• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Noname123

Beer and other guilty pleasures...how do you deal?

I love the lot of you. I foolishly cut out beer while training for my triathlon. It was very much missed. I don't really record my weight much but visually there has been a difference since knocking back 2 with dinner and then a few during the games.

Girlfriend loves Philadelphia Pale Ale and we always get a case when we visit the families back in Philly.

I enjoy the pumpkin beers as well, but a bigger fan of oktoberfest brews when it comes to fall seasonals. Come Christmas time I will be searching for the elusive Mad Elf....mmmm

• Like 1

Oh and while it's fun to discuss the amazing beers we love I thought it only fitting to mention the shit beers I used to drink before I became a "grown up"...

-PBR pounders (amazing bang for the buck and can still be found in my fridge from time to time when feeling nostalgic)

-Lionshead bottles for the puzzles on the caps

-Coors & Miller's lite

-and one awful night with Natty Ice

• Like 1

I love the lot of you. I foolishly cut out beer while training for my triathlon. It was very much missed. I don't really record my weight much but visually there has been a difference since knocking back 2 with dinner and then a few during the games.

Girlfriend loves Philadelphia Pale Ale and we always get a case when we visit the families back in Philly.

I enjoy the pumpkin beers as well, but a bigger fan of oktoberfest brews when it comes to fall seasonals. Come Christmas time I will be searching for the elusive Mad Elf....mmmm

We just got some cases of Mad Elf in at our local bottleshop! We've been starting to get more Troegs down here this year... I've never had it but looking forward to trying it!

I only got turned on to beer like 3-4 years ago, so I don't really have any bad starter beers to share... I did really used to like those tankards of TGIFridays pre mixed Hurricanes though. Ugghhhhh.

• Like 1

We just got some cases of Mad Elf in at our local bottleshop! We've been starting to get more Troegs down here this year... I've never had it but looking forward to trying it!

Where are you located? Lol I'll buy the first 2 rounds!

• Like 1

The nice thing about pumpkin ales is that there is a pretty decent variety that can actually cater to different tastes. I normally steer clear of sweet beers but prefer the sweeter pumpkin ales, I am not a fan of the ones that taste like liking the interior of a gourd.

Usually I'm all about IPAs, the bitter the better.

• Like 1

Oh and while it's fun to discuss the amazing beers we love I thought it only fitting to mention the shit beers I used to drink before I became a "grown up"...

-PBR pounders (amazing bang for the buck and can still be found in my fridge from time to time when feeling nostalgic)

-Lionshead bottles for the puzzles on the caps

-Coors & Miller's lite

-and one awful night with Natty Ice

I remember many moons ago getting the keg if Harp and Bass and everyone going bonkers because it was the closest we had to craft brew in the 90's.

Knew a guy that only drank Labatts Blue, just to be different, until someone told him it was the Canadian version of the good 'ole Silver Bullett.

The nice thing about pumpkin ales is that there is a pretty decent variety that can actually cater to different tastes. I normally steer clear of sweet beers but prefer the sweeter pumpkin ales, I am not a fan of the ones that taste like liking the interior of a gourd.

Usually I'm all about IPAs, the bitter the better.

Ten Ninety's De Ogen sounds like your speed.  Pumpkin Saison..much less sweet than most Pumpkin Ales, nice spices, good funkiness..well balanced and bombers go for about $10.  It's definitely one of my new favorites because it breaks from the pack and offers a new perspective.

Wait, weren't we supposed to be giving feedback on how we deal with guilty vices like beer? Not providing 3,000 suggestions for new brews to try? :D

Have you thought about drinking from really tiny cups? If you alternate arms, and drink from a thimble, you might burn more calories than you're taking in (please note I have zero scientific evidence supporting that theory).

• Like 4

Ten Ninety's De Ogen sounds like your speed. Pumpkin Saison..much less sweet than most Pumpkin Ales, nice spices, good funkiness..well balanced and bombers go for about $10. It's definitely one of my new favorites because it breaks from the pack and offers a new perspective.

Where is Ten Ninety out of?

Wait, weren't we supposed to be giving feedback on how we deal with guilty vices like beer? Not providing 3,000 suggestions for new brews to try? :D

Have you thought about drinking from really tiny cups? If you alternate arms, and drink from a thimble, you might burn more calories than you're taking in (please note I have zero scientific evidence supporting that theory).

Oh! I thought we got past that silly part and just decided to keep drinking!
  • Like 3

I don't dig porters either, I can't remember having one I've ever enjoyed...

Here's my weekend submission - visited the Allagash brewery in September and picked this one up fresh. Also got to tour the brewery and the room where this was sitting in bourbon barrels... it smelled amazing!

c9d2453eadd9da08ed381a00359648ae.jpg

Cheers, friends! :)

Pumpkin beers are not a thing over in Europe, the only one I've seen (and had - completely delicious) this year is Fat Jack by Boston Brewing Company. I've got a friend who is going to send me some Warlock, but I heard it was better last year.

• Like 1

I think you need to make that beer a pleasurable pleasure instead of a guilty one. Plan your beers in advance. Make a list of all the pumpkin beers you want to try and cross them off.

Invite friends over to share the beer. Make it a special, quality experience. But try to not overindulge everytime you have that beer.

• Like 1