Beard appreciation thread

2 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

My wife hates (refuses) to kiss me when I have a full beard with a moustache; it's awesome (sarcasm)

My wife is the other way around.  If I shave, I become baby-face and she doesn't wanna kiss me.  She likes the beard.

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

My wife used to be that way, until I convinced her to not give me grief for a year while I tried it. At the end of the year, I shaved it, and she said grow it back, because she got used to it and got wierded out by me looking like a child post shave. Same has happened to a few friends. I chalk it up to our wives not realizing that they like the masculinity of the beards until they have it, then have it taken away.

I'm actually wanting to grow the goat out Chinese sage style. Any tricks or product recommendations to assist would be aporeciated.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

My bf gets his beard trimmed when he gets his hair cut, but the lass always makes a bit of an arse of it. There seems to be a "shelf" going on. I'll see if I can get pics.

Anyway, he wants me to have a go at trimming and shaping his beard, but I have NO CLUE how to do it, at least not without making an arse of it. 

Any help or or advice is warmly welcomed. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

My bf gets his beard trimmed when he gets his hair cut, but the lass always makes a bit of an arse of it. There seems to be a "shelf" going on. I'll see if I can get pics.

Anyway, he wants me to have a go at trimming and shaping his beard, but I have NO CLUE how to do it, at least not without making an arse of it. 

Any help or or advice is warmly welcomed. 

I have the same issue, so I've been working on doing it myself. It really is just trial and error and figuring out what works for you. It's an art, I appreciate a good barber so much more now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have the same issue, so I've been working on doing it myself. It really is just trial and error and figuring out what works for you. It's an art, I appreciate a good barber so much more now.

A-ha! I've been waiting to see you post somewhere so I can post this...

ec3655b77921756707049bfeaff5e985.jpg

Ok, so the name isn't quite right, but it's close enough. Ah, the things you find on Google. :D

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

I've seen a few of them on the internet now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Just heard about this thread so here is my contribution, my transformation to mountain man is coming along:

Spoiler

14971392_10209184305783058_179735373_n.j

• Like 1

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

I can't get into too many specifics yet, but I took on a position with my buddy's beard oil company today.  Pretty freaking stoked.  Going to be taking over the Webdesign/Marketing side of things. Woo!

Edited to add: We're just going over the business side of things first, paperwork, cost to produce, what little overhead is involved..then I get to start working on the fun stuff.  Nice thing is he and I were both General Managers of franchises for the same company, so we have very similar thought processes and know quite a bit about running a business already.  Should be a perfect match-up! 

• Like 5

Last year my beard looked it's best when I trimmed it up just before the shave so this year I have been working on shaping it.  As it gets longer I keep giving it more of a bevel... point... whatever.  Damn thing grows in grayer every year.

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Yea I'm trying to do the same thing so I don't end up looking like a una-bomber or something; (tan skin + long ragged beard = more random security stops)

I'm letting/hoping it will come in all white just so I can make some extra cash around the Holiday season

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

On 13/12/2016 at 3:10 PM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Yea I'm trying to do the same thing so I don't end up looking like a una-bomber or something; (tan skin + long ragged beard = more random security stops)

Put some braids and beads into it so you look more like a crusty hippie. :P 

On 18/12/2016 at 4:50 PM, Anim07734 said:

Been meaning to post here for a while and finally got a good picture at the office holiday party last night.

30899092463_8f1036c27d_z.jpg

Dude!!!  That's awesome!

Unwaxed....bonus pic has my puppy in it (hiking at fort pillow: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vwmcciBdx00BZz362)

Waxed up during a hike this past summer/fall (church retreat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wGksTUJzKwcwQMy02)

Shaved it once, wife screamed...didn't talk to me for two days (was kinda nice)...then she started talking but wouldn't make eye contact :apologetic:

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

jw.jpg

• Like 4

Rebel | Level 1 

STR: 0.0 | CON: 0.0 | STA: 0.0 | WIS: 0.0 | DEX: 0.0 | CHA: 0.0 [Starting over] Battle Log ~ Current Challenge

Spoiler

"Don't fear failure. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail." Bruce Lee

"The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, TO CONQUER." Arnold Schwarzenegger

Weight loss goal: 188 to 165 (Currently 188)

0%
0%

25 straight daily workouts 11/27 - 12/21 (Currently 4/25)

16%
16%

I have no pictures of a beard of my own (follically challenged in the chin and cheek regions), but will happily help revive this thread by appreciating everyone else's beards.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I'm leaning towars going long again.

Had a longish "wild man" but never really "took care" of it save a little beard oil.

I'm already working on lowering my neckline and possible trimming down of handlebars (full loops right now)

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

I just realised how I can contribute! :)

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50