Soreness or Back injury?

So I started doing deadlifts last Tuesday(70lbs) and the next day, lower back was sore. Same thing Thursday and even today, it is still sore.(Probably shouldn't have done deadlifts while sore :P)

It doesn't feel like a muscle pain though and that's what has me worried. I plan to stay off deadlifts until my back feels better(I do plan to work on my form in the mean time) but for anyone else who has dealt with this, how long did it take for the the pain to go away?

What's your weight and height?

I think you'd have to do the deadlift VERY wrong to damage your back in a non-muscular way at 70 pounds. Is this your first time doing a back exercise?

Yea it's first time. I found something warning against rounding my back and that may have something to do with it. If you don't think that's possible to injure myself, then it must be muscle soreness.

Can you tie your shoes and sit down to drop a deuce without crying? If answers to both are yes, then it's just soreness. If either answer is no, then you jacked something up. Do post up a form check either way.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Yea it's first time. I found something warning against rounding my back and that may have something to do with it. If you don't think that's possible to injure myself, then it must be muscle soreness.

I'm no doctor. I'm just saying it sounds quite strange. Do the tests suggested :)

I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt, but: most of my friends with back injuries stop moving and start gasping for breath when it kicks in.

If you can still function and it reminds you of muscle soreness, I'd bet money that's what it is.

But if you can, I agree with everyone else suggesting a form video.

I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt, but: most of my friends with back injuries stop moving and start gasping for breath when it kicks in.

If you can still function and it reminds you of muscle soreness, I'd bet money that's what it is.

But if you can, I agree with everyone else suggesting a form video.

When my SI joint slips, it doesn't start hurting bad enough to effect me outside training until the next day. As far as I know, I don't have any disc dysfunction though, just a shitty pelvis.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Like others said, if it just feels like bad workout sorensss, that's probably all it is. If you strained a back msucle, it would twinge a bit sharply when you tried to use it at best, drop you to your knees with tears in your eyes and make you crawl across the floor to get around at worse. Give it a bit if you are unsure. Generally warming up thuroughly with a light weight (30%, or just bodyweight) using those muscles will alleviate much of the soreness if that's all it is.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf