Worked out today, but made a small mistake.  I was stretching before doing my squats, and overstretched my medialis too quickly doing a standing thigh stretch.  Felt it as soon as I released my foot, so I did an abbreviated workout today.  On the other hand though, I've added some Tricep Kick Backs to my routine, yay.  

Today's workout:

2 sets 16 squats (s l o w l y)

1 set triangle wall push ups

1 set 12 walking lunges

3 sets 10 dumbbell rows, 12.5 lbs

2 sets 10 Tricep Kick Backs, 3 lbs (starting cautiously)

2 sets 15 second planks

1 set 30 jumping jacks

I haven't formulated my next challenge yet.  I'm still mulling things over.  But looking forward to it!

On life stuff, things are pretty good.  Schedule is back to normal and stress greatly reduced.  I'm back to sewing.  Played disc golf the other day, and almost beat my husband "natural" (without handicap).  I was quite surprised, since I'd not played in about 4 weeks.  But I can see the improvement in my arm and core muscles making a difference in my game; my drives were faster and longer than I'd been doing previously.  I still kinda suck at my putts though, and it costs me precious points.  I need to work on that. 

I won't be playing much disc golf in the next couple of months, likely, because a) if it's below 20 degrees, I just don't feel the need for ice torture; and B) if there's more than an inch of snow on the ground, I don't feel like hunting in the snow for my disc.  SO that pretty much means waiting until March, assuming we're gonna have a normal winter here.  It's nearly January and we haven't had any snow to speak of.  (Crossing fingers.  If I could, I'd click my heels and go to Arizona for the winter!)

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Quick update .. Eek! Challenge starts in 2 days and I haven't formulated my plans. Lots of bits and pieces of goals spinning in my head like little satellites. But they haven't aligned themselves into a cohesive pattern yet. I need a quiet block of time to think and write.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

Tis done, new second challenge thread be started. Will be written entirely in-character. http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58543-Granny-Nogg's-Second-Challenge

My second challenge is over, so now I'll be returning to my battle log for the couple of weeks between challenges. 

A lot has changed in my life in the last 6 weeks-- both good and bad.  But I've stuck with NF, even when it was really tough.  And that's kinda unlike me... I certainly had good reason to put it on hold.  But I didn't.  And that's a huge marker in my life.  I'm hoping it's a big sign of maturity.  Being nearly half a century old can do that to a person.

What's new...

• well a son moved back home temporarily (we hope) while he looks for a new job...  ahh, the intricacies of parenting adult children living at home...
  • We have created a permanent photo studio in our home, in one of the bedrooms.  We celebrated our 31st Valentine's Day together by doing a photo shoot.  I haven't posted the pics yet, but when I do, I'll put a link in here.  
  • I've started making polymer clay millefiore canes again.  Okay that's probably incomprehensible.  I do have a video... just keep in mind it's one of my earliest (if not THE earliest) youtube video I ever made.  And it's showing my daughter make a cane for one of our wholesale orders; so keep in mind that the scale here is about 4x what we usually make.  But big orders require big canes. And it's in my livingroom, includes not-so-flattering family images in the background, which is where we worked back then.  I need to make another video on how a cane is made, making smaller cane scale and some application ideas.  
  • I made two canes during the challenge, a red rose cane and a dove cane.  I hadn't caned in about 3 years, so this was a pretty big deal.  
  • We're going to play disc golf this Saturday at Crystal City Underground.  It's the only subterranean disc golf course in the world, just south of Saint Louis, MO. 

That's about it.  Work is good -- I'm way busier than I was at this time last year.  Hooray advertising.  Boo advertising costs.  But hey, it's a living. 

• Like 2

Today was much easier to do my workout.  Because I was not dehydrated like I was on Tuesday.  *bonks head on desk*

I know, I know.  I should drink MOAR WATAH.  I even have a nice handy little app on my phone, that when the timer goes off, it sounds like liquid being poured into a glass.  And when I'm out in public, people hear it go off, and either look at me quizzically, laugh, or head for the nearest restroom.  Or all of the above.  Me, I just ignore the dang thing.  Goes with the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water..."

Today's workout, 3 sets each:

20 squats, 15 wall push ups (I'll explain later), 10 dumbbell rows @ 20 lbs, 15 second planks, and 30 jumping jacks.  I was in a hurry this morning so I skipped the triceps and hand work. 

So yeah, the push ups.  I'd been excited to use the back of a wicker chair pushed up against the wall to do incline push ups.  But then we found a really great deal on some livingroom furniture, and the wicker chairs went up into our library.  Now I could certainly climb the stairs and go use that chair, but I don't want to push the chair up against the bookshelves and damage any of the books.  So poo.  None of our kitchen chairs really work the way I want them to-- the backs are too rounded and don't give me handholds that will be either stable enough or comfortable enough.  So it's back to wall push ups again.  But I'll be continuing to try the floor push ups!

I'm really slacking on my food.  I'd been doing paleo for a bit but with hubby's heart attack I slacked off, both with the paleo and with the tracking.  I made conscious choices here, so no 'poor baby' nonsense.  I got outta the groove and I need to get it back.  Started tracking again, probably last week.  Not sure if I'm gonna be back to paleo though.  I don't know. 

On other news:  middle son (24) lost his job and moved back home.  It's temporary, sure.  But you know how it is... it'll be six months before he's both gotten a job and saved enough for first and last on an apartment and utilities. In the mean time, I'm doing my level best to be both supportive and NOT falling back into old codependent mom-isms.  It's a fine line, parenting adult children who have to hit the nest for awhile. 

So back to exercise stuff... I'm seriously considering getting a weight bar and weights, and learning how to use it.  There was a set at the thrift store, a bomb-diggity set, but it was $75.  And I didn't have the money, but I'd have bought that thing in a heartbeat.  So that's telling me that I need to do some exploring on using barbells once I've got this BBWW down pat. 

• Like 1

Place holder for weekly challenge summaries.

Week 1 Summary:  How am I doing toward meeting my goals?

Main Quest, working out 3x a week:  Great!  I did all 3 workouts this week.  Grade: A

Quest 1, increase plank from 20 sec to 35 sec:  Great!  I've increased a little bit today.  I'll try to continue the increase next week.  Grade: A- (only cuz I didn't increase until today)

Quest 2, participate in the rebellion:  Also really good.  I wrote in here 3x and participate in an accountabilibuddies group, as well as the guild mini for the week.  Grade: A

Yay for meeting goals on week 1~

Week 2 Summary: How am I doing toward meeting my goals?

Main Quest, working out 3x a week:  NOT Great!  I only did 1.25 workouts this week, including a half game of disc golf.  Grade: D

Quest 1, increase plank from 20 sec to 35 sec:  Good, actually!  I've increased from 20 sec to 25 sec for all three sets.  I'll continue that through week 3. Grade: A- ( cuz I only did planks 1x last week)

Quest 2, participate in the rebellion:  Minimal.  I wrote in here 1x and participated in my accountabilibuddies group, as well as did some for the guild mini for the week.  Grade: D.  

Yay for meeting at least some goals even though I was sick on week 2~

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Complete challenge

I saw this kind of post on someone's thread and thought it was very practical. Saves a ton of time searching through posts to find my summaries.

I think I'm calling this last challenge bit of a crit fail, solely because I didn't keep to coming in here every week and interact. Lots of springtime demands on my time, but still I should have made time.

So I'll be giving myself the points from the assassin minis that i participated in, and figuring about 1/3 of the points I would have assessed myself, had I fully participated, plus one extra point for making the leap from incline push ups to floor ones.

I've lost 3 lbs in the last challenge, by doubling my fiber intake (food sources, not supplements) and consistently tracking my macros for the last 4 weeks. So while I started out with one set of challenge goals in mind, I think my goals morphed into food/dietary ones. And there was success.

No calorie counting today, it's my cheat day. Realizing how long is been since I've had much in the way of sugar! Ate a bunch of bite size rice crispy treats today and blahhhhh, i has a sugar hangover. Kinda makes me happy that my body freaked out a little bit from all the sweet stuff, tells me that lower sugar is the norm for me now. Tomorrow (well, actually today as it's just past midnight) I go back to calorie counting and watching those macros.

Threw a 240 foot drive this past week (Frisbee golf). That made me very happy. Arm and wrist strength are continuously affecting my game in a positive way.

Life stuff, getting an overgrown back corner of our yard re-landscaped. It's been needing attention for the past 10 years, and feels great to finally be tackling this area! We built a firewood rack for the small trees we're cutting down, and bricked in our fire pit and made a spark arrestor for it. Lots of good things!

Whaaaaaaatt? The next challenge starts on Monday?? I'm sooooo not ready. But that's okay. It won't take me that long to get my goals set up. I just need to add it to this week's schedule... I just thought we'd had an extra week. That's what the 6wc challenge thread said...

Edited to avoid the dratted double post:

I'm going through and gathering up my point allocation today, and figuring out what my next challenge will be about. 

Assassins Mini Challenges--
+1 STA for zombies run mini challenge
+1 DEX for stock the pantry mini challenge
+1 CON for build a bunker mini challenge

My Challenge Points--
+3 STR for increasing my plank time from 20 to 25 seconds

+2 STA for participating in the forums and participating in the guild minis
+6 STA for working out 3x but sometimes 2x per week

I've started my thread for my 4th challenge:  http://rebellion.ner...-4th-challenge/

Well I don't feel ready for the challenge tomorrow. I think it's that I'm really really tired right now.

Played disc golf this afternoon (actually in the car on the way home) and had a so-so game. really my short game just kills me and i gain way too many strokes from missed putts. Hubby and I are going to buy a portable basket this year. But in the mean time I'm thinking I need to hit the putting baket almost every day. I'm not signed up for any tournaments but I'm still planning on it.

Edit:

Okay the above post from this afternoon sucked.  

I don't really have that bad of an attitude.  I think sometimes I just need a nap, yanno?  When I got home I made myself some broiled veggies and sat down to watch a documentary on the search for Atlantis, in which I promptly fell asleep.  It wasn't the documentary, I was just so bleeping tired from working in the back yard two days straight.  Probably slept 90 minutes, and that refreshed me a LOT.  I feel like my usual upbeat self.  And now I'm heading to bed, big big day planned for tomorrow (see my challenge thread for details).

Challenge #4 Weekly Summaries

Week 1:

Main Quest -- work out 3x using the BBWW.  Yes!  I'm giving myself an A+, even though workout #3 was only 2 sets, instead of 3.  But I did walk an extra 7 miles this week playing disc golf and that makes up more than enough in a missed set.  

Quest 2 -- participate in the rebellion, updating my challenge thread 3x a week and participating in the guild minis.  Yes!  I'm giving myself an A+ here also.  I posted 13 times on this challenge thread last week, and estimating at least 6-8 times in the guild mini thread (also did the mini challenge). I'm also a member of an accountabilibuddies group for old farts and one for mindful eating. I posted in both of those at least 3x last week.

Life Quest -- clean up the yard.  Yes!  This one technically gets a B.  I did alot of cleaning between the day I'd set up my quest (technically before the challenge began) and April 11th.  However, I hadn't done any work on it in this last calendar week of the challenge.  I've got a before and during photo to show.  I'm not saying "after" yet, because I still need to do some more work.  I need to prune the trees and bushes that line the back and right-side fences, clean all the leaf debris out from among them, and clean out the planter in the corner there.  I also need to weed-n-feed the grass and clean out the little planter for my veggies.  BUT!  Alot of progress has been made. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw9znowp2y6h92q/before-currently1.jpg?dl=0

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Challenge Summarized:

*MAGICALLY APPEARS*

PHEW, man, it has been a crazy week! Sorry I haven't stopped by lately, sweety -- even my own thread is suffering from the lack of attention, but I'll fix that tonight, I assure you! I miss reading your awesome Discworld posts.

Anyway.... please feel free to whack me on the noggin if I'm presuming too much but....

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Today is for thou, and make sure you enjoy it thoroughly! ^_^

• Like 1

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

Back to my battle log between challenges. Today I played 36 holes of disc golf back to back. (well... Two courses). Total of 6 miles walked. Felt great.

Still occasionally having nausea from the food poisoning. It's been a week! I thought all the symptoms would be gone by now. But it's not really bad.

Continuing with my workouts through the break.

18 holes before work today. Found 4 discs in the same creek as yesterday. None of them the one we were looking for. 3 of them didn't have any contact info in them, Anna the 4th only had a person's PDGA member number on it. Talked to the owner who said he'd sold the disc to the pro shop, and the new owner hadn't put new contract info in it. So $65 worth of discs. It's why we always mark our own discs! Much higher likelihood they'll get returned.

Played disc golf tonight with our son. Had a good game, threw one over my handicap but still managed to beat said offspring. Doesn't happen very much - he just had a bad game and sometimes there's nothing you can do about that.

I'm almost caught up on orders! Had some that are just gargantuan - multi family orders in the 4 digit mark, and a few of them back to back. But I'm expecting to get caught up by the end of next week.

Did squats, dumbbell rows, planks and push ups today. All felt pretty good!

My game sucked rocks tonight! Man. I played like Phil Mickelson... Rough to rough to rough. Oh well. I have a hough bogey rate at this course as it is - it's an a-tier tournament course so I'm not beating myself up too bad.

I've been thinking (and researching) alot lately about eating pre-workout meals vs. Fasting before working out. I've done both...

When I first started the BBWW, I was eating breakfast right before the workout. Didn't do nice things to my tummy. Aka, I sloshed alot during the jumping jacks, and planks made me feel mildly nauseous. So then I read that Steve was doing fasted workouts first thing in the morning. So I switched to that.

Well, I just now had a V-8 moment: I think I'm not doing very well on the fasted workout plan. I'm struggling to make any gains in reps, and also having terrible moving from one exercise to another without a break. I used to be able to do that when I first started the BBWW.

So, I'm going to try eating am hour or two before working out (longer for high protein meals, shorter for mostly carb meals) and see how I do.

I'll be tracking it in the notes section of MFP so that I don't forget what worked and what didn't. But I'm thinking eating vs Fasting before workouts is an individual thing and there's no rule that fits everyone.

So this morning I had two chicken breasts for breakfast. Ummm, it was probably one breast too many!  Worked well for keeping my cravings at bay, but I think I should have spread them out-- like, one pre-workout and another post-workout.  I did wait two hours before doing the workout and it didn't seem to bother me at all.  I also munched on a granola bar, little bites at a time as I worked out.

I didn't have my dumbbells with me (I was doing the BBWW while I waited for an appointment), but I did do squats, lunges, push ups, planks, and jumping jacks.  Funny about the jumping jacks-- I can do those suckers all day. Kinda makes me chuckle. 

Had to rest quite a bit though, and I felt disappointed about that.  I had attributed the heart thumping and mild dizziness to low blood sugar from working out fasted, right? But I still had those things today.  If I rested just a minute, the sensations died down and I was able to continue. I'm just comparing this to last year when it seemed like I could go through an entire set without having to rest between exercises, and it seems like I can't do that now. However, that being said-- I was doing like 5 reps of each exercise last fall, instead of the 20 I do now.  So it may just be a situation that I'm older and I need to rest between exercises and there's nothing wrong with that.  

I didn't get to play disc golf today. Well, actually I was working and chose not to.  The issue mostly is that this world really isn't a safe place.  And a woman alone in the woods is a target.  i couldn't get ANY girls in the PFC to come play with me today, and I didn't want to go out and play with guys that I don't know.  So I stayed home. Sadface. 

I coulda walked the treadmill, though. And I thought about it.  But I'm still a little behind with work and had alot to do to get my orders organized. I finished that about half an hour ago.  Woot.  There are 52 orders on the board and 3 in the wings. Never a dull moment.  

• Like 1

WORD UP

Wow girl, you are BUSY! Woof. I feel for ya. You're exercising is looking good, though! I envy that you can do jumping jacks so well. I mean, I can do them no problem, but I get so bored. And they are mildly uncomfortable, because I am forced to buy cheapo bras. :\

But that is also a huge step up! You are KILLING it, girl! Keep it up! The heart thumping and dizzieness would definitely be from working out fasted -- your blood sugar dived. That's okay, it happens to me too. Really bad. See my huge post on why sugar is important and how much it sucks to be on a blood sugar dive. (I still read that now and then for chuckles. Ha!)

don't worry too much about resting between sets, either. Like you said, it's just a harder and faster workout now, and your body needs a breather. I used to run through those 3 circuits a year ago -- now, I make sure to take a rest because if I don't my form is SHITACULAR. So yeah. Form. Important.

Looks like you are making progress and keeping a good attitude about it. Keep it up, girlfriend! Let's swap bikini pictures or something! Get some craziness up in here.

• Like 1

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

WORD UP

Wow girl, you are BUSY! Woof. I feel for ya. You're exercising is looking good, though! I envy that you can do jumping jacks so well. I mean, I can do them no problem, but I get so bored. And they are mildly uncomfortable, because I am forced to buy cheapo bras. :\

But that is also a huge step up! You are KILLING it, girl! Keep it up! The heart thumping and dizzieness would definitely be from working out fasted -- your blood sugar dived. That's okay, it happens to me too. Really bad. See my huge post on why sugar is important and how much it sucks to be on a blood sugar dive. (I still read that now and then for chuckles. Ha!)

don't worry too much about resting between sets, either. Like you said, it's just a harder and faster workout now, and your body needs a breather. I used to run through those 3 circuits a year ago -- now, I make sure to take a rest because if I don't my form is SHITACULAR. So yeah. Form. Important.

Looks like you are making progress and keeping a good attitude about it. Keep it up, girlfriend! Let's swap bikini pictures or something! Get some craziness up in here.

I heart you. You wanna come be one of my daughters? I'd adopt. [emoji12]

Bikini pics - actually, you're on! Allen and i are doing a bikini and grass skirt photo shoot tomorrow, for my birthday invitations. I turn the Big 5-0 next Friday, and my party is going to be Hawaiian style rather than a dirge like most 50th birthday parties. I feel like, next 50? Bring it, baby!

So whenever he gets the pics edited, I'll post one in here.

Played disc golf today, had a fantastic first nine, but then kinda tanked the second half. But I still meet my average for that course, so I'm not unhappy.

I feel like I'm right on the edge of a growth spurt with the sport. I downsized my speed on my drivers - from an 11 all the way down to a 7. But that have me more predictable control, so I'm still driving as far as I was before, only because the discs I'd been throwing before were too overpowered for me. Discing down was the right answer. Like you said, Raz- form means everything!

I'm getting about 3 miles a day playing disc golf, so i think i just need to focus on my upper body workout. Push ups, planks, rows. Makes it all very doable.

I'm thinking my summer challenge will be just that - disc golf every day (or at least 5x a week, allowing for weather & scheduling conflicts) and upper body 3x a week.

Also - I'm caught up with work! Woohoo!!

• Like 1

Cool that you can see improvement in your disc golf- by the end of the  summer you will be unstoppable.

We're almost birthday buddies. I turn 50 just a few days after you.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oof. 4 rounds of disc golf in 48 hours. I'm finally tired!

We've been playing every day this week. Plus we donated an hour working on the world competition level course that's in the process of being built, 10 minutes from my house [squee!!]. it'll be finished in 2017. We also have the national level A-tier highest paid tournament in the country (the Ledgestone Insurance tournament) held here each year. Last year, I walked the course in the gallery with the women's pro team. Learned alot! This year I'm volunteering, working our club's merchandise booth. I'm not good enough to play in the tournament yet. But maybe next year.

My son is learning me his disc golf temp basket so I can work on my putting. 100 putts a day, for 100 days. That'll be on top of my regular game schedule. But I miss shots needlessly because my technique kinda sucks. So yeah. Need the help

Eating lots of protein, and enjoying the extra energy! Feel like it's working and building muscle, too. Yay!

• Like 1