Time to Level Up

I've been a long-time reader of Nerd Fitness, usually finding myself reading the articles more often whenever I fall into a "I need to get healthy" kick. I turned 30 this year and I am, frankly, tired of being overweight and falling short of my maximum potential. I know there is so much more that I can achieve if I can build and maintain momentum, but if that were easy we wouldn't need somewhere like this, right?

So in brief, here is a bit about me. First the boring stuff: I work for a material handling company full-time during the day, entering orders into a computer. I also am obtaining my Master's Degree online, and should have that wrapped up next spring. This semester marks the start of my sixth straight year of working while taking classes, having gained the Associate's, Bachelor's, and soon the Master's Degree. My studies are in English, with a love for Medieval (read: Anglo-Saxon/Middle English) literature. So texts like Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and The Canterbury Tales fall into my interests, even though that wasn't a pursuit I was able to specialize in.

As far as fitness goes, I've fluctuated a lot over the years. I've hit good times where I was able to diet (bad word!) and do enough working out to lose some weight. Last year I learned that I love to do both Bodyweight exercises as well as Freeweights (Deadlifts were my favorite, somehow!) but I have completely fallen away from that and need to eventually return to my strength training ways. A few years ago I also trained to run a 5k, as that was on my bucket list. I spent two years running intermittently during the nice months (winters in Iowa aren't exactly opportune running months!) and struggled to break past the 3-4 mile range for my runs. This year I set a goal in May to run a half marathon this October and my training has been a success so far. Which is why, if you visit my challenge thread, my goals all pertain to running so that I maintain and keep this running momentum.

But eating habits have prevented me from seeing any sort of improvement physically, apart from the ability to run farther. That needs to change.

I have been a fan of fantasy and science fiction since early childhood, although I was late in my teen years before I discovered Tolkien. I still read a lot of books in those genres, and have written short stories and even finished a novel this year that I'm hoping to get published in the future. I am also a huge fan of board games, and play a range of games on my PS3. I have been blessed with a beautiful wife, and we both spend our Sunday and Wednesdays helping teach children at our church.

Oh, and I am also a huge fan of Firefly, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones (books and show), Lord of the Rings, Marvel, and many other nerdy things.

• Like 1

Mistborn - Level 1 Human

Class - Undecided

Current Challenge

STR: 1.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2 / CON: 0.9 / WIS: 2.6 / CHR: 0.6

Welcome!  You'll find kindred souls here...you'll fit right in.  I know what it's like to be forcibly reminded that I'm not living up to my potential - but the great thing is that we can be aware of it, get over the disappointment in ourselves, and then take massive action.  I admire you studying your passion and interest and can imagine you've come across Professor Tolkien's writing and lectures a few times in your studies as well as in reading fiction, am I right?

Good luck with your running activities and quest!