• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dovahkiin

Getting back to the dojo

So I have literally not been to my dojo or practiced aikido in almost 3 months. I have been wanting to go back so badly, but for some reason I feel weird about going back. 

Don't get me wrong: I love the art and the people that I practice/study with. But for some reason I can't shake the feeling that it will be awkward to go back after such a long time off.

I think the biggest thing is, that while I tend to be outgoing, I'm very shy and somewhat socially awkward. 

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

I don't know where my boxing coach found this quote, but some time ago he told me that "A man who truly wants to do something will find a way, whereas a man who doesn't want something will find an excuse".

...that bloke comes up with the coolest quotes ever.

If you want to train, go train. As blunt as that sounds, it's all I can say. There are far too many shy people out there, but many of them still get out and do what they're passionate about. Would you really forsake your passion for something as silly as awkwardness?

And plus, three months isn't even that long. People take breaks all the time! Last month, my friend came back to boxing after a two year hiatus. It was nice catching up with him, and it was even nicer to see that he was still as hard-working as he was before. No awkwardness, we just got on and trained.. because that's what we were there for.

• Like 1

I don't know where my boxing coach found this quote, but some time ago he told me that "A man who truly wants to do something will find a way, whereas a man who doesn't want something will find an excuse".

...that bloke comes up with the coolest quotes ever.

If you want to train, go train. As blunt as that sounds, it's all I can say. There are far too many shy people out there, but many of them still get out and do what they're passionate about. Would you really forsake your passion for something as silly as awkwardness?

And plus, three months isn't even that long. People take breaks all the time! Last month, my friend came back to boxing after a two year hiatus. It was nice catching up with him, and it was even nicer to see that he was still as hard-working as he was before. No awkwardness, we just got on and trained.. because that's what we were there for.

^This

Life happens.  Sometimes we need breaks from training.  Sometimes life gets in the way and we can't make time.  But if you love it, you go back to it. 

Go back, train, be happy.  If someone gives you shit, they are clearly not worth your time, so ignore them and train harder.

• Like 1

I'm sure the people at your dojo miss you and want to see you again - I know I miss the presence of the people I haven't seen in a while.  It'll take no time to get back into the routine.