the sports you're great at is always fun, but I really enjoy learning something new. It's more challenging and keeps me excited. Set your sights on a running or lifting PR and go hit it.

You'll figure it out. And hey, if you ever get really stuck, you can always fall back on running with a tire behind you or some other insanity to remind you that you can pretty much kick ass at whatever you want, so you just need to decide what that is.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Dissapeared for a few days and now I'm back! I'm feeling better after this weekend and Steve's recent post about his Epic Quest has got me thinking about how I would like to live my life on a daily basis.

Nothing concrete yet, but I'm thinking of implementing a "do something new every week" challenge for myself now through the end of the year.

--- more details to come.

Firebombing is fantastic and satisfying, but totally doesn't *actually* fix the issue, unfortunately. 

Hopefully this weekend's trip will help with the perspective shift - and Spring races are definitely good to look forward to. 

Yeah and if I'm honest it was never really an option. I like my job and boyfriend too much to just bail on that. Plus all those practical little things like where would I live and how would I make money really bring things into perspective.

You've just conquered some big challenges and now you're probably in a state of "don't want to kill myself right now" and "I need something to keep me interested".

Yes! This is exactly it. You've hit the nail on the head better than I've been able to articulate this myself. Part of me is all "weee let's go crazy! hiking, backpacking, whatever, I want adventures now!" and part of me then slides in and goes "geez that's hard/far/expensive/do you really want to do that?" which results in me doing nothing much. Recently the idea of "attainable adventures" came to mind, something like new but more moderate experience every week. We'll see where that leads. Plus based on some calculations I need to start ultramarathon training on December 1st so that's coming up.

Yes! This is exactly it. You've hit the nail on the head better than I've been able to articulate this myself. Part of me is all "weee let's go crazy! hiking, backpacking, whatever, I want adventures now!" and part of me then slides in and goes "geez that's hard/far/expensive/do you really want to do that?" which results in me doing nothing much. Recently the idea of "attainable adventures" came to mind, something like new but more moderate experience every week. We'll see where that leads. Plus based on some calculations I need to start ultramarathon training on December 1st so that's coming up.

I've got something great for you & it's FREE!!!

Plus, you've already given a verbal!  I assure you it will help knock you out of your funk.  GO!!  Tomorrow morning!  GOOOOOO!!!!

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Plus, you've already given a verbal!  I assure you it will help knock you out of your funk.  GO!!  Tomorrow morning!  GOOOOOO!!!!

Oh. Oh my. That is one heck of a funk buster. If you don't want it, then at least go over there and tell them to all move up to Ottawa where they'll be appreciated properly.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

Two things:

1) An awesome woot!

and

2) I'm issuing myself a challenge!

1) Today/yesterday I finally got around to doing something that I've been wanting to try for a while, run commuting! Yesterday morning I drove to work with an extra set of clothes in the car. Then after work I changed and ran to meet my bf at a grocery store by his place (8.5 miles total). Then today I hit the road before the sun was even up at logged 9.5 miles back into work! The second run was hard, but not killer hard, I just took more walking intervals than I did the day before. My foot started hurting pretty bad in the last half mile and I was forced to walk, but the rest of me felt pretty ok. I'm about 50% concerned that might foot might acutally be injured :-/ I've had this sort of pain before, but I think if I just ice it and take it easy today it will be fine tomorrow.

My goal with this run commute thing is to start doing this a few days a week to log some weekday miles (if I run home it's only 6 miles) and eventually build up so that I can go round trip in each day, maybe just once a week though.

2) CHALLENGE TIME! In order to get me out of my funk (which I'm already feeling better about) I'm going to start doing one moderate adventure each week, just something I've never done before to help me break the mold. These adventures have to fall above "I've never eaten this food before" but ideally below some massive near-death mountain rescue scene.

For example

- Last weeks adventure was watching a meteor shower in the desert, and then going to this random venue (Pappy and Harriets) to see two bands I had never seen before.

- This week was my run commute adventure!

I'm going tomorrow! I promise you I'm going tomorrow. Come back here... tomorrow, check in. I will have gone, it will have happened :)

• Like 1

That sounds like a great way to sneak in some extra exercise during the week! 

And meteor showers in the desert .. how cool is that?!

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

I'm going tomorrow! I promise you I'm going tomorrow. Come back here... tomorrow, check in. I will have gone, it will have happened :)

Sounds like that's a week worth of adventure right there.

I've seriously been considering run commuting myself. Now that it's getting colder, biking is not an option. And how much money would I save by not driving? I'm just waiting until I get the thumbs up to run again and then we'll see where I'm at. A little Zombies,Run! to start the work day perhaps?

Quirky DM

Before you ask (not that I'm sure anybody was going to)

I DID NOT make it to the November project today :(

I woke up at 5:30am with the best intentions, put my feet on the group and realized I cannot walk without limping. My mild foot pain from yesterday turned into some moderate bruising and swelling over night. It seems to get better the more I walk and move around, but I'm not trusting it to run on, especially because I have soccer on Saturday.

THIS IS SUCH A BUMMER! Aside from my foot and some mild soreness I actually feel really good after running 18miles in two days. Garrggghhhh!

It might be time to invest in some new shoes. A similar thing happened last time I increased mileage in my newtons. I believe what is happening is called Cuboid syndrome (basically the cuboid bone in your foot partially dislocates), but this time is worst than the last.

Foot still mildly bum.

Going to try running again tomorrow before weights, and then perhaps look into new shoes. Ultra training starts Dec 1st so I need to figure this out and break in new shoes.

Dusted off "Racing Weight" book from my triathlon days. Still aiming to drop 10-15lbs.

In my continued education about myself I have learned several thing about diet and exercise.

First off Diet - Because they say that's most important:
1) I cannot do low carb! And by low carb I mean sub 100g/day. I'm much happier in the 100-200g/day field, which given the number of weekly workouts I do is still decently low. I kept trying to do low carb, I really did, but after a few days I get moody, easily frustrated, and have a tendancy to bail halfway through a workout. Drop carbs too low and performance suffers which to me is the opposite of what a healthy diet should be. So calorie counting will still be a thing, whole foods will still be a thing, but actively trying to limit carbs will NOT be a thing. Besides you can eat a TON of fruit and veggies and still keep carbs relatively (compaired to SAD) low.

2) Dairy and Cardio don't mix. I had this weird craving for cottage cheese this week (yeah... not sure what that's about) and since I was trying to keep carbs low I figured that a fat and protein dense food would be ideal. Well maybe if I only did weight training, but this mornings run confirmed to me what I've suspected for a long time, dairy leads to some mild chest congestion that makes most cardio feel harder than it needs to. I'm not really lactose intolerant, so I'll be placing dairy in the "less than optimal" category along with beans and corn. These foods are not nearly in the same camp as gluten when it comes to making me feel like crap, but as my diet gets cleaner I do notice that I feel better without them. Will I have some ice cream on birthdays? Yes! Will I be eating cheese as part of my regular diet during the training season? No.

I am an experiment of 1!

Which brings us to exercise! Specifically running. I'm still in the experiment phase here. Not that I don't know how to run in some capacity, but I'm curious as to what sort of improvements I could make if I were to apply the same kind of riggor to running as I do with other skills in my life. Study, learn from the pros, practice, improve, do the hard stuff.

1) My foot is not 100% yet which gave me the opportunity to work on some other stuff today. Since my run wasn't going to be my main workout today I ran 1/2 mile to a nice park and did form drills which I'm going to encorporate a few times a week as I build mileage.

- Barefoot running (to strengthen feet).

- Tempo running with a metronome at 180 beats (strides) per minute.

180 strides per minute is about 30% faster than my current stride rate, so it felt kinda weird and fast, but also like it could make me fast(er) and it was really fun if not a little awkward. Additionally doing strides barefoot forces you into a really good running posture. Back up, light on the balls of your feet, not over striding so you can't land heavy on your heels. This will take some more work to be able to always run like this, but I think it will be very beneficial.

2) Heart rate training and the 80/20 rule. I've been reading about Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 rule in which he argues that 80% of your runs should be performed easy and in the aerobic zone, 20% should be hard and in the anaerobic zone, and that most runners simply do all their workouts in some middle ground in which neither speed nor endurance is optimally trained. And he's not the only one saying this! Actually after a decent research rabit hole it seems that the best runners in the world train this way. So why not me too? The plan for this is as follows:

- Aquire heart rate monitor and strictly self-enforce training in specific zones based on the goal of the workout.

---- Map out 4 mile loop and re-test every month. As aerobic capacity improves so should time despite heart rate remaining the same.

- Perform part of every run at 180 strides per minute until pace and fitness readjust and 180 becomes standard stride rate.

- Perform barefoot running 2-3 times each week to work on foot strength. Starting at 30sec to a 1min of running and build to 20+ minutes.

- Look into new zero drop running shoes. Not vibrams, more like Altras since most of my running is done on pavement I want a neutral, but cushioned shoe.

SCIENCE!

Science FTW!

That all looks like a solid platform to move forward - plus, yay, insight into your specific model! 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

I really want to shift my mentality away from the contsant desire to be thinner, or weigh less than I currently do and towards a mental space in which food is tasty tasty fuel and building muscle takes precidence over what size jeans I wear. But this, as many things in life, is easier said than done.

Yesterday I was starving all. Day. Long! It was rediculous. Aside from a Quest Nutrition Bar I ate 100% real foods but still managed to end up about 300 calories above my upper limits for daily intake. So instead of punishing muself with hours of cardio this morning I went in and totally killed my lift session! BOOYAH! I felt strong as f--k, really challenged myself and left feeling totally spent. I just started a three days a week legs/push/pull routine and since it was already the middle of the week I decided to combine push and pull :) Fun stuff!

Here are where my current lifts stand:

Back Squat 4x6-8 @ 95

Deads 3x5 165

Bent Over Row 5x5 @ 95

Assisted Pull ups/Chin ups 5x5 @ -55

Bench Press 4x5 @ 80 1x5 @ 75 (didnt' want to drop the bar on my face)

Close Grip Bench 5x5 @ 45

Push Press 5x5 @ 75

I'd like to get my deads near 200 by the end of this year and my bench at or near 100lbs by years end too.

• Like 1

Not feeling as sore today as I anticipated despite feeling like I worked out really hard yesterday. Ya know what that means? MOAR LIFTING! MOAR WEIGHTS!

My cardio on the other hand feels like it's really slipping. I want to go out and run, but my foot still hurts and it gets mad at me easily. Depending how I feel after soccer tomorrow I might go see a doctor. :(

Also a note about diet. The 16/8 style of fasting (fast 16hrs, eat during an 8hr window) it's really working for me. I tried, and I've decided it's not ideal. I really like training fasted, so I'll continue with that but probably plan to have breakfast within an hour of leaving the gym. I notice that if I train hard and then don't eat I get really frantic around 10am and I only start to think about food. If I'm really really reaaaally busy this doesn't happen, but that's true regardless of my fasting/feeding window. For the next few weeks I want to try adding 1 day of 24hr fasting in, likely on Friday since it's typically a rest day for me.

Saturday - Soccer. We won! I played pretty well, and I definitely think dropping out dairy before big cardio events helps. I also cleaned and meal prepped like crazy!

Sunday - Was supposed to be a long run - instead I had to go into the office :( I ended up doing close to two hours of pickup soccer with a super fun group! I need to start playing more co-ed because it's a much more challenging game than with just girls.

Monday - HIIT and legs turned into Push day because damn I was sore from soccer.

The menu this week is:

- Tri-tip with garlic green beans, and roasted red potatoes with dried tomatoes.

- Paleo chili with italian sausage and sweet potato.

- Garlic chicken with black rice and sauteed bok choy and carrots.

Also on my plate this week is tons and tons of work followed by driving to Orange on Saturday at 8am to photograph a car. Thank god I get payed OT... but I'd kinda like to see my boyfriend in there some time.

Yum. And I hear you on the wanting to shift focus from 'skinny' to 'muscle'. It's a hard one - and something I also struggle with. But, we'll get there - I have no doubt. 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

I'm back baby! Did a 3 mile run this morning and had no foot pain. Wooo! I think soccer last week actually popped the bone in my foot back into place. Now it's time to start building an awesome aerobic base.

Second, now that I'm getting back into weight training more sincerely, I'm setting up some goals for myself. I think these are attainable goals by end of the year:

Dead lift current 165 -> year end goal 200

Bench current 80 -> year end goal 100

Squat current 95 -> year end goal 120

Overall I'd like to be able to squat my body weight and dead lift double my body weight, but that would be close to doubling both of those current lifts so I know that will take some time to work towards.

Yum. And I hear you on the wanting to shift focus from 'skinny' to 'muscle'. It's a hard one - and something I also struggle with. But, we'll get there - I have no doubt. 

Yeah I realized that I've been "dieting" or trying to lose weight for so long! And on top of that, it wasn't really working. I wasn't gaining but I wasn't progressing either, so it's time to shake things up!

A pretty mild legs workout yesterday. Some princess-bros were having social hour all over the squat racks, because god forbid you learn how to pick a weight off the ground for your stupid shoulder shrugs. So I improvised with goblet squats at a lower weight, reverse lunges, and calf raises. A little soreness today so not all is lost.

Ran 4 miles this morning and felt the best I have in a long while. My new and more relaxed diet is probably responsible for this. More carbs = better recovery = more awesome workouts. My current accountability consists of "Are you proud of how you ate today?" the answer is either yes or no.

Between work being insanely busy and being on the hunt for a new roommate I haven't had an evening off to play soccer (and we don't have a league game this weekend. Sad). But I've run twice, hit weights twice with pull (aka deads aka my favorite) scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see if I can get in one or two pickup games this weekend.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines