Diary of a Wimpy Kid - cont'd

This is my journal to detail all things concerning my fitness goals, progress, stats etc. I will try and keep it interesting with photos, videos, article links and some colour etc as well as workout logs to make it interesting to read.

The Big Goal:

• Get big by the time I am 24 (late July 2015)
  • Add strength

More precisely, that's 10 months with an average of 2lbs of bodyweight added per month, or 0.5lbs added per week, for a total of 20lbs increase.

I am going for a slow and conservative bulk. The last time I bulked, I lasted about 5 weeks before my self-control collapsed, I ate everything in sight, and I added too much fat for comfort. Honestly, a part of me enjoys the discipline and routine of cutting. I'd like to apply that mentality to bulking and get it dialled in.

How I am going to get there:

• Training

I love lifting. My workout routine is currently the 5/3/1 full body routine, pretty much exactly as it is put out in 'Beyond 5/3/1'.

My numbers have always been low, hence the title of the thread. I think half of it is to do with mobility and weak links and the other half is that I have not been eating enough to grow. The routine has enough volume to add size if I let it, although I may switch to a different 4-day split later.

I also do a lot of light bodyweight stuff (push ups, pull/ chin ups, squats) and stretching, which I see as essential to keeping sane and feeling great. In my head, this stuff helps with mobility, recovery, as well as some upper body hypertrophy.

• Diet

On my last cut, I lost 7lbs in 7 weeks when eating an average of 1850cals a day. Using loose maths, that puts my maintenance at ~2350cals, which I have been eating at for a week now and my weight and figure have been stable.

Today is the day I start 2600cals. I will keep to that for two weeks before I adjust anything.

• Daily minimum macros:

2600 Cals

Carbs 200g / Protein 160g / Fat 70g / Fibre 40g

I am going to allow myself 4 cut phases between now and July. These can last no longer than two weeks and will be used to trim off any excess fat that may accumulate. I am reserving one now for the Christmas season. That's when anything goes.

Where I am now:

• Male, 23, 5'10, Bodyweight 145.6lbs, Waistline 30.6"

I am going to track my bulk with bodyweight, waistline measurements and progress pics (to come).

I bought a new set of scales which have put me 4lbs lighter than the one I previously used at the gym. It will still be consistent with its inaccuracy and I'll be able to track at a consistent time each day which is the most important thing. 

• Training maxes:

Squat: 91kg

Bench: 66kg

Deadlift: 113kg

OHP: 49kg

My focus recently has been working on my squat form in particular (hence 3x a week), as well as developing weaker areas- glutes, back. These have been coming along nicely, but I don't really have a clear picture whether the big lifts have gone up.

Log (current)

Challenges: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Bulk begins

I weighed myself this morning just to get a sense of daily fluctuations. Came in at 147lbs (1.4lbs increase from yesterday). This may make tracking a weekly 0.5lbs increase a bit tricky but I'll just keep an eye on it.

Starting pics - Friday 26.9.14 ~147lbs

TtV0f2O.png

zK6OdeD.png

This is after a 7 week cut and then 3-4 weeks getting back to maintenance. I am pretty happy with myself, just got to add more.

Log (current)

Yesterday's workout:

5/3/1 Full Body 2.2 OHP + Deadlift

Squats

65kg 3

70kg 3

80kg 3/3

70kg 3

OHP

35kg 3

40kg 3

45kg 4

35kg 5/5/5

Deadlift

80kg 3

90kg 3

97.5kg 6 (mistake- I thought this was my final AMRAP set, then realised I hadn't loaded enough on the bar...)

102.5kg 4

Sets of chin ups throughout.

I went to a different gym for this and it was incredible. Strength-training focused, new equipment, empty, and all the weights properly put away and not tossed like laundry on the floor. It meant I could take my time and indulge in stuff like supersetting with chin ups without worrying that my spot at the squat rack would get taken.

The squats felt phenomenal, OHP not so much and the DL gave me some serious DOMS later on in the day. Good stuff.

Today: fun bodyweight cycle

5 sets Pyramid push ups/

Raised leg dips

5 sets Weighted chin ups/

15 Side bridges

With band pulls done here and there. Everything done to failure.

This weekend: walk, eat and drink. Perfect.

Log (current)

Today's workout

Squats cycle 2 week 3

Squats

67.5kg x 5

77.5kg x 3

85kg x 3/2/2

77.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 3

The inside of my hip joint has been hurting a lot over the last week so that was nagging at me all through these sets. The pain gets acute when I lower into the hole and in most hip movements generally. I had hoped it would heal over the weekend, but I guess not. I don't know whether stretching the area would heal it or aggravate it further.

Dips

Bw: 7/7//7/7/6/6/5/5 = 50 dips

DB Rows

15kg 5x 12

Log (current)

Great bodyweight movements I have been digging lately:

Single Leg Hip Thrust

single-leg-workout-secret-benefits-of-si

http://www.t-nation.com/training/bigger-better-glutes

I do this in the privacy of my own room, not at the gym, so haven't ever tried 'loading' it. Single leg for reps of 10 are still excellent.

Side Bridges

core_strength_side_bridge.gif

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Obliques/BWSideBridge.html

I used to suck at these, despite how wimpy they look. 

I think I stumbled across both of these on an incredible glutes exercise article, but they have been great for my whole core and lower back as well. I have started noticing better activation of my core from squats recently and would like to think these two exercises have contributed something towards that. I want to develop my lower back more since I can totally feel the benefits in my posture and everyday movements, and may try and incorporate more deadlifts into my programming.

Diet

Its only been 5 days since I started my conservative bulk. Over the weekend I visited my sister, so ate out a bit more and didn't do any workouts etc. Using loose tracking, I think I hit all my macros and went over a little on my total calories, but I am not going to sweat it.

The scales say I am 156.7lbs today, so not much of a fluctuation or even increase at all. I think, perversely, that the extra calories has given me more energy, which I have in turn used more. 

This time next week I am going on holiday to the USA, which will fuck up my diet, tracking and calories- but who cares? I am going to be walking a lot, have 2-4 gym sessions planned and I am going to enjoy whatever Chicago and Miami have to offer.

Log (current)

Two interesting phenomena:

1. The bulk hunger is growing

When I am on a cut, I hit my target calories and then my brain and stomach shut off for the day. When I bulk, I hit my surplus calorie target and am still ravenous for more. Wtf. Yesterday I had a huge hunger and cravings after dinner AND a snack, which was finally satiated by a tin of rice pudding with some cottage cheese, cashew butter and jam. Total calories for the day: 3200cals. That's 600 over which I am going to split out over the next two days.

2. The bench press is sucking

I have been working on tucking the elbows when lowering the bar and it has put the weight I can handle right off. I feel taxed a lot sooner than I used to, and it's not like I was shifting much to begin with. I don't know whether this is because I am now doing the exercise correctly, whether it is because I am doing it incorrectly, overthinking it, or if my upper body is just plain old fatigued.

Log (current)

Looked at your starting picture... good lord, you are starting from a perfect place composition wise.  You have like no fat on you.  I see very successful bulking in your future.

Yep. My body is p much the perfect storm. No big deal. B)

In other news, I have been trying desperately to getting my fat intake up so it's a minimum of 0.45g per lbs, which is a total of 70g a day. The bros on the bb forum swear this as a minimum for any diet. Good lord, forget protein requirements, this is HARD.

I have grown on up on a low fat diet (lean meats, LF Dairy, sauces not oils etc etc), and it's a real fight against my habits to fit it in. Relying a lot on eggs, nut spreads and fish atm, but I may have to get used to the idea of cooking with oil and eating fattier cuts of meat.

• Like 1

Log (current)

I have zero resources handy and can't specifically reference anything, but I'm pretty sure the minimum for adult males is only 40 grams, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.  But I could be pulling that out of the air here too.

I just find it peculiar looking between this forum and the BB forum.

Both sites have well sourced info and some helpful and experienced posters and are generally quite similar with their nutritional guidelines, but BB.com places a much stronger emphasis on hitting your fat macros before even looking at carbs.

It's not a huge issue and I am just experimenting with it. I have to get 160g protein / 70g fat each day on 2600cal, so there's plenty of room left in the 'budget' for carbs too.

