The Pyrit Ship: Captain's Log

So frustrated. I weigh the exact same today as I did March 5. I know I messed up a few weekends in march. House party, a different trip to Jax, etc. But seriously. All I want is one stupid lb below where I am now. I'm at the end of a "decade". one lb will tip me into a new 10 lb range. 

When I was doing weight watchers I felt like I was losing more. I think I dropped 25 lbs? Wish I had saved my  Numbers on that.  When I was this dedicated to my diet and working out and doing low carb years ago I was steadily losing 1lb/day! It was falling off. Now? NOTHING. I'm just angry at my body. I waaaay reduced my salt 2 weeks ago. The only things left to cut out are splenda 4 little packets over the course of a weekday in tea (I cut out cream and milk) and diet drinks 1 fresca a day average. I can't reduce my food anymore. 

Macro calculators online give me an estimated TDEE ranging between 1900 and 2500 daily. Over 3000 on work out days. I'm eating an average of 1500/day. Somedays as low as 1200-1300. There is no reason I should be stalled here. Just plain angry now. I dont want to go back to WW only b/c its more $. Low carb works! So why isnt it working for me now? Ugh. 

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

1 hour ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Macro calculators online give me an estimated TDEE ranging between 1900 and 2500 daily. Over 3000 on work out days. I'm eating an average of 1500/day. Somedays as low as 1200-1300. 

I honestly think this is your problem. 1200 kcal a day? When you are working out again?! I think you are putting your body in starvation mode. Didn't your trainer at the gym tell you to eat at least 1700 kcal per day? Don't starve yourself. I get that you want to eat low carb but you can't cut out all the nutrition that your body needs. And we bigger ladies and lads need more energy to keep us going. And even more so when we work out hard and push yourselves. Try to stick to the number your coach gave you for a while, a few weeks at least, and then see what happens. :) 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Adrianne said:

I honestly think this is your problem. 1200 kcal a day? When you are working out again?!

I've gone back and forth on this so much recently. Is it too much of a deficit? Not enough? I feel like, given my high bmi/bf % I should be able to handle a large deficit b/c my body has so much extra fat to burn that when the food runs out there is still so much fuel left. When I lost 50+lbs a few years ago, about 6 months into the diet and working out I was about 225lbs and eating 1200/day naturally just b/c it was low carb and that's where my hunger had me eating to satiety ( I started out around 1800-1600/day). Now struggling to get over this weird stopping point my body has found makes me terrified to eat more. Like, I'm not hungry much (in the morning and just before meals) and I'm hitting my protein macro (125g = 0.8g per 1lb of lean muscle). I've been trying IF since last week eating only between 12 noon to 8pm. Sometimes its hard to get all of what I need to eat in during that time b/c I'm not hungry after lunch for quite a while or post workouts.

Ugh. There's also so much conflicting info our there. I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. What's right? what's wrong? I know you can crash your metabolism by too little food but I don't feel like I'm there either. No major energy drops and loads of fuel on my body let alone what I eat. I'm not getting a lot of body feedback either b/c I just feel...fine. Not tired, not crazy energetic either. Averaging about 6 hours of sleep a night and sleeping well. All signs are just normal. No real aches or pains, a few leg cramps so I'm hunting for veggies with potassium that aren't bananas. Otherwise... its all just the exact same. : /

The last 3 days I've eaten 1462, 1687, 1446 kcal. which is 1531 average. If I increase, what to? 1700-1800?

Edit: OK, i'm going to try bumping up to 1700 and see what happens. I may have to take off IF and eat normal hours to get it all in. I've gotten used to the 1500 level/timing and I'll have to add in more to hit that number. 

I also just splurged and bought a new fitbit to replace the one i broke last week. I hate being without it.

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

7 hours ago, Adrianne said:

I honestly think this is your problem. 1200 kcal a day? When you are working out again?! I think you are putting your body in starvation mode.

7 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Edit: OK, i'm going to try bumping up to 1700 and see what happens. I may have to take off IF and eat normal hours to get it all in. I've gotten used to the 1500 level/timing and I'll have to add in more to hit that number. 

I agree with both of these.  I was thinking the same thing as Adrianne.  The shitty thing about our bodies is that they tend to get used to a certain amount of intake, so if we go too far below that, regardless of how much other fuel it has, it'll go "I'm starving! Time to hibernate!".   Which is stupid, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

9 hours ago, Oramac said:

I agree with both of these.  I was thinking the same thing as Adrianne.  The shitty thing about our bodies is that they tend to get used to a certain amount of intake, so if we go too far below that, regardless of how much other fuel it has, it'll go "I'm starving! Time to hibernate!".   Which is stupid, but it is what it is.  

We are so damned conditioned to thinking that eating less will make us lose more it's scary. I'm the exact same way. It takes some serious willpower to NOT starve myself when I see a hippo in the mirror. The interesting thing is that we tend to cut out calories when trying to wake our body up, why do we never add more? I mean...it's just as big of a wakeup call for us as cutting. A friend of mine was always super strict with her intake, was almost never over 1000 kcal per day and working out....HARD! But she never lost weight. Almost instantly when she started eating more she lost weight. Magic I tell you! But it is also important to note that she didn't just go and shove a candybar in her face extra per day but she had normal good food. And it was a challenge. But it worked. :) 

So hang in there Gypsy! I'm rooting for you. ^^ 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Oramac said:

I agree with both of these.  I was thinking the same thing as Adrianne.  

Lol it's nice having diet coaches around the world and across the country. Sometimes the modern world is a mess and sometimes its a great era to be alive!

Tthanks for the feedback. We'll see what happens...

4 hours ago, Adrianne said:

Almost instantly when she started eating more she lost weight. Magic I tell you! But it is also important to note that she didn't just go and shove a candybar in her face extra per day but she had normal good food. 

So hang in there Gypsy! I'm rooting for you. ^^ 

It helps to hear this!! ^^  It really is getting out of the mindset of "Well, if 500 kcal deficit is good a 1500kcal def. must be better!"

I got up to 1700 yesterday. Laaaarge breakfast for dinner but I don't think i'll have the same issue now if I stop IF for a while and go to normal eating hours. Spread the calories over the day. And, Adrianne as you say, not upping calories with a candy bar :P, but more toppings on salad or a bit more meat, some extra cheese (yeah, cheese!) haha. 

Skipped the gym yesterday b/c it went from 90 and humid on Wednesday to 73, sunny and windy and perfect yesterday so I got a mile or two in on the beach at sunset. Couldn't resist. Back to the gym after work tonight. Maybe it'll be quiet and I can go outside again without it being packed. That was so nice. 

Anyway, happy friday to all! I think I have to come into work tomorrow... :( 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

FINALLY BROKE THROUGH!!!!!! One lb down on to a new "decade"!!!

oh sweet sigh of relief. And I worked out last night. Last week I averaged 1310kcal/ day. This week will be about 1550-1600kcall depending on my eating today. I only bumped it up the last two days so I'll see how it goes from here. 

I got to the gym on a Friday night. Who am I becoming??? However I didn't get to go to the location near work with the nice outdoor courtyard bc a big 50 acre brush fire started less than a mile from my office around 3pm and the smoke and wind shut down 2 major roads and I didn't know how I'd get home if I stayed. So I went to the one by my house instead. Smaller but had what i needed. 

Workout:

Warm up: rowing machine (new PR! 1317m in 8 min.! And honestly I could have kept going but I was ready to swing some kbs. Last time was 800m in 5 min and I wanted to die.)

15x3 kb swings 15lbs

15x3 kb deadlifts 15lbs

10x3 TRX BW rows

15x3 TRX BW squats 

10x2 smashballs 12lbs

15x3 handle ball core twists 10lbs

15x3 handle ball opposite knee to overhead press 10lbs

20+ extra squats? I forget.  

