Diary of a Wimpy Kid - cont'd

From what Waldo wrote, taking your waist measurement alone can be almost enough to give you a good idea of your bodyfat levels, especially if you tend to retain fat there first/lose there last. So like, if your weight stagnates, but your waist lost an inch, that's great. Just take it tomorrow after getting up and then once every week or so and you should get a good idea soon.

• Like 1

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

FkS5sSA.jpg

Welp, there it is as of last Sunday. Putting that average trendline was a smart move and helped me get some sense in all of the chaos. My weight has gone up on average 3lbs since I started 6 weeks ago, although it is not all as linear as that as can be seen by those giant fucking fluctuations. 

In the last two weeks, where I bumped up to 2850cals, I have actually gained about 2 lbs which is actually overshooting my target. I am still going to keep it at this level until the end of December as I think a lot of the gain is my body adjusting to the increase in calories/ carbs/ water and creatine. Also, its Christmas.

Thinking back on the smart things I have done on this bulk so far, I am really proud of a few things:

• I haven't fallen off the horse at any point- either by going overboard on food or abandoning the long term bulk plan
  • Breaking a life-time habit and introducing fats into my diet. I now hit at least 75g a day
  • Started taking fish oil tablets. I have noticed no benefit, but think of it as benefit in the long run. Like a pension.

I have also eaten some amazing food. Most of which I have prepared myself. Rediscovering rice pudding and custard is a definite boost to my quality of life. 

CHr7UvZ.jpg

Pancakes w custard, banana and summer berries.

• Like 1

Log (current)

Challenges: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Woah, it's been a while. I am typing on my iPad, so no fancy formatting for this post.

Holiday season has me far busier than usual, but I am still hitting the challenge 4x a week and gettings the cals in, although I have had to spread the workouts out here and there because of social engagements and trying to keep the MFP as even as possible. I have 5 sessions left of the BBB challenge and am all set to finish on the 22nd.

Cliff notes:

Squat cycle 3 week 2

The squats felt easy, and the 5x10 deadlifts @ 90kg felt a lot easier than last week. I need to be more careful when I drop the bar on the DLs, so that I don't damage my back.

Bench press cycle 3 week 2:

made all the reps on the bench and the 5x10 OHP, which I failed on week 1. That's great, but it may have been at the expense of proper form, not too sure. Still scorched my triceps like a mother, though. I also got some pointers on how to use the lat pull down, so I felt it through the back more. The back of my right side was real sore the next few days from dumbbell rows in a bad way.

Deadlift cycle 3 week 2:

I missed my top set of deadlifts of 3x 115kg which was a real shocker. I could only make 1 rep on the second attempt. It sucks, but I am not too beat up about it for a number of reasons:

- it's just one day

- I was working out early in the morning after a poor nights rest (I normally lift in the evenings)

- my back was still sore from the bench press session

So I was a bit thrown off after the deadlifts but guess what? I nailed the 5x10 squats @ 70kg. It took me half an hour to get through and I was in no position to do anything for the next 24hrs. That 50 squats at bodyweight in 5 sets and a great improvement from last week.

I have 3 review posts knocking in my head atm:

1. A review of the 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge or my attempt at it

2. A review of my first year of lifting

3. What I want to take on next. At the moment I think I'd like to focus more on postural corrections (a mild case of lordosis and kyphosis, which I would like to put to rest and which I think I think is holding me back on my lifts- ie hams, glutes and pulls).

Log (current)

Last week of the last cycle and its the final push. For whatever reason, this workout was especially brutal. Just 3 more to go.

Squats 3.3 Weds 17th Dec

Squats

80kg x5

90kg x 3

100kg x2

The second, unnecessary rep at 100kg was ugly, but otherwise everything was deep and tight and very impressive. It was kind of stupid to go for the second rep, but my aim since starting lifting a year ago was to be able to squat double plates for reps consistently, so i wanted to get a step closer.

Deadlifts 5 x10 @ 90kg

These were really fucking tough and harder than last week.I felt really light headed, bleary after the first set- very minor difficulty breathing and ringing in the ears, but I made it through it and don't. ever. have. to. do. them. again. 

Side raises 5x15

The last few days, I have been obsessed with posture and developing my back, glutes and hams. I have been clenching, tensing etc non-stop throughout the day as well as stretches in the morning. I am more sore and exhausted from this than any lifting programme I have been on. I think its why the above workout took it out of me, but I also think its what gave me that extra drive in the squats. Its all for the greater good.

Good resources:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_part_iv

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123812871

Weight has fluctuated as usual. I was a bit low earlier this week, then gained 4lbs overnight to 155lbs. Real helpful.

• Like 2

Log (current)

Great work dude!  Happy to see those squats coming along.  And its so awesome hitting an old 1RM goal for reps, even if it is a grinder.

Haha, I was almost pretty sure I blew a blood vessel in my eye last week after the 5th or 6th set of "heavy" squats.  Thankfully I didn't, but I know the pain.

2 more to go!!!!

Bench Press Cycle 3 Week 3

Bench

57.5kg x 5

62.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 3 - PR?

60kg x 3

You're not supposed to do AMRAP sets on the challenge, and I had asked someone to spot me on 1 rep @ 67.5kg, but I couldn't help but laugh halfway through at how easy the bar went up and managed two more pretty well. I think that's a PR, not sure- I may have done 1 rep at 70kg before, but I guess this tops it. Cool.

OHP 5 x 10 @ 37.5kg

These felt easier than last week. I took a long time between sets, because I really want a clean sheet this week, and to fail on set would just destroy it.

Reverse flyes 3x10 (lightest setting, just to get into the groove)

Seated Cable rows 5 x 10 (again, trying to get the feel of these)

Face pulls 4x10 (ditto)

Leg Curls 3x10 (not doing any legs until Sunday, so figured I could do with a bit of pump here too)

I have been at my posture non-stop these past few days. I ache all the time but also feel amazing. Things like supine bridges, stretching the quads and pulling the scapula in have made a noticeable difference in less than a week. The above pulling section of my workout had me trying out a few new exercises and I will probably go onto a programme that integrates them into my sessions. 

• Like 1

Log (current)

Nutrition update 20th December- 8 weeks into tracking

1fynVIv.png

Weight has fluctuated hugely this week- going from:

1. Thurs - 155.6lbs - the highest since records began, 8 weeks ago
  2. Fri - 155.2lbs
  3. Today - 148.8lbs - the lowest since week 1 (and second lowest ever)

But the overrall trend is looking good and waist measurements has been constant at 30.75". Christmas will be interesting when I go stay at my parents, I will play it by ear and see how I feel. I won't have access to the gym and it'll be coming up to 6 weeks of using creatine, so I will let it flush out of the system.There is a chance I'll want to shed a few lbs in the new year before getting back to the fun work of adding muscle.

Log (current)

I'm kind of surprised by how little you gained thus far, especially with and since the creatine. I guess as long as you're improving and getting stronger it really doesn't matter much, but if you're after that sense of success weight-wise, you might want to ramp up to 3k after all. Either way, jealous of your progress and your graphs, keep it up mate.

Thanks dude.

Its really tough to tell how much I have gained because of the ridiculous fluctuations, but I think I am on the finally on the right track. The goal has always been for the slow but steady bulk- which is about 0.5lbs total weight gain a week. This is based on Lyle Macdonald and the BB forum community (weeding out the idiots) who say the maximum muscle you can ever gain a week is 0.25lbs- so why overshoot? If you're under, its another week of bulking, if you go over, its a week of cutting. I know which one I'd rather do.

Looking at averages:

• I started 8 weeks ago at ~150lbs eating 2600cals
  • In the last 4 weeks: I started at ~151lbs, I have been eating 2850-2900cals and gained just shy of 2lbs

Breaking it down, it seems I have found my stride at 2900cals. Its enough to fuel weight/ muscle gains at the correct pace, but also strength gains in the gym, which has been a very rare thing for me indeed. I will have to give it a few more weeks to see if weight gain plateaus at all- it looks like it slowed this week (but I did eat out a few days and have to guess a few meals). In the meantime, I have no problem eating 2900cals. Snicker bars are great.

What I am pleased at it is my self control. Last time I bulked I wasn't nearly as strict with targets and it all went downhill very fast. The trick this time, has been to budget for a big bowl of oats/ rice pudding at the end of the day, which I can always adjust depending on total cals/macros I have left. I have taken my time with this, been just as strict as if it were a cut, and learnt more about my body because of it.

Log (current)

Sure, going by those numbers alone I'd say stay with it - I'm just worried that once you let the creatine flush out, it'll turn out that what you thought were your gains actually was just the water weight from the creatine. I guess now it doesn't really make sense to change anything anyway, just hoping that you're one of those not really predisposed to adding a lot of water weight with creatine and that you end up not losing any weight at all when stopping taking it.

What I am pleased at it is my self control. Last time I bulked I wasn't nearly as strict with targets and it all went downhill very fast. The trick this time, has been to budget for a big bowl of oats/ rice pudding at the end of the day, which I can always adjust depending on total cals/macros I have left. I have taken my time with this, been just as strict as if it were a cut, and learnt more about my body because of it.

That's hugely impressive and basically what my next step should look like some time next year. The budgeting trick for the end of the day sounds real smart, too.

1 more to go!!! I am home free.

Deadlift Cycle 3 Week 3

I have got through enough 5/3/1 cycles now, so that the week 3 1-rep sets are now equivalent or slightly above any all time PRs I may have managed earlier this year on 4 lifts. I don't doubt that in general my form is a lot better now.

Deadlift

95kg x 5

110kg x 3

122.5kg x 1 (PR!)

110kg x 1 (just cos I was unloading the bar and felt like it)

Hell yeah. 122.5kg probably didn't go up the way I would like it to, but it went up. I didn't dig my hips deep enough and get as much leg drive from the get-go, which meant more of the weight got put onto the lower back. Sticking point was approaching the knees. I am still pleased with it. 

Squats 5x10 @ 70kg

Clean sheet!!! Knowing that I managed it last week and felt better this time round was reassuring, but there was a lot of pressure to make sure I finished all the sets.

Unneccesary leg machine work:

Hip abductor 3x12

Leg Curls 2x12

I am sure Wendler would stare at me hard, then disqualify me because of this. But they felt like a tonic after the squats.

Side raises 5x15

These actually felt the easiest ever. Did some random ab/ cool down stretches in between sets

Really positive session. It dragged out, but I have now made it through the hardest sessions the BBB challenge template has to offer. Just one more to go tomorrow- OHP + Bench. I know I'll make it through the 5x10 sets, but the OHP might screw me over.

• Like 2

Log (current)

Dude you gotta visit Chicago again. Need a workout buddy who is banging out 50 reps of squats and deads!

Great job! Happy to see that you are finishing up strong!

Its been nearly a week since I completed the 5/3/1 BBB challenge, and I have some downtime from Christmas gatherings. I originally wanted to do a full write up of my experience of the challenge in homage to this reddit post which I found very informative, but I can't be arsed.

Progress:

• I made it through all the workouts and made encouraging gains in strength, most notably at higher rep ranges, but also on the incremental 5/3/1 sets that the main program is founded on. OHP finally budged by (a measly) 2.5kg/5lbs. I set a few 1RMs in the final week.
  • My bodyweight has gone up by 5-7lbs in 3 months. That's not much, but I spent the first month or so coming out of a cut, and trying to find the right bulking calorie/macro numbers that worked for me. 
  • 5x10 squats at 70% TM (75kg) was too much for me. This was reduced to 70kg (for reference, that is ~bodyweight) in the final month.
  • I only failed to make it on two 5x10 accessory lifts (OHP and Squats in week 1 of third phase), and missed a few max sets on OHP and DL in phase 3.

Where I deviated from the program:

• I took none of the supplements prescribed, or walked around my neighbourhood in a weighted vest. I did take creatine, fish oil and I walk 4-5 miles a day.
  • In the first phase, 50% felt too easy, so in preparation for the forthcoming increases, most 5x10 accessory lifts (excpets squats) were done at 55%. If I felt really good on my 5/3/1 final sets, I would have pusjhed past the prescribed rep amount. 
  • On upper body days I did additional 3x10 bicep curls, on lower body curls I used the abductor and leg curl machines. These exercises took no more than 4 mins after the meat of the workout, otherwise I would skip them. I think these were beneficial for adding size and that 'mind muscle connection' which was missing for recruiting my hams and glute in lifts.
  • I probably did not rest as much as I should have, and paid a lip service to the deload weeks for the first two phases. 

Pros of the Challenge:

• The first two phases are great opportunities to practice form on your lifts at a lighter load. This certainly gave me a chance to spot weaknesses and imbalances that could be addressed. If your deadlifts are off at this volume, it will show.
  • It showed and improved my conditioning/ endurance. I am pretty sure the time under tension from all those squats helped build a bigger and more table core.
  • I am extremely pleased with my squat increase. Managing 5x10 @70kg in the final phase will sit in mind as a major conquest and highlight of my lifting career in my first year. 

Cons of the Challenge:

• As is the nature of a 'challenge', I don't think I could sustain this program over a longer period of time. By the end, I was dreading each workout, aching and the sessions were taking too long. This is not what I want from a long term program, and which is probably why it is limited to 3 months.
  • Similarly, because you are challenging yourself to get the 50 reps in, you will inevitably compromise form on the movements as the fatigue sets in.
  • Too much pressing.  By the end, I was getting very conscious that weaknesses in my upper body lifts was probably due to an underdeveloped back and pulling capacity (getting stuck at the bottom of presses). Even doing rows, chins, and pulldowns, this 5/3/1 program is too press-heavy and is not balanced. Similarly, I was getting anxious to focus on more hamstring/ glute work after all those squats.
  • Maybe too much deadlifts. When fatigue sets in on those 5x10 sets of deadlifts, I think there is a danger that your CNS and back could take a beating. This does reinforce that you need be on top of your form, but still, 3 months of 60-75 deadlifts a week will take it out of you.

I am a bit of a loss on where to go from here. I am just coming from the deload week and have been completely wiped (although it being Christmas, this has obviously altered my normal quality and amount of food/sleep). Maybe a short 6 weeks focussing on postural/pulling developments before resuming any 5/3/1 template.

• Like 2

Log (current)

Holy shit dude, have you really been doing this challenge for 3 months? Great job sticking to it!

So did you see any noticeable size increases? Are you much more comfortable with your form on all 3 lifts?

Maybe 6 week bodybuilding split with an emphasis on the glutes, hammies, back and triceps?

Holy shit dude, have you really been doing this challenge for 3 months? Great job sticking to it!

So did you see any noticeable size increases? Are you much more comfortable with your form on all 3 lifts?

Maybe 6 week bodybuilding split with an emphasis on the glutes, hammies, back and triceps?

Size increase is all anecdotal, because like the fool I am, I did not take measurements or pics during the program/bulk. I will have to rectify that when I get back to my house. Pleased to report that the arms are definitely looking bigger- this is the first time I did some isolation work on the biceps. The core, back and thighs all seem a bit thicker too which is cool.

I think I am going to dip my feet back into the 6 week challenges. There a few things I want to address straight away before resuming the glorious slow bulk, which by all accounts I believe has been a success.

1. A slow cut to shed a few lbs of fat and get a bit leaner before adding mass.

2. Mobility and increased range of motion- particularly with a focus on the back, glutes, hips and hamstrings.

3. A lifting program with less volume, but same intensity.

I am letting all these things mull over in my mind before I can put forth a clear plan for what I want to do, but the general direction is there. Meanwhile, I am still chilling at my parents- not tracking anything, only bodyweight exercises and stretching - and just recuperating from a tough year.

• Like 1

Log (current)

So I completely failed to catch your challenge and just read up on everything. Dude, what's going on, where are you at now? Did you follow through with the cut for those last two weeks and how do you feel? Pictures?

Also, that article you linked was great affirmation. I'm determined to finally get (cut my way) out of purgatory for good and I'm in a very similar spot to you when you started your log, as I had just finished a 6-week cut and 2 1/2 week diet break when I got a cold and had to put things on hold for a minute.

The slow bulk is back on track, which is what this log is all about. I'll make a full 'post of intent' about it, probably when I hit a new page.

I've been pretty distant from the forum this year, mainly because I realised spending too much time 'thinking' about my fitness was just complicating things, and I'd end up shooting myself in the foot for what should be a long term project. But I'm all good now and miss you guys.

My cut went ok. All in all, I had about 10 weeks in a deficit of 1900/ 1750cals with a week break in between the two. I am unsure on how much weight I actually lost, but would guess around 5lbs. Weight loss stalled pretty quickly after the first few weeks of both stints. My body also looked pretty bad for the final two weeks- a serious pouch and loose skin round the abdomen which freaked me out.

I stopped the diet a few days short, not because of cravings or because of food, but because I have genuine desire to get bigger and train for full on motherfucking hypertrophy.

I am now into week two of the bulk, calories going up to 2900 tomorrow.

• Like 1

Log (current)