Granny Nogg, on 04 Jun 2015 - 1:10 PM, said: I heart you. You wanna come be one of my daughters? I'd adopt. [emoji12] Bikini pics - actually, you're on! Allen and i are doing a bikini and grass skirt photo shoot tomorrow, for my birthday invitations. I turn the Big 5-0 next Friday, and my party is going to be Hawaiian style rather than a dirge like most 50th birthday parties. I feel like, next 50? Bring it, baby! So whenever he gets the pics edited, I'll post one in here. Played disc golf today, had a fantastic first nine, but then kinda tanked the second half. But I still meet my average for that course, so I'm not unhappy. I feel like I'm right on the edge of a growth spurt with the sport. I downsized my speed on my drivers - from an 11 all the way down to a 7. But that have me more predictable control, so I'm still driving as far as I was before, only because the discs I'd been throwing before were too overpowered for me. Discing down was the right answer. Like you said, Raz- form means everything! I'm getting about 3 miles a day playing disc golf, so i think i just need to focus on my upper body workout. Push ups, planks, rows. Makes it all very doable. I'm thinking my summer challenge will be just that - disc golf every day (or at least 5x a week, allowing for weather & scheduling conflicts) and upper body 3x a week. Also - I'm caught up with work! Woohoo!! Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

I'm in the market for families so yes, daughter yours, me love to be. 8D

I'm totally waiting on those bikini pics, girlfriend! I canNOT believe you're turning 50! No way. Nope. Nuh uh. I mean, I'm pretty terrible at guessing ages, but I can usually ballpark it within 5 years. I would never have guessed you to be 50. Not in a million years. That is AWESOME BABY! Time to do a victory dance with silk ribbons and bongo drums! Sorry for the late reply but, heh, you've seen my thread. Life is freaking nuts atm. So yeah. Keep killing it!

P.S. If this thread looks odd, I apologize. THe forum is doing something weird.

• Like 1

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

I'm in the market for families so yes, daughter yours, me love to be. 8D

I'm totally waiting on those bikini pics, girlfriend! I canNOT believe you're turning 50! No way. Nope. Nuh uh. I mean, I'm pretty terrible at guessing ages, but I can usually ballpark it within 5 years. I would never have guessed you to be 50. Not in a million years. That is AWESOME BABY! Time to do a victory dance with silk ribbons and bongo drums! Sorry for the late reply but, heh, you've seen my thread. Life is freaking nuts atm. So yeah. Keep killing it!

P.S. If this thread looks odd, I apologize. THe forum is doing something weird.

We haven't done the bikini pics yet, I have to confess. Got busy that day and ran out of time. But it's still gonna happen before the end of the challenge.

I get the whole shopping for a new family bit. Cyberdaughter now you be. Hugglesquish.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Weekly Challenge Summaries for Challenge #6

Main Quest: to play at least one round (18 holes) of disc golf EVERY DAY. That's 3.5 miles of walking per round.  If the weather doesn't permit, then I make 100 putts into the temporary basket. Or both if I'm feeling particularly outstanding!

Measurement:  42 games of disc golf in 6 weeks: +5 DEX.  35 games of disc golf in 6 weeks: +3 DEX.  20 games of disc golf in 6 weeks: +1 DEX. 

2nd Quest: to eat protein for breakfast.  GRONK NEED PROTEIN!  I don't care whether it's a whole bag of edamame, a microwaved chicken breast, or leftover ham from dinner.  But I need to get at least 20 grams of protein in me at the start of my day! 

Measurement: 42 protein breakfasts in 6 weeks: +5 STA.  35 protein breakfasts in 6 weeks: +3 STA.  20 protein breakfasts in 6 weeks: +1 STA. 

Life Quest:  to post a bikini photo shoot set at some point in the 6 week challenge (Hear that, Razzy?!!).  I'm delighted to be healthy and energetic and athletic at 50!

Measurement:  3 bikini photos: +5 CHA.  2 bikini photos: +3 CHA.  1 bikini photo: +1 CHA.

Week 1 Summary: 5 games of disc golf, 4 sets of 100 putts, protein at breakfast every day, no bikini photo shoot.

Week 2 Summary: Birthday Party!  All prep was done, huzzah!  3 games of disc golf, joined a disc golf league that has weekly games on Thursdays, did 100 putts 3x, protein at breakfast 6 days, no bikini photo shoot yet. 

Week 3 Summary: Played in a nighttime disc golf tournament and came in 3rd place in the women's division, played disc golf 4 other times, did 100 putts 2x, returned to BBWW in addition to disc golf. Protein at breakfast 6 days, no bikini photo shoot yet. 

Week 4 Summary: Did my first barbell squats, just learning how to do the squat properly with only the weight of the bar. I did 3 sets of 3. Did all the BBWW exercises except walking lunges. In disc golf, I made a 200 foot drive!  That's amazing for my skill level. Played 3 rounds of disc golf and 2 of 100 putts.  Prep for going to a conference made less time to play. 

Week 5 Summary: Was at a conference all week.  Played the front nine at a course near our motel, and did 100 putts one time.  Otherwise just too much happening to have alot of free time.  But I walked my arse off all over that conference campus, lemme tellya.

Week 6 Summary: Came home from the conference and promptly got some sort of virus.  Not uncommon when spending a week with 2700 people.  I remember hearing lots of coughing and thinking to myself, "oh great..." !  Then on the last day of the challenge, hubby and I were in a car accident; the other driver tried to make a left hand turn across our lane.  I've got a cervical sprain, and so the next challenge will be a recovery challenge.  My chiropractor (who is also a weight lifter) said no disc golf, weight lifting, BBWW at all for at least 8 weeks!  She said I could walk but that's it. But maybe as I progress she'll give me things to do. 

Whole challenge summary:

Main Quest - 15.5 games of disc golf out of 42.  +1 Dex.  12 rounds of 100 putts, bonus +1 Dex

Second quest - Ate protein at EVERY BREAKFAST for the whole 6 weeks.  BOOOYAH! +5 Sta

Life Quest - Did no bikini shoot. So no CHA points. But I'm rolling this one into my next challenge.

Okay, I've got my new challenge thread up.  This one is alot about how I deal with difficult circumstances, and it's gonna probably get a little raw.  

Main Quest: Create a plan to rehabilitate physically.  

Part of this plan will be to keep all doctor appointments, ask probing questions about my condition to make sure I completely understand what is being said, and make a plan to work my body back to it's previous state (or better!), whether that involves physical therapy or other forms of physical activity.  

Measurement:  Keeping all appointments, making a plan for physical therapy, and following through on regaining my physical abilities: +5 Con

Second Quest: Keeping it real.

Part of this plan will be to recognize when I'm tempted toward using my injury for greed, and reaching out to my accountability people when those thoughts come.  Same thing when I can't do something I want to do because of the injury-- recognizing when I'm tempted to hold my anger or frustration inside and nurse it into a cold resentment.  I will choose not to either minimize my injury in order to speed the process toward playing disc golf or working out, nor play it up for laziness or to get out of a responsibility or to get sympathy.

Measurement:  Reaching out to my accountability team, attending all recovery meetings, and refusing to fall into psychological traps or acting out: +5 Wis 

Weekly challenge summaries: 

Week 1:  Main Quest - Had a setback with pinched nerve/nerves affecting my right hand.  I did keep all doctor appointments.  Only took pain medications as needed.  Kept all chiropractic appointments. Scheduled a nerve conduction study.  No physical therapy until after the NCS is done.  Second Quest -- dealt with the greed/anger/frustration by going to God in prayer and laying that down.  Making myself accountable has helped.  Trying to accept where I'm at with the pain or lack of pain; with the process of healing.  Praying for patience!

Week 2: Main Quest -- pain/pinched nerve or nerves in right hand/wrist is better.  Kept all doctor and chiro appointments.  Completely off pain meds.  Second Quest -- got back to daily bible reading and prayer, feeling more at peace with the process.  Looking forward to milestones in healing.  Heard good news about auto claim from insurance company.  

Week 3: 

Week 4: 

Week 5: 

Week 6:

Final Challenge Summary: 

hahahah.  Oh Raz, you crack me up and you lift my spirits.  One of the things I like about you (and there are many) is your sense of humor.  I love the way you write, and when you're encouraging other people your sense of humor flows.  Thank you, my friend.  <3

• Like 1

hahahah.  Oh Raz, you crack me up and you lift my spirits.  One of the things I like about you (and there are many) is your sense of humor.  I love the way you write, and when you're encouraging other people your sense of humor flows.  Thank you, my friend.  <3

Ah! Well then, thank you milady! *sweeping bow*

Now you've put me on the spot and I can't think of something hilarious to say. Um...Oh look a distraction!

Gah! Stop following me!

• Like 1

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

I absolutely, positively refuse to go gray.  So I've been dyeing my hair using commercial (drugstore) brands for decades.  However, I'm well aware of how damaging they can be, and I was looking for an alternative.  

I'd stumbled onto a blog post that mentioned using brewed coffee to naturally dye brunette hair.  Curious, I went looking, and yeah.  It's actually a thing.  

Yesterday I conducted an experiment to dye my hair naturally, using a black tea and strong coffee process.  Results: yes, this actually worked for me.  And yes, it did tint my gray hair so that it's not as noticeable!  

This photo shows side-by-side comparisons of before and after.  I agree with someone who'd said the photo comparison would have been better had I used a controlled light source (indoor lighting) rather than the overcast sunlight.  So when I do this again, I'll take another series of (indoor) before and after shots to compare the effects of dyeing with this method.  

The process is simple, just messy.  So here's how you can do it:
Step 1:  Bring 6 cups of water to boil, then remove the pan from heat and add 10 black tea (Lipton, for example) tea bags (leaving the paper tags to hang outside the pot).  The tannins naturally present in tea will open the cuticle of your hair, allowing the coffee to dye the hair a deeper shade.   
Step 2:  Prepare a pot (6 cups) of very dark black coffee.  Double or triple the amount of coffee grounds. You will use both the coffee and the grounds.  
Step 3:  Prepare a bowl (4 cups) of water, with 1-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (more for oily hair, less for dry hair).  Optional things to add to the rinse: aloe vera, vegetable glycerin (1 tablespoon each), plain gelatin (1 package boiled in 2 cups of water), essential oil of your choice.  
Step 4:  once the tea and coffee have cooled, remove the tea bags from the pan (squeeze the extra tea out of the bags).  Then get a very large bowl (large enough for your head) and put it in the bath tub or sink.  You'll want a disposable plastic shower cap (or a plastic grocery sack and a hair clip) and a dark towel that you don't mind getting stained.  You'll also want a cup or mug, to pour the liquids over your head.  
Step 5:  Pour the cooled tea into the large bowl.  Bend over the sink and begin scooping the tea over your dry hair, allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl.  Continue pouring tea over your head repeatedly, until you're sure your hair is completely saturated.
Step 6: without squeezing the excess liquid out of your hair, put the shower cap (or plastic grocery sack) on your dripping wet hair.  (Best to do this over the bowl).  Then wrap the towel over the shower cap and sit somewhere warm (out in the sunshine or near a heat source, or just don't worry about this part.  The heat does help intensify the dyeing process, though.)  Wait 30 minutes.  
Step 7:  Pour the excess tea down the drain and put the brewed coffee plus coffee grounds in the bowl.  Take the towel and shower cap off your head, and bend over the bowl once more.  Scoop the coffee and grounds over your head, making sure to really get the whole hair completely saturated with the coffee and grounds.  It feels terrible, yes.  Just do it.  Once you're sure your hair is completely covered in coffe and grounds, replace the shower cap and towel, then sit in a warm place for an hour.  Don't throw out the leftover coffee and grounds!  They have multiple uses- scouring dishes, hiding scratches on furniture, pour around your outdoor plants to repel ants and slugs, etc.
Step 8:  You may want to do this next step over a trash can or outdoors.  Taking off the towel and shower cap, try to remove as much of the coffee grounds as you can from your hair.  Discard the plastic shower cap. Then return indoors and rinse the coffee, remaining grounds, and tea out of your hair under warm running water.  This will take awhile, so be thorough.  
Step 9:  Pour the ACV rinse mixture into the bowl, and scoop that over your hair, again completely saturating your hair. Wait 2-3 minutes, then rinse completely.  The apple cider vinegar smell will go away once your hair is dry, trust me.  It'll smell slightly of coffee but that's it.  
Step 10: dry and style as usual.  

Final notes:  the tea and coffee dyeing process is cumulative, so the more times you do it, the darker the results.  How many times you'll need to do this for maintenance is individual, so you'll want to experiment to see what works best for you.

Also, the caffeine in the tea and coffee will stimulate your hair follicles to increase hair growth, so that your hair will get longer faster, and will help with hair loss if that's something you struggle with. The amount of caffeine absorbed by your scalp is minimal -- no more than about the same amount as a cup of regular coffee. 

If you struggle with dandruff, dry frizzy hair, or alot of breakage, the ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse should help with that -- but be careful, as it's an acid and could be damaging if you overdid it.  Its recommended no more often than once or twice a week for oily hair, and once every other week for dry hair.  It makes a good clarifying rinse, too, for removing product buildup and the effects of hard water.  

If you have very dry hair, try using just your conditioner when you wash your hair.  You'd be amazingly surprised at how effective it is at cleaning the dirt and oils from your hair.  It won't leave your hair feeling greasy at all.  Also, if you struggle with alot of frizz, you can use plain coconut oil or olive oil, 1-2 teaspoons depending on the length and thickness of your hair, as a leave-in conditioner.  Just towel dry as usual, then pour a scant 1/2 teaspoon of oil onto your palms, and rub your hands together rapidly until you feel the heat.  Then comb your hands through your hair, from midway down on through to the ends, paying special attention to the ends.  Repeat until you've used all the oil.

There's also a recipe for making your own coffee oil (to use as a mask, hot oil treatment, frizz reducer, etc) at this link:  http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/index.php/2012/09/10/coffee-hair-growth-secrets/

• Like 2

wow, that is really pretty. I think I have more gray than you though, so I'm not sure if it would work. I know the dyes aren't good for me, but so far vanity is winning. I like how it took away the frizzies too, because that is part of the issue with the gray.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Well if it doesn't help with the gray over the long haul for me and I have to go back to drugstore hair dyes, maybe the coffee will extend the amount of time I can go between dye jobs, and therefore reduce the damage to my hair.

Yes to the frizzies! That first few days after a dye job, my hair behaves great. After the first wash... Notsomuch...

I use henna on my hair - it is also natural (and messy), much cheaper than dye (at least at the salon), and good for my hair. It looks more natural because the dye molecules bond to the hair proteins inside the shaft, so the color is on the inside of your hair shaft just like your own natural hair color. That also makes it more or less permanent = no fading, but you'd better like the color, because you're stuck with it.

I'm a natural redhead, so henna works great for me, although I cut mine with cassia to get a copper color. I know there are people who add other plant dyes to it to get brunette hair colors. Henna for Hair has tons of info for anyone who's curious. One caveat - it's important to use body art quality henna. Many things marketed as henna have mineral salts in them which are terrible for your hair.

• Like 1

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

I use henna on my hair - it is also natural (and messy), much cheaper than dye (at least at the salon), and good for my hair. It looks more natural because the dye molecules bond to the hair proteins inside the shaft, so the color is on the inside of your hair shaft just like your own natural hair color. That also makes it more or less permanent = no fading, but you'd better like the color, because you're stuck with it.

I'm a natural redhead, so henna works great for me, although I cut mine with cassia to get a copper color. I know there are people who add other plant dyes to it to get brunette hair colors. Henna for Hair has tons of info for anyone who's curious. One caveat - it's important to use body art quality henna. Many things marketed as henna have mineral salts in them which are terrible for your hair.

I'd considered henna but doesn't it get into your blood stream? I heard something about that somewhere.

Yeah it was articles like this one that turned me away from using henna, just because of the risk factors. 

So I read that same article last night, plus a couple of others. They reiterate what I've heard, that it's not the henna that's a problem, it's additives like mineral salts (and lead!) that some manufacturers put in the henna. The place I get it from, Henna for Hair, uses only pure henna which is certified to be free of additives, so I'm not concerned. I wouldn't buy it from just any place, though.

• Like 1

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

Right!  So that's what makes me wary, because what they said about the FDA not regulating it and the claims that someone makes about their product being pure could potentially be totally bogus.  Not saying the company you buy yours from is or isn't!  Just saying that it concerns me more about even if the product is pure, the processing might not be, for example the potential for bacteria from un-hygenic handling of the product or something.  

At least with the tea and coffee hair dye, those are more regulated by the FDA.  Not saying that's foolproof at all, just that the risks seem to be lower. 

But I was reading further about using those as hair dyes, hair oils, etc.  One of the things that's cropping up is using the coffee too much.  While it's not highly acidic, it can damage your hair if used too much, like daily in a spray bottle.  Some people have found that it had the opposite effects they were going for.  For example, some people use it to speed growth of their hair.  But overuse can result in actually stalling the growth cycle of the hair shaft in such a way that the hair stops growing or slows down significantly.  Others who were using it to reduce hair shedding found that overuse actually increased the shed.  

So somewhere in there is a sweet spot, and it's individual for each person, depending on what you're using the coffee for.  Me, I'd like all 3 bennies, so I'm going to be a bit more cautious with it I think.  I'm cooking up that coffee oil to use as a hot oil treatment once every week or two.  It likely will also have the dyeing effect on my roots which is why I turned to it in the first place.  

Side note, even Grandpa Nogg said that he was surprised the coffee actually darkened my gray.  It looks like highlights now, even after one co-wash.  

• Like 1

Hi Granny Nogg, I just happened to look at your site "Memorial Beads" --- are you really making those beads? They are so pretty, and it is such a lovely idea of preserving memorable moments by putting the flowers into beads. You truly are an artist! 

Maybe I can still find the little box where I keep the petals of the very first red rose my husband gave me when we were still dating...  :sentimental:

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Hi Granny Nogg, I just happened to look at your site "Memorial Beads" --- are you really making those beads? They are so pretty, and it is such a lovely idea of preserving memorable moments by putting the flowers into beads. You truly are an artist! 

Maybe I can still find the little box where I keep the petals of the very first red rose my husband gave me when we were still dating...  :sentimental:

Oh!  Yes I do still make those beads, thank you for the compliment and the sentiment-- I agree, they're something that's truly a blessing to others.  

Trivia:  the oldest flowers I ever worked with were for a woman who's grandmother kept her wedding flowers.  They were married 61 years before her husband passed, and I was able to make keepsakes from those flowers.  

• Like 1

Oh!  Yes I do still make those beads, thank you for the compliment and the sentiment-- I agree, they're something that's truly a blessing to others.  

Trivia:  the oldest flowers I ever worked with were for a woman who's grandmother kept her wedding flowers.  They were married 61 years before her husband passed, and I was able to make keepsakes from those flowers.  

Wow... what an honor to work with something so precious! I probably would've been terrified of crumbling them! I used to do dried-flower arrangements for our town's local fall festival and I know how delicate they can be. That's awesome you got that opportunity. Beyond doubt that you are awesome at your work. I can't imagine anyone trusting such keepsakes to anyone but a master.

*bows humbly*

I'm very sorry it's been such a while since I dropped in. T_T Life got ahold of me and I totally blew most of my gains in 2 months. I gained about 7lbs and it was all just bad eating. So I've decided I had better just reset and respawn and that includes staying up-to-date with my fellow NerdFriends!

• Like 1

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

Wow... what an honor to work with something so precious! I probably would've been terrified of crumbling them! I used to do dried-flower arrangements for our town's local fall festival and I know how delicate they can be. That's awesome you got that opportunity. Beyond doubt that you are awesome at your work. I can't imagine anyone trusting such keepsakes to anyone but a master.

*bows humbly*

I'm very sorry it's been such a while since I dropped in. T_T Life got ahold of me and I totally blew most of my gains in 2 months. I gained about 7lbs and it was all just bad eating. So I've decided I had better just reset and respawn and that includes staying up-to-date with my fellow NerdFriends!

Well, I have to admit, it did kinda feel nice to know that you had struggled and respawned. I know it's been months since you wrote this (and I'll go stalk your battle log in a minute). But since you're one of my workout heroes, it's also nice to know you don't come by it easily, either. ..

Lots to say but later. For now, hello. Give us a squnch. (Grown up

*bows humbly*

Well, I have to admit, it did kinda feel nice to know that you had struggled and respawned. I know it's been months since you wrote this (and I'll go stalk your battle log in a minute). But since you're one of my workout heroes, it's also nice to know you don't come by it easily, either. ..

Lots to say but later. For now, hello. Give us a squnch. (Grown up Wendy from the movie "Hook")

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

While I was gone, I gained 10 lbs. Oh, I half heartedly logged my food and made attempts at the BBWW. But I struggled to keep it up.

So why did I leave NF? A combination of reasons. The car accident, work stress, feeling overwhelmed. And feeling like I needed more than the online community could give.

I started going to a therapist in September. And shortly after I joined a local TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) chapter.

I appreciate the accountability that's built into the club by weigh ins, financial incentives, and a sense of community, but as TOPS is mostly older women (I'm one of the youngest, at 50), there isn't a strong focus on physical fitness. I need more than TOPS can provide.

So that's what brings my thoughts back to NF. Here, even though many people are younger and I can't keep up with the guild challenges, at least there are older people who understand the need to regularly exercise beyond just walking the mall.

Oh I'm feeling so much better today. Amazing the difference a day makes. Yesterday I barely left the couch; today I washed dishes and baked bacon and made homemade spaghetti sauce and helped Allen package 10 lbs of hamburger and 10 lbs of bacon for the freezer.

Okay, when I run it all together like that, it sounds way more manic than it was.

This morning I spent time catching up on orders with customers, then cleaned up the kitchen table. Had some water to sip on and a few soda crackers.

In the afternoon I washed the dishes and cleaned one of the fridges (oh. Yeah had forgotten to add that to the list). The bacon was cooking in the oven at the same time, so it was killing two birds with one time slot. I also had a few more crackers and was mindful about sipping water.

When Allen came home, he portioned out the hamburger into quart size sections and I bagged n' tagged 'em. While I finished up the bacon, he seasoned the pasta sauce, then we bagged the uncooked bacon, and he took everything out to the chest freezer while I cooked the noodles.

We work well together in the kitchen and usually have very intellectually stimulating conversation. Or if the housework music is on, sometimes we're dancing as well as emptying the dishwasher. Things like that make the work light!

I had some spaghetti and Tuscan veggies for dinner, and my tummy is fine. Sigh of relief. Kept my calories down; they were only 957. But that's because I didn't really have much to eat earlier today.

I didn't wear my Fitbit, so probable steps are somewhere in the two mile mark. I was on my feet allot today. Water was 4 cups. Still need more than that though.