Big Show's Battle Log

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd create a Battle Log as somewhere to record progress on my big main goals in between the individual Six Week Challenges.  Plus it's two weeks until the next one kicks off, and I need somewhere to do my daily log until then.

My main quest at the moment is to get my waistline down to 38" and then take it from there.  It used to be 44", it's currently 40", and it's going to continue to go down.

I've entered a 10k this Friday, and then in six weeks there's another one on the same route and I want to beat whatever time I manage. So plenty of training to do over the next six weeks!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Very cool that they have such frequent races where you are. They are great for progress tracking I imagine :)

The race season is only now kicking off - it's been far too hot for any before now!  They pretty much have to fit them all in between now and the end of March or so I'm guessing!

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Ok, so I've started thinking about the next Six Week Challenge and I've identified a couple of areas I want to work on:

- 10k training: for this I'll need to do some decent speedwork at least once a week, and up the distance of my longest weekly run as well.  So there's one challenge already right there.

- strength training: I really want to be able to do a pull-up.  So I think a PLP challenge (using negative-rep pull-ups) on top of my regular training will be the way forward - if I can do 42 negatives and still not manage a single full proper pull-up then I'll be amazed!  The lunges and the press-ups will be a bit easier, so I'm thinking maybe start at 1 for the pull-up and 10 for the other two.  I'll see what state my regular workouts are at the end of next week and make the call then.

- no idea for a third challenge or the life challenge yet, but it's only the beginning of the "rest" fortnight so there's plenty of time for that!

Finally stopped feeling grotty after a bit of a rubbish few days since the weekend, so tonight I'm going to do a strength workout and then try to run a mile as fast as I can - my old tri club back home are having a winter running challenge, and a Mile in October is the benchmark time.  Next month is a 5k, December is a 10k, etc.  I don't have a very interesting area to run in over here, but it'll let me feel a bit more connected to them all.

• Like 1

First workout of the non-challenge variety, carrying on in a similar vein though.

- 5mins skipping

- Ninja Mobility routine

- "Push" workout:

-- deep assisted squats - 8,8,8

-- pike press-ups - 8,6,6,4

-- elbows-in press-ups - 6,5,4,5,4

-- flat straight-leg raises - 8,8,10 - progress to hanging knee raises next time

- triceps extension - 5kg - 8,8,10 - progress to a heavier weight next time

I can do harder squat variations, but I'm specifically trying to increase the flexibility of my ankle & hips to get into a proper deep squat, hence this variation.  During my Pull workouts I'll be doing the harder exercises instead.

Then it was out for a run:

- warm-up: 2.1M in 18:26 @ 8:48/mile

- 1M TT: 1.0M in 6:19

- cool-down: 0.6M in 5:13 @ 9:24/mile

Pleased with the day's work.  Quite tired now.  Pull workout tomorrow!

• Like 3

Slight change of plans for today.  But it came due to figuring out my other two goals for the next challenge, so I'm totally fine with it.

Instead of heading straight home from work I went to meet a couple of mates at a place called Maya's Chocolaterie.  Consumed an orangey hot chocolate with a chocolate fondant, chocolate sauce & vanilla ice cream, and it was absolutely bloody lovely.  No regrets whatsoever.

Throughout it we had a long, meandering conversation about helath & fitness in general - both used to do a lot of sport but haven't in a few years and are looking for a way to get back into it, and it solidified a couple of ideas I'd had.

So far I had:

1) 10k Training

2) Strength Training (see previous post for these)

I want to lose 2" from my waist by Christmas.  The first two challenges will take care of the exercise side of things, but I also need to sort my diet as well.  Hence:

3) Eat Clean - for me to lose weight, this means sticking to healthy eating principles (I'm loathe to call it a "diet) for six days out of the seven, with a reasonable treat once a week.  Be it another Chocapocalypse like tonight, or a few drinks (not too many!) on a night out.  Meals consist mostly of protein & veg, with any starchy/refined carbs eaten in the evening after training.  Also, sticking to 2000-2500 calories per day.  If I do this while training I lose fat.  Deceptively simple.

Life quest - Control The Chimp!  I am very good at getting in my own way; always have been.  Earlier on in the year I was recommended The Chimp Paradox by Dr Steve Peters, and even limited, half-arsed applications of the ideas it contained made a big difference to how I approached things.  I picked up my copy a couple of days ago upon realising that my chimp has been in the ascendant for about a month or so, and I'm already noticing life becoming easier.  So I'm going to spend the next two months (starting now, not just when the challenge does) applying it to my life and reaping the benefits.  Starting with the 10k on Friday!

I just booked my taxi to get me to the start line.  The race starts at 7:00am, race numbers need to be collected by 6:30, so I just booked my taxi for 5:30am on my day off.  I think I'm going to have a little cry...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - when I got back I did go out for a run.  Despite feeling slightly ill from all the chocolate.  5k in 24:00, which would have worked out as a 48:00 10k if I kept the pace up.  Based on this, I think I'm going to go out aiming for a 45:00 10k on Friday - that seems reasonable, rested and with race-day adrenaline (and a properly motivated chimp on board).  If I blow up on the second lap then so be it; I'll know what state I'm in so it doesn't happen again during the race in six weeks' time.  It's all about the benchmarking!

• Like 2

You should never have regrets about chocolate. Never.

I think I might take a look at that book. Because, Self-Sabotage thy name is Brekke. (Srsly, I'm the WORST)

Yay for your race - you're going to CRUSH IT! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

That was warm. But good. Full report later.

Before: fadc22338c6a78942c1dd5677b94d434.jpg

After: f2d7df7bcbe54036e414fe8d59a53371.jpg

Medal & t-shirt! bdfa49f0bc494990caf0671f3e18ae60.jpg

Sent from the middle east.

• Like 2

YEAH!!! Congrats!!

I like how the before picture is all yeah, this is gonna rock! And the after picture is just can I sleep now pleeeease...

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Thanks guys!  Time for a bit of an in-depth race report now.  As I'm less knackered... ;)

The race started at 7:00am, so I had the taxi booked for 5:30 and was there bright and early to collect my race number, warm up, etc.  This was the first time I've actually run during daylight since getting out here, so it was a bit of a shock to realise how hot it already was - about 28 oC and 65% humidity!  I was sweating just standing on the start line!

The plan was to go off at a sensible pace, then try and run strong in the second half.  It didn't exactly go down that way...

I did the first km in about 4:00.  I was aiming for 45mins overall, so that was WAAAYYY too quick, but I didn't notice until the first km marker as I got carried away, plus my legs felt all light & fresh from resting up for the race.  OOOOOPS.

I settled myself down and stayed on a good pace for the rest of the lap.  I grabbed a bottle of water at each of the aid stations, but only drank a little of it - the majority went over my head as I realised that keeping my body temperature lower was much more important for me than dehydration.  Plus I find it hard to drink much during races anyway.

Went through the first lap in 21:30 (still 1min too fast) feeling ok, but then the wheels started to come off a bit on the second lap.  I put my head down and kept grinding it out, but when I got along the most exposed part of the second lap I got to the water station only to find they'd run out of water!  That was too much for me there and I had to stop and walk for a minute; my core temperature was alarmingly high and if I'd kept going it would not have ended well.

As soon as I hit the shade I started running again, and luckily the next station had some water left, but that was within sight of the finishing straight so by that point I didn't really care.  Crossed the line with a semi-sprint finish in 46:38.

I'm taking a lot of positives from it; first race out here, sure I went off too quick, but the first lap was actually only 15s away from my fastest 5k of the year, and that was in comical heat while consciously reigning myself in.  Which makes me think that I'm definitely in much better shape than I was three months ago back in the UK - if only there was a decently comparable way to find out!  Ah well...

I'm also certain that if I hadn't had to walk on the second lap I would have either got under 45:00 or come damn close to it.  So in six weeks' time, when it's cooler and I've shifted a bit more timber, I'm certain I can go for a 44:00 in the next race.  Definitely on the cards in so many ways.

The actual race results themselves looked like pretty interesting reading; 39th out of 479 for the 10k, and my first lap would have put me in 18th out of 370 for the 5k.  I know it's a much smaller pond than back home, but only seven people ran sub-40, which makes me think that the heat really is a much bigger factor on performance for other people out here, not just for me.

Anyway, after sticking my head under a cold tap for a while (which felt BEAUTIFUL!) I headed to Starbucks for a maHOOsive coffee and a giant slice of chocolate cake, bought myself a filter coffee machine, then went out for a steak lunch.  Good times.

Later on I ended up doing a weights workout (I was lazing around watching TV, a bit bored, and the Powerstation was just staring at me, making me feel guilty...):

Pull workout:

- 5mins skipping

- Ninja Mobility routine

- 3x8:

--negative-rep chin-ups - 8,8,5,3 - so close!

-- deep assisted squats - 8,8,8

-- inverted bodyweight rows - 8,8,6,4 (I can't do simple maths)

-- decline plank - 60s - progress to leg-lift plank next time (30s/leg)

-- biceps curls - 5kg - 8,8,10 - progress to 6kg next time

- cool-down stretches

The rest of the evening was spent watching the first 5 episodes of Firefly.  I've never watched this series and have been saving it for the right moment; just after finishing re-watching all of Buffy (which included seeing the last two seasons for the first time) seemed to be the opportune moment.

Today's plans include:

- Push workout

- recovery run of whatever distance I feel like when I get out there

- batch cook & bake healthy food for the week - new plan starts today!

- attempt to make proper scrambled eggs for the first time

..and unfortunately there will also be the debut of my new foam roller.  My calves are made of concrete and my hips hate me.  And at the moment I hate them too.

Oops, epic post!  I just tried to spell-check it and even I was TL;DR...

• Like 1

Wowzers! It sounds like yesterday was an EPIC day for you! Congrats on your run! I can't even imagine running in that kind of heat/humidity (although, where I grew up in the US, we had similar conditions in the summer - only the very brave/committed/crazy played sports outside).  Yay for a strong finish - and for doing a weight routine on top of that. BAM!

YAY FOR FIREFLY!!! What do you think so far?

tumblr_inline_mq2bjqwPX11ruj37s.gif

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

Wowzers! It sounds like yesterday was an EPIC day for you! Congrats on your run! I can't even imagine running in that kind of heat/humidity (although, where I grew up in the US, we had similar conditions in the summer - only the very brave/committed/crazy played sports outside).  Yay for a strong finish - and for doing a weight routine on top of that. BAM!

YAY FOR FIREFLY!!! What do you think so far?

tumblr_inline_mq2bjqwPX11ruj37s.gif

It's brilliant - I watched that episode today and was absolutely p*ssing myself at that line!  Perfect gif!

Today I had quite a nice lazy day - 5 episode of Firefly this morning, then off into the city with a couple of friends.  Had a wander round the Souq (big market), and lunch in a Turkish restaurant.  Mixed grill was lovely - meals consisting pretty much solely of meat & veg are perfect for me right now!

When I got back I did my workout - today's a Push day, and it went rather well; I think moving the leg exercise in between the press-up/dips variations works well for me:

- 5mins skipping

- Ninja Mobility routine

- 3x8:

-- pike press-up - 8,8,10 - progress to diamond pike press-ups next time

-- lunges - 8,8,10 - progress to Bulgarian split squats next time

-- straight-leg bench dips (one leg elevated) - 8,8,10 - progress to elevated legs bench dips next time

-- forearm knee raises - 8,8,10 - progress to hanging knee raises next time

-- triceps extensions - 6kg - 8,6,8,4

- recovery run: 3.1M in 27:36 @ 8:48/mile

- cool-down stretches

My left calf really knackered all day, and during the first mile of the run, so I attacked it with a foam roller this evening.  It was quite tight while warming up for yesterday's run, so I'm guessing it's related to that.  Nothing major; careful treatment, and rest if necessary, should see it right as rain in a couple of days.

Next weekend will either be an Aussie Rules football game (if I get picked) or an Aquathlon (if I don't), so I'm planning my week's training around them.  No weights after Wednesday, and any hard runs will be done at the front end of the week as well (calf permitting).  Should be another good week, and then we get to start the next challenge too!

• Like 2

Got a bit behind with this, let's see:

- Sunnday: Everything still really ached so I decided to take the day off completely.  Instead of training I headed to the rugby club with a couple of mates; watched the Manchester derby on TV, had a few ciders, ate fish & chips.  Great evening.  And as it was a school night I was still tucked up in bed by half eight like a good boy.

- Monday: Had a bit of a crappy day - the Chimp was definitely in charge for most of the day, but I could recognise this even at the time so I took some steps to minimise the damage.  Tried a run after work but my calf was still giving me trouble so I cut it short after only a couple of slow miles.  Still did plenty to improve my mood, although I did end up pigging out a bit later on in the evening.  But it was on baked chicken breasts, so I doubt there was too much damage!

- Tuesday: that's today, obviously.  I'm in a much better mood - amazing what a good night's sleep can do about that.  I've decided to give the calf a bit more rest, so tonight I'll go do my shopping after work and do a weight session ONLY - no heading out for a short run afterwards like I normally do.  And I'll re-commit to my eating strategies as well; avoiding the snack attacks for me is all about removing the opportunity rather than relying on myself to resist things...

Only got two episodes of Firefly left to watch.  I'm already feeling mildly bereft...

There's a movie too - Serenity - which fills in gaps the show leaves. :D

tumblr_n89khacmWT1t85q7oo1_400.gif

Spooky - I watched that episode last night and laughed very loudly at that point!

• Like 1

While walking around today I can tell my calf's not quite right. So no Aussie Rules on Friday (I'll go along to watch and have a pint instead), and I'll play it by ear for the Aquathlon on Saturday. I can always go all out on the swim and just jog the run.

So I'm going to treat this week as a recovery week and attack my to-do list instead of worrying about fitting in training. For various reasons my travel to & from work is going to take longer for the next few weeks, meaning I have less time in the evenings, so any stuff I can get done this week and at the weekend will make my life a LOT easier next week. And I'm working on the assumption that I'll be at the very least back into light jogging by next week, as thus is more of a really annoying niggle than a full-blown leg-apocalypse.

So plan for tonight: eye test, weekly shopping, meal plans, bake scotch eggs, clean kitchen, early night. If I get them all done in good time I might even sneak an episode of Firefly in there too. Good incentive1

Sent from the middle east.

• Like 1

Went out for another short run this evening; I was aware of my calf, but it doesn't stop me running at all. I kept the pace down buttered a couple of slightly faster bursts ok, so I think it's on the mend. Two more days off and I should be able to at least jog round the Aquathlon on Saturday.

I find myself really looking forward to the start of the next challenge. I'm finding it a bit harder to get motivated during this in between phase. Not long now though!

P.S. I ran out of Firefly so I watched Serenity. And now I feel sad.

I need a new series to start on. I'm thinking Arrow perhaps?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• Like 2

New TV series?  BUFFY MAYBE?  (Sorry I'm a big Buffy fan and am halfway through a rewatch! Haha!)

I'm really looking forward to the next challenge too - a break is nice but I like to have some clear set goals or else I get slacky...

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I am really enjoying Grimm, if that kind of thing is your jam. Also, if you need more Nathan Fillion in our life, Castle is great. :) Maybe binge on Battle Star Galactica?

Glad your healing up! I too am ready for the next challenge. And by "ready" I mean "needing the challenge to kick my butt into gear."

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

Battle Log

I am really enjoying Grimm, if that kind of thing is your jam. Also, if you need more Nathan Fillion in our life, Castle is great. :) Maybe binge on Battle Star Galactica?

Glad your healing up! I too am ready for the next challenge. And by "ready" I mean "needing the challenge to kick my butt into gear."

They're all on my watchlist - I hadn't realised that was Nathan Fillion in Castle though, I'm looking forward to that one more now.  I've also got Once Upon A Time and its spinoff series in there too.  Might have to just roll a dice to pick at random at this rate though, there are too many good TV shows to choose from!  #firstworldproblems

Definitely resting today.  I can feel a little niggle in my calf which makes me think that pushing on for the full 10k (as I was tempted to last night) would definitely have been the wrong answer.  Guess we'll see what happens on Sunday!