Today i I can feel it but I'm not like hobbling around, sore when I blink my eyes. That's a new feeling for me. And I know I got a good work out in yesterday. Upped weight and/or reps in most of my sets, broke a sweat "felt burn". 

So yeah. Off to a good start this weekend :)

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Down 2 lbs this weekend then back up 1 lb this morning.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Still, down 1lb net and broke through the old low. I was so focused on upping calories my carbs crept up and my protein was all over the place: above goal, below goal, everywhere but on goal. The calorie thing is a real balance though. I'm eating when not really hungry now to hit kcals and protein grams. I may adjust to up the higher protein meats: chicken and turkey breast over thigh? Also still need to work on cooking fish at home. Other than tuna and shrimp salad and swordfish nuggets I'm not so great at it. Must teach myself soon. I love fish, just love it when someone else makes it, lol.

So back to tweaking diet slightly and making sure I hit all points: 1600-1700 kcal, 125 g protein, net carbs 20g.

IDK on working out this week. We have Friday off (yay!) but also end of month will be INSANE so I'll be working late every night probably to make up time and make sure my stuff is done on time. No gym today, maybe tomorrow or later this week. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

9 minutes ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Also still need to work on cooking fish at home. Other than tuna and shrimp salad and swordfish nuggets I'm not so great at it. Must teach myself soon. I love fish, just love it when someone else makes it, lol.

Fetacovered salmon! So yummy! Take 1/2 cup of fullfat greek yoghurt, 200 g of feta cheese, mush these together in a bowl, add some black pepper and a little salt, spread out on top of salmon filets and into the oven they go for about 20-30 min 390 Fahrenheit and enjoy with brown rice and steamed veggies! YUM! I'll be making it tonight. And it also freezes really nice :) Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Adrianne said:

Fetacovered salmon! ...

This sounds soooo good! I always forget about salmon. I can bake that and it usually comes out well. When I go grocery shopping again next week I'm going to get the stuff to try this! Feta is my jam. When I come to Scandi Land this fall I'm going to eat ALL the fish. :P 

My go to is salmon, shrimp, and asparagus with butter, lemon, and a dash of seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic usually) all on one pan, baked first asparagus, then add salmon, then add shrimp. Pinterest recipe.

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Eeep! Back down 0.8lbs this morning! I felt so full of food all day I worried it'd go back up. Back on to the 1 lb see-saw again it seems... Who knows where it'll land next.

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Down a tiny .0.2lbs today to my current low. Trending in the right direction. Down 1lb after up 1lb this week so net 0 movement since Sunday which was my newest low, BUT down 1lb net from last week's low so, down 1 week over week which is right on track for 1-2lbs/week. Also down 2 lbs from the stupid stall I hit through the ENTIRE month of March/early April so very slow but progress is being made.

Oramac and Adrianne: you were right, I was wrong, and I see things differently now. Thanks for the recommendation to bump up calories. Still haven't hit the consistency I'd like. I bounce between 1500-1750/day the last week or so but it seems to have helped me dump some more water weight and get the slow steady losses started again. Cheers!

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

I'm tellin ya.  Toss that damn scale out the friggin window!  That's some micro managing you got going on there.  How do you feel?  Are your pants fitting looser?  Measurements doing better?  There's so many ways to track progress other than the scale.  

That being said: 

Image result for slow progress is still progress

Also, if you want you can add an @ before people's names to tag them.  @Sometimes_gypsy

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

@Oramac I feel decent. Clothes are loosening up a little but not down a full size yet. I also measure waist and hips. But after the initial 1" drop on both a month ago nothing yet. I can see changes in, of all things, my hands. It's like I've lost 23lbs from just my hands lol. Stoopid body. And I feel that my forearms are a bit smaller based on some old long sleeve shirts. I tried measuring other body parts back in January but I can't seem to replicate those now quite right at the same places bc either I get no change or actually bigger numbers which makes no sense since things *are* slightly shrinking. So I go by hips and waist for simplicity. I check when I weigh but just holding steady for now. :/ it's better than gaining tho.  I keep trying to tell myself this. 

Next week when I get back to the gym regularly I hope it helps things underneath my fluffy layer start tightening up a little. Looking to make some more sick gainz, brah!  Hahahahahahaha I crack myself up...

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Woo! Small whoosh overnight down 1.6lbs for a total of 25 from highest to lowest! That puts me 16.5 lbs from my first mini goal and 40% complete for my second goal of -60 lbs set for September 28 (depart for Europe) at the slow rate I've been going with stops and starts I think the 60lbs goal is big and a bit aggressive but it works out to 1.5 lbs/week between now and when I leave in 24-ish weeks. Only way to do it is to try so as Churchill says: keep buggering on! 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Weekend: fun but drinking and food sooo...I haven't weighed. Also planter faceiitis (sp?) is back  in right heel so I'm not in the gym yet. I'm thinking one more day (today) off and then I *have* to force myself to go. I know I'm puffed up w/ water right now so I'm just trying to ignore the scale till next week and get back to it. I will say I was 100% back on track w/ proper eating yesterday which is good b/c sometimes I struggle with that. So, the 80%  that really drives weight loss (nutrition) is back to work. Now all I have to do is keep at it and wait....

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

10 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

so I'm just trying to ignore the scale

YAY!

till next week

Aww. :( 

So, the 80%  that really drives weight loss (nutrition) is back to work. Now all I have to do is keep at it and wait....

Truth!  You got this shit! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Got back on the scale today. And I'm still up 2lbs over my last low but I feel ok about it. Measurements haven't gone up and I've done pretty good eating this week. Energy is getting a little better despite work stress so that's good. Also I'm wearing a favorite shirt today that I haven't worn since 2015. That makes for a good day. 

But no time to chat. back to work insanity again...two more days and then I'm going to the damn beach on Sunday rain or shine. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

So today I got back down to my lowest low. Took me 8 days not the 7 I hoped for. Not bad though! Even better though, as of this morning I'm down another 3/4ths an inch off my hips (total 2.75 down!) and 1/4 off my waist (1.25 down). I think I'm an inch down on my bust (~2-2.5 down) but that's always hard to measure the softer bits... :P 

So yeah, i think the "squishy fat" idea is true for me in that when you're losing weight your old fat spots get extra squishy when the fat is gone but cells fill w/ water for a bit, becoming squishy, then slowly your body releases water and you finally see the inches off. Why scale AND tape measurements can come in waves or go weird. Its working you're just not seeing it right away. Which does not help my data obsessed brain. I want linear results, dang it!

Anyway, packed my gym bag so even if I stay super late at work I'm going to the damn gym. Not sure how much I'll do. I'm gonna push myself on the rower and take it from there. May do all cardio, may do cardio/lifting. gonna wing it.

Also, Monday can suck it. Peace. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Its working you're just not seeing it right away

Yes!  It definitely does suck, but at least you know it's happening.  

I'm going to the damn gym

Way to be!

11 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Also, Monday can suck it

Preach.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Thanks @Oramac ! 

Gym was a bit lighter than before. I defo lost some gains I had made but..o well. Back at it. 

5 min rowing = 891m

10, 8x2 rows on TRX <---so much harder :(

12x3 kb deadlifts 15lbs

15x3 kb swings 15 lbs

"lots" (<--official #) throwing small weighted med ball at angled trampoline? Used it to do core twists. Really fun!

12x3 squats on TRX

~10x 3 side squats on TRX; I lost count. these felt weird but good. 

12x3 smashballs 10 lbs

Took about 40 min start to finish. Worked up a sweat and can feel it a little today. Back on Wednesday. Otherwise kept food at just under 1700 and carbs under 20g. No change on scale but confirmed measuring tape is down 3 in on hips 1.25 on waist. Need to up my water a little. Esp. after work at home. I always slack off then. 

Started a new 1 on 1 challenge w/ @adrianne !  10kg (22 lbs) by June 24. We're off to the races now...

• Like 3

Sometimes_gypsy