Beer and other guilty pleasures...how do you deal?

Not sure what the question was. Mmmm craft beer. Mmmm IPAs. I've unfortunately had to swear them off indefinitely. At ~250 calories a pop, plus dehydration which strongly impacts my ability to lift heavy shit... I've determined it isn't worth it. I managed to gain 30 lbs in grad school from IPAs (and maybe the cheeseburgers contributed a little), and I'm not trying to gain that back again. I can drink 2 Miller Lite tall boys for the caloric cost of 1 IPA and I'm just not a 1 beer kind of gal.

Haha, originally it was to see how other people cope with things they REALLY want even if it's just empty calories (Beer, cake, muffins...that sort of thing) but the love of beer has spiraled this into a pretty epic beer discussion with a little advice here and there which I'm pretty ok with :D 

• Like 1

Oof, 3 Floyds is like gold around here!

Yeah, so I hear..my store bulks up on Zombie Dust for special events, so we always have a private stash on hand (also Gumballhead)..and right now I want to say we have a selection of about 10 of their bombers..so getting my hands on 3 Floyds stuff is easy.  Barnaby Struve, their co-founder, can be found in our shop a few times a year..I met him on St. Patrick's day this past spring..in a nutshell, one of our regular customers "used" to be his girlfriend..they still have a standing arrangement..and we still get first crack on the good stuff!

Where are you based out of? I'm in Sweden so shipping across the ocean will get very expensive very fast.

Chicago..and I may be willing to ship beer overseas..I'd have to see what you can get ahold of.  Because of cost it may be a one time deal, or once a year..just depends how it breaks down.

https://www.systembolaget.se/

Though in Swedish the search function is really good and english names and brands will still be in English.

Once you are on an individual beer page you should see this in the top right corner of the beer view:

Lager i butik

Välj butik

Click on Välj Butik and you'll get the locations, in the list at the top click Västerbottens län, if that isn't there I can't get it. Once you click on it you'll get a selection of stores, I can get to three. Umeå Wasagallerian, Umeå Ersboda and Umeå Strompilsplatsen.

Chances are just about anything you can get from Sweden except for Swedish brews will be cheaper to get within the USA, but if you find some stuff you want, we can see if it is affordable to work something out.

Oh also you can use chrome to translate the site, it does pretty well.

Personally I have cut back completely unless I want to have a drink socially, in which case I restrict myself to 1 or 2 beers.

I also drink plenty of water at the same time and ask for lime and ice in so it looks like a gin and tonic, gets you past peer pressure.

I have times when i know I will go all out, but these will be special occasions that matter far more than my diet,  if i was doing it weekly I would look to cut back as it will be hard to keep within any form of decent calorie control. 

At the end of the day, its your life, do what makes you happy, drinking pumpkin beer is amazing!  But its very much a choice of the balance you want in your life.  

Thread RESURRECTION!! :D

Oddly enough I think my body has decided on its own that it doesn't want to tolerate beer any more... if I have more than one I just start to physically feel like junk, especially my stomach, and I usually sleep like a dumpster fire to boot.

I had a 9% stout aged in Jameson barrels yesterday for St. Paddy's and it was delicious but a. my tolerance has gone WAY down, b. I slept like a dumpster fire, and c. I really don't have any desire to have any more drinks in the near future.  I think my taste profile combined with what my body needs right now for my fitness goals thanks to constant exercise has finally switched....?  I much prefer water or tea now and will only really "crave" a beer very rarely, and even then it's very easy to talk myself out of it.

Thread RESURRECTION!! :D

Oddly enough I think my body has decided on its own that it doesn't want to tolerate beer any more... if I have more than one I just start to physically feel like junk, especially my stomach, and I usually sleep like a dumpster fire to boot.

I had a 9% stout aged in Jameson barrels yesterday for St. Paddy's and it was delicious but a. my tolerance has gone WAY down, b. I slept like a dumpster fire, and c. I really don't have any desire to have any more drinks in the near future.  I think my taste profile combined with what my body needs right now for my fitness goals thanks to constant exercise has finally switched....?  I much prefer water or tea now and will only really "crave" a beer very rarely, and even then it's very easy to talk myself out of it.

What if I can find those barrel aged old rasputin's again tho?  I need to drop by the store that I saw those at a few months back, lol

I saw the word beer and as a fellow craft beer lover, I had to pop in. I deal with guilty pleasures - like delicious beer - by enjoying them ;)

I've had a beer every day for over three years now. I do have the benefit of being young and very active, but I'm still conscious of my overall intake and usually work them in by cutting something else I'd enjoy (like dessert).

Same! I can't do the heavy beers like I used to.

A fine scotch though, I can still handle that like a champ! Fewer calories, longer to nurse and drink, plus I look classy drinking it over a beer. Win all around for me. 

I'll always be a beer guy at heart, but a good scotch is a nice change of pace. What kind are you into, Slates?

• Like 1

I saw the word beer and as a fellow craft beer lover, I had to pop in. I deal with guilty pleasures - like delicious beer - by enjoying them ;)

I've had a beer every day for over three years now. I do have the benefit of being young and very active, but I'm still conscious of my overall intake and usually work them in by cutting something else I'd enjoy (like dessert).

I'll always be a beer guy at heart, but a good scotch is a nice change of pace. What kind are you into, Slates?

Right now I'm all about Glenmorangie 18 and a nice little blend from the Compass Company, Hedonism (surprisingly good for a blended grain scotch whisky!)