Anamal

I love dead lifts, dead lifts are just my favorite.

3x3 @ 175! And 1x3 at 180 just because I felt really good after my working set and wanted to see if I could. Six weeks ago my deads were at 135, so yeah, I'd say I'm progressing. Getting back up towards my PR which is 205.

So a few minor changes this week that are leading to major success. I just feel better about everything.

- Eating for performance, not for fat loss is going amazing!

- I'm over trying to be paleo. I know Steve and Staci and a lot of people on NF really love paleo, but after a year and a half of trying and not getting the results I want, I'm done. Granted I still eat really well, but more rice and some oatmeal, peanut butter instead of almond butter. I'm also reigning in the protein intake. Too much protein can make me feel bloated and gross and I'm not sure I really need 160g/day to maintain muscles.

- Eating to hunger cues is more fun than counting calories.

- When I'm not forcing myself to be so strict it's actually easier to be better at my diet. I don't feel deprived or starved for carbs so it's easier to eat well knowing I could have a treat if I want to. But right now I'm enjoying feeling awesome and not that interested in sweets.

One thing I did notice this week, is that I can only manage so much stress at once and as a result I've started biting my nails again, I kicked that habit (or so I thought) a year and a half ago, but now it's back. It's not the end of the world, but clearly the frantic nature of work is getting to me a bit. But if workouts are awesome, and my diet is awesome and my hands look like crap... I can deal with that.

So crazy thoughts here...

1) What if instead of a 50mile in early April I did a 50km in mid-late april, still an ultra, just a bit shorter.

2) What if I looked into powerlifting and competing... I have no idea where to start here, but it suddenly intrigues me (also moving my ultra debut to later and shorter distance would give me time to figure this out and work on weights).

Not so crazy. Heck, on the AwkwardActive scale, that's waaaay down the list of crazy.

Going into powerlifting and doing any ultra endurance training seems like cross purpose goals to me. But since I haven't done either, I can't comment too strongly on that.

And congrats on the deadlift PR. That's fantastic!

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Not so crazy. Heck, on the AwkwardActive scale, that's waaaay down the list of crazy.

Going into powerlifting and doing any ultra endurance training seems like cross purpose goals to me. But since I haven't done either, I can't comment too strongly on that.

And congrats on the deadlift PR. That's fantastic!

You're actually right on this one... which I already knew, but I have a tendency to want to do ALL THE THINGS! Seriously, on a hike yesterday I was talking to a friend about getting back into rock climbing, which I so don't have time for but still miss. Right now I'm really enjoying the gym and playing soccer, but I still really want to do an ultra this year (or maybe two, a spring 50k and a fall 50 miler). However with my runs hovering in the 5-6 mile range I'm not really in a place to start ultra training in a few weeks. However, if I push back to a shorter race a few weeks further out I get another month or so before serious training would start sometime in January.

So many things!

• Like 1

I love dead lifts, dead lifts are just my favorite.

3x3 @ 175! And 1x3 at 180 just because I felt really good after my working set and wanted to see if I could. Six weeks ago my deads were at 135, so yeah, I'd say I'm progressing. Getting back up towards my PR which is 205.

So a few minor changes this week that are leading to major success. I just feel better about everything.

- Eating for performance, not for fat loss is going amazing!

- I'm over trying to be paleo. I know Steve and Staci and a lot of people on NF really love paleo, but after a year and a half of trying and not getting the results I want, I'm done. Granted I still eat really well, but more rice and some oatmeal, peanut butter instead of almond butter. I'm also reigning in the protein intake. Too much protein can make me feel bloated and gross and I'm not sure I really need 160g/day to maintain muscles.

- Eating to hunger cues is more fun than counting calories.

- When I'm not forcing myself to be so strict it's actually easier to be better at my diet. I don't feel deprived or starved for carbs so it's easier to eat well knowing I could have a treat if I want to. But right now I'm enjoying feeling awesome and not that interested in sweets.

One thing I did notice this week, is that I can only manage so much stress at once and as a result I've started biting my nails again, I kicked that habit (or so I thought) a year and a half ago, but now it's back. It's not the end of the world, but clearly the frantic nature of work is getting to me a bit. But if workouts are awesome, and my diet is awesome and my hands look like crap... I can deal with that.

