Hanging out in Between

....... This may have been one of those moments when I came up with my own name for a move again, I'm noticing I have a habit with that.  I think it's technically called back extensions, but that's a bit ambiguous and it works the lumbar region of the back = lumbar lifts.

Ok, you know those Roman chairs/ hyperextension lower back machines?  

I don't have one of those, but I used to use them at the gym.   You can mimic it fairly well without the machine, just set your feet shoulder width apart, keep back and legs straight and bend at the waist.  It works the lumbar region of the lower back.  To increase the resistance, hold something weighted like a heavy book or medicine ball to your chest.  Or use a resistance band secured under your feet and pull up in the center (again secured to your chest).  Almost like straight leg deadlifts, but the weight is positioned differently and the focus will be lifting with your lower back and not your legs.  

You can also, after a progression, use a bar and add weight that way; which is what I plan to work up to.  I'm just using a band right now.

I found a bunch of pictures to demonstrate, but NF wouldn't let me post them;   

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

How did your interview go?

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

How did your interview go?

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

Didn't get it, I'm way over-qualified and they didn't think the job would hold my interest.   And really, provided I pass the bar this next time, I'm really only looking for something to last 7-8 months or so.  I feel kind of stuck on the job front, just about everything that would make use of my degrees, requires licenses.  I'm perfectly willing to do something that only requires a bachelors, but those employers want someone committed to long term.  

I did find and applied to a job with one of the local universities for investigating allegations of sexual misconduct that seems interesting.  It doesn't require a license and it fits my degrees, and it's something I could see myself doing even after I pass the bar; so I'm hoping I can get that one.      

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Do you know when you go for the bar again?

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Cool. Do they tell you what you missed so you know what you need to study?

Spoiler

Some states do, but not Missouri.  I know what I did wrong though. I only finished about half of the test.   I over-studied during the months previously and was so burned out by the time I hit the bar, I couldn't focus very well and majorly ran out of time.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

I mile yesterday and some kicking drills.  The kicking drills lift my legs super sore; my flexibility and precision were just sad.  I don't need any more than that to find my motivation for regular workouts again.  I've just been measuring weight and inches the past few months, but I don't really care what my weight does; skills however,  skill levels are not allowed to fall.

Looks like I'm training martial arts for a while.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

15-ish min of random kicking and punching line drills yesterday.  Form still awful but already better than the day before.  Also a better workout in general than anything I've done over the past several months; so that's good.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

50 squats yesterday,  15 rear leg lifts, and 20 side leg lifts.  not much else.  I don't anticipate many more evening walks after day light savings ends. It'll get dark at five. I suppose I could go out earlier in the day, but I'm always working then.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

hopefully you can stick to a good studying schedule and not burn out this time

• Like 1

Spoiler

The key for a good study schedule will be finding a job with regular set hours, which pays enough I can get my own place and have more control over my environment. Studying from home did not work well for me.   I recently applied for a title IX job with a local university, I really want that one. It will use my degrees but doesn't require a license in anything, (which is where I'm finding my pitfalls).   *fingers crossed* 

The bar prep course opens up in a couple of weeks, and I'll have twice the amount of time to study for it as I did in July.  I've already planned to stagger my studying so it's not every day (or at least, only for a couple of hours a day) to avoid burnout. That's what I've been doing with the MPRE this time around and it's worked much better.

• Like 3

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

I'm trying to keep my workouts small and simple right now to build back my habit of working out every day.  If I can't get motivated for big thorough workouts, I can at least be habitual about little ones.

3 miles yesterday, 3 TKD forms, 10 pushups

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Been away for a bit.  Have the MPRE on Saturday, so been prepping for that. Last time I missed the passing mark for my state by one point; don't want to do that again.   I've really only been doing a couple TKD forms the past few days.  My hand technique and power has picked back up, and footwork is getting better. Also did seven in a row last night before I started to get winded.  Last week that was happening after each one.  Slow and steady improvements I guess.  Daily water has still been low only 3 or 4 glasses a night, but carbs have been regularly under six lately; so progress.  

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

All  TKD forms yesterday, and 50 pushups.

It's interesting, I always find myself just going through the motions with my lower belt forms, and by the time I get to my blackbelt forms, striking with precision and purpose.  I think it's because when I learned my lower belt forms, the instructors were just pleased when I remembered them properly; but when I learned the black belt forms, if I didn't target and move with a purpose, they'd hit me with a padded stick.   Such is life, I suppose.

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog