The Inevitable Return of the Great White Dope

After a couple months of persistent injuries, PT, a new home buy and subsequent move, and a powerlifting meet that all these things conspired to make not happen... well... it's probably time to rethink how and why I train. I woke up this morning a 31 year old cripple, the same as I have intermittently for the past decade. Maybe I should think about making that not a thing before I decide on a meet. Tonight was the first time in a while that I could stand up without feeling like I'd shit my sacrum out or tear a glute when I sneeze. That meant it was time to train.

Bench press: 10 @ 95, 135, 155

Pendlay row: 5 @ 135; 5,7 @ 155

Incline curl: 5@ 30; 12,8 @ 20

Face pull: 2x15 with EFS light band

I feel like a million bucks, but who knows if I'll be able to walk in the morning.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Welcome back Dopey! :wub:

Glad to have you among the walking again!

I know how that all goes, the whole waking up and not being able to move... I've been getting weekly sports massages, and I think that is honestly whats kept me walking... 

Can't wait for you to bring back the awesome sir. :)

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Let us know, does the El walk this morn?

Sent from Tapatalk, all errors are the app's fault! ;-)

Spoiler

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

The El hobbled this morning, which is a vast improvement. I felt pretty awesome when I got home from my folks house tonight, so after dinner it was yet again time to train.

Axle clean and push press: 10 @ 110, 8 @ 120, 6 @ 130, cleaned first rep

Bent press: singles each hand @ 30, 40, 50

Chin-ups: ladder set up to 6 with 30 secondish rests

Zercher squat: 10 @ 20 (bare axle), 10 @ 70, 8 @ 110

I started jerking the axle but decided to stick with push pressing it. Jerking is fun for heavy singles but keeping them feeling the same from rep-to-rep through a set is just a pain in the ass. All the cleans were done double overhand and presses were all false gripped.

Bent press... I think I am in fucking love. I don't understand how a 50 pound DB can make me as light-headed as a heavy pull, but it does. These felt awesome for shoulder stability and they smoked my abs. I'll be getting these done at least once a week when I get some real programming nailed down.

My lower lats and biceps are ridiculously sore after yesterday, so I didn't expect much out of chins. I should have had higher hopes. These were fast and violent, but the last rep of set 6 was grindy so I called it there.

I haven't done a Zercher squat in at least a year, and hadn't planned on doing them tonight either. My back was feeling awesome after everything else but I didn't want to gamble with putting a bar on my back. Since Zerchers end up so underloaded I thought they'd be a safer bet and I was right. My quads are feeling a little from them, but my abs are crying.

Maybe all that bullshit that jdanger was spewing about getting the ab work done had some merit.

Maybe that's why I've been a cripple.

and Maybe I'll stop being a bitch and start doing the shit I hate doing, like taking lightweight sets to failure and not being so dogmatic about needing to squat, pull, and bench heavy to get stronger.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Ab-work annoys the shit out of me, but I can't argue with the results, i. E. feeling more balanced and more able to support whatever my back is doing. It should also help with the chin-ups. So yeah..

start doing the shit I hate doing

This right here.

Also I'm glad I've got another log back on my reading list.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Maybe I'll stop being a bitch and start doing the shit I hate doing.

Coach calls it the "hopper model" put every workout into a hopper, like in bingo, and think of the workout you DONT want to pull out... Most likely it's the one you need the most...

Of course that's the crossfit mantra of varied functional movements... So take what you will from it...

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Neck-ring-pushup.jpg

Do you even WOD, bro?

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Okay, please expound upon the bent press and why you are doing it.  I'm not ragging on it, just curious why you're choosing that obscure lift of all things.

I'm doing the bent press because I have this bizarre idea that training almost exclusively in the sagittal plane is leading to my recurrent SI joint problems. Stabilizers  apparently aren't being trained enough. When I find myself carrying a dishwasher by myself or bringing a dryer down the basement stairs I end up getting hurt... again. I'm going to be doing more odd lifts, hoping to bulletproof my pelvis once I am all put back together.

Rag on the bent press all you like. It's a fucked up lift that was born in an age before the idea of rotator cuff tears or disc herniation. It still has an effect on the shoulder, lats, and abs that I've never felt in any other movement.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Pelvis of steel! ;)

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

I didn't get home from work til 12:30 last night and had to be back in Albany at 8:00 for a PALS class. Couple that with having no time to walk out my back before an hour+ drive, and the dept secretary giving me the wrong address, today was shaping up to be a complete pile of dogshit. Here's where "blah blah, judge, book, cover, blah blah" kicked me in the face. My back was feeling great after about three steps from my car, and having taught PALS myself for 4 years found myself in the most informative classroom since I was still in RT school. So with a shiny new card and 8 hours of overtime I came home, filled up a mason jar with Gatorade, and got some shit done.

Floor press: 10 @ 45, 95, 135 then 8,5,3 @ 155, rest-pause with 30 second rests

Zombie squat: 10 @ 45,95; 8 @ 115

Axle deadlift, double overhand: 5 @ 110, 160, 200

Incline Zottman curl: 14,6,4 rest-pause @ 20

I had my wife give me a spot on the RP floor presses but only needed her on the last set. I used a barely legal bench grip and flared big time. Major chest contractions were made and my rear delts feel like they got worked pretty hard, too.

I'm still staying away from putting a bar across my back, so decided to do the Walking Dead bit. My abs are fucking pathetic. These had no business being this hard. I got a bit of a pull in my left glute in the bottom on a couple reps but nothing worrisome.

I have somehow neglected just deadlifting my axle until tonight. I'm not sure how that got past me. I wanted to make sure my grip limited me so I didn't jack myself up. I don't get what all the fuss is about with "hook grip" this and "switch grip" that. My hands have a pump in them though, which is always kind of a bizarre feeling.

Incline Zottman curls followed by holding the DBs in my hand and letting my biceps stretch to the point that my shoulders almost dislocated. The pump is real, people. The pump is real.

• Like 2

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I hung my rings this morning so I did some rings shit.

Ring chins: 2x5 properly, about 20 more spread throughout the day

Ring pushup with unilateral flyes at the bottom: 3x3

Ring pushup: 2x10

Rings things are so much harder than bar and ground things. My arms had the Parkinson's shakes while I was doing pushups. I tried to do some dips before everything and got one good clean rep in.

• Like 3

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Strict press: 10 @ 45, 95; 5 @ 105, 115; triple @ 125; single @ 135

Superset with a ladder set of ring chins, up to 6

Bent press: singles each hand @ 10, 30

4 inverted hangs

Top position static holds: 2x2 to failure

Pressing felt PR good today, but it just wasn't meant to be. Ring chins were fucking evil and made everything hurt really bad. My glutes were too tight to get much work in on the bent press.

Oh, rings shit. My inverted "hangs" were more like inverted swinging seizures. My first rep turned into a fast and uncontrolled skin the cat but the rest stopped at inverted. My abs were crushed by the end of these so I figured I'd do some easy top position holds. Fuck. Me. My best was probably around 7 seconds, my abs were cramping, and I almost blacked out after my last hold. A crossfitter once told me that rings were the most humbling thing in the gym. He was right.

• Like 2

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Bench: 10@ 45; 5 @ 95, 135, 155; triples @ 175, 185, 190

Close-grip floor press: 9,4,3 rest-pause @ 155

Ring chins: 7,3,2 rest-pause

Top position holds: 3 to failure, 20+ seconds

I wanted to do axle clean and press this morning but my low back is still angry enough to say no to cleaning that early in the morning. I dropped the bench in the rack instead and hit a rough triple at 190. I wanted to get a lot more chins in, but my upper back was a little rough after benching. Top position holds are getting easier but I can't get my shoulders externally rotated properly. It'll come in time.

It was quick and dirty today. I overslept a bit and then spent a lot of time on the baseball before getting out under the bar.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"