The Pyrit Ship: Captain's Log

Much trippy indeed! :D

Which makes me even more excited to see it! Show me all the weirdness that is Sweden! lol :P

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

Ok. wow. I survived the holidays. Barely. Hungover, dehydrated, too full, too much, just overloaded.

4 day week this week. Woo! Then a nice long weekend, and hopefully work will calm down a tiny bit. 4 more days to get through.

I know I've gained weight. Scale and diet went out the window. Pants are a smidge snug but I also went shopping and still bought pants in my one size down. So I haven't gained it all back!  Success...

I'm letting my self do my thing through NYE. Then its back to LCHF and giving the Whole30 a try after the next LEAD NY meeting Jan 6-9. It's gonna be a bit hard but I think I can do it. The hardest will be no dairy or splenda in my coffee or tea and no cooking with butter :( Everything else seems very doable.

Other than that it's all good. Got some fun things coming up this week and weekend and maybe a bit of snow tomorrow! I hope! 25 days till I see my BFFL in Jax for her/our 30th celebration!

Until then, time to enjoy the last 85 hours of 2015...

Laterz xx

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. " -Samuel Beckett

"I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"We could get better Because we're not dead yet"  -Frank Turner, Get Better

......... still bought pants in my one size down. So I haven't gained it all back!  Success...

YAY FOR SUCCESS!!!! :D :D :D

I'm letting my self do my thing through NYE. Then its back to LCHF and giving the Whole30 a try after the next LEAD NY meeting Jan 6-9. It's gonna be a bit hard but I think I can do it. The hardest will be no dairy or splenda in my coffee or tea and no cooking with butter :( Everything else seems very doable.

This won't be a problem. It isn't a problem. It is all about what we are used to and what we are comfortable with. The whole idea with Whole30 is to shake things up and push us out of our comfort-zone. When it comes to meat I say cook it in the oven! No butter or fat needed then, just a tad of water to keep it from sticking. And as to frying up veg in the pan, try flavour-free coconutbutter/oil/fat. I've used it before and it is really nice to fry things up in. We got this. It isn't hard really. It is very much about common sence - eat stuff without a lable and we are as close to natural as we can. And then I mean like fruits and vegs and stuff, not that obscure package of whatchamacallit down in the center lane of the store. ;P

Bae.....we got this! *high-five*

For Whole30:

Master-Yoda-Try-Not-MotleyHealth-e140300

Myupp, VERY much so!

• Like 1

This won't be a problem. It isn't a problem. It is all about what we are used to and what we are comfortable with. The whole idea with Whole30 is to shake things up and push us out of our comfort-zone. When it comes to meat I say cook it in the oven! No butter or fat needed then, just a tad of water to keep it from not sticking. And as to frying up veg in the pan, try flavour-free coconutbutter/oil/fat. I've used it before and it is really nice to fry things up in. ...not that obscure package of whatchamacallit down in the center lane of the store. ;P

Bae.....we got this! *high-five*

Haha, thanks, Bae! I forget about Coconut oil. I have a bunch in my cabinet so I can use that easy. I definitely agree about the real/whole foods. I dont know how Sweden organizes their grocery stores the but trick here is to shop the edges of the store. The produce, meat, dairy sections are the outside, the inside aisle is all processed, packaged and canned.

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Our potential first (and last) snow of 2015 turned into a solid 1-2 inches of sleet followed tomorrow by rain.

At first I was excited. Then I woke up and was all:

729430410f18d09317b4432f91b97337.jpg

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Amazing how one day can make you feel better.

I ate better (not perfect) but much better yesterday. Got decent sleep and feel loads more awake and positive today. I mean, I'm sure its a large part placebo effect but still. Also work was horrible yesterday. Just rotten. But I got enough done I should be able to stress slightly less today.

I feel energized again. And I got up on time to do my hair and makeup properly, put on a cute outfit and look good. Which I need b/c I'm going out after work tonight which I really need this time of year. Go blow off some steam. Gonna check out an awesome looking tapas and wine bar in West Hartford. I think it'll be an interesting night. If nothing else, good to get out of the house a bit before I hole up and get cozy for a New Years Eve with blankets and movies, pizza and champagne :)

Long weekend ahead and I. Can't. WAIT!!!

Laterz. x

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Last night was so fun! Stayed out waaaaay too late but it was worth it. Must remember Tapas make for great and easy LCHF eatin'. We had some great wine, amazeballs charcuterie platter (duck prosciutto. O.M.G. yaaaaas) seared octopus and veg, calamari, and the best damn roasted bone marrow I've had yet.

Tonight is my farewell to pizza for the month. So long dear friend, I will miss you! So pizza and champagne tonight chilling at home. Which I can't wait for. A great night in and sleeping in tomorrow wooooooo!!! No plans Friday so maybe a hike? that would be lovely. Hair cut and going out Saturday so a day of silly pampering and tasty food and a brewery. Yum.

Then another enjoyable, unplanned Sunday. Maybe a hike if its sunny/not muddy or raining. All in all a great way to recover from holiday madness. then just 5 days till the travel insanity kicks off again and I go to Syracuse next week. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Laterz. xx

PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2016 Looks like a great one :)

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Oramac: Roasted Bone Marrow is the shizz. delicious on a bit of rustic bread. Don't need anything else.

Well. 2016 is off to a surprisingly amazing start. I did not get actual hiking done this weekend. Ha! But I did have an awesome time and ate some great food and took a long overdue nap and it was wonderful!

I did 2 miles on the beach along Long Island Sound and another 2 miles around the neighborhood yesterday. So that's not horrible. But not all the food was "good".

Today is a different story. hard boiled eggs for brekkie, steak and spinach salad for lunch. apple for a snack and probably a variation on breakfast for dinner. All in all, LC and ok on calories. Whole 30 starts sooooon! I'm out of town this week but when i get back it'll be time to restock fo' sho'.

Time to keep 2016 rolling on a good note. I'm ready :)

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

At much better yesterday. Not perfect though. we had a work lunch I forgot about. Had a sandwich. But the rest of the day was good. More water (I'm so dehydrated! freaking winter is trying me out.) Eggs, some steak for dinner, bit of left overs.

And I made a dent in my ginormous pile of laundry. Folded/hung/washed. More to do so I can pack tonight but still. A little better. A few more things in the charity shop pile. My lease is up in May and I'm determined to move less crap this time. I've got more clothes I need to let go of, furniture I dont use but for dust collectors, knickknacks I haven't taken out of the box since I got to CT in 2013!! I think those can go. So I'm slowly working my way through it all. *sigh*

Other wise another busy day. But nice plans tonight after all the packing and things. Then off to Syracuse tomorrow. That will be another whirlwind week, with fancy (tasty) work dinner Saturday and a day trip to NYC Sunday! We're going to the natural history museum to see dinosaurs, Fika (!!) to try some good Swedish nibbles, maybe the stalls at Bryant Park, and hopefully Chelsea Market. Lord help me, I need to go back to work next Monday just to rest! :)

I'm going to drop off after tomorrow morning when I hit the road so...

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Aaaah, last night was busy but ended very well :joyous:  Finally have time to breathe at work and got lots of stuff done at home and had people over. Overall a good day. Even if I stayed up too late and am reaaaally tired. Whoops! Oh well. Have a mini 4 hour road trip today. Gonna make the guys drive a good chunk of the way...nap time! ha!

This will be my last really bad food week/days. Doing my class this week I'm at the mercy of caterers, hotel food, and travel restaurants. Still going to make the best decisions I can but It's harder when its super limited choices...and I'm hungry! But then whole30!

I wont have time to shop properly until Monday since I'll be in NYC Sunday. But I have enough breakfast food to get me through the first day :) Then its off to the races.

I'm not close to committing yet. But I found an interesting strength training gym around here. I'm going to call them later this month and see about pricing. But they do lots of one on one and while they have cardio, its more like Crossfit, without the cult. Lots of kettlebells, free and bar weights and a focus on strength over zumba. Or rather, no zumba at all! I like the look but I'm worried it'll be stupid expensive. Maybe for my birthday in 3 months my parents will hook me up for a trial run. Anyway...its an idea.

Ok, time to knock some things out then off to upstate NY.

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Doing good!  Do the best you can with what you have, and keep up the good work! 

I'm not close to committing yet. But I found an interesting strength training gym around here. its more like Crossfit, without the cult.

Sounds like a great place!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Enjoy all the travel!  I'm living vicariously through you....

AND YES, STRENGTH TRAINING, DO THE THING.  The most life-changing thing ever.

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Wow. Insane week, amazing weekend!  I'm so tired. But read to get back to semi routine.

WHOLE30 starts today. I have a good menu planned for the week. Tonight will be oven roasted chicken thighs and some lightly wilted garlic spinach. Yuuuum. I still have some pumpkin soup in the freezer for a quick lunch to go. I'll also stock up for spinach salads during the week, omlets and breakfast for quick lazy dinners. Otherwise I'm trolling the recipes for other good ideas. On one hand no drinking will be a little difficult. On the other hand, I dont want to. Right now more beer or wine doesn't sound good. The hard part will be socializing but I think its manageable. Just have to keep the end in mind. And I desperately need to get back on track. holidays and travel have definitely made themselves known in a few pants and how I feel walking.

On the upside I got well over 16,000 steps in, did 7 miles in the day and 33 flights of stairs yesterday. Woo! Gotta love NYC for keeping me on my feet and moving. While I/we indulged rather a lot in some amazing food, it really could have been worse. Killer spinach mushroom cheese omelet for brunch (with plantains, tasty but not good for you) then a huge oyster raw platter (guh, yaaaas) with beer and the best accidental dinner at Cookshop in the meatpacking district. We shared a deviled egg taster platter, chicken liver mousse, I had cassoulet with confit chicken, sausage, and pork belly and he had the most amazing braised then pan fried pork shank.

OK, sorry for the diversion into a foodblog. But damn. It was good. Off to finish my grocery shopping list and then slog through my work backlog.

Here's to surviving another Monday...

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

I'm SO GLAD you had a good time! :D And hey, eating is awesome. And as you know. I'm always here to swap ideas for whole30 meals. Got a whole lot done this weekend that will save us for some while to come. It is fantastic to just have stuff in the fridge to take up and heat up and just cook some veg to that. We got this! :D

To some extent I can understand the whole drinking socially but....to be honest....why? I realised a few years back that if people were making comments on me not drinking it was all about that they weren't comfortable with not drinking in said setting. And then I'm not talking about the whole "Hey, I see you'r not having a beer, how come?" and people being polite but the whole situation with someone making a after work sound like a fratparty.... You know what kind of people I'm talking about. You are the boss of your body, not anyone else. And come on....we got this. 30 days. Not the rest of our lives. I've decided to tell people that are persistant that I'm on a dietary experiment and gently ask them to butt out. :P

To surviving monday I say - BAH! Go kill it babe! ;) <3

• Like 1

To some extent I can understand the whole drinking socially but....to be honest....why? ...

To surviving monday I say - BAH! Go kill it babe! ;) <3

Oh I don't mean to say there's peer pressure! There's not. The people I go out with are good in that not everyone drinks and if you don't no one says anything about it. The issue is me wanting to. Being out, having a beer or glass of wine or a few of each is just enjoyable to me. It's myself I'm fighting! As usual. But I kind of tied one on last Friday night and while I have had a few nights off in between, I just feel a bit like I never fully recovered in sleep or hydration so I'm still dragging. Thus my lack of desire to drink much again for a little bit. Now. But in another week I'll be all about it again and that's where I'll have some trouble with myself. Like you said, its just 30 days. A few years ago I took 6 months off from drinking. I missed an occasional beer but it wasn't awful. But I also stopped going out as much. Though it helped immensely in losing weight.

Anyway, it'll be fine. I just have to remember why I'm doing all this yeah? Why we are. It'll be good and worth it next month. :)

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Whole30 is haaaaaard! :( I keep wanting to put milk in my tea and cook with butter/olive oil. On the flip side, I'm letting myself have fruit again for treats. Honey Crisp apples are like crack. Only one a day but damn. So good.

Going out to dinner tonight and that's gonna be tough. But they have Brussels Sprout apps and salads and wraps I think I can make work. But I'm gonna miss the burgers (unless I get it bunless but that's just not the same experience.) *whine whine whine...* Then home for a movie I think :) Old lady life isn't so bad sometimes.

Ok that's my bitching done for today. I know I need this. I'm not feeling 100% right inside, and that's from bad eating, not Whole30. I need a sort of cleanse, get the junk out and put better stuff in. So I restocked on spinach which, eating that a few times a week, wilted with garlic or as a salad always helps me feel better after a few days. Plus knocking off the sweets/cheap carbs. I was doing so well in November/early December. I want to feel that good again. We might warm up a touch by Saturday so I want to try to get a hike or at least a long walk in during the day. Sunday is off to New Haven for sushi and tourtist-y things since I have Monday off. Woo hoo! Teeny tiny vaca.

Got a tiny dusting of snow last night, maybe an inch? No major and it looks nice. But I found myself day dreaming of Martha's Vineyard yesterday. Uuuugh. Only like 5 months or more till I can go back there. Can't wait! I need more salt air in my life. And lobster. And sand. and breezes in the sun. Yaaaas. Soon.

zb88dZq.gif

Ok, well. Until then...

Laterz. x

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy

Man, what a bad week for art and the UK. First Bowie, prolific and cutting edge in music and design/style for decades, now Alan Rickman, who I loved. Yes, Snape was a wonderful character perfect for his talent, but his work in so many other films was stellar. I first noticed him in Dogma and loved everything he's done in his life. I especially loved him with Emma Thompson. A formidable collaboration. I'm really going to miss watching him and wish I could have seen him on stage.

Ah well. Yesterday was ok. Good food packed for today. Going to try to up my exercise tonight. Haven't walked enough since Sunday in NYC since it got so cold. Least I know this Sunday in New Haven will have more walking too.

alright, well. Today is more chicken and spinach with maybe some steak salad tomorrow and brekkie for dinner tonight. Till then, back to work and staying warm.

Laterz. x

Sometimes_gypsy

Did slightly less than well on eating this weekend o_O oops! Did increase activity though.

All in all had a great weekend, all sorts of new things are happening and I'm having fun at the same time. Crazy!

Diet has not been perfect as I've been eating out a lot more often but I'm working on it. Made amazing whole30/paleo mushroom soup last night. Really easy, really delish. That and some chicken and stake salad for lunches this week. Then off to Florida on Friday (if the snowstorm doesn't kill it!! :( ) I'm hopeful I'll get out in time though. Gotta get down to Jax and do some birthday partying!

Ok, loads of work now but so far, its a good week :)

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Actually ate really well yesterday. Mushroom soup and a lemon garlic chicken thigh with spinach for lunch, apple for a snack, then scrambled eggs and sausage for dinner. I didn't feel deprived and I ate till I was full. Thats a good feeling.

Even though I'm hardcore carb craving now I resisted the call to go to Dunkies for a blueberry bagel and coffee. Just coffee and an apple here. Steak and spinach salad for lunch. Probably more chicken thighs for dinner.  Protein, fat, and some veg.

Big things happening tomorrow and I'm nervous but ready. With some luck and more prep tonight I could be starting new things soon! Sorry for cryptic-ness. Details later if/when I get confirmation. :) Wish me luck.

Laterz. x

• Like 2

Sometimes_gypsy

Today I am going to slaaaaaay!

That is all.

:)

• Like 1

Sometimes_gypsy