Log (current)

Bulking guilty pleasure no.1:

5FLEjah.jpg

Can of rice pudding with banana and frozen blueberries. Added cinnamon and vanilla extract. It may not look pretty, but bachelors don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

Cals 479

Carbs 95g Protein 13g Fat 4g

Today I had extra cals, so I added peanut butter and apricot jam. I guess it's a pretty similar to oatmeal.

Log (current)

End of Cycle 2 Review

tE9V8II.png?1

Here is a table I made of the reps on my final AMRAP sets for 5/3/1. As you can see in the last two weeks, something odd has been going on with my upper body lifts. I have been struggling to make the reps on the final sets, which I was previously making no sweat as Joker sets on cycle 1.

I think the cause of this is either:

1. My upper body is just very tired.

To see if this is the case, I am going to give it a rest. Its deload week and I am going to take a few days off the push ups/ chins on days off just to let 'the guns' settle down.

2. or an adjustment of form has made the weight more difficult.

I am not going to increase the weights for these lifts next cycle. I may even change the programme from full body to more of an even split to get some more practice in at lower intensity.

Diet/ Nutrition

After 10 days of a moderate bulk at an average of 2650cals a day, I have gone from:

145.6lbs and Waist 30.6"

147.5lbs and Waist 30.25"

Which I am extremely happy with. If I were to take that at face value, I lost fat from the waist and gained 2lbs (ie muscle) at a near perfect rate. I don't believe that for a second and realise my body fluctuates on a daily basis, so an analysis of two points over a short period of time is pretty meaningless. You would also expect some water weight increase when you start to eat more on a regular basis. Nevertheless, its a good trend and starting point.

Log (current)

I am deloading, eating more and about to go on holiday. I am a ball of energy.

Saturday and today I went for a 30-40min run, with occasional sprints, just because I wanted to. It wasn't forced- I put on some earphones and went to the park.

Sunday was my first deload session this cycle, and to let my arms heal, I haven't done a single push-up or chin up in 4 days. Instead of these daily staples, I have been stretching and rolling with a focus on the hips and hamstrings. Combining this, with sprints and the heavy doses of squats I was doing each session on my last cycle, my legs feel so powerful right now.

This is killer:

So for my holiday, I am flying to Chicago this Wednesday and Miami the following Monday. After much deliberation, I am not going to pack the whey protein. I am bringing my resistance bands and will hit the gym a few times though, because I enjoy it.

When I get back, I want to go on the 3 month BBB challenge:

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge

Something to get my teeth into.

Log (current)

Second deload session today and they are actually quite sore. Deload is a concept I appreciate, but it's just so damn tempting to add a bit more/ do another set.

Workout today:

OHP

35kg 3x5

Deadlift

Pyramid of 6 reps at 60/70/80/70/60kg

Chin ups 5x6

Mountain rows (machine) 3x12

My legs were really sore from the run yesterday, so I didn't squat for the first time in forever. My left adductor was a bit painful, so it could do with a rest. I probably used too much weight on these movements but screw it.

I am really excited to try out the 5/3/1 BBB challenge when I get back from my vacation. It will be something to get my teeth into, get way more practice of the movements and couple with the winter bulk perfectly.

Log (current)

It's so tempting to do more on a deload week.  The weights are just so light and move so quickly.  I know I need to take a deload week after my current program but I know I will want to just keep up with the "heavy" weights

Greetings from Chicago.

I'll spare the world my holiday snaps and just check in with a quick update. Last few days have been mental.

I have a tracker that says I have walked 23 miles both today and yesterday and my feet are certainly feeling it. I have even managed to sneak in a few strength/hypertrophy workouts. On the first night, for some bizarre reason, I was the only person staying in my hostel room, so I did a bodyweight w/o in the morning and today, I went to a nearby barbell gym. The session was a bit structureless, but I got some squats, bench presses and rows in. Hopefully enough to get a training effect.

I have no idea what my calories are like. I must have burnt a stupid amount (4000 ball park), but travelling and American food certainly gives plenty back. I am at the mercy of breakfast buffets, craft beer and trader joes. I love trader joes so much. They have these protein drinks in cans that taste like heaven and have 35g of protein for 160cal. Is that even possible?

