Just catching up on your thread. I love it when other older wiser women join the Rebellion. I'm 49 years young myself. You are doing awesome, keep it up!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Today was a happy crappy day. This morning I returned to doing the bbww. Realized it had been 11 days since last I did it. Oh Crap! In my mind it had only been 2 or 3. Made me glad I keep a diary of my workouts.

I did some research on push ups to make sure that I was doing then right (I wasn't; my elbows were flaring). Still have to do wall ones because my muscles are small. But they're stronger now than they've ever been in my entire life. I can do 25 wall push ups (in sets of 10). In the beginning of the month I could barely do 10. And today I did a 15 second plank! That's twice what I could do when I started. Progress! I noticed today that I had definition in the back of my calves. So I reached down and felt them - holy cow. The fat is gone and that's firm muscle down there!! I can do 15 dumbbell rows now instead of 10. This is all very encouraging. :)

After my workout, I went down to my studio and really tackled my orders. Catching up from the last 1.5 weeks. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but I'm still stressed about deadlines.

Had a really good planning session with Allen tonight about our Halloween party. What needs to be done and by whom - we've developed a good working system of sharing responsibility with projects, even geeky ones like a Sci Fi Costume Party.

The crappy part of my day was this evening. I'm a leader in a 12-step recovery group, and it just so happened that I had to clean up from group tonight. I was left all alone with 2 giant trays of fruit Danishes. For someone with food addiction, this was a baaaad idea!! You should have heard the bargaining my brain was doing to try to get me to eat some Danish. Every argument under the sun. It was a huge struggle. In the end, when I shut off the lights and locked the building, I was proud of myself for not giving in. And my brain agreed, in fact it suggested a celebratory order of French fries as a reward ::facepalm:: Mental ruts in the road are SO hard to break.

When I got home though, I let down my guard, and that's when 2 gluten free waffles and half a peach made their appearance. Our should I say disappearance. A small indulgence under controlled circumstances. I'm okay with that.

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

My brain makes similar bargains, so I know exactly what you mean. I'll reward myself for not eating bad food by eating this other bad food! The snack you settled for sounds like a good compromise, though.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Just catching up on your thread. I love it when other older wiser women join the Rebellion. I'm 49 years young myself. You are doing awesome, keep it up!

Several of us wise women hanging around.  Nice costumes and good challenge so far.  I'm a bit "wiser" than you are, but still managing to keep myself going.

• Like 1

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Got back from the rheumatologist a little bit ago. So the Plaquenil that she'd prescribed me is being very effective and my hand is almost back to normal. Very functional and my grip strength is better, too. It does prove that something is definitely outta whack with my immune system.

I asked if she thought maybe whatever other foods I'm allergic to or intolerant of could be causing the immune system problems. She said it could certainly be that they're related, and perhaps clearing up the gi issues could also clear up the overactive immune response(s).

My gastroenterologist is sending me to a doctor who specializes in food allergies. (and he also agreed that lab work isn't going to tell them what's going on in there).

Okay.  Food and exercise:

I've haphazardly tracked my food last couple of days.  Just busy, and procrastinate logging my food until it's bedtime and then I'm tired and I forget.  I've tracked 2 out of 3 meals both days, but they've been a little carby with rice and potatoes.  I've had fries twice this week, and the frustrating part about that is they were the only side dishes available at the restaurants that were dairy and gluten free.  But that's okay.  A couple of days with higher carbs isn't going to derail my plan. I don't eat out all that much (in spite of what the month of October shows in my food diary).  

I have been exercising but not alot of BBWW.  There was the 4 STRAIGHT HOURS of mowing the lawn on Wednesday... We have this beautiful deciduous tree in our front yard,  It helps keep our house cool in the summer but in fall, it rains leaves for 6 weeks straight.  We'd gotten behind in blowing leaves off the roof, gutters, bushes, etc.  So Wednesday was a huge job, i basically vacuumed up the leaves with the lawnmower and we bagged 13 lawn bags full of leaves that day.   

I was thinking about the BBWW.  Did you notice that the BBWW and the Warmup exercises are nearly identical?  So while I'm doing the Warm Up and one set of BBWW, I figured I could just cut out the warmup and do the BBWW for two sets and that's getting me further along toward my main quest.  Semantics, I know.  But it makes a difference in my brain. 

Ever heard of Flylady?  They have a little tool that you can use:  45 minutes of work and then 15 minutes to do whatever you want as a reward for being diligent.  So I've used this tool in my life for probably 15 years.  This week I'm doing 45/15's with balancing my work and cleaning house, doing laundry, etc.  It's fall and time to put summer clothes away and wash the fall stuff to hang in the closet.  That's what's on my plate today.  Well... that, and work and then hopefully tonight some sewing on Halloween costumes. 

Okay, so you've mentioned "customs" and you've mentioned being an artist . . . so now I gotta know!  What do you create?  (Besides havoc?  Because I know all about that, myself.)  Also, I grew up in Illinois (but now live in Arizona).  I kinda miss the seasons!  But I don't miss the snow!  And, I'm FLYing, too!  Have been since her wee beginnings!  :-)  You totally rock.  I know, cuz I do, and it takes a rockstar to know a rockstar.  ;-)

• Like 1

A year from now, you may wish you had started today.

Right! Well I make a couple of different types of art for my business. One is memorials from flowers, and that's the main one. The other is designs for miniaturists and hobbyists, where I teach/sell/write how-to articles in magazines.

You can most easily see what I'm talking about by going to my online shops, but I'm not sure if it's okay to post those links. I'm not trying to sell you anything!

Http://www.memorialbeads.etsy.com

And http://www.cattherien.etsy.com

Also, I grew up in Illinois (but now live in Arizona).  I kinda miss the seasons!  But I don't miss the snow!  And, I'm FLYing, too!  Have been since her wee beginnings!  :-)  You totally rock.  I know, cuz I do, and it takes a rockstar to know a rockstar.  ;-)

I was in a rush this morning and din't answer evvvvverything~

Cool that we have similar stomping grounds!  And I hear you about the snow-- I wish I could miss the snow.  :P

And coincidentally, Flylady.  I picked it up when my kids were small, then dropped it somewhere about 10 years ago, and now picking and choosing my Flying.  But great lessons to be learned.  Shine your sink!

Rockstar?  Who's a Rockstar -- I just read your BL.  You're definitely a ROCKSTAR!!  

So now that you've (almost) got your first challenge under your belt, what do you think was the most outstanding lesson you learned from it?

• Like 1

So now that you've (almost) got your first challenge under your belt, what do you think was the most outstanding lesson you learned from it?

My most important lesson from this was learning not to give up when it didn't go totally perfectly.  I tend to do that in most things in my life, and it's a serious character flaw.  Since I get to make my own character in real life role play, I decided this one doesn't give up.  ;-)

• Like 3

A year from now, you may wish you had started today.

My most important lesson from this was learning not to give up when it didn't go totally perfectly. I tend to do that in most things in my life, and it's a serious character flaw. Since I get to make my own character in real life role play, I decided this one doesn't give up. ;-)

Oh boy could we have conversations! I'm also a perfectionist and can easily slide into all-or-nothing thinking.

Okay!  So thanks to some encouragement from reading Jle's Battle Log, I actually did my BBWW.  in the afternoon.  Which may have thrown planets out of alignment, because I have never taken the time to do my workout in the afternoon.  EVARR.  If I don't do it before work starts -- yeah, not gonna get done.  But I battled that chicken and won!

10/25/14
10 squats (2 sets)

10 wall push ups (2 sets)

10 dumbbell rows (2 sets)

10 second plank (2 sets)

30 jumping jacks (2 sets)

Yesterday's food diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/cattherien?date=2014-10-25

I somehow feel like I got alot more done toward my main quest of being able to do the full BBWW, just by changing from the warmup & 1 set of BBWW to 2 sets of BBWW.  It makes me feel motivated to start working on 3 sets!  

I'm seeing visible results.  I can flex my arm and see the definition between my pectoral and deltoid and biceps. NEVER HAD THAT BEFORE IN MY LIFE.  I can't tell you how excited that makes me.  

I think I said this before, but I want to be that grandma who overhears one grandchild say to another, "Don't try to wrestle gramma.  She'll kick your ass."  Then I'll wash his mouth out with soap.  But I'll do it with a huge smile. 

• Like 2

Yesterday had a pleasant call from #2 DIL to go shopping with her.  Don't see enough of her, let alone spend any one-on-one time.  It was nice!  We looked at costumes, and went to Victoria Secret, and noticed the same hot guy at Auntie Anne's (where I did not give in to the intoxicating smell of a pretzel, even when she offered to pay).   :)

Yesterday was my not-exercising day, so I finished up a bunch of laundry for my 45/15's.  

Then last night: Remember that definition of insanity? Well it's amazing how your brain can trick you into making the same wrong choice over and over.

Me: I'm kinda hungry. But it's 9pm. I shouldn't eat or I'll have bad dreams.

My brain: well, you're eating better stuff now. It probably wouldn't be an issue. You've had fruity and veggie desserts lately that haven't seemed to cause you any problems.

Me: yeah that's true but all I've got right now is boiled chicken breast.

My brain: just chew it really well so it's easier to digest. Go on. You'll be fine.

Me: well, I suppose you're right...

Yeah. The good news is, I didn't have a single nightmare. That's because I never got into a deep enough sleep to dream. I tossed and turned all night and maybe a cumulative 3 hours of dozing. Brain, I hate you right now.  Bleh.  There will be a nap in my future this afternoon.  But I did resist the urge to try to sleep in this morning, in spite of my brain trying to talk me into THAT, too.  Nope, I needed to get up and do my weigh and measure and get this (very busy) day started. 

My weight went down 2lbs, but measurements all stayed the same from last week.  Irony is, I'd forgotten about the routine on Monday mornings and had gotten completely dressed, went downstairs and started warming up a frying pan for my breakfast, when I remembered it was weigh and measure day.  I contemplated skipping it (evil glance at my brain) but decided, no, I needed to do this if for no other reason than consistency when I look back and can't remember my progress.  When nothing had really changed (attributing that 2 lbs to water weight or whatever), my brain then gave ME the evil glance.  LOL.  It's alright.  I hadn't really expected any changes.  I'd read a post somewhere here on NF recently that said it takes longer to lose a pound of fat than it does to gain a pound of muscle.  I told my brain to take that and stuff it. 

I'm making a few housekeeping changes:  Updated my signature with a couple of links, and also to my MFP diary.  I'd realized that I was using up precious attachment memory by attaching screen shots of my diary here, and I'd read a post that suggested putting a link to your diary in your sig instead.  Solved my problem nicely.  I'll add a link to my challenge thread once I begin my first challenge.  

My plans today are the BBWW, work (!!!) and clearing out the livingroom and dining room in prep for our Sci Fi Costume Party on Friday.  I'm feeling under pressure on both, because I think I'd taken too long doing the laundry and not enough time working on all the clearing of baby toys, craft night stuff, etc.  

Usually Monday nights are Craft Night at my house.  It's something my daughter and #1 DIL started a few years ago, asking if I could host it because I had the biggest house.  Basically they and their friends and #4 DIL come to my house and everyone's working on their own craft projects.  I'm usually sewing, but sometimes claying if I've got a work deadline.  One of the girls does latch hook rugs, my daughter quilts, my #1 DIL makes baby accessories and party decor, and we've got a few knitters, crocheters, and even some who skype in from college who work on their projects with us.  It's a great group and usually we have a blast.  But tonight I'm modifying CN.  I won't cook them dinner like I usually do, and they'll have to put a folding table in the kitchen for projects while I tear the livingroom and dining room apart.  Then if there's time, I'll work on Allen's costume vest that I still have not started!

Well I kinda had a crit fail on my BBWW yesterday.  As in, didn't really do it.  What I did do was move furniture, go up and down 3 sets of stairs a gazillion times, and completely rearrange my livingroom & diningroom to accommodate a house full of people. Then I played Kinect Adventures river rafting game with my granddaughter.  So I was very active but also very low impact and didn't even break a sweat.  Got into the shower last night and remembered I hadn't done my wall push ups.  In my completely exhausted state it occurred to me that there are walls everywhere.  Even in my shower.  So yeap, I did my push ups in there.  Whatever works, yanno?

Today I was on my feet again all day.  We have an obscenely big kitchen in my house.  It was the one thing that I loved about it when we were looking at houses.  Well, it's also a really good place for clutter to accumulate.  My sewing stuff is there, and so are the washer, 3 high chairs for the grandkids, etc.  So I spent the day doing dishes and cleaning out cupboards and washing linens.  Again lightly active but constantly moving.  

I ate okay today, although second day in a row I skipped dinner.  I know, right??!!  I just got busy and lost track of time.  I will say this, though:  I loved having fish and asparagus for lunch.  Want my recipe?  Super super easy.  

Prep time: 3 minutes

Cook time:  3-10 minutes, depending on thickness of fish filet

Ingredients:

1 frozen fish filet (I like Swai, but any white-fleshed individually wrapped filet will work)
1-2 tsp. Ghee (or butter, if you prefer.  I'm lactose intolerant so I use homemade Ghee)
1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning (more or less, to taste)

1 bag steam fresh asparagus (or any preferred vegetable)

Take frozen filet out of individually wrapped plastic and plonk it on a plate.  Put pat of Ghee or butter on top of filet.  Sprinkle filet with lemon pepper seasoning to taste.  Wrap plate completely with microwaveable plastic wrap.  Place in microwave with bag of frozen steam fresh veggies.  Nuke 3-10 minutes or so, depending on how thick your fish filet is.  Allow fish to cool for about 5 minutes with plastic wrap still on.  Then remove plastic wrap, open bag of veggies, pour veggies onto plate and mix them around in the lemon pepper sauce that has formed on the plate.  Dig in and enjoy!

I DID IT!! YES!!

This morning I did a 3rd set of the BBWW! I'm working towards doing the full thing from Steve's list, and here's what i did this morning:

3 sets of 10 squats

3 sets of 10 wall push ups

3 sets of 5 lunges

3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows

3 sets of 10 second plank

3 sets of 30 jumping jacks

I'm so proud of myself. This was a very big deal because from the time I started doing the BBWW, I didn't think I could do 3 sets, even of my modified version. Kept talking myself out of it because I thought I'd fail and not be able to complete it.

But this morning I was like, I should just do it and see how far I get. At least then I'd know what I could and and couldn't do.

So all my mental holding back and afraid to try was for nothing. Old tapes man, old tapes. Getting victory feels sooooo good!

• Like 1

Hahha.  Love it.  And you're so right, Dahling.  

I always think of Elastigirl.  Okay this is so OT and random but your forum name just brings it out every time.  

I have her shape.  OMG those thighs.  Yep.  Literally the widest part of me.  Otherwise, I'm not too bad;  Not trim and rippled with muscle yet, but not hard on the eyes, either.  But I've got EG's thighs.  Skinny jeans or jeggings?  Sure-- if my top's long enough.  I can rock it with a miniskirt as long as it covers those dreaded thunder thighs!

But then I remember Elastigirl.  Seriously, not a bad looking chickie.  And she didn't focus on her thighs.  She focused on what she COULD do, not what she couldn't (freaking out with Edna over costumes notwithstanding).  

Way to go on working up to your 3rd set of the BBWW!!!

Thanks, Shae!  Coincidentally I had just read Steve's new blog post on motivation.  Boy, did he peg it.  So much of what we're capable of gets hidden under layers of what we're afraid of.  

Last couple of days have been.... well, if cloning was actually available, I'd have been first in line to get one or twelve.  Actually, I take that back.  I'd need a clone to stand in line for me to get one or twelve...

Thursday was more or less a complete wreck, as I tried to get orders out the door for my customers, then went shopping with the Hubs for all the stuff we needed for the party.  I still had cleaning to do in public areas of the house, all the decorating to do, etc.  Allen's costume wasn't finished.  Hell, I didn't even know what I was gonna wear!!  Well okay I had some idea, it was gonna be one of my corsets and a steampunk style costume.  But I could go so many directions with it and I hadn't decided what I wanted to do yet.  

Friday I was up at 4:30 am to get ready for the day.  We're temporarily down to one car, so I had to get my hunny to work in order to have the car for the day.  I had fully intended on doing my workout!  But once again I procrastinated.  Boo.  I was juggling cats all day so I don't feel too horribly bad about it.  Being active and being on my feet is way different than sitting on my arse all day, right?

Our daughter came over to help decorate, which was huge.  I decided on my most comfortable corset and went old-style Gilmore Girl.  It worked.  Photos as soon as I can get them off Allen's phone.  The party was a huge success, people were really happy, and we got it all cleaned up before falling into bed exhausted.  

Pics soon! 

Hahha.  Love it.  And you're so right, Dahling.  

I always think of Elastigirl.  Okay this is so OT and random but your forum name just brings it out every time.  

I have her shape.  OMG those thighs.  Yep.  Literally the widest part of me.  Otherwise, I'm not too bad;  Not trim and rippled with muscle yet, but not hard on the eyes, either.  But I've got EG's thighs.  Skinny jeans or jeggings?  Sure-- if my top's long enough.  I can rock it with a miniskirt as long as it covers those dreaded thunder thighs!

But then I remember Elastigirl.  Seriously, not a bad looking chickie.  And she didn't focus on her thighs.  She focused on what she COULD do, not what she couldn't (freaking out with Edna over costumes notwithstanding).  

Haha. Dahling, Edna cracks me up. And I love Elastigirl's attitude. She  very much personified the superheroine turned mom then when she needed to, being ready to save the world again. Which is why I love her and chose her.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27