Glad you're back. Hope you feel better soon.All that food sounds so yummy. We went to the butcher today and bought hamburger, bacon, top round and a prime rib for Christmas eve

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thanks! I'd had either a 24 hour stomach flu or got something bad at the Mexican restaurant Sunday afternoon. I'd had to send my steak sandwich back 2 times, because they put sour cream on it the first time (which wasn't included in the description of the dish in the menu). I told the server I was lactose intolerant, but I think he didn't understand, because he asked me if I didn't like sour cream. I tried to say I was allergic, and gave him the plate. Second time, the sandwich has no sour cream but now has shredded cheese. By this point I'm realizing they don't comprehend. So I said no cream, no cheese, no butter. The sandwich then comes back without the guacamole, onion, or bell peppers that were on the sandwich the first time. It's just a Philly steak with a ton of lettuce. At this point everyone else at the table was nearly done so I just ate it.

But it made me wonder, because the next morning I was sicker than a dog and ended up in the Er because I couldn't stop throwing up. Thank God for Zofran! It's worth the screaming headache side effect just to be no longer nauseated.

Yesterday I mostly slept and binge watched NCIS. Today, almost normal!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Thanks! I'd had either a 24 hour stomach flu or got something bad at the Mexican restaurant Sunday afternoon. I'd had to send my steak sandwich back 2 times, because they put sour cream on it the first time (which wasn't included in the description of the dish in the menu). I told the server I was lactose intolerant, but I think he didn't understand, because he asked me if I didn't like sour cream. I tried to say I was allergic, and gave him the plate. Second time, the sandwich has no sour cream but now has shredded cheese. By this point I'm realizing they don't comprehend. So I said no cream, no cheese, no butter. The sandwich then comes back without the guacamole, onion, or bell peppers that were on the sandwich the first time. It's just a Philly steak with a ton of lettuce. At this point everyone else at the table was nearly done so I just ate it.

But it made me wonder, because the next morning I was sicker than a dog and ended up in the Er because I couldn't stop throwing up. Thank God for Zofran! It's worth the screaming headache side effect just to be no longer nauseated.

Yesterday I mostly slept and binge watched NCIS. Today, almost normal!

I've had these kind of conversations before. So frustrating. I order something and ask for no cheese because I can't do dairy, and then it they bring it loaded with sour cream. 

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've had these kind of conversations before. So frustrating. I order something and ask for no cheese because I can't do dairy, and then it they bring it loaded with sour cream.

^This!!!

I'm practicing to not be (as) embarrassed about asking for what I need at restaurants. Sometimes a nicer restaurant will have an allergens menu which saves allot of time and awkwardness. But most places we can afford to eat at, do not. So it does happen that I have to send a plate back at least once, every 2nd or 3rd eating out. I'm also learning not to be (as) codependent with my fellow diners' emotions and take on their embarrassment at the situation, especially when people at other tables stop and look at us.

I do have to send wait staff back to the kitchen and ask about ingredients. This happens every time. A sandwich may not have cheese but they use butter on the bun. A soup may have cream, coleslaw may have milk, salads may have cheese, dressings may have both. ..on and on. Fortunately family and 90%of my friends know about the intolerance so they expect the delay. But yeah.

I always have Gas-X strips and lactase chews on hand.

Do you have any advice or suggestions?

Oh! And Merry Christmas!! I'll bet you'll do great cooking a prime rib for the first time. [emoji1]

^This!!!

I'm practicing to not be (as) embarrassed about asking for what I need at restaurants. Sometimes a nicer restaurant will have an allergens menu which saves allot of time and awkwardness. But most places we can afford to eat at, do not. So it does happen that I have to send a plate back at least once, every 2nd or 3rd eating out. I'm also learning not to be (as) codependent with my fellow diners' emotions and take on their embarrassment at the situation, especially when people at other tables stop and look at us.

I do have to send wait staff back to the kitchen and ask about ingredients. This happens every time. A sandwich may not have cheese but they use butter on the bun. A soup may have cream, coleslaw may have milk, salads may have cheese, dressings may have both. ..on and on. Fortunately family and 90%of my friends know about the intolerance so they expect the delay. But yeah.

I always have Gas-X strips and lactase chews on hand.

Do you have any advice or suggestions?

Oh! And Merry Christmas!! I'll bet you'll do great cooking a prime rib for the first time. [emoji1]

Sounds like our experiences are similar. A lot of it is me not being embarrassed to send something back, and working at being super clear when I order ( not that that always works) Then when I went no gluten, sigh, even more trouble ordering. I do try and look at menus before I go so I have some ideas. And we have our favorite restaurants, that I know will prepare the food the way I need. A lot of times at restaurants I will just take a lactaid with my meal, just in case it has hidden milk.

• Like 1

Last night was our family's gift exchange Christmas party. All our kids were able to be here, and we had a wonderful time. Two of our sons, and one son's family are staying over for a week.

One of our middle sons had drawn my name for Christmas. When he asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I said I'd like some skin care and makeup things. He thought it was a little unusual a request. And overwhelming to fulfill. Understandable! Way too many choices out there.

I've been doing allot of research on skin care and makeup for mature skin. I've learned that not only products, but also techniques, should be different after the age of 50.

There's a website, Paula's Choice, that does detailed reviews and ratings on skin care and makeup products, from high end to drugstore.

So what motivated me to tell my son I wanted skin care and makeup was discovering that a) I haven't taken good enough care of my skin for decades and I have some inflammation, dryness, and sun damage. And B) most of the products that I have been using aren't good for my sensitive skin.

Paula's Choice helped me to find quality products aimed at my skin type. The experts' premise is that just because a product has a big price tag DOESN'T necessarily mean the quality is better than lesser priced items. So they treat M.A.C and Revlon equally. I was able to find things for my son to buy that I can be confident in using. I'm kind of looking forward to the chore of starting an actual skin care routine. I'm hoping getting better products will reduce my sun spots and rosacea.

Today I had a subway blt on flat bread, no cheese. Spinach and tomato and light mayo. Dinner was leftover ham, seafood dip, and crackers. Dessert was a melon and berry salad with thin wafer pizelle cookies, and a little popcorn.

Oh! A young friend who's also lactose intolerant had heard I'd recently become a Costco member. She tells me they carry a sheep's milk cheese called Manchego. Her family likes it and she tolerates it well. I'd excitedly picked some up and we tried it yesterday. I'm being cautious ands also taking lactase pills with it. But so far, I'm not having a bad reaction to it. This excites me to a huge degree!! I can't wait to try it grated onto steamed vegetables, melted into a grilled cheese sandwich, or bubbling top of a pizza.

Calories were 1523, steps were 3286, and water was 4 cups.

Sheep's cheese, at least the ones I've tried, doesn't melt well, but it's perfect for grating. Let us know how it works for pizza, that would make my life so much better.

I've been able to tolerate goats cheese too, but you might have to go to an ethnic deli for that.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I'll have to check out that website. Great job at staying in calories. I have heard the same thing about sheep's milk cheese, but I'm afraid to try it. But I really miss cheese, so I might try.

Sheep's cheese, at least the ones I've tried, doesn't melt well, but it's perfect for grating. Let us know how it works for pizza, that would make my life so much better.

I've been able to tolerate goats cheese too, but you might have to go to an ethnic deli for that.

Thanks for the heads-up on the melting issue with the sheep's cheese, Sloth.  I will certainly post when I do the pizza how it goes.  

I have tried the chevre goat cheese, but the bitterness of the cheese got to me.  Do you happen to know if they make hard cheeses out of goat's milk?

I'll have to check out that website. Great job at staying in calories. I have heard the same thing about sheep's milk cheese, but I'm afraid to try it. But I really miss cheese, so I might try.

I've been continuing to take a dairy pill when I eat the sheep's cheese, and I've had some every day since Saturday, about an ounce.  So far, I've had literally no negative response to it, gastronomically.  This excites me to no end.  

Today's update: 

We had a really bad ice storm today. Ice and sleet and rain, it was just above freezing temperature, and 30-40 mph winds. My neighbor on the corner, her ginormous pine tree uprooted and fell over. Fortunately it fell away from the house rather than smashing into the garage! It made me give the stink eye to the big walnut tree in my front yard. "Don't you even think about it," I muttered at the tree as I passed. I'd had a meeting with a customer scheduled for this morning, but with the bad weather we postponed it. She was glad, as her mom was planning to drive into town and she was worried for her. That freed up my morning so I got the last of the dishes washed up.

Well, continuing on what I was talking about yesterday with makeup and skin care, I had a couple more things I wanted to get, so I braved the wind and sleet today, and ran over to Walmart and Ulta. There were a couple of things I still couldn't find so I ordered them from Amazon. I have the Prime membership, and can't recommend it highly enough. I didn't think I'd use it enough to cover the membership, but found that indeed I do.

Back to skin care.... Maybe it's my imagination, but since I stopped washing my face with bar soap the other day and started using a cleanser and exfoliating, I've already noticed a difference in how my skin feels. It isn't dry or flaky. And my makeup hasn't settled into my creases. In fact, I'm a touch shiny. Way better than looking like a dusty Corpse Bride.

Food - For breakfast I had a slight variation on my chicken wrap: still steamed chicken breast cut into strips, but also 1/2 cup of chopped kale, 1 slice of cooked bacon, and 1 tbsp of light mayo, all rolled inside the tortilla. It was pretty good, but felt like I needed something. Probably missing the guacamole! But I was worried about calories so I left that off. Next time I'll add it back in, I think.

I got busy with chores and then going shopping, so I skipped lunch. Forgot about it completely, and I wasn't hungry, so it was 4pm before I realized I hadn't eaten. So for afternoon snack I had a can of low-sodium V8 juice, a half of a pretzel demi-loaf, (about the size of a pretzel roll, or slightly less), and an ounce of Manchego cheese. While I munched on that, I made a turkey and gnocchi soup for dinner with grilled jack cheese sandwiches. was full from my snack, so just had a mug of the turkey broth for dinner. I started taking a fiber supplement, nothing really special, just a psyllium husk capsule, one gram per meal. But it all adds up! And it will help with the roving hunger I sometimes struggle with. So I wasn't really that hungry. Calories today were 1135 (gross, not net)! Steps were 2580, and water was 6 cups (YAY!).

Life - Allen is having surgery on Wednesday. He's got a bone spur in his heel, but instead of it sticking down at the bottom like spurs usually do, it sticks out the back and is tearing up his Achilles tendon. So the podiatrist is going to do the repair and he'll be home from work and off his feet for the month of January. I'm both excited to have him around, and concerned that he's going to get bored very quickly. He has projects planned in, but I know how it goes when you're an active person and suddenly have to be sedentary. I'll be keeping my eye out for signs of cabin fever, and have the wheelchair already put into the trunk of the car so I can get him out of the house, even if it's to go hit the goodwill stores.

TOPS - I'm excited about giving the presentation tomorrow! Tops has members sign up on the calendar to give a 20 minute presentation. I'm doing mine on the flow theory of seasonal color analysis.

Lastly, about the changes that Spezzy et.al. are working on: I'm feeling a little ... well, disconnected. I love the Christian Accountabilibuddies group but it isn't a guild. So I really don't find it appropriate to talk about workouts and such in there. I'm an assassin, but I just can't keep up with the guild challenges, and I don't want to drag the guild down by my inability to compete. But since so much of the interaction centers around the guild's challenge, I feel a bit adrift. I had stopped participating in the guild, which makes me feel like I kinda fall through cracks here and I'm not sure how to solve that. I'm always open to advice of course, because I may be too close to the situation to see it clearly. And I'm not necessarily looking to leave the assassins, although if there was an old farts guild, I'd join it!

Sounds like a nasty storm! Glad your tree is ok. I had pizza today with fake cheese. It was fairly good, I mean  it wasn't mozzarella, but it melted, and had the cheese gooey feel. 

Guilds are so big now, probably the best way to feel connected is through the accountabuilibuddies, or just through the old people's thread and Christian thread. Assassins is very much into the mini challenges, I think, just through skimming that other guilds don't have quite as intense mini challenges. Most of the Ranger challenges last time were pretty easy to just fit into what you were already doing (seemed to me anyway) I've been feeling a bit disconnected too, and hoping that joining the Rangers will help that

My first wife used to get a Norwegian Goat's cheese that was hard as a brick and taseted about as good. If you don't like teh one you've tried you probably won't like the others.

Hahahah, "and tasted about as good"! And likely you're right about the goat milk. It doesn't really appeal to me. Then again, I haven't tried mixing it worth soy cream cheese. That has some potential and makes me curious.

Sounds like a nasty storm! Glad your tree is ok. I had pizza today with fake cheese. It was fairly good, I mean it wasn't mozzarella, but it melted, and had the cheese gooey feel.

Guilds are so big now, probably the best way to feel connected is through the accountabuilibuddies, or just through the old people's thread and Christian thread. Assassins is very much into the mini challenges, I think, just through skimming that other guilds don't have quite as intense mini challenges. Most of the Ranger challenges last time were pretty easy to just fit into what you were already doing (seemed to me anyway) I've been feeling a bit disconnected too, and hoping that joining the Rangers will help that

Yak the fake mozzarella isn't horrible. Neither is the fake parmesan. In fact, if I mixed that and the sheep cheese finely grated, that has some serious potential for a tolerable Alfredo sauce...

-----

Well I was gobsmacked again with a 1 pound loss at Tops today, firmly convinced that I was going to see at least a few pounds gain. This morning when I was getting dressed, I seriously weighed undies in my hands, hoping for that 10th of a pound in my favor! Ended up not choosing the cotton ones. How funny.

There were very few people at Tops today, so we decided I'd do my program next week, because do mammy people didn't want to miss it. Everything's in the car and ready to go.

Today I had turkey broth and some honeydew melon for breakfast, along with a fiber capsule. Then after Tops I stopped at Walmart to fill a prescription for Allen, and picked up some more frozen vegetables. I was hungry and tempted to get a Subway sandwich, but resisted, yay! I knew I was coming home to have a turkey wrap, and that helped me avoid temptation.

I made the wrap with turkey, chopped spinach, and my beloved guacamole pouch. Tasted better than yesterday's chicken wrap. But I'll need to squeeze out the liquid from the spinach next time. Ironically, kale doesn't have that problem. Weird.

I also cooked a couple cups of broccoli, and grated some sheep cheese over it. The cheese didn't melt really, Sloth, so I'll have to take that into consideration. But it was tasty. I also had a fiber capsule and a probiotic.

After lunch I was cleaning up and felt like I wanted sweets. This happens allot, and I'm very curious as to why! But instead of giving in, I made a cup of apple cinnamon herbal tea, and put two tsp of truvia in it. That was sweet enough to help somewhat with the craving. For awhile at least.

I went to work and about an hour later, the craving was back. So I did give in and eat some chocolate covered cranberries. 3 servings worth. Ugh. First of all, they have milk in them. So that isn't very wise of me! But second was of course all the sugar and empty calories.

Well, my stomach got a little bloated and mildly queasy from the chocolate, so that made it fairly easy to skip dinner. Which means I stayed within my calorie limits, but I'm not proud of it Nutritionally. I mean, you could eat nothing but candy bars and stay in your calorie limits, but what a bad way to treat your body.

The lapse aside, calories were 1164 gross, and I forgot to wear my Fitbit but it was a fairly sedentary day, so I'm guessing around 1500 steps. Water was okay at 5 cups. No workout so far this week. I need to get in there but our kids are visiting and I'd wake them up by working out. Or that's a half truth, a convenient excuse. If I really was determined, we could work something out, every pun intended.

I wanted to comment on this part too. And thank you for confirming my assessment of the assassins. Chronology blessed group is pretty quiet, so maybe it's time I at least look at the other groups. The accountability and being challenged by others who are committed to working out is an important part of this and I need it.

I wanted to comment on this part too. And thank you for confirming my assessment of the assassins. Chronology blessed group is pretty quiet, so maybe it's time I at least look at the other groups. The accountability and being challenged by others who are committed to working out is an important part of this and I need it.

I'm struggling with the guilds as well. Or just not being connected.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm struggling with the guilds as well. Or just not being connected.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hello Wildross. Good to see you.

It is helpful to know you and Elastigirl are also feeling the same sense about connecting in the guilds.

I want to say that I DO feel connected in the Christian nerds group. And maybe that's enough. Not sure. I think if I made more of an effort to participate in the members' battle logs/challenge threads, maybe that itself will give me what I'm looking for when it comes to motivation and accountability. But ultimately I can't expect even those relationships to do the work for me or make me get my butt out of the chair. I still need to follow through, whether or not I'm getting support.

----------

Allen came through the surgery fine. There's allot of pain so that's stressful on both of us. And I'm doing some stress eating. But it isn't too far out of line.

We got to the surgery center at 7 this morning, and they were getting his iv started when I left for an appointment at 7:45. When I got back at 9, I had a blueberry muffin for breakfast. His surgery was expected to go until 10, but the hardness of his bone, the size of the spur, and the inflammation in the tendon made the surgery go until 11:30.

After he woke up, they let him come home pretty quickly. We got him settled and I made some lunch. A pretzel demi loaf, leftover ham, and Jack cheese (I had manchego).

After lunch I went to work for awhile, and had a serving of chocolate covered cranberries. This time also having a dairy pill.

Fell asleep in my chair. We'd gotten up early and I guess that and the stress left me exhausted. I woke up about 45 minutes later but I felt better.

For dinner we had leftover turkey soup and egg sandwiches and cuties. I skipped the sandwich and had two cuties instead.

I had to go to the store to get more ice for his leg, and while I was there I picked up some dairy and dairy free ice cream bars. I had one dairy free, and later finished the rest of my granddaughter's.

Calories today weren't too outrageous; 1613 gross. No Fitbit again (it's on my desk) but steps likely around 2,000. Water was good today, 5 cups. Forgot to do the fiber and probiotic today but tomorrow I'll try to get back to it.

I'm going to get on the treadmill for a bit, as soon as I post this. I need a little exercise to help deal with the stress I think.

Lastly, some good news. Our youngest daughter in law said she's pregnant again. She's had a number of miscarriages because of low progesterone levels they think. So the doctor is cautiously optimistic because they've been giving her progesterone injections. She's 7 weeks along. So likely next August or September. She and our son are moving to south Carolina for work, so we won't see the baby when she delivers. But there's Skype.

Our daughter is having her cesarean on January 23rd, unless baby Evie decides she's coming early. Evie makes 5 grandkids, 3 girls, 2 boys, all under age 5. Not including the newest bun in the oven.

Glad to hear Allen is doing well, I will keep him in my prayers. And all the exciting grandbaby news! Congrats.

Thank you! He's trying to be very independent and I'm working hard to keep my codependency in check and not parent him. Changing bad hangups is hard work.

I had back to back appointments this morning and ran out the door without having breakfast. So I arranged the second appointment for a lunch date. I had a BLT, fries, and coleslaw at my favorite diner. It's an old fashioned restaurant that's been open since 1949, and hasn't changed much since then. Love meeting at that place.

Came home and got lunch for Allen, then started on the dishes. After that, I began making a leek and potato soup. Made use of Allen to chop onion and garlic. Also warmed up some rolls.

After dinner I sat with Allen and watched some tv. I had some chocolate covered cranberries. Also some pizelle cookies.

I did a mile on the treadmill, (did 2 miles last night,) then had a coconut almond dessert bar. Afterwards did some dumbbell work, 3 sets of 10 dumbbell rows, 17lbs.

Calories today were 1599 net, steps were 5872, and water was 5 cups

Today was a nice quiet day. I spent it washing laundry and going through clothes for goodwill. I had a nap. It was nice.

I also had a cheat day today. Had spaghetti sauce with meat over steamed kale. A few pieces of shredded mini wheats. Also had a fiber capsule.

For lunch I had two turkey burritos with dark meat, Manchego cheese, red onion, sweet habanero sauce.

Dinner was a couple traditional southern dishes for New Years - black eyed peas and ham, and also cabbage and potato soup.

For dessert I had am almond biscotti ands a few Andes candies. Calories were 2176 gross, steps were 4235, and water was 4 cups.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

Challenge Summary: 

Fitness:

• Do the BBWW 3x a week (preferably Tue/Thu/Sat) and track my steps daily with my FitBit
    • Did the BBWW 3x a week for the full challenge, increasing both reps and weights in chosen areas.  Score: A+
    • Tracked my steps on non-workout days for all except 2 days.  Score: A-
  • Lose 2 lbs this challenge, tracking the loss with TOPS.  Their scale broke, so I'm tracking with my home scale.
    • Tracked my weight and added measurements.  Weight went up but measurements went down.  Score: D+.  Not a total failure, but not a success with the goal. 

Diet:

• Track my food daily with My Fitness Pal
    • I did track every single day of the challenge.  Score: A+
  • Try to stay within the 1200 calorie goal
    • Only stayed in the calorie goal 5 days of the challenge.  Score: D-

Life:

• Keep up with work orders and don't get behind
    • Work orders are caught up.  Score: A
  • Maintain a healthy relationship with my husband as he's home all month recuperating from foot surgery
    • There have been a couple of minor challenges with fighting my desire to mother him.  But we've talked about those, I've backed off, and not forced my desires onto him nor made him feel bad for making choices that he wanted to make that I disagreed with.  Score: A

Weekly summary updates:

Week 1 - BBWW 3x/week: yes.

Track steps daily: modified to track exercise calories on workout days and steps on other days, so yes.

Lose 2lbs goal: the scale at Tops got broken, so I don't know yet.

Track food daily: yes.

Try to stay within 1200 calorie limit: 3/7 days.

Keep up with work orders: still working ahead, so yes.

Healthy relationship with Allen: yes. We haven't had any problems and I'm dealing with my codependency well, actually. So yes.

Week 2 - BBWW 3x/week: yes.

Track steps/workouts daily: yes

Lose 2lbs goal: Weighing weekly. 172.2

Track food daily: yes

1200 calorie limit: 0/7 days

Keep up with work orders: yes

Healthy relationship with Allen: yes

Week 3 - BBWW 3/week: yes

Track steps/workouts daily: 6/7

Lose 2 lbs goal: Weighing weekly, 173.6.  Gained 

1200 calorie limit: 1/7 days

Week 4 - BBWW 3x/week: yes

Track steps/workouts daily: 6/7

Lose 2 lbs goal: weighing won't happen until Tuesday again, so I'm assuming still in the gain category

1200 calorie limit: 1/7 days

Overall grade: B+ (Not an A because I missed two days tracking steps and only met calorie goal 5x)

If you'd like to continue following me, my new challenge thread is HERE.