• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

NaNo Nerds - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

I guess mine counts as post-post-apoc, since the apocalypse was so far in the past it's practically myth.  Though since there's been a lot more "time travel" adding to my story in the last week (I FIGURED OUT THE THIRD ACT), parts may end up becoming post-apoc, or even apoc-apoc! :D

... sorry, characters.

• Like 1

Love everyone's plot lines.  Pretty much everyone has a plot that I'd pick up if I were in a store looking at books. :)

Still doing the ground work on mine.  Luckily I only have one thing planned for Saturday night so I'll be able to spend most of the weekend writing. I'm going to attempt an outline as that's part of the snowflake process, but I suspect it'll be like you all have said with things like, 'something exciting here' :P At least I know where my story starts and how it ends. :)

I finally got Pacha at the computer long enough to solidify a few things. I give to you our synopsis!

Cash Sterling and his partner Ophelia Dade are waist deep in trouble. A hundred years ago magic was discovered as a byproduct of a scientific experiment. Ever since then the world has woven magic into the existence of everyday life. Dangers and warnings have gone unheeded throughout the years, forcing governments around the world to create agencies to deal with the consequences of misuse.

On the eve of celebration someone or something has found a way to link our world with another, one believed to be the source of magic, creating rifts and tears allowing for leaks. Cash and Ophelia are called in to a local incident as a means to clean up the mess, discovering in the process that this was intentional and the first of many others.

• Like 2

My weekend is going to be so busy!

I've decided not to miss the midnight launch party on Friday night. Last year I moved from a really rural area to a really urban one, and the get-togethers here are just too much fun to miss.

I've also decided not to miss my 7 mile trail race that starts at 9am on Saturday morning.

When will I sleep? After the race, in the parking lot, before my drive home.

What will I eat? Pancakes. All of the pancakes.

• Like 1

I am going to push some more on my outline today, I made good progress yesterday, but I'm less than halfway through the book for the "long outline" step........

As it turns out, rehearsal is canceled tonight also, so yessssss opportunity to finish this up! I fleshed out most of the last third of the novel throughout the day during meetings and waiting for people but now I'm at the point of INSERT SOME EXCITING THINGS HERE before the final confrontation otherwise there's just a nonsensical jump in time but I hit up all my plot points until the final confrontation and ahhhhhhhh how do I can only write so many scenes of people talking and thinking before I even get bored, argh.

OH WELL TONIGHT IS A FREE NIGHT WITH NO SOCIAL THINGS TO DO SO I WILL DEDICATE MYSELF TO THIS. And preparing for my audition on Sunday. BUT MOSTLY THIS.

As it turns out, rehearsal is canceled tonight also, so yessssss opportunity to finish this up! I fleshed out most of the last third of the novel throughout the day during meetings and waiting for people but now I'm at the point of INSERT SOME EXCITING THINGS HERE before the final confrontation otherwise there's just a nonsensical jump in time but I hit up all my plot points until the final confrontation and ahhhhhhhh how do I can only write so many scenes of people talking and thinking before I even get bored, argh.

OH WELL TONIGHT IS A FREE NIGHT WITH NO SOCIAL THINGS TO DO SO I WILL DEDICATE MYSELF TO THIS. And preparing for my audition on Sunday. BUT MOSTLY THIS.

The ship's life support system gets tampered with when they're on some planet by SOMEONE EVIL.  They have to deal with this, Out of Gas style?

Someone gets kidnapped!

Someone gets arrested!

Zombies??????????????????

• Like 1

The ship's life support system gets tampered with when they're on some planet by SOMEONE EVIL.  They have to deal with this, Out of Gas style?

Someone gets kidnapped!

Someone gets arrested!

Zombies??????????????????

Yessssss good point and I have just the thing. Problem is that this novel is getting kind of long already. :lol: For NaNo, though, better too long than too short? I WILL NEED A LOT, LOT MORE THAN 50K TO FINISH THIS SUCKER sobbb.

I know that we have to type our novel to get the word count, but I still bought a notebook to write in anyways. :P If nothing else I'll use it for plot ideas and character development instead of the actual story. 

• Like 1

My outline is "finished" -- as in, I have plotted out how many chapters I'll have, and each chapter has a summary that ranges from super general (the most vague being "human military drama things" as the entire summary) to super specific. I currently have 37 chapters plus the prologue, but the prologue barely counts as it's basically just an obituary. :lol: 

Hello NaNo Nerds!

I will participate for the first time, my profile

My goal isn't write a book, but loose the fear of writing, and create the habit of writing every day.

I'm a PhD student, and soon enough I have to write my thesis, and my usual to freeze in front of the blank page of the word does not help.

I don´t want to create the characters and all that, so I will write a modern tale of Pride and Prejudice from Jane Austen.

I will loosely fallow the original plot, but I will add some flavor and colors with my experience and imagination.

Maybe I fall in love with novel writing and next year I would write a post-apoc novel (since this seems like the NF theme! :)

• Like 3

Happy-ish with the first half of my outline.  Going to try to outline one chapter per day once nano starts (probably won't, but hey, goals), and gonna try and get up to 10 by tomorrow night. 

Does any of this seem interesting? I know it won't really without actual dialogue and stuff, but just from an outline perspective.

Prologue

This is a short segment of the thief, skulking through the cults camp. Do they have a name? Do they need a name? They are religious, but not very big into conversion. They know most people can't or won't believe them. Not a big shock there. But their caravan is very clean, and obviously well maintained. That means wealth. The thief is sick of being a small fish in a small pond, eating what he can manage. Mention the carnival passing through his town, a, troupe of actors and acrobats and freaks. Mention the creatures in the woods not giving him trouble, even without light. He had his wards, his charms, and of course, he could always be counted on to leave a gift in exchange for free passage. He always knew who to appease.

The camp is well lit, a clear sign of wealth. They are in some sort of service, allowing him to go from wagon to wagon, looking and picking his moment. They don't have any obvious wealth, can't find any actual currency, nkt jewellery. There's books, but those are way too specialized to hawk, too many questions raised. Who needs to read so much? Same with the maps. Always maps. And strange maps. Looks like a building. An endless building...

Then he finds a tent with New Steel, And thinks he's hit the jackpot. Too much to carry. Tons of it. Dreams of the wealth involved. He can come back... with more muscle. These cultists are pacifists, they won't put up a fight. Investigating the new steel, it all seems like one interconnected device, and parts of it are producing heat, other parts cold, some are vibrating. No amount of New Steel he's seen in his entire life has ever worked half as well as this one single machine. What could it possibly be doing?

And he comes to a, corner, and is startled and lays out the woman who was tending to a strange mound of glass and New Steel. He apologises to her unconscious form, and turns to flee... When he sees a baby in the machine. A real baby. A human baby. Just staring at him. Eyes intent. Too intent. The baby almost seems reproachful of the man who just knocked out a woman,, possibly a nurse. The thief says he's sorry... and then figures out why the blanket looks so strange. The boy doesn't have regular arms and legs of pink, squishy flesh. The metal has a bronzed, glossy sheen, but it's clear it's new steel. His body, too, most of it. Skin seems stitched with metal threads to a chassis of steel. How? What possible purpose...

... and then, for reasons he's not entirely sure of, he opens the glass container, and is reaching towards the baby, and the strange, incredibly intricate hand reaches up to his...

And a shout of panic behind him. An explosion of pain, inexpert blows raining down on the thief. He thrashes free, spinning and charging for the back of the huge wagon, hearing more cries of panic behind him. A high keening noise, settling into his teeth and pressure behind his eyes. Colors creeping in around the edges of his vision. Stumbling out into the night. Turning back to see light streaming out of the wagon, through the cracks, light so bright it seemed solid, seems liquid, seemed, to, flow and pool and twist, forcing the rivets apart. Light that carried weight, light that he could almost hear...

The explosion that followed seemed to be the colossal over reaction of a sane,, ordered world struggling to reassert control against something never meant for puny human senses to experience.

Chapter 1

This is the general introduction to Radiance, the travelling circus. They’ve set up high atop a hill just outside a reasonably large town (still need to think of a name for the town), with two strings of lights connecting the edge of the town to the circus itself, because of course you can’t go outside at night without a light source. (Mostly just hinting at why for now). Not everyone is rich enough to own a portable light source, so the Light Road is very necessary.

The circus is fenced in, lights strung along the inside and outside of the fence.  Hundreds of lights, indicating they must have a very powerful Tool to keep them all lit. This reassures people... a circus that wealthy probably has no reason to rob them.  People wander from wagon to wagon and tent to tent.  There are fortune-tellers, past-tellers and story-tellers. There are easy games for the children, and even easier games for the grownups, many of whom are drunk shortly after entering, thanks to the pretty girls wandering around selling candies and liquor. There are main events at the sounding of the gong, roughly every hour, and the first event is Cecania, the world’s strongest woman.

Who, despite the artwork, is revealed to be a pale, slender, black-eyed young woman, wearing an obviously cheap outfit intended to make her look fearsome. She seems terrified, walking out in front of the crowd, and lifting things which aren’t especially heavy: a small table, set with plates and glassware, some of which fall and shatter; an extremely fluffy sheep, which isn’t all that heavy since it’s mostly fluff; and the big finale, which three large men bring in, a huge log freshly cut from the nearby forest.  Cecania struggled... and can’t lift it.  The crowd boos, starts mocking her, starts throwing things and laughing, and some people start to trickle out. Cecania tries to get their attention, the Taskmaster tries to urge them to stay, before he turns and starts berating her... and then Cecania bellows that the reason she can’t lift the log is because it’s too big.  She then easily picks up the entire log, snaps it over her knee, and then hoists the remaining half over her head with one hand. “See? Easy now!†The crowd realizes the ‘weak girl’ was the act, and is suitably impressed, returning and applauding as Cecania now begins REAL feats of strength, concluding with the opportunity to arm-wrestle her for only five pennies. This forms a line, as she is still a very pretty girl...

Robot Boy watches from the back curtains, always impressed, before wandering over to watch the Storyteller. Most of the main events are the same every night, or at least mostly the same, but the Storyteller, in all the years Robot Boy has been listening, has never repeated himself.  Hundreds of nights, thousands of stories, and never the same.  THAT was a wonder.

Chapter ends with an excerpt from one of the (many) adventures of Harm Henry, a popular semi-heroic character who goes on grand adventures to rescue maidens, discover ancient treasures, defeat mysterious evil and eventually find his way home... but he nearly dies every single story, incurring immense, often ghastly injuries.  People seem to like the hero being worse off than they are...

Chapter 2

The sky is starting to brighten, and the last people are staggering home from the circus, hardly a penny left between them now. The entertainers are exhausted, but from experience know they need to be a reasonable distance away before the town sobers up. Not that they did anything wrong, exactly... but not everyone might see it that way. The big tents are collapsed in mere minutes, the cargo carts loaded up and strapped down and lashed to the horses, and all the lights are disengaged from the Tool.  The Tool is moved to the back of the Taskmaster’s heavy, solid metal carriage, engaged to the drive, and then all of the biggest wagons are chained up together in a long train. The drivers walk up front, iron rods at the ready, in case they need to steer.

Robot Boy is sitting on top of one of the cargo wagons, playing cards with some of the drudges.  The performers are all sleeping now, and the drudges who slept during the performances are now awake, armed and alert, just in case there’s anything worse than them out and about. The caravan is moving out of the low, forested areas and into higher, hillier, drier territory. Better farming land, easier to plow, and hard workers need entertainment. After that, there’s rumors the Taskmaster is going to drive them into the mountains again, a prospect no-one is looking forward to. There’s precious few inhabitants who would pay for their acts, and too many unknown entities who don’t take kindly to intruders. Still, those are just rumors. He probably wouldn’t dare try that again.  Not after what happened last time.

The ruddy-red sky begins to darken many hours later, the entertainers beginning to wake. They prepare to set up camp for the night, nowhere near any other towns.  The drudges deal with the horses and retire to the cargo wagons to sleep, while the entertainers set about practicing, socializing, trying to find what entertainment THEY could amongst themselves. The Robot Boy emerges from his own living area, a large crate he managed to purchase in one of the cargo wagons, outfit with a few blankets and a pillow he’d received for a birthday present. He hadn’t been sleeping, but it just made sense for everyone to think he had been.

Tonight, he decides, he’s going to talk to the Taskmaster again, about perhaps getting his own act in the circus.

The conversation goes as it always does: you can’t do anything people would want to see, and it’s very unpredictable how people might react to what you are. But what else can I do? he asked.  All I do is collect tickets, take fares, maybe help out the cook, or act as the pretend audience for rehearsals.  What can I do? And the Taskmaster replies, as he always does, “Exactly.  What can you do?† It seems to the Boy that there’s layers to that question that he doesn’t entirely understand.  Taskmaster retires to his carriage, slamming the leaden door shut behind him, and the Boy just wanders off to help out wherever he can. 

I'm in. Never participated in NaNoWriMo, but I've thought about it. I've written tons of short stories, and one novella. It's time for a novel.

For the moment, all I can tell you, is that it's going to be a satirical fantasy novel. This idea started out as a contemporary science fiction romance. But instead, I think it's a dark medieval fantasy satire.

I've long wanted to create a world where literally anything can happen. Think Discworld by Terry Pratchett, although this is only informed by Discworld to the degree that "anything can happen."

I can't tell you more, because I'm still figuring it out. And what I thought I knew last week isn't what I know now.

The hard part is that I have some short story commitments to keep during Nov too. So we'll see what happens.

My nanowrimo username is thewritescott

I don't know how much time I will get, but I'm in.

My outline will probably happen during tomorrow night and then be discarded by Saturday night with exciting new plot developments.

And my touch typing skills is still not good enough.

Facebook page? Where?

I'm not participating as my creativity is lost down in the bottom of a chasm at the moment, but I'll be lurking along and pop up to play cheerleader once in awhile. :)

• Like 1

I just saw that they changed the rules so that continuing a previous novel or project is no longer rebelling! MADNESS!

Now I am tempted to resurrect my 2011 attempt...

• Like 4

I've always heard little bits about nano, but never really looked into it. Is the point supposed to be writing a whole book within a month? What happens if you don't finish it? What if you only get halfway done? Is there a certain word count target that you try to hit?

I have 2 story ideas I've kicked around. I tried writing 2 chapters in one of them. Re-read it. Hated it. Deleted it forever.  But I still have a skeleton outline of what I want to have happen in my head. It's been stuck there for years.

• Like 1

I know that we have to type our novel to get the word count, but I still bought a notebook to write in anyways. :tongue: If nothing else I'll use it for plot ideas and character development instead of the actual story. 

They are always useful especially when out and about away from computers! And keeping track of things!

I found an old one I had bought years ago and had not used yet. It has dividers so have everything sorted out :D

• Like 2

I've always heard little bits about nano, but never really looked into it. Is the point supposed to be writing a whole book within a month? What happens if you don't finish it? What if you only get halfway done? Is there a certain word count target that you try to hit?

I have 2 story ideas I've kicked around. I tried writing 2 chapters in one of them. Re-read it. Hated it. Deleted it forever.  But I still have a skeleton outline of what I want to have happen in my head. It's been stuck there for years.

The general idea

The goal is 50000 words. You win if you get there. Nothing happens if you can't.

I'm a pantser, so, no outlines, plots, nothing! :)

Just a general idea!