Stronglifts Form Check - all lifts

I'm making a second attempt at Stronglifts, and I'd like to start checking my form early on to catch any mistakes I'm making. All my starting videos will be at 45 lb, except for the deadlift, which will be at 95 lb.

I'm gonna post the barbell row later, because after looking over the Stronglifts stuff again, I realized that I've been doing the barbell rows wrong (my back was at a 40 degree angle). Next time I do those, I'll fix my form and film it again.

Squat

Bench Press (side) (front)

Overhead Press (side) (front)

Deadlift

Barbell Row, 55lb

Once I hit 95 lb on my squat (or sooner, if I get impatient), I'll post update videos on my forms.

Super impressed that you got this many videos to embed in a single post.

I'm on my phone walking the dog so others, who are more knowledgeable will give better insights but...

Bench:

-you don't seem to be pulling your shoulder blades down and back. Imagine squeezing a pen between them

-trying to pull the bar apart helps me keep my shoulders tight

-no arch at all. You don't need or want some type of crazy gymnastics/yoga arch but the arch helps keep you stable and helps protect the shoulders

+you seem to have good hand/grip position

+your arms aren't super flared, slightly more tucked elbows wouldn't hurt

+you seen to be making contact on your chest at a good position

Press:

-your hand position is far too narrow. Go a bit wider

-you want the bar to be in line with your wrists and forearms

-I use a thumb less grip to help me keep my elbows tucked

Deads:

-you want to start from the floor. Since you aren't using a full plate yet you can use blocks to rest the bar on to bring you to the correct the height

-take your time

-the bar doesn't seem to be moving in a straight line

-on the way down you want to do an RDL until it gets past your knees then break at the knees and let the weight down

+from what I remember your posture generally looked good

Again others may be a bit more helpful and hopefully post a few helpful YouTube videos that most of use.

Great start!

For your squat, I thought it looked pretty solid, but I'd like to see it from a bit farther away to make sure you feet aren't doing anything crazy.  You can tell the weight is super light for you so make sure to post up new form checks as the weight goes up.

Bench, like mattyboy said, looks like you get get a bit tighter to ensure you aren't wobbling around, but for starting out, it's solid.  Bar path look very straight.

For your deadlift, I personally would start off those blocks every time until you can do 135 without issue.  That said, I think you can do 135.  :)  It'll help with the pathing of everything since you can then start off the floor everytime.  Again, as mattyboy said, the bar path needs to be straight.  When you are descending you are moving the weight around your knees.  The descent of a deadlift should be more of an RDL until the barbell passes your knees, then bend to lower the weight the rest of the way.

Daily Log ]

For your squat, I thought it looked pretty solid, but I'd like to see it from a bit farther away to make sure you feet aren't doing anything crazy.  You can tell the weight is super light for you so make sure to post up new form checks as the weight goes up.

Yeah, I need to get a little more creative with how I film the squats; I've just been positioning my phone on nearby objects. I know my feet flare out quite a bit when I squat, but it's hard for me to angle them in when I'm down into a squat.

Press:

-your hand position is far too narrow. Go a bit wider

-you want the bar to be in line with your wrists and forearms

-I use a thumb less grip to help me keep my elbows tucked

Thanks! I had forgotten about the thumb-less grip. I'll keep that in mind when I do my presses on Friday.

The plan for Friday is to fix my form on the barbell rows (gonna go for the Pendlay Rows) and post the videos after work.

Good solid start.  Don't worry too much about the exact angle your feet have on the squat...pay attention to whether your foot, lower leg, upper leg are in alignment at the bottom of your squat.  That means you won't have side to side torque on the knees == happy knees.  The exact angle you end  up with depends on how your body is constructed.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Squat: Your back is hyperextended. You're overdoing the back extension to avoid rounding. This is causing you to have extreme movement in the relation to you lower back and pelvis as you hit the bottom of the squat, called "butt wink". Focus on not overdoing the extension and "showing off your butt" too much. Also, get your wrists straight, they're gonna hurt if the bar rolls once the weight gets heavier. On a positive note, your depth is great and you knees look to be tracking nice and out over your toes, but I can't tell from this angle. A shot from the back would help on that one.

Bench: Grip is slightly wider than needed, see how your forearm is not quite vertical at the bottom of the movement? Bring it in a little. You are also finishing too far "down"your chest instead of over your shoulder joint. You're hitting the bottom of your chest as appropriate and your arm angle/lack of flaring is very good throughout the movement, but the bar goes straight up. The bench press is the only movement where this is incorrect. It should start where it is currently hitting your chest, but finish right over your shoulde joint, travelling in almost a straight line to get there, which will be tilted off vertical.

OHP: Your grip is a bit narrow, widen it up 2-3 finger widths on each side. You're carrying the bar way high in your hands, this is going ot bend your wrists backward and hurt like hell at higher weights. For presssing movements, the bar should be low in your hands, like in the right side of the picture below. For pulling mvoments, it should be high in your hand, as the left side below.

barbell+gripping.JPG

The low in the hand for pressing is so the bar is right over your wrist joint for support and not bending your wrist backward. High in the hand for pulling is because that's where the bar will want to roll to anyway, and will help avoid getting nasty pinched callouses, or ripping the normal ones.

Good job getting your head through and keeping a hard vertical body. To avoid the overextended back issue from your squats, which I didn't see but might arises with heavier weights, make sure you squeeze your ass and legs hella hard during the press and shove your hips forward a bit throughout the entire movement.

Deadlift: you're squatting the bar here. Less legs, more back. Your hips are dropping way too low at the bottom. See how you're going around your knees? That shouldn't happen, the knees shouldn't break much on the way down until the bar is already past them. Note the back angle at that point that you pass your knees when doing it that way, that's about where the back angle should start.

I like the little stands you have to rise the bar up. Start from those on every rep until you get 45s on there. Honstely, your deads were so fast, I'd go straight to 135 and start from there, you already have the strength to do it.

Row: You're solid.

These look like a lot of comments, but they are all, except for the back issue on squats, about lifting efficiently, not safety issues, which is great.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Finished up my third week of Stronglifts, so I decided to post some update videos to see how my form is doing.

Bench Press, 65lb (front) (side)

Overhead Press, 52lb (front) (side)

Deadlift, 135lb

Squat, 80lb (I realized now that the squat video was a little crooked)

I tried getting a full shot of the squat, but it was tough to get a good camera angle with all the other equipment in the way. I've been focusing on my grip for the bench and overhead presses and switched to using a thumbless grip for both of them. I still forget about tightening the shoulder blades when I do the bench press.

Bench looked much better. Be sure to lock out each rep and pause at lock out for a split second to make sure you are completing the rep. On your side view, you adjusted the arch of your back after you had the bar out of the rack and down on your chest, you want to set that hard arch before unracking the bar. You're not going to be able to adjust with the bar in your hands once it gets really heavy, so you should start getting used to the right set up now. Grip adjustment is good and maybe even slightly narrow, but that's better for your shoulder than too wide. If you want to go a finger width further out, feel free, but if you're comfortable where youa re, that's fine too. Use the little rings on the bar and put the same finger on it each time to tell finger position. This little ring position is standard across all bars. Personally, I have varied with putting my index or middle fingers on the ring, but I'm pretty wide shouldered. You look narrower than me, so for you it might be middle finger/ring finger.

Press looked great too, your grip is right where it needs to be width wise. Your torso/leg/hip position throughout the movement are spot on. You have to little issues in the arms though. The first is the same as bench in that you don't get a solid squeeze and half second pause at the top to really establish a hard lockout, so work on that. The second is a very small amount of elbow flare creeps in as the set goes on, letting your elbows drift out a bit during the upward press. Keep an eye on that and cue the elbows to stay a bit more forward. I personally like trying to make them track along the veritcal poles of the rack that I'm in. The bar could still be lower in your hands so that it's right over your wrists. Think about twisting in forward and actively roating your hands to put the bar more over your wrists. But yeah, much improved here.

Deadlifts are pretty spot on as well. On the way back down, wait on breaking the knees a little longer so the bar doesn't have to go around or hit them, it'll save them some unneeded scraping. The bar could start a little close to your shins in the set up, but that's a personal thing a lot of the time. If the bar is against or almost against your shins on the way up, don't worry about it. The movement pattern on the way up is good.

On your squat, your bar position, arm/wrist position, movement path of the bar, depth, and position of your chest (staying up) are all spot on. The only thing I see is that your feet are collapsing in as your get toward the bottom (see them roll?). This is typically a sign of the knees rolling in too, but I can't see from the side. Make sure to focus on shoving those knees out as you reach the bottom to correct it. I rerar view of the squat would help diagnose it better next time.

Great work on form, you're really progressing well.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf