• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Taijibum

How many Tai Chi people are here?

How many Tai Chi people are here? What and how long have you done it?

Me: Yang style until excommunicated by the Yang family. I started in 1985 and got serious about it in 1988. These days I only do the 24 Forms and standing.

Been thinking of a Tai Chi challenge like the Yoga challenge….

I started taking Tai Chi about 2, 2 1/2 months ago.  I don't know the lineage of my teacher, and the order of the moves in the 8 form I have been taught does not match any I have found online.  It does seem closer to Chen than any other style, though.  In the middle of learning a 24 form and should start doing push hands soon.

Hahaha... I was just being funny about being excommunicated. The Yang family just changed things and made their lineage "Official" so many off shoots of the Yang style can't be called Yang style anymore such as the super popular Cheng Man Ching style that I descend from.

I picked up tai chi about 15 years ago and did it for a couple of years - then I moved, got busy with work, and stopped going to classes. I've been doing it again for the past year. I do the Cheng Man Ching form right now and will be starting tuishou soon. There's a sword form class which I am dying to join, and also a Yangjia Michuan form and a neigong class - these are invitation only and I need to put in more time before I'd be eligible. 

• Like 1

I would love to begin a Tai Chi practice.

Sadly, I live in a very rural area and the closest class I can find is a 2 hour drive, one way.

I have had some success going the DVD route to get into Yoga. Could I do the same for Tai Chi or would the video method be ineffective/harmful? I do have a martial arts background and do understand many of the principles of movement common across the various Asian martial arts, if that would be of any help.

I started Tai Chi in 2005 and studied with a Sifu for eight years and have been practicing solo for the past two

Yang style 24 and 108

Some swimming dragon and Wing Chun si Kim doa

• Like 1

I tried to pick up Tai Chi from a video (Yang style) but I find it unbelievably hard! It's like my body just does not want to do what the video is showing me to do. I figured with something so relaxed and slow, I should have no issue, besides maybe memorization -- I learned there is much more to it than that! I am humbled by the folks who can remember and perform so many forms so well. 

I took a class back in college, also the yang style, 24 forms simplified. it was the only thing I was able to feel my chi, or heat my body up "at will" after completing the semester and practicing. It was awesome but sadly I didnt keep practicing for long and now I don't remember most of the moves and my flexibility is worst. If the challenge comes up I'll check it out.

• Like 1

Hello, my first post. Sorry, for any difficulties english ist not my native language.

I'm a chen style guy. Been 8 years since i started. I do the two to three handforms we have, learned and forgot again the sword- and saber forms. I try to take part in a push hands competition at least once a year (both fixed and moving step). 50% of the time in class we do fighting applications of the form movements. Some times i play around with my dagan(long spear) and the bang(piece of equipment to train grip strength) and even took the assistant teacher certification. 1 - 3 times a year i substitute for other teachers, when they can't make it to their classes. But i don't have students of my own.

• Like 1

I to live in a very rural place so tai chi is not an option for me in terms of a live instructor. I do have a really interesting book that takes you step-by-step through the chen short form. I've found some good videos of this exact form on YouTube and intend to slowly try it out. I know learning without a teacher is not ideal but I feel if I make sure each form and transition is correct and don't rush it I will gain benefit. I'm a novice meditator and I think moving meditation is a wonderful concept.

Any suggestions for home study? Online resources, DVD that sort of thing

I basically have the same question.  I wanted to incorporate tai chi into this challenge and I found a website that I thought would be more instructive but just lists the move for the forms but doesn't tell how to do them.  I've found a few videos online but they aren't that helpful.  Is this something I can learn on my own or do I need to find an instructor?

Working with an instructor helps because if your stance or position is off by a bit an outsiders point of view can help see what you can not.

Erle Montaigue used to have a whole series of free videos the broke down the Yang form into bite size pieces that were very helpful but since he passed away I don't know if they are free any longer. 

Thanks.  I'll check that out.  I was looking to learn the Wu form but at this point any good resource I could find would be great.  If I can find a resource just to do some learning through this challenge then perhaps I'll look into an instructor if I want to keep it going. 

On and off been doing tai chi in various styles for about ten years. I don't remember exactly when because it was only a curiosity at the time. Started with some unnamed style (Wudan?) in my teens but that was more qigong, barely any form at all. Followed that with Li style, took up taoist tai chi (Fung Loy Kok?) during that, then dropped them all and learned the Yang 24 form from youtube. Currently been doing Wu style for a year.

I don't think I'll be happy until I get to try Chen style to be honest, that's the original style and I feel like anything else just isn't quite the real thing somehow.

• Like 1

I started Tai Chi half a year as a university sport course. I really enjoy it and it encouraged me to give meditation another chance. Before I couldn't find any peace at all. Today the new semester starts and I really hope the new course will have new members. Last semester we were only two students. And I considered joining a Tai Chi school after university, if I get a job. I really think Tai Chi changed my mental well being. I have handled stress better and managed to listen to my own body.

• Like 2