Paleo is certainly not a cure all.  It works for many people.  And, doesn't work for many more.  I've stayed away from going into any one particular diet.  I just try to be sensible with what I eat.  And, yes, I find it far less stressful than counting calories.  I know when I am hungry.  I know what is good for my body and what isn't.  I make decisions based on that and my performance goals and am pretty happy with it.

Glad, you have found what is working for you!

Yeah, I don't know many people that run ultras and compete in lifting.  But, that doesn't mean it can't be done.  I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of each.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

So something kinda weird and magical happened today.

I decided I needed a rest day, and that I should also weigh myself since I hadn't in several weeks. This was more out of pure curiosity than anything else. Well it turns out that I lost three pounds. This is kinda amazing for several reasons.

1) As some of you know, about two weeks ago I gave up trying to lose fat. I just didn't care anymore, and I decided I wanted to focus on performance, build my strength and just generally stop caring so much about every little macro. I still eat healthy, I'm just way less neurotic about the whole thing.

2) The night before I had nachos and a drink with the boyfriend.

And now the weird one...

3) Despite being close to my lowest ever weight I realized that I didn't care that much. Normally seeing a lower number on the scale would have made me incredibly happy. The last time I weighed close to this (maybe 3lbs less) I didn't even know what a deadlift was, much less be able to lift more than my own body weight, I was a freshmen in college, and wore pants two sizes bigger than I do now. What it comes down to is that I now realize how completely insignificant my weight is. It's nice to feel this way.

• Like 3

Paleo is certainly not a cure all.  It works for many people.  And, doesn't work for many more.  I've stayed away from going into any one particular diet.  I just try to be sensible with what I eat.  And, yes, I find it far less stressful than counting calories.  I know when I am hungry.  I know what is good for my body and what isn't.  I make decisions based on that and my performance goals and am pretty happy with it.

Glad, you have found what is working for you!

Yeah, I don't know many people that run ultras and compete in lifting.  But, that doesn't mean it can't be done.  I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of each.

Yeah I think my continued attraction to paleo was based on how many people on NF swear by it. But it finally comes down to how much energy I was willing to put into something that wasn't delivering what I wanted. Isn't that the definition of insanity? Trying the same things and expecting new results?

I'm not sure I'd ever compete in lifting, but I definitely have a few goals in mind that would put me in a category where I could be competitive. And as for ultras, I'm never going to be competitive there, just not fast enough. So for the time being I'm going to keep lifting and working on upping my weights as a means of injury prevention for running and soccer. That seems reasonable to me.

Also, you're a speedy runner, can I skip speed work if I play soccer 2-3 times a week? I'm running out of time in the day to schedule in all my exercise!

Yay, magical mental adjustments!!!!!! That is a HUGE thing - congratulations! 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

3) Despite being close to my lowest ever weight I realized that I didn't care that much. Normally seeing a lower number on the scale would have made me incredibly happy. The last time I weighed close to this (maybe 3lbs less) I didn't even know what a deadlift was, much less be able to lift more than my own body weight, I was a freshmen in college, and wore pants two sizes bigger than I do now. What it comes down to is that I now realize how completely insignificant my weight is. It's nice to feel this way.

The weight loss is a big congrats, but this is a HUGE congratz. This is awesome.

• Like 2

Quirky DM

Me: I haven't been sleeping well so let's get a little more rest Thursday morning and then go for an easy run. I can be into the office a little later than normal.

Body: WEE I'M WIDE AWAKE AT 5AM! NO WE CAN'T GO BACK TO SLEEP!

Me: fk it fine. Let's burn off this extra annoyance and energy at the gym. Pull day it is.

And in still in the office by 8:30am even after an extra lounge gym session. Good news, deads are now up to 3x3 @ 185, probably would have been higher but leg day was yesterday.

Still sleepy though.

Yeah!

I'd say you can skip speed work if you are sprinting up and down a soccer field 2-3 times a week.  Besides, given that your running goals are loooooong distances, I wouldn't worry too much about the speed work right now.

I agree with Quirky - Congrats on crossing that mental hurdle.  That is a big one!

Alright, time to issue myself a challenge! I've been kinda slacking on creating tangible challenges and just keeping a battle log instead, but it's probably time I have something to aim for.

Short Term Challenge:

PI for a Week!

With thanksgiving coming up and with that the kick off of "eating season" a team which is truly gross. I want to pick up a running challenge. Start date Nov 22, end date Nov 29th.

GOAL: Run at least 31.4 miles this week. Bonuses for extra miles and hiking done.

Super Goal: 62.8 (hiking and running).

Crazy Massive bonus no-pressure goal: 94.2

Long Term Challenge:

Put on a Happy Face!

So I'm not the most social person, I'm pretty introverted and on top of that I can get into a bit of a logical lizard brain where in my work is good, but I don't really have that amiable showmanship that should go along with it, and frankly I rarely see the need. Now, if I was an engineer I could probably get away with being a jerk so long as my work was good. However, I work in a creative field and this is not acceptable. So through the end of the year (and continuing as these become habits) I will put conscious effort into the following:

Never let them see you sweat: aka smile more and make an effort to say "yes" to more even if that project is dumb/minor, never let the team know you feel that way.

Hey, I know you! aka use peoples names, be friendly and make an effort to get to know more co-workers.

Pride is Power aka be proud of my work and minimize negative self-talk. I'm kinda prone to assuming that everything I do will suck... or at least that whatever I do will at best be mediocre. I'm constantly surprised by complements, and find getting them to be an awkward experience. Moving forward I want to take pride in my work and strive to make every project, no matter how small, or seemingly useless it is, the best that it can be.

"I Don't Know How Long This Will Take" Challenge:

Deadlift 3x3 @ 225.

My current is 185 so this is obviously a big jump. My PR is 205 which also means this isn't unreasonable. I think it would be totally bad ass to stack two 45lb plates on each end of the bar for deads. Since I'll be exceeding my previous PR it's hard for me to tell how long this will take. So I'll just keep plugging away, week by week.

I'd say you can skip speed work if you are sprinting up and down a soccer field 2-3 times a week.  Besides, given that your running goals are loooooong distances, I wouldn't worry too much about the speed work right now.

I agree with Quirky - Congrats on crossing that mental hurdle.  That is a big one!

Awesome. I have far too many hobbies for the number of hours that are in a day.

Alright, time to issue myself a challenge! I've been kinda slacking on creating tangible challenges and just keeping a battle log instead, but it's probably time I have something to aim for.

Short Term Challenge:

PI for a Week!

With thanksgiving coming up and with that the kick off of "eating season" a team which is truly gross. I want to pick up a running challenge. Start date Nov 22, end date Nov 29th.

GOAL: Run at least 31.4 miles this week. Bonuses for extra miles and hiking done.

Super Goal: 62.8 (hiking and running).

Crazy Massive bonus no-pressure goal: 94.2

Those are crazy goals. Except that it's you. I don't know about you, but don't you still sort of get amazed when you say "I'm going to run 30+ miles this week, for fun" ?

Now, if I was an engineer I could probably get away with being a jerk so long as my work was good.

Ha, I'm an engineer and I'd be offended except I'm good at my job and I'm not a jerk. Except when I get competitive. Or someone upsets me. Or I'm talking. Or if I'm being silent. Wait, what was the question again?

Quirky DM

Saturday - Soccer and then massive apartment cleaning.

Sunday - Got in my first 3.14 miles of the week and then hit the gym for chest and shoulders (aka push day).

Monday - Pickup soccer with the boys. AND I AM TIRED! My legs are certainly lagging and my upper body is very sore and stiff from my gym session yesterday, so probably no running today, especially since I have dinner plans and then need to pick up a dress for the holiday party next week.

But it's a shorty week and a half day Wednesday and then it's off to beautiful San Luis Obispo for trail running, wine drinking, and book reading!

Those are crazy goals. Except that it's you. I don't know about you, but don't you still sort of get amazed when you say "I'm going to run 30+ miles this week, for fun" ?

Ha, I'm an engineer and I'd be offended except I'm good at my job and I'm not a jerk. Except when I get competitive. Or someone upsets me. Or I'm talking. Or if I'm being silent. Wait, what was the question again?

It's weird because that doesn't seem like all that far to me... but I guess it's all relative. Also given that I've only run 3.14 of those miles I might be getting ahead of myself.

And I'm not hating on engineers. My mom is an engineer, so is my boyfriend, so are some of my best childhood friends but I know that it's one of the fields where personality isn't a large factor in career success.

Ok... I went too hard on push day on Sunday and it's basically throwing off my whole week. The issue is that I had a blast doing it, but three days of DOMS has taught me that I maybe need to mellow out. More or less I haven't recovered fully from lots of soccer and lots of weights.

