shoulder pain

Okay, I know nobody here is a doctor, but wondering if anyone can give me some insight.

I have shoulder pain, and I don't think it's a rotator cuff thing, when I read up on it, it said you would have trouble lifting above your head, or reaching up, not the case.

I can lift a barbell easily, shoulder press is not a major problem...but I can't do a push up unless I tuck my arms in tight to my sides. I also could not do a lateral raise, that hurts like the dickens. 

I am wondering if some basic rehab is all I need, but I wish I knew exactly what it was that was hurt. The shoulder seems to have 400 muscle groups. 

Anything in here seem okay? There are some on here i couldn't do, because it's a lateral move....

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/PDFs/Rehab_Shoulder_5.pdf

Never let your fear decide your fate.

It could still be a rotator cuff issue.  Does it hurt in the musculature or is it a deeper pain?  Is it sharp and stabby, or more of a burning ache?  All of those are great rehab/prehab exercises. 

What happens when you try to lift to the side?  Does your arm just drop, like there's no strength in it?  Or does it just hurt really bad.

*sigh* I'm all too familiar with that. I had the same problem in the beginning of August.

Quite possibly a rotator cuff injury. The rotator cuff has several "tendons" (probably a better term for them) that go to a bunch of different areas (chest, tricep, shoulder blades, etc), so pain with all sorts of movements could be related to the rotator cuff.

Best thing to do would be to find a good Physical Therapist, if that's an option. Shoulders are awfully complicated. If that's not an option, I'll at least provide what I did. Still rebuilding strength, but overall it worked.

My therapist had me doing the Sleeper Stretch (#5), as well as two others:

http://www.knowyourback.org/Pages/BackPainPrevention/Exercise/StretchingFlexibility.aspx - did the Doorway Chest Stretch, but only with one arm. Hold for 30 seconds, 3x a "set", 5 sets a day.

I don't know the name of the other, but basically put your injured arm behind your back like you're holding a boquet of flowers behind your back, and bend your head toward your opposite hip (so if right shoulder, look to your left hip pocket). Again, 30 seconds, 3x a set, 5 sets a day.

Hope that helps... but really, find an expert who can test you in person.

Thank you so much! I am going to give these exercises a go, and see how it plays out. It doesn't hurt all day long or anything, but I can certainly tell when I move the wrong way. I don't know how to describe the pain, it still feels strong, but when i do hurt it, it's kind of deep and stabby. 

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I also had a very similar injury...2 times now. I used the same exercises and stretches as the above pdf both times.

I never got a clinical diagnosis since I hate/fear/loathe doctors but it is likely tendonitis that I had.

If your smart unlike me and go to a doctor to get looked at they will likely start you out on those exercises but it is good to make sure you don't have a tear.

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge