Mel-Issa's slow road to recovery and improvement.

Hi.

Challenges don't work well for me, so I am going to be trying this instead.

Okay so let me tell ya a little bit about myself. I am currently a stay at home mom, well part time due to custody agreements, who has a hard time staying motivated to do anything. It really sucks.

I have been on this weight loss journey for almost 3 years now and haven't gotten anywhere. Granted that's not for the lack of trying, it's more for a lack of motivation and commitment. I keep trying but once I start failing at something, I give up completely on everything.i do feel that it might be easier for me if I had someone or ones around to help hold me more accountable, but since I don't I will need to rely on the wonderful people in NF for help with that.

f9816870bb0edc1b8a71207224dbaa4d.jpg

As you can see I have some very simple goals set up with consequences. Yes, I love to crochet so I have a lot of yarn floating around my house. 1 basket of projects I am currently working on, 1 bag of projects I need to do, 1 basket for the afghan I am making myself (it's going to fit a queen size bed) - oh and a plastic bag in my bedroom closet that has more but not all that I need, 1 basket of miscellaneous yarn and a tote somewhere that has extra year that was going to be for a couple projects that I am no longer doing. So for me to not be able to get more yarn, it is a huge punishment. I am always adding new projects before finishing old ones. Being without a job, I always have tv on for some noise, be it a movie or a cheesy rerun on the basic channels I get.

October was the month of surgeries for me also. It started on October 9th when I had a tailors bunion removed. (In case you don't know what that is, it's a bunion on the outside of your foot by your little toe.)

I have pictures of it in the spoiler, nothing to yuckie, but not everyone will want to see them. I had the stitches for about three weeks and have doctors orders to not workout for an additional 6 weeks. :( When I got my stitches removed, I asked if I could start with doing some body weight stuff, my doctor was nice and said ONLY as tolerated but do not go for long walks yet. Okay, I can deal with all of that. But that changes my workouts that I wanted to do.

af0ed4bf09107679710544e82e3474ae.jpg

I was stuck in this until October 27th.

c3af042f3b1f605a87f7d29e3c92251b.jpg

Once the stitches were removed, this is what the scar looked like. It is about 2 inches long.

Then on October 30th, my 37th birthday, I had laparoscopic bilateral tubal ligation, aka my tubes tied. So much stomach muscles are weakened and I have a lifting restriction until November 13th. Ugh - that changes what I can really do also, especially since physical therapy wants me doing core exercises.

I will find all the exercises I am going to be doing and putting the links here so I have a way of tracking. As I get to being able this is going to be what I am going to be doing:

- 3 sets of 10 kneeling push-ups (will working on normal ones as allowed)

- 3 sets of 15 body weight squats

- 3 sets of 2 laps of stair walking(15 steps is one way; one set is up and down)

- 3 sets of 15 straight leg leg raises

- 3 sets of 10 back pack rows

- 2-3 sets of 30 seconds sitting hamstring stretches Here

- 2-3 sets of 20 second Iliotibial band stretch Here

- 2-3 sets of 10 stomach laying straight leg raise, holding each for 5 seconds Here

- 2-3 sets of 15 lower ab exercises Here

- 2-3 sets of 15 side lying ab exercises Here and Here

- 2-3 sets of 15 seconds Soleus stretch Here

My physical therapist says that I also need to work on strengthening my quads and I should be doing leg presses, but I have lost my gym membership. :(

Sent from my iPhone using

• Like 1

Okay so this plan should have started on Monday the 27th, well it didn't. :( I woke up on Tuesday with my rib muscles spasming so I didn't do anything. Here it is Wednesday and I still haven't do any sort of working out or stretchcing. :(.

I have checked in with Katie everyday. Haven't fully checked in with Mike.

I AM tracking all that goes into my mouth. :)

I am limiting my caffeine to 20 oz max each day. Today I haven't had any - well tea, but no coffee or soda pop.

My computer is dead - I can't even turn it on - so looking for a job is impossible. :(

On a typically different note - I can not wait for Friday to happen. I can get back to taking all the meds I need to keep pain away and me emotionally stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second surgery done and went well. :) The recovery from this one I think will be slower. Especially since it involves my stomach muscles. The part that really sucks is that I can't take a bath for 30 days - well 28 days from now. Caffeine is staying the same with 20 oz max per day, kinda checking in with Mike, I do check in with Katie, figured I'm going to have to use my hot spot and iPad to look for a job - which I am desperate for (to the point of going to fast food to get one), tracking is still happening. Ummm thank that's all.

• Like 1

Yippee!!!! I'm super excited! Yesterday while I was showering, I tried to do a body weight squat and I DID IT WITHOUT PAIN!!! Soooo I really get to start all of this and I will be doing it today.

Yesterday, I took Big K to PT for her knee. Let's just say she and I will be spending a lot of time stretching and strengthening muscles together. I will try to get posted the exercises we will be doing. I will be doing those on top of what my pt has prescribed and what I have listed above.

I have also come to realize with all of the surgeries I have just gone though and how out of shape I am, I am not going to be doing any mud obstacle courses this year. Big K agrees that we both need to take the year off to get out knees fixed. It is something I want to get back to doing, but I need to make sure that I will be able to physically handle what comes my way. No more getting dizzy or out of breath on the course just by doing one obstacle. I want it to be more getting over things mentally when I do another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Harsh reality set in this weekend. I realized that I should be checking in with two people, both of who said they would help hold me accountable, but neither of them are doing anything to help hold me accountable. I had chosen these two people because they were both inspirations and important to me in my life. Guess I was wrong for choosing both of them. So now I am back to square one with the accountability - me, myself and I - the only one who can hold myself accountable.

So since I can only rely on me, how am I going to make sure I am doing everything? Ugh!! Okay - stop and think.

1) Tracking food and beverages - this one is going good actually right now. Since this one is okay, I'm not going to change anything with it.

2) Stretch every day - I need to really work in this one as I am currently struggling. This is one that I need to be held accountable for.. For this one I think I a going to be posting daily - on here - that I did it.

3) Do body weight exercises - 3-4 times per week - This is another one that I need to really work on and to be held accountable for. . For this one I think I will also post on here daily what I did and that I did it.

4) Cut back/out caffeine - I'm doing good on this one. Tea is going to be my only exception for this. . Since this is going okay, I am not going to change anything with it.

5) Check in with Katie and Mike DAILY -This is not going to happen so I'm on my own.. My accountability will be done on here.

6) Look for a job - This one is not going well as of right now. But that will be changing this week now that I can move a lot easier. Think I will post what companies I have applied for on here every day, or how long I spend looking for a job, along with where I looked for jobs at.

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this thread...but I've found you now....

Ok, you and I have a goal to hit between now and the new year....

7 weeks - 

2#  a week - can you do that?

I'm trying for 3# a week - 

where do you want to post our weigh ins, our mfps, our whatevers?

/I need some accountability...you need accountability...lets finish this year out strong!!!!

I love you - sorry I haven't been here for you!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I love you too CA. It probably got missed because I haven't been very active on the forums or public about it this time. :) It's okay.

I can try for 2# per week. Ultimately my goal right now is to get in the habit of working out. I am not going to try to overwhelm myself while doing this by trying to take on to much at one time. You can choose where we post. :) I didn't weigh myself this morning like I wanted to, so I will just go with my weight from yesterday.

Okay just gonna post this here: 15.8 pounds left to lose before I get back to where I was at the start of the year. :( 18.6 pounds to get to my lowest recorded weight. (This is what I would LOVE to hit by the end of the year). This last year I put back on 24.8 pounds.

• Like 1

You didnt gain the weight over night, you are not going to lose it over night.  Just stay slow, steady and disciplined.   :positive:

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Friday - no exercise... Again. Today I have just been numb. I haven't wanted to do anything. Not crocheting, watching TV, sleeping... Nothing. I hate this stage of grieving. I did get my room cleaned and started in on dishes. I have also been fighting a headache from crying yesterday.

Saturday - nothing. Ugh this isn't going as planned or wanted. Since today is Sunday and the start of a new week, I'm just going to start fresh.

Today I will:

- eat healthy and within my calories. done

- stretch. done

- do squats(3x15), push-ups(3x5), leg raises(3x20) done

- finish dishes. done

- help Papa get stuff listed on Craigslist so that he can get the house back to normal done

- try to explain to kids and papa why I won't be at the funeral after all. papa wants me there so I will be there

- take all of my meds done

- take care of myself done

• Like 1

Maybe instead of coffee try soda water with lime, it gives you the soda feeling without any harmful chemicals, caffeine is overrated as you are learning. And maybe trade in the yarn for a hobby that requires movement of the entire body. I feel for you believe me we all struggle , your battle log is inspirational thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Maybe instead of coffee try soda water with lime, it gives you the soda feeling without any harmful chemicals, caffeine is overrated as you are learning. And maybe trade in the yarn for a hobby that requires movement of the entire body. I feel for you believe me we all struggle , your battle log is inspirational thanks for sharing

I - since my first child - cannot do lemon or lime in water. I don't drink much soda - maybe 20 oz. it's either coffee or soda but not both. :)

Yarn is a way I relax. I also make stuff for friends or to sell.

Okay since I liked the list yesterday, let's keep it going:

Today I will:

- clean the bathroom. Done at 8:30pm

- take out all trash. Done at 11:16am

- stay caught up on dishes. Done at 9:19pm

- do a squat thingie stretch here Tried but was having problems breathing so going to wait until I lose more weight to try again.

- stretch. Done at 9:53am (I was doing these at the same time as the other exercises)

- track food. Done away 7:59pm

- do squats 3x15, leg raises 3x20, push-ups 3x5. Done at 9:51am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa

• Like 2