Hey Assassins...

Blackstroke

I'm back. I should say I peek in on and off. Here's another of those "I'm too busy" posts... Or not...

I am a good way into my second trimester of chiropractic school, and busy busy busy. Or I wish I could say that...

Has anyone ever been negatively affected by video games? I have... No... Wait... That's my own self discipline. How about that? Has anyone ever had trouble being motivated/staying motivated? Or just chosen virtual reality over reality a little too much? Because I have. I've chosen RPGs and idle games over my studies, which then affects my time with my family because what could be family time is now filled with study time. Or affects taking care of my body. Or affects learning about something new that is important like chiropractic research, eating healthy, etc.

We had homecoming at school last Friday. The speaker was fantastic in many areas. But two main points he made:

1. Food is fuel. Food should (for the most part) not cause an emotional response. Sugar and nicotine share the same biochemical receptors. Sugar is an addiction, and it illicits an emotional response (endorphins, etc.) sugar addiction is a real thing. (He talked about GMOs and organic food, but I won't get into that now)

2. In the ... Non-allosteric world? (Mainstream medicine) there had been research done showing EXERCISING IS READ IN THE BRAIN AS A NUTRIENT TO YOUR BODY. That your body and mind cannot function optimally without it... That you are not living life to its fullest without it. You MUST exercise to live a healthy life. I am from America, where the majority of all adults are obese. Not just overweight, but obese.

So here I am, months after my last challenge attempt, scrambling a bit. I've neglected my family, studies, body, most other things, and even if I don't post here regularly, what I need to do is take care of myself, which I'm not doing. My emotion here isn't really desparity, even if it seems so. It's more of a swift kick in the ass.

I need to set priorities and prepare for the next challenge. Not that I must report to the Rebellion, but the fact I know it'll help me stay on track means I should do it.

END.

////////now for a little extra if you want to read it///////

I've had a few adverse reactions lately, more so than I was before at least:

1. Syrup on pancakes/waffles - my wife makes great fancy breakfasts on the weekends since I get to be home with my fam early in the morning. We try not to use high fructose corn syrup pancake syrup. But the last... Few months I've been having really poor digestion and diarrhea. A few weeks ago I thought... Maybe it's the liquid sugar I'm putting on my pancakes!

Sure enough, no problems after removing syrup. Which makes sense.

2.Coffee - LOVE COFFEE! We drink coffee regularly on weekends, drinking Chemex to be specific. Always organic coffee too. I could drink a good portion of two pots myself. Jitters like crazy, and dehydration when drinking too much with not enough water. So my limit is 2 cups, usually 1.5

BUT! Has anyone discovered bulletproof coffee? Putting organic grass fed butter in black coffee. I use unsalted. It is supposed to level out energy levels during the day. I would say that it works for me as log as I don't have enough coffee to spike my energy already lol :)

Last thing: we purchased a quarter of grass fed beef for the winter/spring. Delicious, and actually very cost effective. We are starting to lean more organic because the cost of conventional food is getting to the point it's not much cheaper anymore.

//////////

• Like 1

Blackstroke, Reborn Assassin

Starting BW: 275 lb @ 5'11"
Long-term Goal: 200 lb (and body recomp)

Good for you for figuring out what was causing the stomach issues, and doing something about it. We bought a share of grass fed cow too. So delicious.

I disagree with the speaker on one point.I don't think food is just fuel. I have heard people say that before.But there is an emotional factor in eating too.. We do want to savor and enjoy our food. It can be a very joyful experience to sit down at dinner with family and have a good meal. But, where the fuel part come in, is eating something (usually sugar) when I am stressed, may make me forget the stress for 5 minutes, but then the stress will come right back. Food doesn't solve my problems, or take away my stress. 

• Like 3

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Good for you for figuring out what was causing the stomach issues, and doing something about it. We bought a share of grass fed cow too. So delicious.

I disagree with the speaker on one point.I don't think food is just fuel. I have heard people say that before.But there is an emotional factor in eating too.. We do want to savor and enjoy our food. It can be a very joyful experience to sit down at dinner with family and have a good meal. But, where the fuel part come in, is eating something (usually sugar) when I am stressed, may make me forget the stress for 5 minutes, but then the stress will come right back. Food doesn't solve my problems, or take away my stress. 

I agree with your disagreement! Food is so innately connected to emotion- in fact some studies have shown that people on low carb diets lose more weight but are less happy than people on low calorie diets, which seems to suggest that carbs are important in creating positive emotion! But I think it's important not to try and meet all our emotional needs with food- if the only source of happiness in our lives is carbs, then we've got a problem

I really like your post- it sounds like you know what to do! I hear you on the computer stuff getting in the way....perhaps a little sticky note on your monitor saying "what's important right now?" would prompt you to reflect on whether getting immersed in a game at that time is ok with you or if you want to use your time on something else?

Current Challenge: 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/63003-aella-travels-to-bree/

Level 3 | STR 8 | STA 1 | DEX 7 | CON 5 | 

:)

Yeah. Food is so connected to culture. Memories. Etc. Its so hard to break the chain of stress/emotion eating. I guess food isn't just for fuel, but when you put a LOT of food which has a deleterious effect on your body... and do it on a regular basis... It really isn't healthy. I am 90% sure I have a reaction to gluten, and obviously too much sugar. I used to be able to eat WHATEVER I wanted. And thought I was pretty healthy because I didn't eat twinkies or sweets everyday. My wife pointed out it was silly to eat garlic bread when eating spaghetti. Never even thought of it as carbs and more carbs. But bread-like products are so good!

I have done full paleo for a month and lost 12+ lbs with no problem. I've done a limited carb diet with lots of greens and lean protein. Eating 5/6 times a day, and went 275 --> 230ish in the 10 weeks before my wedding. And my digestive system was in much better shape. And I felt so good. And my physique was much improved. 

Why is it so hard to stick with it? Or make good choices? 

////

I have the day off today. So I am out of the house studying (talking to my assassins). I am actually off to get stuff done now for a bit. I had a really good week of studying, etc. last week after failing pretty miserably for a while. And this past weekend was just a flop again. Got get on the train and stay on it!

Having a pretty productive week and feeling pretty good :) does anybody else do the thing where they say to themselves "I can't start exercising today, I have to start on (x)day!" I do that. My day is Monday...

Really thinking I should join in the next challenge in full force - and do maintanence til then, which is not a bad thing at all. I think one good goal would be to update at least every other day to stay accountable.

I also get a bit bored if I don't spice it up a little bit... I get sick of doing the same circuit(s) 5 days a week, so I'll probably pick some from Neila Rey's website. I AM thinking of doing one bww challenge, and then move to mixing in either gymnastics (planche as a final goal) or parkouring (harder to do because I don't think I have a place to go) or maybe a bit of martial arts. We will see how it goes...

I think I am planning this next challenge to be based on BUILDING GOOD HABITS. I've had the. Before, but seriously flopping on them right now. I thrive with structure, so this could be good :)

1. Eat Well/PALEO: I'd say we are 80% of the way there right now. However, that 20% is what is causing lots of problems.

2. Exercise: 5 real workouts a week

3. Meditate/Worship:

-----------------------

I'm a Christian, and all of my friends know it. I try to live a life that honors my God (I say my God because I know others even here have a God different from mine). I believe very much that choosing to live this way strengthens my spirit, mind, etc. and also helps me to have compassion for other people (something I sometimes struggle with) and remove distractions. I also call what others call 'luck' favor.

This goal is my wanting to honor Him with my time during the day. Maybe everyday, maybe a few days a week and not just Sunday. This means reading my Bible or praying or journaling. Call it meditation, it helps me center me and helps to clear my brain of distractions.

I will choose to respect all others here who want to follow a religion, or not. It is not my place to judge you and where you are in life. It is my place to lift ya'll up. I will respond to questions on Christianity, but I don't plan to entertain excessive or rude criticism and expect my friends here to understand that.

------------------------

4. School: this is a tough one, and my (sort of) main priority. Need to study EFFICIENTLY. This means not looking at Facebook or NF during my scheduled study time. Also, SCHEDULE STUDY TIME!

5. Follow some kind of Chiropractic research: this goal will mostly be put in place to keep the fire burning. I've got probably 8 months still of straight basic sciences and its wearing me down. I don't get to adjust for the first time until a year from now. That sucks because that's what I'll be doing with most of my life.

6. Love my family well: dates with my wife, more time with my son, etc. more here later. This is really important.

7. Develop a hobby/interest outside of all this: I do have these, but I get distracted by trying to learn about every single subject on the planet.

END: these might be more generic goals. These aren't really action plans. Good thing I have a few weeks to prep :)

Short update:

Still haven't worked out. But I did get a LOT of exercise in today...

Our house manager (basically our landlord) was supposed to take care of fallen tree limbs and take trash (old rugs and towels, plastic tubes, old tire, etc) that were in the back yard when we moved in in March. Let's just say very few of the house maintanence things he is supposed to do have yet to get done... 7 months later.

So we haven't been mowing, weeding, or maintaining our backyard at all. Fast forward to now, and we have 10 foot weeds and thick grass and sticks... An overgrown nasty forest in our yard.

We are having our sons first birthday party next weekend and decided to start cleaning it last weekend. We wacked all the weeds and made limb piles last weekend... And today worked some more. But it was going to take hours and hours and maybe still not get done. I took a chance today and instead of raking ( in my opinion the worst chore there is) mowed it in hopes we could mulch everything in 5 or 6 hours instead of rake, piles stuff, then mow...

4-5 hours of non stop mowing and I won. I won it all. It looks amazing!

I'm estimating close to 10 miles of walking or more.

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Like 1

It really is awesome!!! :) Our dog got to run around back there a few times in the last 24 hours, he is so happy! He found something and started digging holes and rooting around. 

• Like 1

Tiny update:

Sunday I was quite efficient with my study time, except for a 40 minute period of time. This was an improvement for me recently. The test that was today went very well. I for sure got a B, maybe an A. The test was in my Histology class, on identifying connective tissue types, types of cells, and cell organelles just by seeing. I am pretty pleased with my perceived difficulty as it is supposed to be one of the most difficult tests we take in the class!\

Today was that test. In addition to that, I told myself to start slowly and build up until the next challenge. In order to do this, I completed do the BBWW posted on the main NF website. I wanted to just do some kind of workout. It seemed the best starting point as it was all laid out for me. So I did the exact workout one time (using a 20 lb kettlebell instead of a milk jug). It is checked off on my list, and I am okay with saying I accomplished today's workout goal. Nailed it.

Studying for another test for tomorrow and listening to AC4 soundtrack. My norm is the Skyrim theme on repeat, but I have a really hard time reading text while listening to music with any words... even if they are in dragon speech.

My wife is making bacon-wrapped meatballs. You jelly? :)

//PS: Been thinking about the next challenge, and I think I want to do it. I plan to do some sort of discipline goal, though it might be subjective aka how I perceived my study time, etc. This will be in addition to workouts, food, school, etc. My little helper/imagery today was the Monk class from Diablo III. Maybe not so much for the martial arts of our rebellion monks, but for the discipline and strength in the ideals of the passion and philosophy of monks. I imagined a little jedi knight in there too.//

NOTE: This is NOT to say the Assassin's have none of these qualities. Just looking at some imagery :)

Short update:

I read my first post on this page. It seems a bit sad.

I feel better and have for a few days.

More positivity, less negativity.

I've done quite well staying on task with school stuff lately. To get my little dose of video games in, I've just watched a little bit of gameplay (AC, Diablo 3) and read a little lore. Been doing it basically during breaks, this is improving.

//////////

Does anyone else play mmos or role playing games and either do the analysis or find another persons analysis to optimize your characters gear, damage output, etc? I do.

//////////

Should get a few grades back soon, both on tests I felt very confident on :) had a test last week... A very tough lab test... And did quite well on it.

Planning to exercise this afternoon fairly soon actually. Just a short one, but It is part of the building!

EDIT:

3 A's on those tests, 2 of them lab tests and 1 a lecture test. That's a good feeling.

Crazy weekend! Took two very long walks with hills with my son this weekend and had his birthday. Didn't eat too much at the party either :)

Got a new (refurbished) 2012 MacBook Pro. Can now watch movies :) to relax after our busy weekend, my wife and I are watching the new captain America while the little guy sleeps :)

Its been a few days!

This week I didn't do a great job of working out, but I've been working through some stuff. Had a tough test and while I didn't rock it, I did well enough to be happy with the score. 

Been dealing with some anxiety/anger stuff the last few months. No idea what has caused it, but I definitely don't have equilibrium. Looking into some meditation stuff as well as essential oils. Part of the problem is when I drink too much coffee the anxiety gets stimulated. I'm also an introvert and a bit of a perfectionist. So being around too many people for too long (introvert) + not feeling like I have studied enough (perfectionist) + who knows what else = crazy anxiety. 

3 tests this next week. If I study well (get off all social media, have no distractions) I will do pretty good. If not, this could be a tough week. Ugh. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines