A "Gross" Question about Running

So I want to remain as non-disgusting as I can be with this question.

I've found that when I go running in the mornings, I usually get half-way of my total distance (I set a distance and run that far out) and my body suddenly feels the need to use the bathroom.

Is there a good way to maybe prevent this so my runs don't end with me trying to maintain a balance of light running and rear clenching? 

Again, I don't want to be 'gross', but the topic is not exactly normal. 

I apologize, but any advice would really be appreciated. 

Captain Rogers

Race: Human

Class: Ranger-Apprentice

Level: 2

STR:  3, DEX: 1, STA: 5 CON: 3, WIS: 1, CHA: 0

Challenges:  N/A

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."

Road Less Travelled: 1st Challenge Complete (NOV 10th-DEC 21st)

We may need a bit more information. Do you use the bathroom before you head out? How much water are you drinking before and during?

I've very rarely run into an issue with having to use the bathroom during my runs, and part of that is that I make sure to use the bathroom before I start. For a training run, I often don't drink water at all during the run (mostly because I don't want to run with a water bottle or hydration belt) and I only drink before I head out if my throat is feeling particularly dry, but everyone has their methods that work for them.

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

You have to train yourself to poop before you go out for a morning run; because I think all the jostling gets things moving so poo monster would try to strike while half way through a run; and the only way I found to combat that is to go before hand.

This isn't as uncommon as you would think.

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

We may need a bit more information. Do you use the bathroom before you head out? How much water are you drinking before and during?

Blkhole, I don't use the bathroom before I head out.  That may be because I'm running early morning (6 AM) and I don't feel the need to until later.  Also, I'm drinking a few gulps of water before and a bottle after. 

Captain Rogers

You have to train yourself to poop before you go out for a morning run; because I think all the jostling gets things moving so poo monster would try to strike while half way through a run; and the only way I found to combat that is to go before hand.

This isn't as uncommon as you would think.

This is what I was thinking...  Maybe take in more fiber to combat it so I get things handled before the run? 

And I'm glad to hear this isn't uncommon, because I was a little embarassed about it.  When I use to run all the time, I really didn't have this problem, but I was younger then. 

Captain Rogers

Not something I've personally experienced (I don't often run first thing in the morning, and when I do it's pretty short), but I've seen it mentioned before so you're definitely not alone!

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Hohoho I have the same happen to me very often when I'm strength training (I don't run... yet), but then there's always a bathroom around :)

To me it feels like something natural, like you're moving and things begin to move around. Your body is waking up and all... But I get how annoying it must be with running...

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Very, very normal in my experience. I used to have soldiers who tried to make a habit of using the latrine mid-run as a way of getting out of the full PT session on run days, and I'll tell you what I told them (which is what I've worked out for myself over the years):

Wake up 30 min - 1 hour prior to your scheduled time; drink 1 full 8 oz glass of water/1 regular cup of coffee (or both) immediately upon rising; do some light calisthenics 10-15 min prior to your actual run if the urge to go hasn't hit you yet, but - regardless of whether your bowels are in the mood - always take a moment on the throne before you head out for good.

Make it part of your normal routine and eventually your body will get in line.

• Like 2

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I have to agree with all the "Drink lots of water" and make sure to ascend the Golden Throne of Man at night and first thing after waking up.  Maybe stretch a little before beginning the morning constitutional.  Your body will react to the throne being available, rather than prodding you to go.

I so thought about this thread today when I was swimming! I got to the pool ok, but when I started swiming breaststrokes, vigorously, it kind of puts pressure on the abs, you know... which, like, cover your bowels... I didn't feel the urge to poop but I had some good gas in there. The secret is to go under water and blow a lot of air bubbles, then nobody will notice you're actually farting hehehe

• Like 2

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Heh.. I know where there are fig trees growing near where I live (big, smooth leaves), and ditches and dells where I can squat so noone can see me.... another reason why running in the woods is the best  :nevreness:

• Like 1

Level 1 Norse-Gael Minotaur driscool of the Valley of the Arroyomalhuele, otherwise Paradise Keep, otherwise the House of the Clan Huracan. 

me or the future: who blinks first?

STR 4 | STA 4  | CON 3 | WIS 3 | DEX 1

When I can't run in the woods... I try to plan my route so that there's a public restroom 1.5-2 miles into the jog. If possible, I'll postpone a run an hour if it means I can get a quality dump in the AM before I go running! 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs