Let's talk about sweat

Razzy

And more specifically, how to get it out of your clothes.

I may be a mutant or something, but I can sweat like the dickens. Either I'm freezing my butt off or I'm soaking through the arms of my shirts, and it's getting really annoying. We all know that deodorant causes those nasty brown stains in your clothes when you sweat -- but I didn't several years ago. Now I've got some nice shirts with unsightly brown circles and no amount of washing gets it out. Not even Oxiclean. Ideas?

Also, has anyone had a problem where they can't get that sweaty smell out of their clothes at all, even after a good wash? Heck, has anyone ever had trouble getting that sweaty smell off THEMSELVES after a good workout? Help me out here, girls, I'm in trouble.

(While this is issue isn't exclusive to women, I put it here because 1) Men either don't care/don't have issues with it, 2) lots of men's clothes are dark and thus stains don't show up, 3) men can wear undershirts to easily prevent this problem, whereas women's fashion makes this option rather... obsolete.)

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

And more specifically, how to get it out of your clothes.

I may be a mutant or something, but I can sweat like the dickens. Either I'm freezing my butt off or I'm soaking through the arms of my shirts, and it's getting really annoying. We all know that deodorant causes those nasty brown stains in your clothes when you sweat -- but I didn't several years ago. Now I've got some nice shirts with unsightly brown circles and no amount of washing gets it out. Not even Oxiclean. Ideas?

Also, has anyone had a problem where they can't get that sweaty smell out of their clothes at all, even after a good wash? Heck, has anyone ever had trouble getting that sweaty smell off THEMSELVES after a good workout? Help me out here, girls, I'm in trouble.

(While this is issue isn't exclusive to women, I put it here because 1) Men either don't care/don't have issues with it, 2) lots of men's clothes are dark and thus stains don't show up, 3) men can wear undershirts to easily prevent this problem, whereas women's fashion makes this option rather... obsolete.)

Guy here....

1) It's possible that a lot of the "B.O." smell that you might feel is the sweaty smell, might just be your natural odor.

2) You could always wear darker colors, nothing stopping that.

3) Assuming this is for work, I've seen plenty of women where I work wearing collared shirts, this would allow for an undershirt pretty easily. I'd also entertain wearing a undershirt instead of a tank top or the spaghetti strap shirts that I see women wear under the shear shirts.

As for removing existing stains, I got nothing on that, no one I know has ever had that issue.

Just a couple thoughts from the other side of the aisle.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Vinegar! I pour white vinegar in the wash every time I wash my workout clothes. I am a sweaty beast when I exercise and yes, if the clothes sit, they are not so fresh. I just buy the giant jugs of vinegar and pour some straight into the wash water and then I also fill up the liquid fabric softener spot to the top with vinegar. I don't measure it at all but I'm guessing I put 1/2-1 cup in the wash water itself.

I don't think that removing existing stains works well at all. You might just have to start over with those pieces. Once the stink and color is in there, it just doesn't really come out.

As for deodorant--have  you tried the clinical varieties? Many moons ago, I started to think that I was having an issue with body odor. I asked my husband several times and he was all "oh nooo, I don't smell you." Then my sister visited one day and said "dude, you stink." Thank goodness for sisters, right? Anyway, I switched over to Secret Platinum which had 18-19% of the active ingredient and all was well. But then they changed their varieties and, over the years, I just went ahead and switched to the clinical kind. I use Degree Clinical Protection now. I can't remember the scent but it's one that is a clear gel, which I recommend to avoid white spots on your clothes.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I asked my husband several times and he was all "oh nooo, I don't smell you."

There are many others like him :-)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK_kkg42huk

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

*sings lets talk about sweat baby, lets talk about you and me. lets talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be*

sorry couldn't help myself :P

i um, dont sweat that much. which is nice, but it also means my advice is kinda worthless in this situation. that being said i wear a lot of singlets/tank tops in general and my workout tops are quickly all becoming crops as summer is coming. 

if your shirts are several years old id recommend replacing them - some times its not worth fixing a stain. otherwise ima second silo and say vinegar. i get a lot of dirt/grass stains and vinegar really helps lift them out. that said they're training gear and i dont really care for them to be pristine clean, so your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Guy here....

1) It's possible that a lot of the "B.O." smell that you might feel is the sweaty smell, might just be your natural odor.

2) You could always wear darker colors, nothing stopping that.

3) Assuming this is for work, I've seen plenty of women where I work wearing collared shirts, this would allow for an undershirt pretty easily. I'd also entertain wearing a undershirt instead of a tank top or the spaghetti strap shirts that I see women wear under the shear shirts.

As for removing existing stains, I got nothing on that, no one I know has ever had that issue.

Just a couple thoughts from the other side of the aisle.

lol, Love getting advice from the other side of the aisle! All are welcome in the Republic.

1. Why would you ever tell a woman (or anyone, for that matter) that "BO is your natural smell!" If this is true, I'm killing myself to spare everyone else the unpleasant presence of eau da Razzy.

2) Darker colors aren't the issue, it's the sweaty odor left behind even after a wash. :(

3. Not for work, but that is a good idea. I shall look into undershirts more. I'm still at the college scene and for some reason the classroom building I'm in always seems to have the thermostat cranked to 'Sauna'. Layering would make me sweat more.

(Also, I am jesting in #1, so no hard feelings!)

Vinegar! I pour white vinegar in the wash every time I wash my workout clothes. I am a sweaty beast when I exercise and yes, if the clothes sit, they are not so fresh. I just buy the giant jugs of vinegar and pour some straight into the wash water and then I also fill up the liquid fabric softener spot to the top with vinegar. I don't measure it at all but I'm guessing I put 1/2-1 cup in the wash water itself.

I don't think that removing existing stains works well at all. You might just have to start over with those pieces. Once the stink and color is in there, it just doesn't really come out.

As for deodorant--have  you tried the clinical varieties? Many moons ago, I started to think that I was having an issue with body odor. I asked my husband several times and he was all "oh nooo, I don't smell you." Then my sister visited one day and said "dude, you stink." Thank goodness for sisters, right? Anyway, I switched over to Secret Platinum which had 18-19% of the active ingredient and all was well. But then they changed their varieties and, over the years, I just went ahead and switched to the clinical kind. I use Degree Clinical Protection now. I can't remember the scent but it's one that is a clear gel, which I recommend to avoid white spots on your clothes.

Huh. I never would have thought of that. Well I will definitely try that, thanks for the specific amounts! And your clothes don't smell vinegary afterward at all?

I've had great success removing stains with Oxyclean, but only on whites.... otherwise, despite the label, it will leave white spots on your clothes. The best thing for oil stains -- such as might be left on a high collar from rubbing against the hair or hairline -- is shampoo or dish soap. Best thing ever. Don't know why I mention this now, I just felt i had to share something. :P

I have never heard of the clinical varieties of deodorant! Thank you for sharing this glorious news! (Also, I feel your pain in regards to family not telling you something obvious. It's impossible to get good writing feedback from them -- they just nod and smile.) Degree Clinical Protection is going on my shopping list. Thank you!

*sings lets talk about sweat baby, lets talk about you and me. lets talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be*

sorry couldn't help myself :tongue:

i um, dont sweat that much. which is nice, but it also means my advice is kinda worthless in this situation. that being said i wear a lot of singlets/tank tops in general and my workout tops are quickly all becoming crops as summer is coming. 

if your shirts are several years old id recommend replacing them - some times its not worth fixing a stain. otherwise ima second silo and say vinegar. i get a lot of dirt/grass stains and vinegar really helps lift them out. that said they're training gear and i dont really care for them to be pristine clean, so your mileage may vary.

By all means, sing away~ ^_^

A second vote for vinegar! Most good, I shall indeed pursue this avenue. And here I was despairing at the depressing prices of stain removes that come in depressingly small quantities.

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.

lol, Love getting advice from the other side of the aisle! All are welcome in the Republic.

1. Why would you ever tell a woman (or anyone, for that matter) that "BO is your natural smell!" If this is true, I'm killing myself to spare everyone else the unpleasant presence of eau da Razzy.

2) Darker colors aren't the issue, it's the sweaty odor left behind even after a wash. :(

3. Not for work, but that is a good idea. I shall look into undershirts more. I'm still at the college scene and for some reason the classroom building I'm in always seems to have the thermostat cranked to 'Sauna'. Layering would make me sweat more.

(Also, I am jesting in #1, so no hard feelings!)

None here.. :-)

1) As for the BO thing, I think that's just a societal issue. Has there ever been a time where you weren't told that you need to cover up your scent with perfume, or deodorant or body spray? Therefore, you're not used to the scent and to you it smells wrong, it may not even smell bad... Just different.

2) Fair enough..

3) Get some of the moisture wicking material, like Under Armor, I know walmart has a cheap version but I don't recall the name. It's a spandex like material and it really helps in keeping you cool. I used to wear it outdoors in South Florida, in the summer while doing construction, and even the black shirts I had kept me cooler than nothing at all.

My first challenge

The vinegar scent disappears in the wash. You won't even be able to tell you used it. I just used el cheapo (Valu Time) white vinegar. Nothing fancy! I use vinegar in water on my wood floors too and while you can smell it for a short time, the smell goes away after a half hour or so.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Yeah vinegar, soak as prewash.  Or baking soda in the wash.  Also, for the future, watch the heat in the dryer.  Dryer heat theoretically leads to a sweat stain oxidizing and turning unfortunate colors.  Other advice:

1.  Stay away from synthetics.  They stink.  I have synthetic exercise clothes, but stay away from it for work wear.  Synthetic fleece is ok, but keep it away from your skin.

2.  Buy new shirts.  After a few years a heavily worn piece of clothing might just be so impregnated with funk that it's time to go. 

3.  Old Spice.  It's pretty gender neutral.

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

Yeah I like it because a lot of antiperspirants have aluminum and other absorbable metal compounds in them that are just not good. Old Spice smells good and is pretty harmless.

Previous challenge: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119775-daemoncorax-starts-new-journey-level-1-hunter/

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

may i recommend the salt crystal deoderants you can get? you wet the crystal, and rub it on, no more BO. Its pretty darned effective too..and economical, instead of layering on aluminium and perfumes (i have a scent free work environment). As to the laundry, if your detergent is giving you trouble, use an old fashioned bar of soap or some shavings (either fish it out before rinse if your machine is a toploader that can open that way, or use a tablespoon  of shavings in the drawer if it isn't. Add a teaspoon of borax.). If your soap doesn't run grey/white under hte water, its not soap its detergent. Ditch it for your skin at least, and i'd still say go with the soap option for the laundry. Leaves it nice and soft ;-)

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"