Ridiculously Tasty Paleo Curried Squash & Apple Soup

lolavictrola

I made this recipe last weekend, and it is AMAZING. It tastes like someone pureed fall!

Adapted from this recipe

Prep: ~30 min. Cook: ~45 min.

Ingredients:

1 medium butternut squash, cubed

1 medium acorn squash, cubed

3 medium sweet apples, diced

1 medium onion, diced

4-6 cloves garlic, diced

1 medium carrot  (or 5-6 baby carrots), diced

3 cups low sodium chicken stock

1 cup almond milk (or coconut, or rice, or...)

2-3 tbsp EVOO

Curry Powder (to taste)

Salt and Pepper (to tast)

1. Preheat Oven to 350

2.. Place squash cubes on a greased baking sheet, roast for 30-40 minutes until easily mashed with fork. 

3. While squash is roasting, cook the apple, onion, garlic, and carrot in EVVOO until tender (~10 mins).

4. Add chicken stock to apple mixture. Stir, then cover and let simmer (~10 min).

5. Mash squash, and add to apple mixture. Add almond milk and curry powder. Stir and let simmer (~5 min).

6. Add to food processor, puree to preference (I like a slightly textured soup).

7. Serve, refrigerate, or freeze!

• Like 3

Lolavictrola

Amazon Adventurer in Training

STR 1 | STA 12 | DEX 1 | CON 11 | WIS 3 | CHA 16 -- 44 PT Total

My Epic Quest   ::   Current Challenge  

I will definitely have to try this, though it may be too near to my recently discovered and much treasured Butternut Squash Soup.

From my own experience in cooking, I can add this: If curry is too strong, coriander can make for a more subtle replacement and can be a softer spice on the more sensitive stomachs.

I see you say 'sweet apples'. I know apples come in a HUGE variety of flavor. What apples did you use precisely? Gala? Honeycrisp (these are huge though)? Lady? Jazz?

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

I used honeycrisps from a local orchard, and I specifically avoided the massive ones. The sweetness made this so fantastic, so I would avoid red delicious or Granny Smith!

The original recipient is for an acorn squash soup, so you can always do that :)

• Like 1

Lolavictrola

That sounds fantastic! And I just happened to get a butternut squash and an acorn squash today without specific plans for them. Clearly I was destined to try this soup. I love squashes!

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I made this today. I forgot the carrot, but I don't think that'll change the flavor much. I love it!! So does my flatmate and flatmate's friend.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I made this today. I forgot the carrot, but I don't think that'll change the flavor much. I love it!! So does my flatmate and flatmate's friend.

Yay! I'm so glad you guys liked it! I add a health dose of black pepper to mine :)

You would be surprised how carrot-y mine turned out. I love the taste of carrot, so that was great. I'm sure it would be just as tasty without it!

Lolavictrola