• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nesler

Paleo/Primal lunch for the field service worker?

Okay, technically I'm an engineer working with power systems protection, but there are plenty of jobs where I'm out at another site for 12-hour shifts. I've been looking to get some ideas for Paleo/Primal foods I can keep on hand during these shifts that doesn't require refrigeration (meals are typically eaten in our vehicles).

My usual lunch has been a fruit (apple or banana), vegetable (cherry tomatoes or bell peppers), and nuts. It's been a good lunch combo so far, but I'd like to add on another filling protein source (nuts can get bland after a while). Sometimes I'll throw in a Clif or KIND bar, but I feel like there should be some good Paleo/Primal alternatives to this.

are you a vegetarian or vegan? if not boiled eggs keep forever, and most meat will stay good during the day in a lunchbox depending on the weather.

My lunch tends to be priority protein :P

I did like having boiled eggs on hand for lunch, but I never knew how long they kept outside of the fridge. My only worry for meat would be that my hotel room wouldn't have a fridge, although I suppose that could easily be solved by keeping a cooler on hand.

I'll definitely keep the eggs in mind for future trips.

• Like 1

I did like having boiled eggs on hand for lunch, but I never knew how long they kept outside of the fridge. My only worry for meat would be that my hotel room wouldn't have a fridge, although I suppose that could easily be solved by keeping a cooler on hand.

I'll definitely keep the eggs in mind for future trips.

Would it be out of the question to purchase daily? A rotisserie chicken would be amazing and delicious :)

Would it be out of the question to purchase daily? A rotisserie chicken would be amazing and delicious :)

I usually just buy a mass of groceries at the start of a job and feed off that, but I could purchase daily if needed. I'd also need to remember to bring a couple containers with me so I'd have a place to keep the meat in.

I know this is old, but my favorite packed lunch that doesn't require refrigeration if you have a decent lunch box to insulate (although it's better if you put an ice pack in there)

-broccoli slaw

-packet of tuna or salmon (those pouches, read the ingredients)

-a few almonds

-one of those single serving guacamole

• Like 1

I'd echo cassie 0825's suggestion of pouch (or easy-open-canned) tuna - when I've gone on longer hikes, I've taken canned tuna that was flavored, and was happy with that.

If you do have access off-work to a freezer, then use an ice pack to keep your meat cold and safe!

If you're eating paleo, you're probably not eating legumes, which would have been another awesome source, sadly! (hummus, lentil salads, etc)

Primal does dairy, right? 'Cause then you've got cheese (string, cheddar, babybels) and cottage cheese! Again, ice pack comes in handy if you hate room temperature string cheese, like me.

Jerky, as mentioned, can be great - just be careful of salt content!