The Pyrit Ship: Captain's Log

On 3/17/2017 at 8:43 AM, Oramac said:

If you want to be a Pirate and steal ships, tell him that!  (or, maybe not that. :P

I will always want to steal ships...

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

2 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Ok so met with trainer. Mixed review.

Snip

Sucks he ignored the weight training thing. :(  Good on you for sticking with it though and giving his ideas a proper shake.  I'm sure they're not bad ideas, even if they're not the ones you really want.  Sounds like you have a solid plan!!  I'm excited for you! 

I will always want to steal ships...

Can I help?! :P;) 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Wrote a whole post last night and the damn thing didn't go up and I lost it. (*&^%%^*&

So for a repeat. Did my first "real" work out last night and I was a disgusting, sweaty, sore mess. So i must have done it right!

18 min cardio between elliptical (majority) and rowing (5 min, 700 meters) <--My aim is to work up to at least 10 min on the rower and see how far i can get the meters in that time.

30 minutes of circuits (except i didn't go in a circuit, whatever) 

10x3 2 arm kettlebell swings 10lbs

10x3 kettle bell squat then pull up to chest (wtf are these called?) I need a list of kb exercise names with pictures [Edit: according to the interwebz its a kb deadlift then i pull up to my chest from there! then reverse back down for 1 count]

10x3 smashballs 10lbs

10x3 handle ball torso twists 14lbs

10x3 handle ball left knee to overhead right 14lbs

10x3 handle ball right knee to overhead left

15x3 BW squats w/ TRX

10x3 BW chest rows (?) w/ TRX

stretching

It took 30 min with about 30 second breaks between sets. I didnt time breaks but I didnt let myself catch my breath all the way. 

Sore AF today but not as much as expected. Did NOT fall up or down the stairs at work yet. = success. However, I can feel my hamstrings just sitting here. Scale has not budged. Am mad at scale. Eating has been on point all week and within macros. WTF, body. Catch up with my program!!

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

Wrote a whole post last night and the damn thing didn't go up and I lost it. (*&^%%^*&

Damn intarwebz!!

Did my first "real" work out last night and I was a disgusting, sweaty, sore mess. So i must have done it right!

WOOT!!  Indeed!  That is a good sign you did well. 

10x3 kettle bell squat then pull up to chest (wtf are these called?) I need a list of kb exercise names with pictures [Edit: according to the interwebz its a kb deadlift then i pull up to my chest from there! then reverse back down for 1 count]

Yea that sounds like a KB deadlift.  For squats, look up the Goblet Squat.  Real goblet optional. :P  (a lot of videos show a dumbbell, but you can do it with a KB just as easy)

It took 30 min with about 30 second breaks between sets

o_O   I'd say that counts as a HIIT workout!!  Damn girl.  Good shit.  Just keep in mind that as the weight on the bar (or KB in this case) goes up, so too will the rest time need to go up.  

Scale has not budged. Am mad at scale. Eating has been on point all week and within macros. WTF, body. Catch up with my program!!

Fuck the scale.  It lies.  The body is a weird thing.  I know it's damn hard to remember, but try to pay more attention to how you feel and the fact you're improving than the number on the scale.  If you want to track numbers, track the numbers on the KB, or the total volume of weight moved, or something.  For example, if my math is right, just your KB/Handle ball work above moved 2,160 pounds in 30 minutes. 

You're doing great!!  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

2 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Fuck the scale.  It lies.  The body is a weird thing.

This ^^ All. Damn. Day. 

just your KB/Handle ball work above moved 2,160 pounds in 30 minutes. 

haha what?? I didn't even think of it like that. That's kind of awesome...

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

19 minutes ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

This ^^ All. Damn. Day. 

haha what?? I didn't even think of it like that. That's kind of awesome...

Damn right.  Fuck the scale. 

And yes!!  It is quite awesome.  And it gives you a much more fun number to track too. :) 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

18 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

So for a repeat. Did my first "real" work out last night and I was a disgusting, sweaty, sore mess. So i must have done it right!

18 min cardio between elliptical (majority) and rowing (5 min, 700 meters) <--My aim is to work up to at least 10 min on the rower and see how far i can get the meters in that time.

30 minutes of circuits (except i didn't go in a circuit, whatever) 

10x3 2 arm kettlebell swings 10lbs

10x3 smashballs 10lbs

10x3 handle ball torso twists 14lbs

10x3 handle ball left knee to overhead right 14lbs

10x3 handle ball right knee to overhead left

15x3 BW squats w/ TRX

10x3 BW chest rows (?) w/ TRX

stretching

It took 30 min with about 30 second breaks between sets. I didnt time breaks but I didnt let myself catch my breath all the way. 

Sore AF today but not as much as expected. Did NOT fall up or down the stairs at work yet. = success. However, I can feel my hamstrings just sitting here. Scale has not budged. Am mad at scale. Eating has been on point all week and within macros. WTF, body. Catch up with my program!!

Like...DUUUUDE! Amazing work! THIS is the kind of shit that will get you where you want to go! I'm so proud of you! *all giddy* And I'm also impressed with how you posted this, might steal the concept for my own little thread if that's ok. ;)

The fact that you are sore but not dead is a good thing. Personally I find that when I'm mildy uncomfortable (read: having a hard time getting up from the toilet or any other chair) but not feel like crying every time I move then I've hit the sweet spot of my workouts. It gives me time to enjoy the burn but also makes me craving more. Yeah, I might be a wierdo but it works for me. For me it is counterproductive to go balls to the wall and then not be able to move for like 4 days. Beats the purpouse I feel. 

I also really like to, just as you, divide my cardio between machines. And then I just adjust the kind of cardio to how I'm feeling that day. Like if I'm having a super good day and I feel strong I might go 10 min rowing, 10 min skierg and 10 min eliptical. But if I feel like a slug stuck in a tarpit I might do 10 min eliptical and 20 min bike. It all depends. 

Oooh I can't WAIT for you to feel the rush when you need to go up in weights! :D It's the best feeling ever. And belive me, even if the scale doesn't give AF you'll still know you've made progress when you realise you've gone from 10 lbs kettlebell to like 30 lbs. You got this girl. ;)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Adrianne said:

might steal the concept for my own little thread if that's ok. ;)

Of course! its hardly proprietary :) I love a good list.

5 hours ago, Adrianne said:

Like...DUUUUDE! Amazing work! THIS is the kind of shit that will get you where you want to go! I'm so proud of you! 

The fact that you are sore but not dead is a good thing. Personally I find that when I'm mildy uncomfortable

Thank you!! It was that sore, hard to stand up occasionally if I sat still too long but also not the insane pain when I've over done it. I'm a little looser today after doing just cardio yesterday but still sore. My poor hammies. They are not pleased. They'll have to get over it.

Thanks for the cheerleading! It always nice to have a fan section, no matter how far away :)

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Yesterday was 25 min of cardio on elliptical 13 min + 5 min rowing machine. I couldn't go longer (did 5 min last time) but I upped the resistance a notch (now that I know how to, lol) and went 800m in the same time it took to do 700m yesterday. Baby steps.

I was gross and sweaty but glad I got it in and didn't even get home too late which was nice. Just late enough to miss most of the rush hour. 

Hit my macros, came way in under calories just under 1300 but I couldn't eat anymore. I nailed the protein and carbs and was about 30 g under my max fat limit. So juuuust right.

Been pounding water like mad the last three days or so and this morning....tiny water woosh! 1lb down on the scale FINALLY and about a 1/2 in. (I think, i'm always afraid i'm doing it wrong when it goes down) on my hips/belly area. Woo hoo!

Now, this weekend is basically a weekend long house party at my bff's for her baby shower with all her in-laws who are amazing, crazy Colombians and Ecuadorans. Which means arepas, tequila, and dancing all the time till all hours. So I'm trying not to get too attached to that one lb down b/c it'll probably come back by Monday. But I'm going to stick to my macros as much as humanly possible, limit the heavy drinking to Saturday night and try try try to keep as close to the diet as possible. BFF and I have plans to go to the gym Saturday morning, but she's 6 mos preggo and has a house full of people so we'll see if it actually happens. Might just go for a walk if all else fails.

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Waaaaay too much tequila saturday means, regardless of how many gallons of water I drink, still holding 2-3 new lbs of water weight. I knew it was coming. Still annoying. Back on track as of dinner yesterday and meal planned and prepped today. Hoping to let go of the ww by friday. 

Today afterwork will be a warm up and then the HIIT (or in my case maybe MIIT) workout I posted a few days ago. Then home to make bbq meatballs. B/c why not.

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Including my rests between sets: +30 min hiit and 7 min elliptical warm up. 

