Bar chins: 8,8,7

Axle curl: 10 @ 60, 2x8 @ 70

3-way raises: 3x10 @ 15

Cable pushdown: 3x10 @ 88 - 10 @ 70 drop set

So much awesome today.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

RE deadlift

18" deadlift: 10 @ 275, 315 - rep PR

High (3") box squat: 5 @ 225, 245, 265, 275

Power shrug: 5 @ 315, 5x5 @ 405 and 10 @ 315 drop set

Hyper: 15 @ bw; 15,20 +25

superset with

Roll-out: 3x10

I had to drive 90 minutes this morning without any mobility work and I felt like a cripple when I got there. The ride home wasn't so bad and I always feel better after training. Today was no exception.

I've figured out how to get some quad into the 18" deadlift and it is helping break the bar off the blocks a lot faster. These felt fucking awesome. I think the deadlift is going to be my best event at the show. Next block I'll be maxing on it so I know what my opener should be.

Jdanger would crucify me, but amongst strongmen and some powerlifters the high box is regarded pretty highly for deadlift assistance. They feel great, hit everything that I want them to, and keep my form identical from rep-to-rep so I don't hurt myself again.

Shrugs were nice and I had my wife strip a plate while I did the other and got a good dropset in. Much trap and back pump.

Hypers always feel great. I really need to stop skipping them because my low back is a pretty obvious weakness. I took my roll-outs all the way til my quads were on the deck, hence the drop in usual reps.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I was pulling with my knees at a slightly negative angle to have some stretch on my hams like a really exaggerated RDL. I backed my feet up a little and keep my shoulders over the bar at the start instead of arching into position when I pull the slack out. It feels a lot more solid and faster off the blocks.

My high box squats are about 3" high. If you try them after pulling you should feel why Beck and Thigpen both love it as deadlift assistance. They're no squat replacement fa sho, though.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Morning weigh-in: 183.4 - work weekend, shitty sleep

RE squat

Low bar squat: 10 @ 225, 7 @ 235

Arch-back good morning: 5 @ 135, 185, 225

DB side bend: 2x10 @ 80

Roll-out, quads on the deck: 2x12

Much mobility done this morning and my squats felt awesome. I wanted to get another couple at 235 but I was getting a little sloppy and didn't want to risk recovery. Everything else was pretty unremarkable.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

DE press

DB jerk: 8x3 @ 60 (4 each side)

Incline bench: 10 @ 95, 5 @ 135, 2x8 @ 115

superset with

Ring chins: 2x5, 2x6

Hammer curl: 10,10,8 @ 35

3-way shoulder raise: 3x10 @ 15

Cable pushdown: 10 @ 70; 12,8,6 @ 88 rest-pause

DB jerks were fast and awesome. Incline bench sucked balls. Everything else was just business as usual.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I scored an EliteFTS P2 lever on sale for $89. It's 13mm and fucking awesome. I suggest buying either a P2, Inzer, or Best belt. They will all outlive you.

The P2 is the sexiest of the lot. LBEB's belt is made by the same company.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I'm looking at getting the 13mm lever belt from strengthshop. I use the double prong version at the gym now and really like it (granted I have never really tried another belt). I was hoping that most of us used the 10mm as its $10-15 cheaper.

I don't put much stock in them at that price. If your funds are a little short I can definitely relate but needing to spend it again in 3 years when the belt is floppy and worthless isn't much of a value compared to an Inzer, EFS, or Best with a lifetime guarantee that you'll never need to use.

They also may be made to IPF spec but aren't on the IPF approved list if you care about that. EFS isn't either because fuck the IPF.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

They also may be made to IPF spec but aren't on the IPF approved list if you care about that. EFS isn't either because fuck the IPF.

The strengthshop lever belts are but the double prong belts aren't.

And I mean given that the belt I use now is at the mercy of every Tom, Dick and Harry at my gym who wants to use it I feel pretty confident dropping $60 for it to last 3-5 years minimum.

Bro day

Bench press: 10, 8 @ 155

Slingshot close-grip bench: 2x8 @ 155

Fat grip high incline bench: 10 @ 40, 2x10 @ 45

superset with

Bar chins: 8,8,5

Fat hammer curls: 10,10,8 @ 30

Nothing felt right today but the work got done.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Haven't seen you pressing the log lately but next time you do, get a video.

Worked with the 145# log today and my cleans sucks dick. Looks a fuck ton better than my first time with the log but I feel like I'm not getting my hips into it enough

It isn't a main movement for another couple weeks but I'll be hitting it for reps on Monday. I'll try to get video.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks. I took video and I'll have it up this weekend or Monday. But pretty sure I just lap it for WAY too long.

Thinking about dropping my bench variations for now and doing more overhead work

I'm going to stop lapping it and start deadlifting it. Watching Chase Karnes and everyone at the log lift championships got me thinking about it. Eventually it's going to be too heavy to row so I might as well start deadlifting it now. From there it looks just like a hang clean.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

http://youtu.be/8ZJYpZTGPFk

This is generally how I've been doing them minus the short lapping. I stopped rowing it and have been dead lifting it up the last 3 or 4 times I've done them

ME deadlift day

Conventional deadlift: triple @ 315, singles @ 365, 385

High box squat (DE): 2x3, 5x2 @ 225

GHR: 7,8 / Razor curl: 10

superset with

Roll-out: 3x10

The friend that got me into the iron in a real way is moving away to NC in a week. He's bitched up on training with me twice in the past but finally showed up. He's regretting not making an appearance before but he knows when he wanders north again he has a temple to pray in.

My single at 385 was slower but much cleaner than it was last cycle but anything heavier would have been a miss. This was my last max-out on the conventional pull til after my contest and it was pretty anti-climactic. Nick hit 365 for a single pulling sumo. He trains 5/3/1.

Assistance work was awesome. Having Nick here really got me dialled in on firing my glutes instead of my quads while coming off the box which really changed the game. He couldn't do a single GHR but managed some razor curls while I keep getting a little better on them every week.

Next week brings ME squat, RE press, and DE deadlifts. I couldn't have arranged a week of shit I hate doing more.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Boredom training day

Strict press: 15 @ 65, 12 @ 85, 8 @ 95, 7 @ 105, 3 @ 115

T-bar row: 15 @ 50, 12 @ 75, 10 @ 100, 8 @ 125, 5 @ 150

Overhead triceps extension: 30 w/ 25lb plate

EZ-bar skullcrusher: 30 @ 35 to the mouth, 20 @ 35 to the forehead

Straight bar curl: 25,12,12 rest pause with the bare bar

Reverse ring flyes: 3x10

Last night over on reddit there was an AMA with some dude's dad. Normally such mundane shit would have caught a downvote except this dude's dad was swole as fuck. He trained with Arnold, Zane, Platz, Lou... This dude was a time walking capsule that was talking about everything from gear to 100 rep squats. I held off on my need to train til this evening. I feel like I'm gonna die.

I haven't been doing nearly enough in the gym and I have no one to blame but myself. I'm not growing how I could and I'm not getting stronger like I need to. I should feel like I do right now every time I leave the gym.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

ME squat

High bar squat: singles @ 275, 315, 325 - FUCK YEA PR!!!

Low bar squat: 20 @ 185 - rep PR

Good morning, 3x8 @ 135

Hyper: 3x20 @ bw

superset with

Roll-outs: 3x10

Bilateral leg extensions: 3x20 @ 97

superset with

Unilateral standing hamstring curl: 3x10 @ 71

Yea... that just happened.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Nice... little Widowmaker set after setting a single rep PR.  Beastly sir. 

Widowmakers are going to be a squat day staple. I need more volume without a lot of time investment.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Congrats dude! Happy to see not only are you staying healthy but getting stronger continuously.

I haven't hit a squat PR in close to a year. I've been doing just enough weight to hurt myself and not enough volume to get stronger.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"