This is the brace I have now. It's not exactly ideal for squats and the like though. Basically I need something with enough support for the knee cap and surrounding tissue and cartilage to help with the creaking of my joints. Creaking means inflammation, which means fluid. It's nothing to do with form; I have arthritic knees and a brace is the best (and safest) way to keep them stabilized. I'm going through way, way too much kinesio tape for my wallet to handle. I'm speaking with my doctor about it today, but does anyone else have creaky knees and can suggest a good brace? Maybe a compression sleeve style?

Current Challenge: She-Hulk Strengthens the Stronghold.

[Level: 6 | STR 8.18 | DEX 6.31 STA 9.47 | CON 11.08 WIS 10.5 | CHA 6.9 ]

OK, here's my input, take it or leave it. My right knee is bad; I have a gross-looking thing on it (like massive varicose veins) and arthritis under my kneecap. 

About 2 years ago, I was skateboarding and fell-getting a 2nd degree tear of my mcl- I was on crutches for weeks, and surgery seemed to loom. I talked to my orthopaedist, and he said that he did not want to cut me open, as that always results in bigger recurring problems. I have worn knee braces for years, and I brought all of mine in. he told me that they're all useless. The one you have is my favorite, but apparently, it has no medical value. I wear it on rare occasion anyway, likely it has a placebo effect.  IIRC, the exception is the ones with the metal hinges on them. I'm interested to hear what your doctor says. 

• Like 1

I realize I have an unhealthy attachment to my jump rope.

TRX opened my eyes to new levels of discomfort.

Yeah, when it comes to cartilage damage, there's no reversing it. My biggie is keeping everything in place.

Whelp, I asked my doctor about it. I have rheumatoid arthritis so fluid retention is usually the culprit for the joints that haven't been too badly affected. My left knee is the worst at the moment (which is pretty new, honestly). She suggested I wear a compression sleeve underneath my compression brace. The one I use right now is fine, I just need a bit more compression than it's giving me. I don't have any tearing or much damage beyond fairly consistent inflammation in that area, mind you. Also, she said to use my TENS machine more on that knee. Meh. 

...I've also been banned from weighted squats and I have to keep regular squats to a minimum. Back to the wall I guess?

• Like 1

Body weight squats, dead lifts, and running are what helped me ditch my compression brace. Actually my arthritis symptoms have all but gone away since I started taking better care of myself. Losing 40lbs probably helped. Not very helpful I know, but after about 2 months of constant working out and losing weight I had forgotten the brace at home while I was out of state  for work. I had started doing weighted squats and decided to go for just the bar and felt 0 pain. I went up at an incredibly slow pace at first, mostly out of fear, but now I have little to no knee pain. I even finished a 10 mile race on Saturday and then spent all day Sunday at Magic Kingdom with minimal pain, mostly an annoyance.  

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Sorry, super late reply.

I definitely hear that. Losing weight is so helpful, haha! I've lost 20lbs so far (closer to 25lbs now) and it's already made a huge impact. My first goal is 45lbs by the new year and then the final 20 whenever that happens. ...Plus changing my diet and being more active. I love squats, but I can really only do plie squats. My right ankle is surgically fused with pins and screws. Wayyy back when I would still do dead lifts and box and all that I had no problem, but I tip forward if I try now. Eh, oh well.

My knee is actually much, much better now. I picked up a new pair of compression leggings and after wearing them pretty consistently for a few days along with the brace my knee was able to heal. I'm trying to be really careful since I'm starting to go into remission but one misstep could take me back to step one or worse. *headdesk* My TENS has also helped a lot. I was walking for what felt like four days straight at NYCC and I was in pain, but it was tolerable at the end. My hips were more irritated than my knees, really.

Get a second opinion before removing squats. I had creaky, weak knees and squatting fixed them. Not saying the doc is wrong, just to see a sports medicine person who has specific knowledge on the benefits of squatting. Most general practicioners have misguided broad avoidance for squats. In some cases, they're right, but in a very large amount of cases, banning their patients from squats is a diservice.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

SheHulk, I'm glad your knee is feeling better. If you want/need to keep using a brace, I strongly recommend seeing an orthotist. Good bracing changed my life.

As for weighted squats, if that's something you want to do, get an opinion from a good sports medicine physical therapist. They have a completely different mindset.

I'm curious about limiting bodyweight squats. That's an essential functional movement. You squat every time you get in a chair. If you're doing them correctly (good form and proper muscle activation) they'll strengthen your knees. I've been in pt for my knees for more than a decade, through seven respected centers, and all of them have focused on being able to squat correctly.

• Like 1

SheHulk, I'm glad your knee is feeling better. If you want/need to keep using a brace, I strongly recommend seeing an orthotist. Good bracing changed my life.

As for weighted squats, if that's something you want to do, get an opinion from a good sports medicine physical therapist. They have a completely different mindset.

I'm curious about limiting bodyweight squats. That's an essential functional movement. You squat every time you get in a chair. If you're doing them correctly (good form and proper muscle activation) they'll strengthen your knees. I've been in pt for my knees for more than a decade, through seven respected centers, and all of them have focused on being able to squat correctly.

I definitely think going back to my orthotist would be a good idea if the pain returns. ...I do need new inserts anyway. Do you use one of the fancy contraptions? 

Get a second opinion before removing squats. I had creaky, weak knees and squatting fixed them. Not saying the doc is wrong, just to see a sports medicine person who has specific knowledge on the benefits of squatting. Most general practicioners have misguided broad avoidance for squats. In some cases, they're right, but in a very large amount of cases, banning their patients from squats is a diservice.

I have a physical therapist who agrees. It's honestly just for the time being though, my Rheumatologist and PT said that I was doing too much too soon. So, second opinion granted and they both agree. =[

My PT suggested limiting them in the amount I'm doing. He's right. I would do 100 or more at a time (a few times a day) and that's what I did before I had joint deterioration. So the plan is to do assisted squats (no more than two sets of 20 reps in a session and moving up from there) until I've built enough muscle to support the joint well enough so I can go unassisted and then (hopefully) progress to weighted squats again. 

Thank you for all the feedback, everyone! =D

To be blunt, chances are that it has to do with a muscle imbalance or poor form.

That's not to say your squat form, but even the way you walk or stand. There are only two explanations for pain- pathology (something in your system isn't doing its job) or catastrophic injury (a piano fell on you). Considering that 98% of people are affected by something in their pathology, chances are it's either over-tension (you're tight and lack full range) or there's an open-circuit fault (your movement patterns- or form- is faulty). Fixing your pathology will let your body do its job and heal itself as it has evolved to do (or been designed to do, whichever you choose to believe) and get you back on track.

My advice, find a coach- a really good coach, preferably with a background in physiotherapy or something similar- who will find and fix the fault. It may cost you the same amount as a lifetimes supply of braces, but you will be infinitely better off in the long run. 

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler