LENTILS!

I started eating them and they are awesome.  Also split peas.

I noticed that when you cook them down they have a thick, paste-like consistency.  This makes me think that one could be very creative with them in various recipes.  Anyone have any good lentil and/or split pea recipes?  Anyone else willing to experiment?

For those not in the know, lentils and split peas have huge amounts of protein and fiber.  Something like 18-24 grams of protein in a cup.  They're basically meatdgetables.

This is a personal favorite, from the cookbook titled "More with Less"..the idea behind it is that you can cook amazing meals with simple pantry staples and keep the cost low, it has a big German/mennonite influence.

http://caloriecount.about.com/skillet-beef-lentils-recipe-r151277

I've of course adjusted my own recipe to my palette..but this is a great place to start!  It looks horrible, the final product, but the flavor is awesome!

Oh, and a fair warning..it'll "hit you" harder than coffee, if you know what I mean.  Make sure you don't have a significant other over the day after..lentils can be unforgiving..yikes!

A good lentil curry always hits the spot. 

• Boil your lentils as usual, or have a drained can of lentils on standby. 
  • Fry a chopped white onion in a teaspoon of olive oil until soft and browning, and throw in half each of a red and yellow bell pepper (diced), and maybe some diced courgette. Continue to fry until they golden up a bit. 
  • Add in your spices, to taste - ground coriander, curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon, cracked black pepper, and maybe a couple of glugs of tabasco sauce. Add in a teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder and mix well.
  • Add the lentils and heat through, mixing well. If it gets a bit too dry, add a touch of water, or for a bit of extra flavour, a touch of mango juice. (Sometimes for this recipe I just boil my lentils in mango juice. So good. Watch what kind of mango juice you use though, some are mostly sugar-water.)
  • Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve.
  • VARIATION: Throw in a can of chickpeas, a handful of garden peas, or that can of beans in the back of your cupboard that was given to you by someone's mum and you haven't been able to think of a use for.

Enjoy your lentil related adventures!

• Like 3

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

I don't have any old cans of beans becuse I eat them all, but I like this curry recipe.

Ajaxus-  That beef recipe looks great, but what I've been eating lately is a salad comprised of pinto beans, black beans, and lentils with hot sauce.  I don't think you even truly know what farting is yet.

• Like 1

I don't have any old cans of beans becuse I eat them all, but I like this curry recipe.

Ajaxus-  That beef recipe looks great, but what I've been eating lately is a salad comprised of pinto beans, black beans, and lentils with hot sauce.  I don't think you even truly know what farting is yet.

Ask my coworkers how fun working with me was 2 weeks ago when the big meal of the week (meaning I ate it over 3-4 days time) was bison chili..

So I made this concotion of just split peas and lentils, and it tastes like watery horrible mush.  Needs a lot more seasoning and probably some bacon or other form of meat.

As a vegetarian for the last six months, I've started using them a lot. Everything from patties to brownies. Yeah, chocolate, lentil brownies... The recent recipe I've found is flourless and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to post the recipe, but there is a plethora of recipes for them on pinterest. You'd be surprised at the number of desserts.

I recommend them sprouted and thrown into a smoothie or shake, so long as the ones you have aren't deactivated.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

Yeah, I've made blondies with red lentils before. They were awesome. You can add in lentils to pretty much anything with ground meat to stretch it out a bit -- think shepherd's pie, tacos, chili, moussaka, sloppy joes, etc... I also think lentils really shine in a salad with roasted squash, something nutty like walnuts or pumpkin seeds, something creamy like goat cheese or feta, and whatever greens you feel like.

Combining BOTH your lentils and your split peas, you could make a spread/dip for raw veggies, chips, or like a sandwich condiment: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/INDIAN-LENTIL-AND-SPLIT-PEA-SPREAD-4280

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

As a vegetarian for the last six months, I've started using them a lot. Everything from patties to brownies. Yeah, chocolate, lentil brownies... The recent recipe I've found is flourless and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to post the recipe, but there is a plethora of recipes for them on pinterest. You'd be surprised at the number of desserts.

I recommend them sprouted and thrown into a smoothie or shake, so long as the ones you have aren't deactivated.

Have you ever made your own veggie burgers? I've "tried" to do it before with lentils (I think they'd be great) but couldn't pull it off.  A good veggie burger is a nice treat from time to time..but not the store-bought variety, those taste like cardboard...yikes!

You could also try searching for Indian recipes, just look for variations of 'dal'. We eat variations of lentil curry in every single meal, and they are usually not very spicy. They go well mixed with boiled rice and stir-fried vegetables on the side.

Level 1 Respawned Rebel

Current Challenge 1: Quarkle has to clean up (19th March - 15th April 2018)

"Trouble? I call it sport"

I'm still laughing at the "meatdgetables" bit! :D

But yes, lentils are awesome. I tried a really good recipe for a salad with lentils, grilled pears and pancetta, it was really tasty! I had a quick Google to see if I could post it but it's eluding me at the moment.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Does anyone have a good recipe for veggie burgers using lentils and/or peas and/or beans?  I would be so down for that.

Googling dal and lentil curry.  :D

As long as you're googling, I'd suggest searching for mujaddara, as well. It's basically just lentils, rice, and onions. One pot, simple to make, lots of room for playing around with different spice combinations and such.

YES! Mujaddara was and is my "finals week" food. I caramelize a million onions, make a giant cooker full of medium- or long-grain rice (short gets too mushy for me), and a bunch of lentils, chickpeas, whatever. Keep it in a massive mixing bowl in the fridge. You can reheat it and use it as a salad topper, a bed to serve fried eggs or grilled veggies, wrapped in a tortilla or lettuce leaf for a "sandwich" or just in a bowl. It feeds me for days, and can be changed up to not get too boring. I love cumin-y things, so I find mujaddara very comforting!

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

As long as you're googling, I'd suggest searching for mujaddara, as well. It's basically just lentils, rice, and onions. One pot, simple to make, lots of room for playing around with different spice combinations and such.

YES! Mujaddara was and is my "finals week" food. I caramelize a million onions, make a giant cooker full of medium- or long-grain rice (short gets too mushy for me), and a bunch of lentils, chickpeas, whatever. Keep it in a massive mixing bowl in the fridge. You can reheat it and use it as a salad topper, a bed to serve fried eggs or grilled veggies, wrapped in a tortilla or lettuce leaf for a "sandwich" or just in a bowl. It feeds me for days, and can be changed up to not get too boring. I love cumin-y things, so I find mujaddara very comforting!

You two would both enjoy the recipe I linked earlier as it sounds very similar to mujaddara (which is now going on my to do list..perhaps Friday?).

Split peas always enter my kitchen around the holidays because I always have a meaty ham bone after thanksgiving and another after xmas.  Make sure your ham bone has a good amount of meat still on it, otherwise you'll need to add some ham; you want this to be a meaty soup.  If you don't have a ham bone you can buy 2-3 smoke ham hocks from your local butcher and they will do the trick.

1.  Put a ham bone (or hocks), 4 carrots, 2 onions (halved), 4 bay leaves (dried) and 6 celery stalks in a large pot with 16 cups of water.  Bring it to a boil then reduce it to a simmer for 2 hours.

2.  In the mean time cook up 8-10 pieces of bacon

3.  After the ham is done boiling pull everything out of the water.  Chop up all the meat that was on the ham bone and throw it back in to the water along with the bacon.  Pour in 4 bags of split peas.  Let it simmer, stirring every 20 minutes or so, until the peas have broken down and turned into a mush. This could take upwards of 2 hours.

4.  Season it with salt and pepper and pour it into your head.  If you want you can chop up the carrots and celery and put them back in, or you can add fresh ones when you throw in the peas.  I've found the boiled carrots and celery basically melt away after that much cooking in liquid.

Side note, I like to add hot sauce to mine when I eat it, but I like to add hot sauce to almost everything so who knows if you'll like it.

STR - 2.5

DEX - 2.5

STA - 2.5

CON - 2.5

WIS - 2.5

CHA - 2.5