This is mostly sad because it messed up pull day commonly known as dead lift day, more commonly know as THE BEST DAY EVER!

Here are the facts:

- Today I did not want to gym

- Crazy powerlifting super lady inspired me

- Hauled my ass to gym

- Got my deads in

- Bailed on rest of pull day, running, abs, and did some lame squats *the tired is so real*

- Ultimately decided fk it because I want to feel good for vacation on Thursday

The Good News:

Deads 3x3 @ 195! Sooo close to the 200 club!

I also went over to the Academy page and while scrolling through the quests realized that I've crossed of several quests without even realizing it!

Bench Press 1/2 Body weight

Squat 1/2 Body weight

Deadlift 1/2 body weight

Deadlift 1x body weight

Woo! Suddenly feeling better about myself.

• Like 1

I also went over to the Academy page and while scrolling through the quests realized that I've crossed of several quests without even realizing it!

Bench Press 1/2 Body weight

Squat 1/2 Body weight

Deadlift 1/2 body weight

Deadlift 1x body weight

Woo! Suddenly feeling better about myself.

BOOM!!

Weekend Wrap Up. With Pictures!

First off I did not make my 31.4 mileage goal for the week. I was suffering from a lingering chest cold which left me unable to even walk up a gentle hill without getting winded. So instead I walked my miles. However, even at a 17min/mile pace it still take a LOT longer to walk places. I ended up 2 pi short and covered 25.12 total. Not crazy impressive. But not terrible. Still I had an awesome time, relaxed and read a lot.

Here are some pretty pictures!

I started with my first Pi in the cute little town of San Luis Obispo. There was almost nobody out! Which I thought was weird until I realized it was turkey day.

After walking around SLO I drove another 30mins north to Templeton, CA where I would be staying. And I set up all the necessary items.

This is the road that left the cabin I was staying at. I walked up/down this a lot as I generally tried to drive as little as possible.

These two pictures are from my "Buy Nothing Day" participation! More commonly known as Black Friday, but as a person who secludes themselves away from people over Thanksgiving weekend, you might correctly guess that a busy mall is not my idea of a good time.

I was originally supposed to leave Sunday morning but opted instead of leave Saturday afternoon so that I could see some friends and pick up the bf from the airport on Sunday.

I called this my Walk Down the Coast. I took one last pi walk around the cabin and then started the drive south. I would simply stop the car and get in some Pi everywhere I thought looked nice. I ended up with pix4 that day for my efforts.

First stop is Pismo Beach.

Next I found this bike path than ran 3 miles from the highway to Avila beach.

The beach.

Not sure what else to say about these other than lots of walking, lots of walking, lots of walking, lots of walking, lots of walking. I like walking. I also like listening to podcasts while walking.

• Like 1

And now it's December 1st, which means it's time for NEW GOALS!

I know NF operates on a 6 week Challenge system, but I find monthly goals work better for me.

100 Mile Month

- Somewhat self explanitory. Run/walk 100 miles during the month of December.

Get my Drank On

- Drink at least 3 liters of water each day. I'm terrible at remembering this.

Wait, what Did I Just eat?

- Write down food in a diary pen and paper style. No calorie or macro counting, no measuring stuff out, I just want to write down what I eat so I can review later. I have almost zero memory for what I eat unless it's something unhealthy which leads me to believe that I eat like crap, which is almost certainly not true. This will hopefully allow me to be accountable without being neurotic or forcing myself to over/under eat based on a random number.

Dec 2 5/100 miles completed.

It's raining in LA! So of course I had to go out running. Running in the rain is just my favorite.

However, on my 5 mile run I received no less that three cat-calls. Dudes, what makes you think this is ok? Also, it's far more prevalent then most people believe, hence why I'm mentioning it here. I'm not sure which is more distressing: the knowledge that I will get cat-called at least once every time I run on the streets (as opposed to trails), or that it's become so frequent that I no longer am bothered by it. To be a woman in public, dressed any way and participating in any activity is to be subject to potential street harassment. So thanks for that men.

I absolutely feel your pain. 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I really, really REALLY did not want to go to the gym today! But I'm glad I made myself go... even if it required a red-eye coffee to get there.I did push day and only PR-ed my bench (but only by 2 sets, not the usual 5) and close grip bench. Deads were a joke, and overhead press was also pretty sad. I just felt kinda tired.

Oh well, tomorrow will be a rest day, and then Saturday I do the Hurricane Heat and Sunday I run my Spartan Sprint and complete both my trifecta and my race calendar for 2014.

Wooo!

RACE WEEKEND RECAP!

Alright, so going into this weekend I was a major ball of stress. Work has been absolutely killing me lately and even after I got back from my weekend in the woods over Turkey Day all I wanted to do was make it to Christmas. In general I was feeling really burned out and the fact that I was supposed to do a Hurricane Heat, play a soccer game, run a sprint, and work this weekend wasn't doing anything to calm my mind. Oh and did I mention that I haven't done laundry in like two weeks? Seriously we're down to the point where I might just buy new underwear so I don't have to deal with it. Anywayyyyy.

SATURDAY:

I was supposed to wake up at 3am so I could make the drive to Malibu and be at Spartan HQ for the HH start by 5:30am.

At 8pm the night before I decided that the HH sounded like the least pleasant thing to do, after coming home from an overwhelming week and being pretty sleep deprived. I needed some mellow alone time, not three hours of doing burpees in the dark. I hope to do a HH in the future, but frankly I also don't really feel the need to justify why I didn't put myself through it. I just didn't want to.

INSTEAD I went on a nice 7 mile run along the beach, had a nice coffee and some fruit for breakfast before heading off to soccer at 11am. I wasn't even slated to play this game so I assumed I'd be a sub and play maybe 45mins total. NOPE! No subs, no time outs, a full 90 mins of play time. Well, I certainly got a challenge that day even without the HH.

SUNDAY, RACE DAY!

Let me tell you, having a noon start time was relaxing. I had plenty of time to get some sleep, eat breakfast and make the hour drive (plus another 30min bus ride from the parking lot) to the race venue.

I also can honestly say that facing a Sprint race this late in the season after everything else I've done, I wasn't really scared, nor motivated. I knew I'd finish, and I knew that given how sore I was from yesterdays run and soccer game that it would not be fast. So I resolved to have fun and simply do as few burpees as possible.

The Malibu sprint was a pretty easy course overall, a good bit of up/down climbing. It was warm, but then again, it's always warm. Given how short the course is (just 3 miles I believe) it felt like they shoved most of the obstacles at the end, and a few staples that I was used to seeing didn't make an appearance (namely the traverse wall and the atlas carry).

I believe the course went something like this:

Gun goes off, a short downhill followed by an immediate uphill (I remember something similar and was not fooled and as a result didn't burn out on the first hill)

Up a hill, down a hill, through some trees, up some more hills.

First obstacle, was a sand bag lift. This was new, you had to pick up a sand bag, bring it over your head and touch the ground 10 times. Weird, easy, but done.

We then did some more hills, a sand bag carry, the Hercules hoist (that was actually quite heavy), a bear crawl more hills. One thing that this course had that was really unique and full was some really steep hills with a rope that you had to use to pull yourself up, this happened maybe 3-4 times on the course, fun times.

At this point we're about 2 miles in (seriously, the obstacles here were so sparse!) We come to a small series of small, and I mean SMALL walls, like 2-3ft tall, you could literally step over them. Up another hill to the pyramid cargo net. Then the Monkey Bars. After this it got interesting.

Down a hill, another bear crawl, more downhill and you hit the spear throw (or well, I didn't - 30 burpees), down another hill, another bear crawl and you hit the vertical cargo net (I really don't like this obstacle, it freaks me out) but team work and getting people to weigh down the net so you don't flip over the top really helps. Right after the net (like 10 ft away) was the 12ft wall. Another bottle neck but hey I was having fun and no pressure so I cheered some people on, waited and then did my thing.

Then a new obstacle, the parallel bars! About 20ft long you had to use your arms only to get across. I made it and was feeling good.

Then.

The BEST BARB WIRE CRAWL EVER! IT was so muddy and fun. Kinda rocky so my shins got a bit bashed, but generally great. We don't always get really muddy courses out west so this was fun. The barb wire crawl took you up a hill where you made a U-turn and then back down the hill to the inverted wall (my favorite obstacle) the slippery wall, rope climb (another 30 for me) and then the fire jump.

All told I was out there for about 1hr 20mins. It felt nice to get some exercise in without feeling like you really got crushed by the course. I met some Weeples  before/after the race but generally didn't stick around too long.

And then I had to go into work alone *womp womp*

December 100mile goal is currently at 20/100.

Here is a picture. Trifecta done.

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines