(Oct 27th-Nov10th) The Bye Weeks Challenge

Seeing as there are two weeks between the end of the last challenge and the start of the new challenge I wanted to make something to keep us going.

I know I am here every day looking to see what people are up to and frankly the thought of two weeks away has me shakin' like an addict going cold turkey.

So I thought we could have a little personal Bye weeks challenge, nothing as full on as the full 6 weeks monster challenge but just something fun to try.

So if you wanna join in it is super simple, there are three Quest headers below, decide what you will do to achieve these quests over the Bye period and keep updating with how you're getting on

Quest One

Try something new this two weeks that you have always wanted to try but never gotten around to

This could be trying a new exercise class, dance class, gym or martial art, sorting out your finances or mail, trying some weird new recipes (like cheese, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with coffee - honestly it works!)

You only need to do it once so if it sucks it doesn't matter, but if it is awesome then you have opened up a whole new world for yourself.

Quest Two

Make yourself a mini fitness goal or training commitment for this period and stick with - seeing as it is only for two weeks it can be as crazy as you want

Do you want to try handstand practice every other day, or try a crossfit workout everyday, maybe you want to spend a little bit of time trying kettlebells or going to a new and different gym to see what it's like, or perhaps you would like to lose 3lbs over this period

It could carry on from and support your last challenge, or be a little trial for your next challenge, or just something off the wall for a bit of something different

Quest Three

Even pro athletes deserve a bit of fun between seasons, so I want you to pick one thing that gives you unadulterated joy and do it.

Is there a play or show you have always wanted to see, do you enjoy fine cuisine, maybe you'd get a kick out of having some buddies round for an autumn barbecue, or get in touch with those friends that always make you laugh and have a gaming night.

On nearly everyone I have followed this challenge they have either been crapped on or have worked through some serious obstacles. I know during a 6 week challenge I feel frazzled by the amount I learn about myself and the personal barriers I break down, so before that whole process starts again let's have little respite and remember what it means to be us.

So it's as simple as that, let the world know the ways you are going to tackle these three quests and keep us all updated with your progress, I can't wait to read it

• Like 8

Cool. Thanks for doing this, ItsDaniel!

As easy as... One... Two... Three...

Quest One

Quest for Fire

Use that glass bead making kit that has been sitting in the closet for four years! Once.

Quest Two

Explore the World of the Assassins

Try out some new exercises that fit into "the world is your playground" philosophy - handstand preparation, animal flow, balance, agility. 2x per week.

Quest Three

Fiddle for Fun

No scales or exercises, no fixing, no fretting over tone or intonation. Simply play - whatever I want for as long as I want - as long as I do a minimum of three minutes each day between October 28th and November 10th.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Let's fill in that form...

Quest One: Arranged to attend a tricking lesson this Sunday. Flashy mobility stuff such as this and parkour have long been on my list of things I'd like to try out

Quest Two: Still attending my CrossFit box regardless of challenge. Also following this thread for mid-challenge workout quests

Quest Three: Cooking seems to be a pleasing thing I've left behind but recently got back at it, just yesterday actually, seeing as my previous arrangement wasn't working out

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Cool. Thanks for doing this, ItsDaniel!

As easy as... One... Two... Three...

Quest One

Quest for Fire

Use that glass bead making kit that has been sitting in the closet for four years! Once.

Quest Two

Explore the World of the Assassins

Try out some new exercises that fit into "the world is your playground" philosophy - handstand preparation, animal flow, balance, agility. 2x per week.

Quest Three

Fiddle for Fun

No scales or exercises, no fixing, no fretting over tone or intonation. Simply play - whatever I want for as long as I want - as long as I do a minimum of three minutes each day between October 28th and November 10th.

love it, I had no idea you played the fiddle? how long have you been playing for? also you definitely need to post up the fruits of your labour with the bead kkit

• Like 1

So for me

Quest One

I have always wanted to try American Buttermilk Biscuits with sausage gravy but we have nothing like it over here, and I have been a bit put off from making it from scratch because whilst I'm an experienced cook I'm not an experienced baker.

But I'm going to give it a try

Quest Two

Trying the new training plan that the gyms personal trainer has created for me, having a blast at it for two weeks should give me some idea of what tweaks we might need to make going forward, and it will give me an idea of if I can commit to exercise 6 days a week

Quest 3

Few things give me joy more than playing computer games offline with friends in the same room as me, a few snacks and a few beers, happy days. But I don't seem to have done it in like forever, so I am going to pick up one of the Madden games (never played one before) and get the boys round for a gaming night

• Like 2

I hope its ok that I just up and joined in without direct invitation.

Quest One   Something new.  Make something with acorn squash.  I bought one yesterday.  Now to figure out how to cook it.

Quest two Fitness Goal  aka  Swinging metal.  I love sword form  I have a new one to learn. Every day I need to take one move and break it down and practice it.  There are more moves than 14 but if I can get solid on 14 moves, I will be well on my way.

Quest three   Something fun.  Give myself permission to go to the book store and get as many books as my credit has left (+$10) and read a couple of them.  Take time to sit and read, without guilt of all the other things that need attention and doing.

• Like 4

Excellent.  

Quest 1 - something new: ???  I need to put some thought into this one  Try quinoa.  I bought some and haven't tried cooking with it yet. Now is a perfect time.

Quest 2 - something fitness: continue YAYOG and I've started running.  Well, alternating running and walking a la C25K, sort of.  I'll be picking up my battle log again to track that as well. (Link in sig)

Quest 3 - something fun: I have been so stressed and overworked, i just want to spend time with the family.  Play games with the kids and the MR.  We've been putting off our family D&D game because I haven't had time to dig into the story.  I want to make time for any fun quality time with the family.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I hope its ok that I just up and joined in without direct invitation.

Quest One   Something new.  Make something with acorn squash.  I bought one yesterday.  Now to figure out how to cook it.

this is the first time I have ever even heard such a thing existed 

Quest two Fitness Goal  aka  Swinging metal.  I love sword form  I have a new one to learn. Every day I need to take one move and break it down and practice it.  There are more moves than 14 but if I can get solid on 14 moves, I will be well on my way.

Awesome, what style of sword do you practice?

Thanks for setting this up! I'm in.

Quest One - Something New. We just got a new cookbook that looks amazing. I'm going to choose a recipe that looks challenging and give it a shot. 

Quest Two - Fitness Goal. I'm going to complete weeks 8 and 9 of YAYOG. I've made too much progress there to quit now. Will also do the two week mini-fitness challenge.

Quest Three - Something Fun. There's an awesome old school video arcade near here that I've never been to. I'm going to make time for that and rock the old video games!

• Like 2

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Quest 3 - something fun: I have been so stressed and overworked, i just want to spend time with the family.  Play games with the kids and the MR.  We've been putting off our family D&D game because I haven't had time to dig into the story.  I want to make time for any fun quality time with the family.  

Family d&d sounds like an awesome idea, I know you have been running from pillar to post this challenge just gone so making some sacred time that nothing is allowed to interfere with for family dnd sounds like a great idea

• Like 1

Thanks for setting this up! I'm in.

Quest One - Something New. We just got a new cookbook that looks amazing. I'm going to choose a recipe that looks challenging and give it a shot. 

Quest Two - Fitness Goal. I'm going to complete weeks 8 and 9 of YAYOG. I've made too much progress there to quit now. Will also do the two week mini-fitness challenge.

Quest Three - Something Fun. There's an awesome old school video arcade near here that I've never been to. I'm going to make time for that and rock the old video games!

What's the cookbook? I'm always on the look out for a great new cook book?

Also that old school arcade sounds brilliant fun, I can't remember the last time I video gamed old school

What's the cookbook? I'm always on the look out for a great new cook book?

Also that old school arcade sounds brilliant fun, I can't remember the last time I video gamed old school

It's called The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook. My fiancee read the book and said it made a lot of sense. I've just skimmed the cookbook and some of the recipes look pretty interesting. I'll give a report after looking it over more carefully.

I may be dating myself here, but I loved Tempest when I was in high school. Loved it. I hope they have it!

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Alright Aces, you have inspired my something new challenge - cooking it is.   I bought a package of quinoa months and months ago thinking i would give it a try and I have yet to do it.  I also just got a recipe from a friend for firecracker chicken.  I think it might be the perfect companion.  This will be a good transition into my next challenge as food and cooking will be large components.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Ok, how does one get into this sort of thing?   How do you start?   I've got a sword I bought a long time ago.  I keep it in storage.  It's such a shame.  

this is the first time I have ever even heard such a thing existed 

Awesome, what style of sword do you practice?

Acorn Squash is green and looks like a weird pumpkin. Tons of info if you Google Acorn Squash.  A friend dared me to get one and try it.  Now I'm searching for a simple recipe to make with it.  found one with bacon... gonna try it.

Tai Chi Chen Jian  (straight sword double edge hand and half with a 28 inch to 31 inch blade)  I use a rigid blade that weighs about 3-5 lbs.  the flexible blade and the collapsible blade weird me out.  swords aren't supposed to jiggle.

• Like 1

Ok, how does one get into this sort of thing?   How do you start?   I've got a sword I bought a long time ago.  I keep it in storage.  It's such a shame.  

I joined a dojo.  My school has a weapons training platform.  Found that I enjoy the weapons training with a variety of weapons.  Since I'm new to this I am focusing on the basics right now and that means sword.  Eventually I want to move to the more unusual weapons and really intricate patterns.

I'm learning Karate, Tai Chi Chen, Weapons, and self defense....all at the same time. I love it because I am not restricted to a rigid training system or drone work. (They also do sparring but I am medically disqualified for that...) I love that my instructors find what appeals and what works for each student and then encourages them to expand on their natural inclinations and talent.  This isn't to say I don't have to do the learning of all the steps, even if they feel awkward and would never be usable for me in any situation, everyone has to know the material for their skill level and exhibit proper form and technique.  I just have more freedom to expand learning in areas I show an affinity for.  Makes learning all of it easier.  My instructors will also bring in guest instructors if someone demonstrates quick growth or natural skill in an area or technique to enrich what we are being taught.   Everyone benefits from the guest instructors too.  Exposure to different teachers and styles.  I love it.  I'm a scattered personality, and learning more than the movements of the hands and feet is important for me.  Not knowing what I will learn from one class to the next makes it exciting to go to class.

Rambled there a bit.. sorry. 

• Like 3

Howdy! I want in on this mini-quest :)

Quest 1: Swimming (I have a pool date scheduled for Friday)

Quest 2: 10 standard push-ups in a row (I can do about 5 right now)

Quest 3: Wednesday night pub quiz - because Pubs. and Quiz. :D

I'll keep track of everything over at my Battle Log, but will be sure to post some update here too. 

Whoop Whoop!

• Like 1

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

I was only thinking the other day it feels like forever since you posted up images of what you had been cooking

IF YA SMELLLLLLLLLL...

if-ya-smell-o.gif

What D_R(ock), is cookin'...

IMG_20141028_133637.jpgThen you probably smell buttered veggies (carrot, zucchini and red pepper) under chicken breast, cooked in butter and cocoa. Oh, and I used a marvellous goat butter for this one. Much richer smell and taste

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Something new: I'm going to use those darned exercise bands I bought a while back. Try at least half a dozen exercises and see how I feel the next day.

Fitness goal: Running a marathon on Sunday, so that's my main focus. Also going to play with the morning stretching routine I might work into my next challenge.

Something joyful: I'll have one "home spa" night. I'll plan ahead to make sure the house is clean and I can have a nice healthy dinner, have a nice long yoga session (with music, candles, all the nice extras), do some pampering (bath, nails, skin care etc) and then do a little reading or writing.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016