Any clean eaters out there want to help me?

purplebug12

I have cleaned up my diet quite a bit but I still feel it may be unhealthy. I do not eat paleo but I would like to stat turning my diet into 'clean eating'. Any advice or beginner tips? Is this a good move? What should I mostly rely on? What should I be sure to avoid? How do you eat out or at other's houses?

Just a snapshot at my diet now: source yogurt (35 cal reg or 50 cal greek), veggetables, potatoes, squash, fruit, whole wheat pasta, canned soup, robin hood oats, eggs, meat (chicken, pork, beef, fish), pb2, dempsters protein bread, unsweetened almond milk, kaizen vanilla protein powder, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, bagels, fat free cheese slices (would real cheese be better?), popcorn kernnels or 100 cal microwave bags, special k cereal, multigrain life cereal, multgrain cheerios, wheat thins, melba toast, laughing cow light cheese, dark chocolate, some ice cream, some lipton sidekicks or uncle ben rice, stuffed pasta, some quaker chewy granola bars or kashi granola bars, soem lipton cup a soup, subway ham sandwich or pita pit ham pita, arrow root cookies, thinsations packages, wine, wiskey adn diet coke, some sugar free jello

"Clean eating" is too subjective of a concept to give you an idea of where to "start."  What you feel is "good" to eat ultimately boils down to your preferences and goals.  In general though, you're just trying to get the right mix of macronutrients and micronutrients.  Fiber is good too, and you want to watch your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, so forth) as well.  If fat is a concern, then you'll want to watch your overall calories - the source of those calories doesn't matter when it comes to fat burning.  Making sure you have enough protein (this gets back to the right mix of macronutrients) is always important, regardless if you're trying to lose fat or gain muscle - in the latter case, you'll need a caloric surplus as well.

How you achieve those goals is up to you and how you personally feel about the food you eat.  Nutrition is not a clear-cut field, despite what the blogosphere would have people believe.

I guess I just want to eat healthy. I used to eat a lot of processed foods and sugar and I have worked at cutting that down. I have also cut back my use of artificial sweeteners. I would like to still eat healthier. I would probably need to work on cutting back on processed foods still and go with more 'real' food. I am trying to gain muscle and strength (fat is not really an issue, 5'5" and 120 lbs or a little less). I try to get at least 120 g of protein and I track everything on MFP. I get 2500 calories and I get >20 g of fiber a day. I'm not sure how much I should be having for carbs and fats. Looking at the last few days I had 200-300 g of carbs and under 20g of sat fats (usually way under) a day. 

A rule I find helps is "if it grows, walks, flys or swims" eat it ..... Otherwise debate with yourself how much you like it and his much it impacts your goals

Cheerios for example ..... I would ditch them as nutritionally pointless as eating a sensible diet with lots of veg in negates the need for over sugared processed hoops of iresistability :-D

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

I think I would cut out the canned soup.Generally speaking, canned soup is high in sodium, low in protein, and even the veggies are scarce. Make a big ol pot of soup on the weekend and eat it during the weekend

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Agreed. it looks like a lot of food that comes from boxes. i'm not 'clean', but i try to limit my intake to things that go rotten quickly.

I realize I have an unhealthy attachment to my jump rope.

TRX opened my eyes to new levels of discomfort.

The only thing I recommend is ditching store bought cereal and making your own. I eat oats, granola, chia seed, walnuts and dried goji berries. I Top it off with almond milk. You can also use flax seed, different nuts and fresh fruit. It tastes amazing and is super filling

We don't meet ordinary people in our lives, because if you give anyone a chance, they have something extraordinary to offer.

COCONUT PANCAKES!! 

My favorite paleo recipe of all time, easy to make and super delish.

Coconut flour (if you cant get some or is to expensive, just put dried coconut in the blender)

Egg

Almond milk (optional)

Just stir the ingredients till they look like pancake mix and cook in a pan with coconut oil and you're good to go.

This is a great breakfast option or when you're craving bread. (like I was the first two weeks of paleo transition)

Cheers and good luck on your diet. 

I'm no expert with nutrition but i have been eating very clean my whole life. I think it's a matter of preference. At the end of the day if it's not working for you then you will not be able to stick with it as a lifestyle.

For me canned soup,cereals,diet coke would be out the door. Food that comes in boxes,cans and bottles is never going to be real food.
Pasta,bagels,granola bars and cookies would be very limited or substituted for a homemade healthier version. But then again,it's subjective. If these things keep you going then don't be too hard on yourself. If you can cut it out and feel better then that would be the way to go.

If you want just one beginners tip, my single bit of advice would be to pick just one bit of your diet that you want to clean up and get that sorted, Then, when you're happy with that, clean up something else.

For example, you could just concentrate on cleaning up what fluids you put in your body- dont worry about anything your eating at the moment, just dedicate a week, or however long it takes, for you to sort out the fluids in your diet. Set yourself a target of changing your drinking habits until your existing on 99% water and then gradually cut back on everything non-water until you get there. Stick with it until you're happy that you've established 'mainly drinking water' as a habit. Then work on cleaning up something else in your diet. Maybe look at what you have for breakfast everyday and work on cleaning that up. Or pledge to see if you can go a whole week without eating anything thats pre-prepared, Or set yourself the goal of trying at least one new fruit or vegetable every week.

Loads of people fall down because they try to make laods of massive radical changes to their diet all at the same time and inevitably stumble on one or more parts of it and end up giving up on all of it. YOu have the rest of your life to work out how to eat clean so you can take your time over it to make sure that you are creating healthy habits that will last and that you can stick to in the long run.