(revisions of Quest: 10/10, 11/5, 11/11, 11/17, 12/5) 

Granny Nogg is an old hedge witch.  You wouldn't know that fact by looking at her, however.   After all, she's a witch; she can make her appearance to be anything she likes.  Currently she likes looking half her age.  It makes up for all the difficulty she had as a young hedge witch, trying to gain respect for her skills in spite of looking like a twelve-year-old.  

Granny wears a crisp white blouse with billowy sleeves, a corset to show off her trim waist, and layers of long skirts over knee-length knickers.  Those knickers are magical (Bag Of Holding), and can hold just about anything, including her battle log. This log book is as wide as her forearm, and bound in soft Where's-My-Cow hide.  The edges are a wee bit tattered and the black-and-white spotted leather cover needs some oil, but Granny's quite fond of it.  

Traveling has been her pleasure and her duty for many a year, visiting the villages that surround her forest home.  Returning from a visit, Granny seats herself on a stump and pulls out her log book to record some details.  She licks her pencil and begins to write:

My Age:  49 (In calendar-type linear years.  I'm too polite to state my actual age in mixed company.)
Height:  Assuming one means heels touching the ground, I'm 5 foot 8.  Without my hat.
Weight:  160 pounds, more or less on any given day. 

Main Quest: To be able to complete the Beginner Body Weight Workout (BBWW) 3x a week.  To complete this quest I will:

• Quest 1:  Work at the BBWW 3 times a week, increasing the following reps:
    • squats: Currently I can do 3 sets of 10.  I will increase my reps by one rep each week until I can do 3 sets of 16 squats
    • push-ups Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 wall push-ups.  I will increase my reps by one rep each week until I can do 3 sets of 16 wall push-ups  GOAL MET IN 4TH WEEK!
    • lunges: Currently I can do 3 sets of 5 lunges.  I will increase my reps by one rep each week until I can do 3 sets of 11 lunges per leg 
    • dumbbell rows:  Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows with a gallon jug of water.  GOAL MET IN 4TH WEEK WITH 10 LB. DUMBBELLS!
    • plank: Currently I can do 3 sets of 10 second planks.  I will increase my plank time by one second each week until I can do 3 sets of 15 second planks.  GOAL MET IN 4TH WEEK!
    • jumping jacks:  Currently I can do 3 sets of 30 jumping jacks.  This meets the criteria for the BBWW so my goal is to just continue with this number of reps/sets
      • Measurement:  A= completing all elements of the quest 3x a week.  B= Increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 75% AND being consistent about working out 3x a week.  C= increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 50% but not being consistent about working out 3x a week.  D= increasing reps for squats, push-ups, lunges, and plank by 25% but not being consistent about working out 3x a week; F= giving up. 

Str=3

• Quest 2: Post to the forums 3x a week for encouragement and accountability
    • Participate in the Level 1 Rebels forums and encourage other rebels
    • Post to my battle log at least 3x a week
    • Join and Participate in an Accountabilibuddies group (Done!  Joined the CutLasses -- if you're a girl who likes talking in Pirate, please join us!)
      • Measurement:  A= participating at least one post/comment every day 3x a week in my Rebels forums, posting to my BL at least 3x a week, and post/comment every day 3x a week in my Accountabilibuddies group. B= participating 2x a week in the Rebels forums, BL, and Accountabilibuddies.  C= participating 1x a week in the Rebels forums, BL, and Accountabilibuddies.  D= participating -1x a week in the Rebels forums, BL, and Accountabilibuddies.  F= giving up. 

Cha=3

• Quest 3: Respect my body so I get the most out of my workouts
    • Eat paleo at least 5 days of the week (link to my food diary is in my sig below, so I won't be posting a food log.  Food diary is public for accountability)
    • Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, 5 days of the week
    • Go to bed before 11pm at least 5 nights of the week
    • Post progress photos at least once a month to the Before/During/After Shots! album, "Granny Nogg's Progress"
      • Measurement: A= Eating paleo 5x a week, Drinking 8 glasses of water 5x a week, bedtime before 11pm 5x a week, posting at least 1 progress pic during the challenge.  B= eating paleo 4x a week, drinking 8 glasses of water 5x a week, bedtime before 11pm 4x a week, posting at least 1 progress pic during the challenge.  C= eating paleo 3x a week, drinking 8 glasses of water 5x a week, bedtime before 11pm 3x a week, posting at least 1 progress pic during the challenge.  D= eating paleo 2x a week, drinking 8 glasses of water 2x a week, bedtime before 11pm 2x a week, posting no progress pic during the challenge. F= giving up. 

Con=2

Life Quest: To complete all customer orders by December 15 AND to complete my instructional video by December 1st.  To complete this quest I will:

• Spend at least 6 hours a day, 4 days a week, in the studio working on customer orders
  • Spend at least 5 hours a week working on the video (basing it on availability of video team) GOAL MET IN 4TH WEEK! 
    • Measurement:  A= completing all orders by December 15 and get video turned in.  B= completing all orders by December 19 and video gets turned in on time  C= rushing at the last minute and spending 14-hour work days to complete orders by December 19, and video gets turned in a few days late.  D= rushing at the last minute and spending LOTS of money to overnight packages to customers, and video gets turned in two weeks late.  F= giving up.

Wis=2

What's my motivation:  To be strong in my senior years, having healthy lean muscles that protect my bones.  I also wanna look awesome naked.  Not just for a 50-year-old grandmother.  But just awesome period. 

Granny Nogg's Motto:  "Those are not my monkeys." 

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Today I started the Beginner Bodyweight Workout. Here's how I did:

10 wall push ups
10 regular lunges
10 dumbbell rows
6 second plank
30 jumping jacks (!!)

I only had enough time today to do one set. But Thursday I'll try adding more to what I did. (Big thanks to Taros for answering my questions!)

In addition to the BBW, I took 3658 steps today.

Okay.  So.  I did another BWW yesterday.  And I also started doing the warm-up exercises.  Here's how I did:

10/9/14

Warm-up:  25 jumping jacks, 50 times jumping rope (swinging the rope in a complete circle.  Actually it's an invisible rope because I don't have one yet.  Working on that~), 10 bodyweight squats, 5 lunges per leg, 10 forward leg swings per leg, 10 side leg swings per leg, 10 wall push ups, 10 leg extensions (but... ow.  These make my arthritis in my hips hurt.  may have to adjust this one).

Beginner Bodyweight Workout: 10 bodyweight squats, 10 wall push ups, 5 lunges per leg, 10 dumbbell rows, 6 second plank, 30 jumping jacks. 

I haven't worked out yet today-- I will, I promise.  I just have been a little behind with my orders, so I'm feeling some work pressure.  Well, and family pressure, too.  Not bad stuff!  We just have a big family and alot going on, and the family members like each other for the most part, so we do alot of stuff together.  Two granddaughters have birthdays this month (girls, ages 3 and 1); we host an annual Halloween party and I'm WAY behind on prep for that; and our first grandson is due at the end of October/early November.  Just a lot going on.  Had to say no to a Greek lunch with son#1 today, because I have so much work to do.  (But I comfort myself by believing the Greek food festival wouldn't have had anything paleo to eat anyway...)

Speaking of Paleo:  Okay, I'm on week 3.  My doctor is behind this 100%, which is unusual and kinda cool.  It's a LOT of cooking, which I'd gotten away from after we became empty-nesters.  Having to re-learn old habits (and doing all those dishes!!)  I had become that girl who was nomming on a protein bar in the car....  Just not great eating habits for someone who's lactose and gluten intolerant!

Okay, that's about it for now.  Be back when I've done my workout for the day:  Warm-up and cardio boxing on my x-box.  I love, love, love cardio boxing. 

• Like 1

Well... Yesterday's workout was a crit fail. I didn't do it in the morning like I usually do, and then I got busy with work and kept procrastinating. Bleh! Not proud of myself.

However, I didn't wallow in self pity and eat a bag of Doritos. I went to bed determined to get back on track, and this morning I did. So here's today's workout:

10-11-14
Warm up: 25 jj/50 jr/10 sq/5 lpl/10 fls/10 sls/10 wpu/10 le.
BWW: 10 sq/10 wpu/10 dbr/10 sec pl!! /30 jj.

I got encouraged when I was able to increase my plank by 4 seconds! :)

Here's yesterday's food diary:  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cattherien?date=2014-10-10

So it's 5am, and I'm laying in my #1 son's bed listening to his Scottish terrier, Darth Vader, snore.

Why am I here, you ask? Because my daughter-in-law suddenly went into labor 3 weeks early! We were at the hospital until about 10 last night, and then came here to babysit the dogs overnight. (Vader Dog has seizures, poor guy, and he needed to have his meds before he went to bed.) Their other dog, a Yorkshire Terrier named Jack-Jack, has to be let out in the middle of the night - hence my being awake.

So sometime today our grandson Jonathan will be born. The irony is, all 3 of our grandkids have birthdays in the same 2 week period. Gracie's just turned 3, Lily's gonna be 1 on the 23rd, and now Jon. Weird science!!

ChristArtist: congrats on the 4 grandkids! And awesome to know you're working on being strong and healthy in your senior years - your great-grandchildren will likely be able to know and remember you because statistically you'll live a longer, more active life.

Shae - Yes, I was talking about my main quest. I'm hoping it's on track. For the next challenge!

• Like 1

The goals look good! The only thing I will say is take a look at the video that goes with the Basic Body Weight Workout. He notes that those aren't actually walking lunges he's doing. Walking lunges are a bit more difficult. So if you, like me, are finding you have a lot of leg soreness just getting started with lunges, I'd say consider backing it off to just a standard lunge.

Congrats on the new grandkid!

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Shae, you're right about the lunges. I wrote them as walking ones but then did them according to the video, so I guess they're regular ones and that's what I'd been doing.

Except that I haven't done any workouts in the last couple of days. Well, I had fun playing kinect golf with Allen (hubby) for a few hours. But that's minimal exercise. I had been eating out alot because our daughter-in-law was in labor about 30 hours and then they had to do an emergency c-section. They're both fine and expecting to go home from the hospital today.

But somewhere along the line of all that eating out, I got something with dairy in it. That will wipe me out for days. I'm lactose and gluten intolerant, so I have to be very careful. I forgot to ask the lady at the deli if the baked chicken had been basted with butter. I think that was the mistake I made. So I've been sick since Sunday night. Made a bad judgement call and ate regular paleo on Monday even though my villi were stripped. Paid for that! So yesterday it was the brat diet (banana/rice/apple/toast) minus the toast because I didn't have any gf bread and plain toast is boring. I'll do the same thing today, and hopefully reintroduce cooked veggies tomorrow. I hate having food intolerance. It's so darn inconvenient and it makes you sound like a real jerk in restaurants. Sometimes I think cooks will toss a blob of butter on stuff out of spite because I make them work harder. Cuz sometimes I still get sick in spite of taking every precaution possible, short of bringing my own food.

Yeah, I'm a little grumpy.

Anyway, I'm gonna go play disc golf with Allen so I'd better get a wiggle on.

• Like 1

We headed over to our home course to play disc golf today.  We're practicing for a tournament that's coming this Saturday, "Shot In The Dark".  In that tournament you play two rounds of 18 holes:  one in the late afternoon, and the other in the evening when it's dark.  In order to see your discs, you either play with glow-in-the-dark discs and "charge" them by shining a flashlight on them for a second, or you use translucent colored discs and put these tiny battery operated LED lights underneath them that flash on and off.  It's amazing to see a field full of these lit-up discs... looks like an invasion of miniature alien ships landing on the Earth.  

The rest of my day went better and the disc golf got rid of my grumpy attitude.  Afterward we went grocery shopping and then headed over to the #1 son's house to make them dinner.  Mama and new baby came home from the hospital today.  Both are doing fine.  We did a few chores for them, because they really got caught flat-footed with the baby coming a month early.  All the stuff they'd planned to do "before the baby comes".  Yep, Murphy's Law of Parenthood strikes again!

I did well in sticking to my BRAT diet today.  I didn't log my food because I know I was way way under my calorie allotment.  I didn't want to pig out on carbs, so I only ate when I was hungry.  An apple, a few cups of rice, a banana.  Tomorrow I'm expecting to go back to the Beginner Bodyweight Workout and try to eat "paleo light" --- easy on the animal proteins, cook my veggies because that's easier to digest than eating them raw, etc.  I'll be tracking my food again, too.  And playing disc golf again (hoping to play the next two days in prep for the tournament).

I'm interested in your paleo brat diet! Hospital food was hard! And, sometimes I do have issues with food, even if I've asked for help.

I use the term allergic...and I am deathly allergic to shellfish. I've found most are very concerned and want to help when it's anaphylaxis!

Grandbaby...sorry for the early birth, and emergency c section...but glad everyone is doing well!

And, congrats to you for continuing, even in the face of a sneaky enemy!

And, you taught me something! Paleo brat....i can do that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Oh! There's some confusion here, I see. My apologies for not making things clearer. The "paleo" and "brat" are two different things. Paleo is a very low carb, no dairy / no gluten / no processed way of eating. That's my normal diet (not in terms of losing weight but in terms of lifelong eating style). It's both by choice and by necessity: I'm lactose and gluten intolerant.

The "brat" diet is what I eat when my lactose intolerance gets triggered by inadvertently consuming foods that have dairy products included in them, which is why eating away from home is like navigating a mine field without a map. Often times I hit a digestive mine, so to speak, and my intestines suffer the consequences. The only thing I can do after the exposure is to be very gentle on my intestinal processes by eating easily digested foods for the next three days while my intestinal flora rebuilds itself: Bananas, Apples, Rice, and Toast (BRAT).

Due to my gluten intolerance, the toast part is out unless I have some gluten free bread at home. Coincidentally I do; but it isn't paleo so I didn't eat it. Besides, I'd have to either eat it dry, or mash overripe banana on it, neither of which is appealing.

However, banana and apple are paleo, and so is rice on a non-strict paleo diet, if used in moderation. Maybe it could be called the "paleo bra" diet, but I think that leaves an entirely different impression than we'd want to leave, no?? :D

Thank you for the grats on the new grandkid, it's appreciated.

• Like 2

Yesterday was so much better. I felt really productive. Made steak & eggs for breakfast, granddaughter & daughter joined us. Then I did some horribly needed cleaning in my studio! (Why are artists so messy?)

Got some orders worked on, then played disc golf with hubby & #3 son & #1 son. Had a pretty good game. Then came home and made a quick dinner and watched movies.

Yesterday's food diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cattherien?date=2014-10-16

Today's uber busy. I'm in the car taking hubby to daughter's house so he can work on the remodeling of her attic. Then I'm back home to work on orders. Then this afternoon disc golf again.

Tomorrow is even busier. I lead a small group on Saturday mornings. Then #2 granddaughter's first birthday party.

Then the disc golf tournament!! Think I'm excited? Ohhhh yeah.

Okay. My turn to drive. Granny's Out!

Busy busy couple of days. Saturday I had 3 events going (a class; birthday party; tournament).  All were really good.  I kept my food in check, with the exception of french fries at dinner last night.  But that's pretty small. I'd gotten alot of low-impact exercise and walked a total of 10 miles in the last two days! 

Tomorrow I'll be doing the BBWW and looking forward to it.  I'm seeing muscle there>>>>  :)

I'm almost caught back up with work, which is huge.  LOL just in time to start going ballistic because our semi-annual Fantasy/Sci-Fi Halloween party is in a little over a week!  We have only about 30 people so it's not huge, but I usually decorate and we make up games and do costume contests, etc.  I still haven't finished my husband's costume  (yes, that was a gulp of mild panic).  Fortunately mine is done.  We're a character pair-- he's a Steampunk superhero from the planet Uranus named Discman.  I'm the female reporter (ala Nellie Bly) who chronicles his vigilante exploits. 

Then after the Halloween party, we start getting ready for our annual New Year's Eve Dance.  We both love to dance, but we don't like going out to bars on NYE, because so many people are so drop dead drunk that they just make the dance floor a mess, they start fights, and it's just not worth it.  So we created a "social dance club" for that night.  People come for the dancing and that's it.  We don't offer alcohol, and we get done at 11pm central so if they still wanna hit a bar to toast the New Year on time, they can do that.  We usually have a theme to the party, and I go all out decorating.  We were just talking about it, and this year's theme is going to be Jazz -- Big Band mostly, but also some blues, dixieland, etc.  

So that's about it for today.  

How can I get an invite to this Halloween party? Sounds awesome. I was a steampunk bounty hunter at DragonCon this year, myself. Considering using that costume for Halloween. :) And I agree about going out dancing on NYE. I've actually been to a private dance for a few New Year's Eves as well, and it's much more pleasant than slipping in spilled liquor on the dance floor and walking past the people puking in the bushes on the way out. 

The muscle development is nice, right? I've really loved how quickly I've been able to see some results from the BBWW. It's so encouraging!

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Honey, if you're serious about that invite, LOL, sure I'll get you one!  

DragonCon-- ooooh, ahhhhh.  I've never been to a "fun" con.  I've been to lots of work-related conventions.  But usually as a vendor so it's a much different experience (or so I'm told).  My #1 son goes to GenCon every year as his group runs a tabletop game that he GM's.  He always invites me to come, and this year I almost did.  I'd planned on wearing my Steampunk costume!  But the royalty check I was expecting from a publisher never arrived (that's an issue for another day).  So I didn't get to go.  But maybe next year.  Besides, I want to finish my Steampunk costume.  Eventually my character gets turned into a cyborg, and her little external dynamo system for my bustle has to be built.  My hubby's engineered it but hasn't had time to make it.  OH we could talk about costumes FOREVAH!!  i LOVE sewing them, wearing them... I'm often in "period" dress from the 40's to 70's, just in regular daywear.  I'll do nods at period outfits, but I don't want it to look like I'm in costume when I'm shopping, know what I mean?  Then people would misinterpret and think I'm on a break from a play at the theater.  And so I tone it down for everyday public consumption.  But whenever I finish a costume, my hubby and I will go out and do a photo shoot.  I'll try to figure out how to add some pictures in here somewhere.

I know you said you do some leatherwork, so I'd love to see pictures of what you've made and costumes!!

Yeah I have to admit I was skeptical about the BBWW.  I didn't think it'd really do much.  So I've been pretty surprised that I've seen progress in just a few weeks of doing it.  It almost seems too simple!  But hey, whatever works, and yes it's very very encouraging!

I wanna wear this dress I have, for New Year's Eve.  It's a long, sleveless, velvet sheath dress.  Really gorgeous dress.  But I still have "gramma arms" -- "batwings".  And I'm mildly embarrassed by it.  Or I guess self-conscious about it.  I'd love to see muscle take the place of the flappies.  So I'm working those push-ups!

Today was weigh and measure day.  I was mildly disappointed to see the scale go back up to 162.  I'd dropped to 160 last week!  But I know, I know-- the scale is at best a vague compass of what's going on.  My measurements are a greater indication, though not infallible, because it's subjective to how tightly the tape is held and how parallel to the floor the tape is placed.  All that qualifying aside, I AM seeing a downward trend over the last 3 months:

Weight: from 168 on 7/22 to 160 on 10/14

Waist: from 32" on 7/22 to 31.5" on 10/14

Hips: from 42.5 on 7/22 to 41.1" on 10/14

Thigh: from 25" on 7.22 to 25" on 10/14 
Underbust: from 33.75" on 7/22 to 32.75" on 10/14

And it's a far cry from where I started a few years ago.  So I know this is working and I know I'm on the right track.  I'm just being impatient and perfectionistic when I expect to see rapid gains.  

Here's yesterday's food diary.  I'm not proud of this.  I skipped breakfast because I was taking too much time getting my makeup ready.  Choosing my appearance over my nutrition, that was out of balance.  I gotta watch being forced into choices like that.  Next week I'll set my alarm earlier so I can do both, or prepare breakfast ahead of time.  With my food sensitivities I can't just grab a protein bar as I'm running out the door anymore, so I need to have better contingency plans.  I'm also out of fresh and frozen produce-- I'm going through it a LOT faster now that I'm eating paleo.  Again, I need to make better planning and preparation so that doesn't happen. 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cattherien?date=2014-10-19

Yesterday's exercise was a round of disc golf with my hubs.  Love playing this game!  OH that reminds me:  how'd I do at the tournament?  Had a fabulous team, which is a big deal.  Some women just aren't nice to play with; they're too competitive and too obsessed about their own performance.  But this pair that I was teamed with were fun, courteous, and the competition was light.  We even promised to get together and play a round again soon.  I placed last in the women's division, which is where I expected to place.  I'm not as concerned about winning as I am about conquering my fear of participating and staying real with my expectations. 

Just checked out your location on your profile. Sadly, central Illinois would be a little far for even me to go for a great party. It sounds awesome though! And yes, I may need to share pictures at some point in the future. :) You should definitely check out a con. They are great fun. 

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet