is this too slow?

I am just curious, no weight loss in the two months. However I have lost one inch off my biceps, more than one inch off my waist and hips. I know this is some progress, but are these results still slow? I am just curious as to what is the alarming sign that, okay my body is clearly not changing and i need to change things up (whether eat eve healthier, or work out harder). I went from 167 lbs to now 160 lbs, on my 5'2 frame. My body feels tighter to me, and I do look slimmer. Once I learn how to upload pics off my camera :$ , i will post ones from a month or two ago and now, for you to judge. I'm just frustrated that I have been going at it for over 5 months, even though I have had bad days here and there, overall it is a vast improvement compared to last year. And 7 lbs loss is just a bit defeating for me. I am tracking on daily plate and eating over 1500 calories daily, and ensuring a deficit to reach 1.5 lb loss a week. however, no loss still.

Guest tparker

Losing inches still means you are losing fat.

Pending on your workout, you probably are gaining muscle in and around that is not able to be noticed.

There is also such a thing as plateauing and you may have hit one. Another change in the diet should be rather helpful to push on past it. Sometimes a "mostly" good won't cut it.

Short of being there and personally tracking every little thing, however, it'd be almost impossible to state other than in generalities.

Everyone will lose at different rates, but based on your posts in the Challenge board, 2 things jump out at me:

You don't seem to be eating much. I think you're overestimating to arrive at that 1500 calorie level.

The other is that your workouts aren't increasing in intensity.

I know I mentioned it before, but I get the feeling that you can do those "50 lunges, 50 squats, 50 donkey kicks, etc" in your sleep.

You really should consider a change in your program. Generally, you want to give a program 6-12 weeks to start seeing results. With 2 months of your current program and not being satisfied (and not losing weight), I'd highly recommend throwing it out and starting fresh. You need to get your body outside of your comfort zone. Sure, you'll be sore at first, but you'll be pushing yourself harder.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Thank you everyone for your replies , much appreciated :)

I am working harder to get a cleaner diet for sure. I'm actually eating a lot more than I used to, my calories can be checked out at "daily plate- curvygirly" . I am eating the number they have calculated out for me according to my activity, height, weight, sex, etc- and just made it so I can lose 1.5 lb a week, even though that is still not happening. I have def taken your advice, 67alecto, from your past posts on my topics, and amped up my calorie intake in a healthier way ofcourse.

I have been changing my workout a bit, but I think you are right it is still too similar, overall. My issue is though that, I progressed from using 5 lbs for a bicep curl in one hand, to now holding 15 lbs in each hand for a bicep curl. But then I hear the argument of doing less weights more reps :S I am a little stuck in my workout ways mainly because I don't want to go buy more workout equipment, and I prefer to do exercises that I can do at home with little to no equipment. Can anyone suggest some variations? I have started doing counter pushups, and after each set, move back a bit further to test myself out. the lunges and squats are a lot lower than before, and i try to hold the weights for about 3 seconds before back to the starting position in my arm workouts.

well... though i think a pull-up bar or some weights are a great investment (in yourself, you know?)... bodyweight circuits are a great way to get fit, as is doing sprints of some sort.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12 ... ld-muscle/

http://www.gymjunkies.com/home-workout-for-beginner/

you could go with either of those and not have to buy almost anything.

on another note:

who said less weight more reps... and for what? generally i wouldn't suggest that. more weight for fewer reps, 3x5 and 5x5 (3 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 5 - for barbell and dumbbell exercises at least) both being quite popular for that reason. the way to get stronger, fitter, more shapely, is to stress your muscles and get them toned and strong.

Thank you everyone for your replies , much appreciated :)

My issue is though that, I progressed from using 5 lbs for a bicep curl in one hand, to now holding 15 lbs in each hand for a bicep curl. But then I hear the argument of doing less weights more reps :S I am a little stuck in my workout ways mainly because I don't want to go buy more workout equipment, and I prefer to do exercises that I can do at home with little to no equipment.

The people who make that argument are the ones who still think that a woman simply touching a freeweight will turn her into a deep-voiced juicer on the bodybuilding circuit.

As a woman, you simply do not have the testosterone to develop giant muscles. Heck, many guys don't have it...or at least don't have the desire to put in the insane amounts of to do it.

Lifting heavier weights will make you stronger, which will burn more fat. Check out this link

http://sreishus.blogspot.com/2010/06/wh ... ining.html

This guy is living proof that you don't get huge from simply lifting weights...it's a big combination of the exact program and nutrition.

He weighs around 150lbs, and can squat over 400. In the video attached to the next link, you can see how lean he is.

http://sreishus.blogspot.com/2010/05/sq ... again.html

Start with the Nerd Fitness Bodyweight workouts that Steve posted and go from there. The "No Gym, No Problem" seems perfect for you as it requires no equipment until you can do pullups.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Thanks guys, I just checked out the website links, they were fantastic!

I tried Steve's beginner workout routine today, however I slightly modified it, tell me if this is okay.

20 squats

10 counter pushups

20 lunges

10 tricep extensions with 12 lb weight

20 calf raises

10 bicep curls with 15 lb weight

20 jumping jacks

repeated this 3 times. is this modification okay? at the moment, i have this problem where if i look down for over a few seconds I get a really bad headache. so planks are def out.

Also, I still wanted to work out even after this so i tried the interval training, but modified it yet again.

1.5 minutes of 3.5mph jogging + 1.5 minutes of 3 mph brisk waking = 3 minutes Did this 5 times = 15 minutes

+ 10 minutes of brisk walking 3mph

this is day one. does this sound okay, i think it is kinda similar to what i did before, but kinda not. also i am drenched in sweat. i think the old routine, had me sweat a lot less since i cooled down with kickboxing.

So i plan to do his circuit training + interval training on the same day. and then alternate that with days of 1 hour kickboxing.

um how is this plan, i feel like i am still being a dummy.

Oh update, really been having healthier meals. Yesterday, in the entire day I had 2 slices of bread as my heavy carbs. filled up on a ton of protein and veggies. And my last meal was at... drum roll........... 8 pm. which is hugely shocker. Even if the scale doesn't show a diff yet, just the last two days has made me feel lighter and more energetic

Just keep this in mind: it's not the quantity but the quality that counts.

As a girl, I think the "low weight high rep" mentality is absolutely GARBAGE. WTF. I could curl 5 pounds 5 billion times in my sleep. Don't waste your time :)

I never know what you mean by 20 lunges though. Is that like...20 lunges all on one leg, then switch, or is it like 20 lunges which is 10 on each leg?

I tend to do three or four sets of roughly 6-10 reps (depending on what I'm doing). I really really recommend body weights if you can. I've been supersetting full-form push-ups with assisted pull-ups. I also really (REALLY) suggest deadlifting.

Hold in your core for all those exercises. It sounds weird but tighten your core when you're doing the flex part of the exercise. Pull through your core. It's like an ab workout in and of itself :)

Just keep this in mind: it's not the quantity but the quality that counts.

As a girl, I think the "low weight high rep" mentality is absolutely GARBAGE. WTF. I could curl 5 pounds 5 billion times in my sleep. Don't waste your time :)

I never know what you mean by 20 lunges though. Is that like...20 lunges all on one leg, then switch, or is it like 20 lunges which is 10 on each leg?

I tend to do three or four sets of roughly 6-10 reps (depending on what I'm doing). I really really recommend body weights if you can. I've been supersetting full-form push-ups with assisted pull-ups. I also really (REALLY) suggest deadlifting.

Hold in your core for all those exercises. It sounds weird but tighten your core when you're doing the flex part of the exercise. Pull through your core. It's like an ab workout in and of itself :)

Hey:) I totally know what you mean about holding in your core, i try to do it all the time, even now while typing lol. When I say # bicep curls, or lunges or tricep extensions, I mean per limb. So 20 lunges is 20 lunges per leg. Thank you for telling me your rep and set, that helps me get an idea of what other females do:)