Beer and other guilty pleasures...how do you deal?

Bottle shops are great for this. I can try all the things I want without having to buy 4-6 of each.

I mostly agree - our local bottle shop is bombastic - but the super-rare stuff never makes it to the singles cooler and flies off the shelves fast so it's either act or miss out!  I'm not sad about keeping a couple bottles in the aging cabinet for down the road, though. :D

A shop that sells singles, bombers, multipaxks, wine... usually they have a selection for you to drink on premesis! (sp?)

The one I go to is a repurposed house with a kitchen, rooms with couches, and a beer garden so you can drink in or outside. Food trucks come here too! It's grand. :D

• Like 1

Yep, a bottle shop is a place where you can buy individual bottles of beer. Typically they have a bunch of the drink refridgerators you see in convenience stores lined up down the walls, each row in the fridge being a different beer, as well as shelves with room temperature beers.

20130501_bottleshop.JPG

20131031-271946-portland-best-bottle-sho

They then typically have all the empty 4 and 6 pack containers the beers came in folded up and in big piles by the front door. You walk in grab one (or more) containers, then go through the store and make your selections, each beer being individually labeled for price. You then go to the register and they tally you up.

It ends up being slightly more expensive as the beers are more marked up, but not too much more. If I'm remembering correctly, the beers run mostly around $1.75- $3 each depending on how expensive it is, though they go higher than that for the really expensive stuff, scaling pretty much proportionally to the normal bulk case prices you pay.

Yeah my favorite place was the Foodery. GREAT selection.

This makes me miss Philly

My favorite is Pinocchio's in Media. Funny, the first image that I posted above from the google search is actually of Pinocchio's and I didn't know it.

• Like 2

I had a cupcake made with Young's Chocolate Stout last night, with bourbon vanilla frosting. It was amazing..  and I'm trying (and failing) to not feel too bad about it today. ^-^;

emcee made something similar for us at the Texas meetup earlier this year. It was so good. She wouldn't let my pregnant wife have one though.

• Like 1

Seriously, you guys...makes me want to drink.

I stopped when I did a Whole30. I was doing 1-2 a night. Like everyone else here, I'm a craft guy so it was usually one of my favorites, 4 Peaks KiltLifter. Not too many options in my little city, though the local bars are starting to get more craft brews. 

As for advice on how to limit? I just quit. Now I don't need it, but will still enjoy one from time to time. It's just out of my mind. The other thing is I usually drank socially, so at home I don't drink often. And with my son being born, the only social time is with him in my presence and I refuse to even have one drink if I'm driving him around. Just not worth any type of incident being blamed on alcohol.

• Like 2

My next challenge once the holidays are out of the way is to do a severe beer cut. I think really just being more mindful about how much beer I'm consuming is something I'm going to need to work on - one leads to two and three... and it's not good. I know I feel better when I drink less and I know it's just hamstringing my fitness progress. It's such a social thing for me though - boyfriend and I don't have any kids, and we are good friends with the owner and staff of our bottleshop.

It's hard. I'm really just going to have to strictly limit myself and stick to it, and see beer as more of a once in a while treat and not constant and social..

• Like 1

It makes a big difference, cutting back that is. Especially on tolerance, it only takes me 2-3 on an empty stomach to start feeling great!

Definitely a social thing for me, because if I'm out solo with friends and don't have to worry about driving, I am most definitely partaking in a few choice beverages.

• Like 1

Mainly weight for me. I ran my first 5k last December after going out to a strip club with some friends and their lesbian friends (i don't know why I needed to say that but I felt it was relative) and had a few whiskey drinks and slept only a couple of hours beforehand. I felt fine, actually set a PR. So I'd guess unless you got blasted often, it won't really affect your training.

Pizza on the otherhand, really makes me feel lethargic.