• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LazyDragonAR

Left Hook + Shoulder Pain

Hey folks!

Is shoulder pain fairly common with left hooks?  Could it be I'm doing something technically wrong that causes it?

I perform them by raising my elbow up parallel to the ground, shoulder height, and then with my knuckles facing my opponent using my legs and hip to come across.

Is there a usual suspect for this sort of thing?

Maybe I need to think about keeping my shoulder blade back nice and tight throughout the punch?  I currently raise my shoulder up like I'm arm wrestling when I throw it.

Which way does your palm face when you throw your hook? Speaking from experience, I used to have all sorts of pain because my hand positioning wasn't good when it came to my hooks.

Overall, it sounds like you need to work on technique. Do you have a coach available who can analyze your hooks?

EDIT:

Coming across with your hip is fine, but which way does your arm move whilst your throwing the hook? Some people have a bad habit of flaring their arm back as they hook. Your arm moves back but your body moves forward, which will stress the joint upon impact.

Does that sound more related?

Coming across with your hip is fine, but which way does your arm move whilst your throwing the hook? Some people have a bad habit of flaring their arm back as they hook. Your arm moves back but your body moves forward, which will stress the joint upon impact.

Does that sound more related?

Thanks Sugar Ray, my palm faces toward my face.  Hrmm, you could be right about flaring my arm back as I hook.  I should try and find a resource that explains in detail the right sequence for launching a hook.

I haven't boxed in a while but I was thinking about joining a local Muay Thai gym again.  The last tournament I was in my shoulder bugged me for a quite a while after.  I have a Karate background so the hooks and uppercuts are a bit foreign to me.  The Muay Thai gym I was at before could have done a better job on Monitoring technique so its very possible I'm doing it wrong.  I wish there was a boxing gym close to me, I could really improve with my hands.

It mostly depends where you aim for hand placement; if you're carrying out a hook to your opponent's head the palm is better off facing down, but when you're aiming for a hook to the body it's better for the palm to face towards you.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that the pain in your shoulder comes from cocking your arm back whilst leading with the hip. Best thing to do is drop your arm forwards and throw from there. Yeah, it might feel more powerful if you cock your arm but actually, you lose power as well as speed.

It's a common mistake, though, don't worry about it too much.

I honestly feel as though it's better for you to join up your local MT gym before practicing boxing style punches on your own.

This is because people tend to form bad habits if left unchecked for too long. I've tried to train people with such bad habits; makes learning boxing so much harder than it should be and increases the chance of injury by a lot.

• Like 1

I always have a feet first rule, meaning only throw the punch once your feet are where they need to be. If you're stepping into your punches, you shouldn't be throwing the punch until your feet are set. This could easily lead to the cocking your arm back, then stepping forward, which will throw your arm in a bad position with hooks. Try drilling that, step, punch, step, punch. it will slow you down at first, but it's a very fundamental thing. You could also try putting a band around your arms, it would hold your elbows in and arms forward and prevent them from coming back too far.

These are just things I've tried.

• Like 1

What position is your head in when you throw the hooks? If you're tucking your chin when you throw them, you lock out your shoulders and limit your range of motion which could be the issue.