Edit: clearing up some bad typing due to the aforementioned craft beer.

Log (current)

I am back from holiday. No more nice weather, active lifestyle, frivolous spending or ridiculous feats of eating.

Welp, this sucks.

The hotel in Miami had a gym and a pool, so I got a decent strength and a cardio workout everyday. My diet nonetheless got ridiculous. Time to fire up the ol' MFP and without further ado...

Log (current)

Cut #1

It sucks to use up 1 of my 4 cuts so early since setting myself this goal, but I lost my self control completely on my holiday and I want to make it up.

I am going for as steep a deficit as possible to just get it over with and move on with the slow bulk. Tomorrow I will weigh in and measure the waist to see the damage, but I won't be dieting for more than 2 weeks. The timing sucks, because I have just started the 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge, but this is something I need to do and may as well do it while the weights are light.

5/3/1 BBB Challenge- Week 1 Squats

Squats

60kg - 5
72.5kg - 5
82.5kg - 8/5
60kg - 6

Technically not supposed to have an AMRAP set. The 82.5kg for 8 sucked, so I did another set which concentrated on my form. An extra set of 60kg in there because I was unloading the bar and it seemed like a good idea.

Deadlift
60kg 2x10
65kg 3x10

60kg felt tough, but only from an endurance perspective, so I thought I'd increase the weight and it felt the same. I'll stick with 65kg for the rest of the cycle.

Leg curl 3x10
Hip adductor machine 3x10

These took a few mins to do and were done to target muscle growth in those weak areas. Will drop these if I don't have time in the future.

Lying leg raises (superset with hip thrusts) 3x10

This was tough. Stretching my hamstrings fully is still in an issue which I need to look into. 

It's nice to get back to the same gym and be working on a program. I don't feel too tired from it. Bring on the bench press and cut tomorrow.

• Like 2

Log (current)

Bench workout went well. I had to improvise the 5x10 OHPs and turn them into one armed dumbbell presses due to lack of availability, but it seemed to work.

Today's workout is the one I have been dreading all week:

5/3/1 BBB Challenge- Week 1 Deadlift

Deadlift

80kg - 5

90kg - 5

100kg - 5 (it felt like I was putting too much strain on the back, so backed off doing an AMRAP set)

105kg - 1

Squats 50kg 5x10

These weren't quite as brutal as I thought they might be, but I took plenty of rest between sets. Got a nice little pump in the thighs, which is novel. Not looking forward to the next phases of the challenge.

Hip Abductor Machine 3x10

Leg Curl Machine 2x10

1 min Planks 5 sets (superset with side bridges

These sucked. I hate the waiting and holding, and would rather work on a movement instead. Will investigate an ab exercise alternative.

Day 3 of the crash cut, and it's going well but I still want it done with. I'm going to increase my intake a bit, because I don't think I can sustain this low a level for much longer:

Monday cals: 1310 (BP workout)

Tuesday cals: 1260 (rest day)

Wednesday cals: 1820 (large carb meal after the above workout, this was planned for)

• Like 1

Log (current)

Ab wheel.  Suitcase deadlifts. Hanging leg raises.

I need to do any of those myself lol

It sounds like a cop out, but there's no ab wheel at the gym, and my hamstrings are too short to perform hanging leg raises (which is why I did lying leg raises on my squat workout).

Suitcase deadlifts are possibility- can I do it with Dumbbells? what sort of rep/weight scheme am I looking for?

Log (current)

No ab wheel - put 5 or 10kg plates on a barbell and do roll outs.

Short hammies - hanging knee raises, knee to bar, toes to bar

Suitcase deads - I preferred the barbell but the length of the bar added a balancing/stabilizing aspect to it. Dumbbells seemed harder due to the weight being in a much more compact object. If you use DBs just put it on plates or blocks to bring it up a bit higher.

I working in the 95-115lb range to start. If you have the time 3 sets of 8 are probably good. But since it's one side at a time it's really 6 sets of 8 and fuck that takes awhile