• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

NaNo Nerds - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

le sigh.

I'm stillskies over on the boards. 

Plot thingamajig: Heir to a magical mob family, main character and her wacky bodyguard try to keep her alive until someone kills her dad and she's suddenly in charge.

Hallo urban fantasy. :D

• Like 1

Oh, I suppose I should share the plot of my novel a little bit. Because 'space pirates' isn't plot.

Summary: A fighter pilot recently graduated at the top of his class gets wind of a rumor that a long-lost childhood friend has become one of the most notorious pirates in the asteroid belt and goes rogue to find her.

Basically, I completely repurposed my last NaNo novel. This new novel is a LOT less like PotC in space. :lol:

• Like 2

Oh, I suppose I should share the plot of my novel a little bit. Because 'space pirates' isn't plot.

Why not?  Joss Whedon built a huge (albeit, not huge enough) fandom around two "space cowboy"

• Like 1

Oh hey, this is up! I'm the same username on the site. Haven't decided if I'm going to do much with the NaNo community yet.

Looking forward to my first try at NaNo! I'm almost done with my prep work. I've got a 1-page plot summary and I've done some work on my protagonist, but I still need to flesh out the main cast and villains (I suck at villains). I'm going to pants worldbuilding since this project is based on a half-baked idea I built up a long time ago.

My story basically combines everything I like about science fiction and fantasy (and fiction in general) into some kind of terrible spacefaring Frankenstein monster. The universe is heavily characterized by living technology/biotech. So lots of mutants, monsters, cyborgs, supersoldiers, human-machine interfacing (e.g. powered armor) and stuff like that. I'm really excited about it.

I've prepared to adapt to the NaNo experience by slowly waking up earlier and earlier every morning. Now I'm consistently waking up at 5:30am (almost 3 hours before I have to go to work) which should open up some time not only for exercising but for writing as well. I'm going to start making a "morning ritual" that turns both activities together into a habit.

• Like 1

Add me to the list! My Nano username is Nianne as well. My sig has a link to my profile, and here's one directly to this year's novel.

Here's the plot in short:

Industrial mining along the banks of the River Styx is causing a global memory dysfunction that threatens to bring civilization to the ground. Eco-terrorists, inconclusive science, and a globe-trotting thief might help or might hurt the cause. Can the damage be halted before it's too late?

• Like 3

I think that in all the books/comics/movies/tv shows I've ever seen about Neverland Hook's first name is James.  You don't have to follow that of course, :tongue:

Hilariously, I have never seen this BUT I WAS JUST THINKING that it should be James for Plot Reasons, so you have sold me!

• Like 1

I'm trewesterre on NaNoWriMo. I'm excited about my first attempt at a novel.

I'm basically writing a bit of a sci-fi/speculative fiction story about scientists who are working on controlling the weather in the not-so-distant future (I arbitrarily chose the year 2223). The idea is that anthropogenic climate change has made many places on Earth uninhabitable and much of the former farmland has become unusable.

In addition, the increasingly large storms have a habit of occasionally ravaging crops and causing famine. Thus, the governments of the world began a cooperative project to minimize extreme weather events. However, the idea of controlling the weather is not so popular with many people, especially those who distrust governments and religious fanatics who do not believe that scientists should be playing god. etc.

The story will be about one scientist working at the Canadian branch of this project who is being shadowed and interviewed by a reporter writing a series on the project.

...and that's about as far as I've gotten.

• Like 1

So much post-apoc fiction. We're a depressing lot.

I LOVE IT.

FOR REAL.  I loves it!

I've bungled up a brief (sloppy) synopsis.

Advent

(working title)

Hyo and Minh seem perfectly ordinary, except for the fact that they can't be killed.  They've been following a trail of bread crumbs throughout deep space for years trying to hunt down the truth of their origins with no luck, except for today.  Slowly but surely they track down an eccentric man that claims to have answers, but keeps evading them at every turn.  Some truths are better left buried though, and as the boys find the terrifying answers they seek they will question everything they thought they knew about themselves, and each other.

SO HYPE!!! :D

• Like 1

Adelrune and I are in.  I think our Nano name is P A Tisai, but I'll let her confirm or deny that.

Myth confirmed. We are working under the name http://nanowrimo.org/participants/p-a-tisai and while I have a good chunk of the outline worked out it's not complete. Maybe if I can sneak in a phonecall with Pacha today while he is at work I can get a brief synopsis posted today.

As always when reading everyone else's amazing ideas, I start to wonder whether I'm just going to write a load of uninteresting tripe in comparison.  GO AWAY, SELF-ESTEEM DEMONS!

I went to my local region's launch party last weekend, which was interesting.  Really a mixed group of people (I thought it would be mostly college students, but nope).  Getting all hyped up now to get started!!!

I'm basically going to hermit and write like a demon for the first weekend, and I have set myself a very ambitious goal of 20k by Sunday.  I want to be pretty far along into this book before Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out, basically.  :tongue:   This is the only way I will secure victory, I am fairly sure.

Okay, back to my outline today.  Come on, self, stop dallying!

• Like 1

My local region is... me. :(  So ronery...

That is sad indeed!  Well, if you ever end up out in Colorado, I'll host a write-in for you, I know there are a few of us CO nerds in this group!

I'm basically going to hermit and write like a demon for the first weekend, and I have set myself a very ambitious goal of 20k by Sunday.  I want to be pretty far along into this book before Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out, basically.  :tongue:   This is the only way I will secure victory, I am fairly sure.

Okay, back to my outline today.  Come on, self, stop dallying!

Oh man, I hope I can get really far into my novel before Inquisition because lmao, that game will eat me alive in all the best ways. (Though it looks like my project schedule at work is going to make it difficult to take that full week off, ack!!) Depending on my progress, I may put in place a conditional agreement for turning on my console: 1) have I worked out yet and 2) have I written at least x number of words? WE WILL SEE HOW WELL THAT WORKS OUT FOR ME.

And outline ahahaha thank goodness rehearsal's canceled tonight so I can crank this out once and for all! Because tonight is my last night to actually outline and plan this thing (rehearsal Wednesday, date night Thursday, performance Friday, and then NaNo START! D: )

• Like 1

As always when reading everyone else's amazing ideas, I start to wonder whether I'm just going to write a load of uninteresting tripe in comparison.  GO AWAY, SELF-ESTEEM DEMONS!

ALSO I WOULD READ YOUR STORY. Seriously. Not just saying that. Besides, if it's interesting to you, that's all that matters in the end. :love_heart:

• Like 2

ALSO I WOULD READ YOUR STORY. Seriously. Not just saying that. Besides, if it's interesting to you, that's all that matters in the end. :love_heart:

I've been outlining since I posted that, feeling better as I flesh stuff out!  Thank goodness no one will ever read my outline, as there are still holes in it filled in with "and then STUFF HAPPENS" and "they say this, blah" and "SOMETHING EXCITING GOES HERE."

• Like 2

I've been outlining since I posted that, feeling better as I flesh stuff out!  Thank goodness no one will ever read my outline, as there are still holes in it filled in with "and then STUFF HAPPENS" and "they say this, blah" and "SOMETHING EXCITING GOES HERE."

Ahahahaha I HAVE BEEN THERE. Once I flesh out the outline I feel like I'll have way more of that than I currently have because right now my outline is just made up of all the major plot points from beginning to end but the things that happen in between idkkkkkkkkkkk. Right now my margin notes consist of things like "UST!!!" and "DRAMA GOES HERE" ;;;

• Like 1

Ha.  Hahaha.  Outlines.

My favorite bit from my outline so far is this:

"Something something space-time continuum.  (Research this.)"

YUP.

dPQel.gif

• Like 2

I have made a decision to write the more introspective story. It dovetails well with my goals for the end of the year. Probably.

Title: Mirrored

Summary: Analiese Ryan feels reality is a little too real to be borne. She spends most of her time escaping into daydreams and novels until an otherworldly visitor shows her all too clearly what she is really hiding from.

• Like 2

Count me in! NaNo profile is here, this will be my first year participating.

Survival (working title) - A post-apocalyptic tale of blood, sex and violence. When the world as we know it is gone, there is still love. There is still hope... Or is there?

When a virus turning humans into violent, mindless cannibals spills onto the streets, Kate ust leave the life she once knew in order to survive. Amidst the chaos of the mutants, looters and terror, love blossoms, giving Kate a reason to keep fighting for her future in this dangerous and uncertain world.

Kate Becker was an ordinary girl with an interest in survivalism. She thought she had it all worked out, she thought she was ready. But no amount of research and prepping could ready her for this.

So yeah, I suck at synopsis thingies

• Like 1

Ugh so surprise outing with friends made it so I could only get about halfway through my outline but halfway is better than nothing? And during this fleshing out process I wound up creating another character. WELP. And now I know where my "SOMETHING EXCITING HAPPENS HERE??????" moments are. Hopefully I can sneak in some more outlining during my many meetings today but we'll see. ;;;;;;

I AM SO ILL-PREPARED FOR THIS NANO OMG

• Like 2

Count me in! NaNo profile is here, this will be my first year participating.

Survival (working title) - A post-apocalyptic tale of blood, sex and violence. When the world as we know it is gone, there is still love. There is still hope... Or is there?

When a virus turning humans into violent, mindless cannibals spills onto the streets, Kate ust leave the life she once knew in order to survive. Amidst the chaos of the mutants, looters and terror, love blossoms, giving Kate a reason to keep fighting for her future in this dangerous and uncertain world.

Kate Becker was an ordinary girl with an interest in survivalism. She thought she had it all worked out, she thought she was ready. But no amount of research and prepping could ready her for this.

So yeah, I suck at synopsis thingies

Oh look, another Amazon Assassin!  You are on the list, looking forward to your first challenge?

We have a lot of post-apoc fiction going here, you're in good company!

Ugh so surprise outing with friends made it so I could only get about halfway through my outline but halfway is better than nothing? And during this fleshing out process I wound up creating another character. WELP. And now I know where my "SOMETHING EXCITING HAPPENS HERE??????" moments are. Hopefully I can sneak in some more outlining during my many meetings today but we'll see. ;;;;;;

I AM SO ILL-PREPARED FOR THIS NANO OMG

WE ARE ABOUT THE SAME LEVEL OF PREPARED, IT IS FINE.

I am going to push some more on my outline today, I made good progress yesterday, but I'm less than halfway through the book for the "long outline" step........