10x2 and 15x1 kettlebell 2 arm swings 10lbs

10x3 kb deadlifts

10x3 smash balls 10lbs  

15x3 10lb handle ball opposite corners left

15x3 10lb handle ball opposite corners right

15x3 10lb core twists

12x3 TRX body weight squats

Stretching

I have mixed feelings today. When I was starting I was swating and puffing away and I felt like my arms were almost maxed doing the opposite corner things and the twists really wired my core. I realized I accidentally decreased my squats but I also felt my quads dying while I did the last ones. I forgot to do my chest rows and by the end I felt so self conscious I couldn't focus and practically ran away. I think I rested too long between sets. :( I'm not sure I've gotten a great round in today but then after I got out of the car my legs are wobbly and my arms are sore so...idk. I just don't feel like death now so I think I did it wrong. I'm annoyed at myself. Try to work in some 30min cardio tomorrow and then try hiit again wed. Or Thursday.  

Also im still puffy af. So much damn water retention. I'm not drinking till at least Easter weekend. ~18 days. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

14 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

I just don't feel like death now so I think I did it wrong.

Doing it right doesn't mean you have to feel like death.  From what you've said, I'd say you did it all exactly right.  Feeling like death at the end of a workout isn't necessarily a good thing.  Wobbly-but-functional is perfect.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

On 3/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, Oramac said:

Doing it right doesn't mean you have to feel like death.  ... Wobbly-but-functional is perfect.  

I'll try to remember this ^^

Out sick yesterday. Ate ok, since I wasn't up for much except the honey I put in my tea. Way over on carbs but it helped my throat so, worth it. 

I really started thinking about my progress and lack there of and I think I'm accidentally cheating too much. Last weekend was the shower, the weekend before that I fell off on a Sunday I think, the weekend before that was Jax again where I was at the mercy of my friend's kitchen, so I keep sabotaging myself *just* enough to stop losses and hold on to water. When I was dropping steady I was eating my prepped meals and watching it on weekends. I have the next two weekends to myself and other than Tuesday night (giving in and getting publix chicken tenders calorie bomb)  and honey yesterday I'm doing ok-ish. I just need to get some momentum going again and I'm on track to start it today, even if I won't see the progress for a week or so. Everyone keeps telling me to trust the process. And I do, but I have no concept of patience and allowing it to work so, there's a Non-Scale goal: give it time/don't be crazy. Maybe this time next week I'll be down 1-2 lbs. 

Also may try the IF again to help get in a rhythm: 8/16, the 8 being noon - 8pm which is pretty normal for me. Testing it today/this week to see how it goes on a trial. 

Also, everyone take your zinc, take vit. C, wash your hands, don't lick doorknobs. Colds suck. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Aaaaaand now I said I'd try IF with nothing till noon, I'm starving. B/c of course. :rolleyes:

Sometimes_gypsy

Everything hurts and I'm dying. Cold moved into throat. Praying it doesn't hit my lungs. No gym today. But still on track eating. For some stupid reason my weight is still up 4 lbs from my low but now my measurements are back at the most recent low. WTF. I give up. At this rate one day the scale will say 450lbs and I'll wear a size 6. B/c why not? Physics? Who needs those? Not my body....it does what it wants. 

IF'd yesterday was quite hungry half the morning but fine the rest of the day. Hungry again now but not in an "eat the coworkers" kind of way. Time for more tea. Tea so hot is burns out this gd infection. >:(

Also cats make terrible nurses. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

22 hours ago, Oramac said:

Do you know a lot of people who do this?  o_O  

Don't kinkshame people...:lol:

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

1 hour ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Everything hurts and I'm dying. Cold moved into throat. Praying it doesn't hit my lungs. No gym today. But still on track eating. For some stupid reason my weight is still up 4 lbs from my low but now my measurements are back at the most recent low. WTF. I give up. At this rate one day the scale will say 450lbs and I'll wear a size 6. B/c why not? Physics? Who needs those? Not my body....it does what it wants. 

Muscle is more dense than fat, but weighs almost the same.  So you're most likely gaining muscle and losing fat, which would account for the smaller measurements and relatively unchanged weight.  

There's a reason we (NerdFitness) tell people the scale is a lying bastard. :D 

1 hour ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

Don't kinkshame people...:lol:

I would never!!  You know that!  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Some how I actually managed to go out this weekend, eat out dinner Saturday (and have *several* beers) and lunch Sunday and get the last bit of water weight off! Thank ya Jeezus it's a miracle! I found decently low carb foods (seafood ftw!) but I also had treats (fried green tomatoes and conch fritters, god I love being in Florida again)

I'm back to my lows and ready to start real losses again. Measuring/counting everything I eat def. helps. Plus hydrating. I haven't been to the gym since last Monday due to gross cold. I plan to go back tomorrow if this sunburn calms down, which it should. I can *almost* breathe normally again. Hooray! Also, was on the beach all weekend. Gone from super translucent pale to slightly less pale. Almost beige. Yaaay! 

I finally have a rhythm with the meals, meal prep, and not giving in to temptation unless its worth it (ie: order the shrimp salad so I can also eat conch fritters, or getting fish and veg so I can also have good local beers). I really really really want to keep it up and see how long I can make it go. 

Finally, I got 2 compliments from random people on the beach about my bathing suit. One from a woman about my size who desperately wanted to know where I bought it, and, shock of all shocks, from another women quite slim and fit who also wanted to know where I got and like it. I am the *last* person alive to model swim wear, especially my suit as I bought it for a last minute vaca last summer and its got see-through panels down both sides. Saucier than I'd have normally chosen but I like it. Like it even more now, lol. 

So all in all, good weekend.

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

8 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

I really really really want to keep it up and see how long I can make it go. 

Finally, I got 2 compliments from random people on the beach about my bathing suit. One from a woman about my size who desperately wanted to know where I bought it, and, shock of all shocks, from another women quite slim and fit who also wanted to know where I got and like it. I am the *last* person alive to model swim wear, especially my suit as I bought it for a last minute vaca last summer and its got see-through panels down both sides. Saucier than I'd have normally chosen but I like it. Like it even more now, lol. 

So all in all, good weekend.

Awesome, awesome, and awesome!!  

That's freaking great about getting the compliments too!  I'm sure they're well deserved.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bacon crumbled on top of a maple iced donut is totes low carb. I'm sure of it. I'm also sure its delicious as i had one this morning and I'm not freaking out about it (much). I have my gym bag in the car and am getting back to the kettlebells on lunch today. Messes up my macros a bit but I'll still be under 60 g of carbs at day end which is still better than a normal diet and my calories are still at a slight TDEE deficit. And tomorrow I'll knock it all back down to 20g carbs or less and hit my macros and regular calorie deficit levels. 

This is as much pep talk as journal posting. 

Gym routine will be elliptical warm up, circuits w/ kettlebells and body weight stuff, then maybe 5+ min on the rowing machine. Depending on if my arms are jelly or not. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Woo! I got the wobbles & shakes! I'm actually really proud of my workout today. I pushed myself. 8 days off the gym and I moved more weight today than ever before. (the whole 2 weeks I've been working out that is.)

8 minute elliptical warm up

15x3 10lb KB swings = 450lbs

12x3 10lb KB deadlifts = 360lbs

15x3 10lb coreball twists = 450lbs

15x3 10lb coreball knee/opposite overhead press Left = 450lbs

15x3 10lb coreball knee/opposite overhead press Right = 450lbs

12x3 10lb smashball = 360lbs*** 

15x3 + 5 BW squats on TRX = Lots of Lbs

10x2 + 8 BW rows on TRX (to failure) = Lots more lbs

about 45 minutes total. I got to do most of it outside since the gym has a cool walled in astro turf area. Nice breezy (getting humid) day. I worked up a good sweat, got to the point of real work in the muscles, near failure on some of them. 

***Totals about 2,880 lbs moved!! That's such a cool idea. I pushed around 1.44 tons! (very small distances. Basically I moved 1.44 tons about 5 feet to one side. But still!  Neat)

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

5 hours ago, Sometimes_gypsy said:

I got to do most of it outside since the gym has a cool walled in astro turf area. Nice breezy (getting humid) day.

Holy crap!  I am so damn jealous of this!  I so wish I could workout outside.  

Looks like a good workout!  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

12 hours ago, Oramac said:

Looks like a good workout!  

It was! Today is rest day, thank god, bc my lower back, latissimus dorsi probably, core, and triceps are feeling it like ow. a bit of a twing in the quads but faint, a bit more in biceps. So seems to have had an effect. 

up 1/2 lb today. No major. Probably part water weight from the work out after a week and a day off. Plus a heavier calorie day at 1600 and 60g carbs. Meh. Trying not to stress over my low/no progress route since I can't seem to drop below my most recent low number and 20 lbs down. Annoying.... Back to larger calorie deficit today and strict 20 g net carbs. 

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy