CommanderKidd's Dwarven Army!

Hey everyone!

So I'm involved in the Warhammer PvP and the Dwarven army concentrates on upper body exercises. I started reading up on challenges and saw the suggestion that I should have an overall goal. After reading this article from our fearless leader on how to progress to doing a pull up I thought that would make an epic awesome main quest, so here goes.

Main Quest: One. Freaking. Pull Up.

Goal #1: Increase my reps by at least +1 with each workout. (Reward +2 Str)

Goal #2: Do body weight and upper body workout 3 times a week.  (Reward +1 Str)

Goal #3: Track food intake and figure out what and how much I am eating.  (Reward +2 Con decreased for grade level)

Life Quest: The Warrior Spirit

I have noticed that when I spend time with God (however you refer to him, Creator works just as well) regularly I seem to do better with things throughout the day. I'm better with my students, more flexible and find it easier to adapt all while maintaining a pleasant attitude for the most part. I've never really been able to do this daily despite feeling called to do so and as such that makes this my first life quest.

Goal: Pray and do a devotional Bible reading every morning.  (Reward +2 Wis)

Rushed mornings are not an excuse, I get to school at the latest an hour and a half before school starts.

If I've done anything wrong with this challenge or if anyone has specific tips or suggestions for me please feel free to pass them along as this is my first challenge.
  • Like 3

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

I've been working at this for a little while even though I didn't have it articulated and written down so progress over the last week or so looks like this:

Worked out Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday was a little light and I found I could double my number of reps on Thursday, next goal is to split it into multiple sets of less reps but increase reps overall. One more workout to go for my three times this week!

I have no idea what to do for tracking my food but my wife tundralily has some ideas about apps and such. I'll look into those tomorrow and hopefully find one that works with my gnarly Blackberry Curve.

As far as my life quest goes, I've been praying every morning but not to the quality I would like and also not doing any devotional aside from staff devotionals run by other people. I'll have to get on that!

Looking forward to my workout tomorrow but enjoying a much needed rest day! I walked for 30 minutes today so I was still active and I did a devotional this morning even though we were having a staff devotional anyway so progress made there.

I haven't had an opportunity to check out food tracking apps yet, got to get on that!

Hi there, looking good so far, seems like you have outlined your goals pretty well. You could set some grades and character point awards for achieving your goals at the end of the challenge, when you will be levelling up your character.

Here are some tips for character creation and this link will help you determine your race.

Regarding food tracking, I found MyFitnessPal very helpful, since it doesn't only track food and excercise but also has a barcode scanner.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Sir Hammerlock. I have tried MyFitnessPal before and I remember liking it for things like the fact that it had points already in it for a bagel and coffee at the coffee shop but I also remember being frustrated with trying to track things when I make my own lunch, I wasn't sure how to enter things like a home made ham and cheese sandwich. This was likely user error though as I never really took the time to learn the ins and outs of the app.

Update for today: missed my devotional and prayer time this morning (doh!) and didn't get to do my planned workout today but I did do 30 minutes of cardio and made progress on getting our new apartment sorted, most notably putting the canoe to bed for the winter and tackling the scary pile of nasty dishes that needed washed. A productive day but not a great day for my challenges. On the plus side I can still get in my third workout of the week in tomorrow to meet goal 1 and 2 for the week.

Yeah, mfp can be tricky regarding self made meals. I use to add every ingredient seperately. The app remembers what you put into your list for breakfast etc. so you don't have to search again for that certain ingredient every time, for example if you ate a ham and cheese sandwich, you put in the bread, ham and cheese and maybe butter or what else you got on it. Next time you eat it, you only have to select the ingredients from a saved list within the app. And you can also use the barcode scanner to just scan the pack of cheese etc., which saves a lot of time.

Update for today: missed my devotional and prayer time this morning (doh!) and didn't get to do my planned workout today but I did do 30 minutes of cardio and made progress on getting our new apartment sorted, most notably putting the canoe to bed for the winter and tackling the scary pile of nasty dishes that needed washed. A productive day but not a great day for my challenges. On the plus side I can still get in my third workout of the week in tomorrow to meet goal 1 and 2 for the week.

I know that, some days are just so busy, you don't have time or energy for a workout afterwards. That happens. Otherwise, what the heck, you did something productive, that has to count, too!

Btw: Cool, you got a canoe? Haven't done that in quite some time... (My mother was a big fan of canoing and rowing back when she was young.)

Yep! We have a canoe. The wife and I were planning on working out together today so I'll post how that went a little later on.

So far today I got up extra early to get something from school for a parent (their child forgot their shoes and they are running a 5k >_<) and did my devotions and prayer time. I am trying to write down what I am praying for so I can better thank God when I see it has been answered.

OK so I'm learning as I go. Sets are good! I did 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 15 reps for each exercise, which means I upped it by 5 reps per exercise. I think Tuesday I will try 3 sets of 10 each.

I have also been adding new exercises to my workout, I added squats today (didn't realize they were a bodyweight exercise). Now my exercise consists of 10 bicep curls (each arm), 10 tricep things (each arm), 10 dumbell rows, 15 second plank, 10 push-ups, and 10 squats. I'm feeling awesome!

Side note, lifting a bear barrel was really awkward especially for bicep curls and tricep exercises (we had nothing to use as weights and 1L milk jug wasn't going to cut it).. Wife says if I pass my challenge we can get a set of dumbells! Woot woot!

Just added MyFitnessPal to my phone too, it's going to be a bit daunting setting everything up as there is so much depth to the information in that app. Not to mention my blackberry isn't very easy to navigate (thus frustration causing).

Looking forward to a strong start to week 4!

Going to start tracking quest progress as well:

Quest 1: Increase reps by at least +1

3/3     0/3     0/3     0/3     = 3/12

Quest 2: Workout 3 times a week

3/3     0/3     0/3     0/3     =3/12

Quest 3: Track what I am eating

Install a program for tracking food intake          E

Set up program with common foods I eat         D

Track suppers     5 = C-        10 = C        15     C+

Track lunches     5 = B-         10 = B        15     B+

Track breakfast   5 = A-         10 = A        10     A+

Tracking everything       S rank! (Japanese gaming style!)

Life Quest: Daily devotional and prayer (own not group)

2/3     0/7     0/7     0/7     =2/24

Also added rewards to my quests with the intention of creating my character before the end of the challenges. What do people think, do they look about right for difficulty/reward ratio? Is Wisdom the right stat for spirituality?

Well, can't skip dropping by one of my PvP players' threads, especially when they've built their entire challenge around recruiting the troops! :)

Also added rewards to my quests with the intention of creating my character before the end of the challenges. What do people think, do they look about right for difficulty/reward ratio? Is Wisdom the right stat for spirituality?

The first challenge is always a learning process. Therefore, you don't yet get to assign points to your goals, but instead get a fixed number of points for reaching levels 1 and 2, which you can assign to your stats. To answer your second question, Wisdom may encompass a lot of things and spirituality is certainly one of those.

• Like 1

Hey, looking good there!

OK so I'm learning as I go. Sets are good! I did 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 15 reps for each exercise, which means I upped it by 5 reps per exercise. I think Tuesday I will try 3 sets of 10 each.

Sets 3 sets of ten is the way to go. or 5 sets of 5 when doing heavier weights. Remember: Lots of weight with few sets, not the other way around (if you want to build muscle strength, not endurance).

I have also been adding new exercises to my workout, I added squats today (didn't realize they were a bodyweight exercise). Now my exercise consists of 10 bicep curls (each arm), 10 tricep things (each arm), 10 dumbell rows, 15 second plank, 10 push-ups, and 10 squats. I'm feeling awesome!

Squats are really one of the best excercises, and you can change them up in many ways. I for my part am not that big a fan of curls because they are only training one muscle isolated, but that's up to you ;). Rows, planks and push ups together with the squats are really great! And cool that you felt great afterwards, that was the thing motivating me especially at the beginning when I had to push myself doing workouts ;).

Side note, lifting a bear barrel was really awkward especially for bicep curls and tricep exercises (we had nothing to use as weights and 1L milk jug wasn't going to cut it).. Wife says if I pass my challenge we can get a set of dumbells! Woot woot!

You won't regret that investment for sure!

Just added MyFitnessPal to my phone too, it's going to be a bit daunting setting everything up as there is so much depth to the information in that app. Not to mention my blackberry isn't very easy to navigate (thus frustration causing).

Why don't you set up MFP online with your PC? It's quite a lot easier navigating and you can set your goals and everything when you log into your account, and it will sync with your app on your phone. Then you can use it to track your eating, for example by using the barcode scanner.

• Like 1

Well, can't skip dropping by one of my PvP players' threads, especially when they've built their entire challenge around recruiting the troops! :)

The first challenge is always a learning process. Therefore, you don't yet get to assign points to your goals, but instead get a fixed number of points for reaching levels 1 and 2, which you can assign to your stats. To answer your second question, Wisdom may encompass a lot of things and spirituality is certainly one of those.

Thanks D_R I didn't realize that. I'll edit them out. I think the way the levels will work since I joined half way through a challenge is that next challenge I will level up to level 2 and 3? Does that sound right?

Hey, looking good there!

Sets 3 sets of ten is the way to go. or 5 sets of 5 when doing heavier weights. Remember: Lots of weight with few sets, not the other way around (if you want to build muscle strength, not endurance).

Squats are really one of the best excercises, and you can change them up in many ways. I for my part am not that big a fan of curls because they are only training one muscle isolated, but that's up to you ;). Rows, planks and push ups together with the squats are really great! And cool that you felt great afterwards, that was the thing motivating me especially at the beginning when I had to push myself doing workouts ;).

You won't regret that investment for sure!

Why don't you set up MFP online with your PC? It's quite a lot easier navigating and you can set your goals and everything when you log into your account, and it will sync with your app on your phone. Then you can use it to track your eating, for example by using the barcode scanner.

That's a great idea SirHammerlock, the wife suggested it as well so I should definitely look into that. How do you scan a barcode with your pc though? I'm not doing so well with the tracking food part of my challenge so far -_-

So I missed my devotional yesterday but I got it in today (while eating breakfast lol). I really need to do these in the morning as it helps set myself up mentally for the day and I'm too tired when I get home. I'm currently at 2 of 3 for the week, not too shabby.

Completed 1 workout with 3 sets of 10 yesterday ^_^ I think since I don't have access to weights I will keep adding reps, I know it's not great for muscle building but it's all I have available. I wonder how it works to increase weights when I need a large number of reps for my army, should I start counting each rep as 1.2, 1.7 etc as they get heavier? hmm.

ohhhh that makes sense.

I'm thinking of what I should be doing over the holiday, turkey day gets me every time... it's the stuffing. lol

I did my devotional today and I'm in the midst of my exercise as we speak. It seems harder than usual today, especially the tricep exercise. But then I always had a hard time with the triceps.

Biggest victory of today was organizing and tidying my entire classroom. I can see my desk again!

I also feel like I left more information for the supply teacher than she needed me to which makes me feel good. The kiddos were at the fall harvest night tonight eating lots of sugar so I don't envy her my class in the morning.

ohhhh that makes sense.

I'm thinking of what I should be doing over the holiday, turkey day gets me every time... it's the stuffing. lol

Hehe, I know that feeling.. You should decide between "conscious sinning" and "total abstinence", meaning: You decide exactly what you will allow yourself to eat, that you normally wouldn't and consider unhealthy etc. Then you enjoy every bite and stop after you had the amount you decided on (or the food you wanted to eat without eating the other, for example you decide to eat the turkey but not the filling). When I know there is this day coming, when there will be food on the table that I will really enjoy, but probably isn't good for my weight loss (like, last week we went to a mexican restaurant and I wanted those best spare ribs with fries I had ever had ;)), I prepare myself by not eating much else on that day, so I won't make my caloric intake explode and to then totally enjoy what I am gonna eat (I realized that the ribs weren't as good as I remembered and that it won't be worth it a second time, though). Conscience! (Every time I did it this way, I realized that the "unhealthy" food wasn't worth it in any way and learned something by it for next time, so that may be a way for you to?)

Or, you could decide not to give in to any temptation that will be there. You could make a game of it and award points for every temptation you resist and choose a (non-food) reward, if you get a certain amount of points or resist at least a certain percentage of all temptations that evening. This will be harder, especially if the food's on the table and everybody except yourself will eat it. For me, in this case it helped to not come hungry to those kind of meals, so I won't just shove anything into myself just cause it smells so good. But, and let me tell you this from my own experience, it will feel much more rewarding afterwards, if you resist the temptation and only eat within your normal dietary guidline. Hope this helps you making a decision ;).

Thanks SirHammerlock, that helps a bunch. Considering we went out for all you can eat sushi today I'm going to take it easy tomorrow. One helping and small portions only, one slice of pie.

Here is my challenge update for this week:

3/3     3/3     0/3     0/3     = 6/12

3/3     3/3     0/3     0/3     =6/12

Install a program for tracking food intake      --->     Complete!

Set up program with common foods I eat    ---->     This will be done tomorrow!

Meals tracked:

0/7   0/7   = 0/14

(note: grading this challenge has changed as I think I bit off more than I could chew, wife suggested not to punish myself for not getting this done earlier but track from here.)

2/3     6/7     0/7     0/7     =8/24

I accomplished all my goals so far to some extent. Missed one devotional and completely changed my workout today but it was still more work than last time overall as I added new exercises. Tracking food intake will start in earnest tomorrow, I will try to backtrack as much as possible but I won't grade myself on that.

I am especially proud of keeping up on my devotionals even while I've been on the road and out doing things over the holidays, it hasn't been easy but I made it work.

Hey, looks like you're doing great!

Regarding the grading: It is totally fine to adjust your grades and your goals throughout the challenge, especially during your first one. I have learned through all my challenges that I sometimes till want to much. Remember, it's small, tiny baby steps towards one goal, concentrate on one thing and get that done, instead of trying to transform everything in your life at all and then fail cause it's just too much ;). So, don't beat yourself up if you let something slide, just concentrate on what you want and do it, devote yourself totally. I think the recent blog post from steve mostly puts it together ;).

Thanks SirHammerlock!

So my Thanksgiving holiday made it difficult to do some of my goals (especially since I lost my bible in the abyss that is the trunk of our car currently). I did pray this morning and listen to an audiobook by a Luteran pastor (Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber) so I'm counting that as a win all things considered.

I did alright with eating (only small helpings and no seconds) although I had a lot of soda on the road, I always seem to on road trips!

I also did not get myfitnesspal updated with anything so when I went to add the food I ate I couldn't do anything about it (I thought I could search for restaurant/fast food meals on it but couldn't figure that out).

Considering writing things down in my book until I get the program figured out.

• Like 1

I've been going more old school myself and writing things down in a notebook.  A travesty since I work in technology, but some days, it's just easier to write it down rather than looking it up and making what I ate or what exercises I did fit into some predefined category - especially when I'm in a rush or out of my comfort zone.

For the Warhammer PvP, it sounds like we all need a category for doing chores we really avoid ... like cleaning out car trunks.  :playful:

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Ok my goal for this week is going to shift to writing my food intake down anywhere then regardless of if it is MFP or not. Thanks.

I would love that, but my wife would likely never find her stuff lol. Our current most massive needed chore is laundry >_< we share laundry machines with about 13 other rental units.

Here is my challenge update for this week:

3/3     3/3     3/3     0/3     = 9/12

3/3     3/3     3/3     0/3     =9/12

Install a program for tracking food intake      --->     Complete!

Set up program with common foods I eat   ---->     I think I have this figured out. The blackberry app sucks so I will have to track everything by computer. I'll track what I eat in my notebook and update MFP in the evenings when I check on Nerdfitness.

Start tracking food intake regardless of where  ----->  Started with breakfast and what I remembered of yesterday!

Meals tracked:

3/3   1/7   = 4/10

2/3     6/7     6/7     0/7     =14/24

I lost my Bible and devotional book for a couple days while we were travelling but I subsidized it with other things such as Pastrix so I will count them as still having been done. That means I only missed one this week.

I have a high stress week ahead, it would be nice to relax this weekend but that's not going to happen. I'm in a rotten mood today but due to that rotten mood I thought screw my responsibilities right now I'm starting to track my food. So I guess that's good. I'll get to my responsibilities for others later today.

• Like 1

You do need to care for your tools ... i.e. your self ..... before you can help others.  So, good job!!!

Can you get the Bible and devotional book on your phone? 

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Unfortunately my blackberry isn't very easy to navigate and find apps on. Especially since the cursor is finicky. I could definitely get them on my work computer, but the challenge is not going into work mode and forgetting about it as soon as I go through the door. It's like I enter the school and I am unable to be anything but Mr Teacher.

I should also mention I found my Bible buried in the trunk after just a couple days so I'm back on track with that now. Just missed Saturday with no excuse. It's becoming a trend for me which is why the record shows 6/7 for most weeks.

Most of my stress was due to a school inspection which is 75% finished now and didn't seem to be too bad in the end. Have to brush up a bit on the bureaucratic side of my teaching but I'm O.K. with that.

Inspection is done and I learned a lot.

I also found out today that my wife will be staying in the town that she works on 3 days a week starting now until the spring. We had talked about it before of course but now it's right there I don't like it. I also realized that my healthy eating habits are mostly due to her influence so I worry a bit about how well I'll be able to keep away from temptation while she's gone.

Having said that I'm still doing well with all my current goals.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines